2019 Golf Thread of Dominance

Lurch

Another 86 today but from tees that are further back than my usual. 37 putts which is pitiful. 2 doubles and a handful of pars or so. Couldn’t hit any putts outside 3 feet. 

I know you can’t do this but... should have been an 82 easily. Trending down to 14.7.

• Like 1

That’s insanity. Guy probably lost his caddie job over this. Hopefully the USGA doesn’t allow him near an event and if everyone here is lucky hopefully he never sets foot on a course that you play. What a cunt. 

• Like 1

Playing Briggs Ranch Friday.  Hear it is a difficult track.  Anyone hear have any insight?

One of the best tracks in the state. Schlongconnery and I played last April. Locker room is fabulous as is the card room. Practice facility is top notch. Don’t miss the fairways.

af41cba3a83c1611d344be863e766df0.jpg53d9618ca0180922c7c1f0c8f4a081dc.jpg5b87b45524abdd1851278c06f3198855.jpg24f2a5cf2e69b42762b349681a3bc403.jpg1346f1563380ef341d160295ef522503.jpg735abf7a5927f33758ccdd330317f323.jpg06a1f6f7f98065be753382441638f2d1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

photoblast post...just back from hawaii.  played manele course on lanai (80) (thanks to post pops on here for recommending) and the bay course on maui (75).  bay course was nice, manele is a lifetime experience.  it is the most beautiful course i have ever played.  not terribly difficult but an experience like few others.

manele:

IMG-3634.jpg

IMG-3641.jpg

IMG-3643.jpg

IMG-3657.jpg

IMG-3658.jpg

IMG-3671.jpg

IMG-3673.jpg

IMG-3679.jpg

IMG-3682.jpg

IMG-3696.jpg

IMG-3702.jpg

IMG-3704.jpg

IMG-3708.jpg

bay course:

IMG-3896.jpg

IMG-3900.jpg

IMG-3905.jpg

IMG-3913.jpg

IMG-3915.jpg

IMG-3918.jpg

IMG-3927.jpg

• Like 6

Got out this morning and shot a real bad 90 on a 136 slope. Bumping a 94 off my card next revision. Trending down to a 14.0. Going to play 2 more times this weekend see if I can get sub 14 next revision. As it stands I will have dropped from 19.6 at the 6/15 revision to 14.0.  I’m jacked about that as I thought 14 would be a massive undertaking to get to. Now I have my eye set on 10 by the end of the year. 

• Like 1

Had my best weekend/round ever at my home club this weekend. 76-72. 8 birdies over 2 days, and both rounds included a blow up double bogey and at least 3 three putts.

Short game and putting need some tweaking but my ball striking is the best it’s ever been. (14 GIR Sunday).

Have finally had a breakthrough!

• Like 2

I'm really struggling on when to get new clubs.  I know new equipment won't fix a swing but I'm pretty happy with my swing at this level right now.  It needs to get better to get to a 10 but I also use irons that weren't fitted to me (ping E1 4-PW), my cleveland wedges are probably 7 years old, I can't hit the cobra F5 driver I have from about 4 years ago, and I'm carrying an old cleveland 3 iron for a driving iron.  The club I'm most comfortable with in my bag is a rocketballz 3 wood that is getting pretty dinged up.  There is not doubt I have technological deficiencies on the driver/3 wood/3 iron/wedges, even if those are just needing a less worn version of the club.

I've got a few gift certificates to club champion so getting a proper fitting for the full bag would cost nothing.  I've got the scratch to do a full replacement, but don't know if I should go now, wait til the last month of the season and just have fun until then, or if I should hold off until my handicap stabilizes and I really struggle to get any better scores.

Thoughts?

If you like where your wing is at and, importantly, feel like you can be consistent at the fitters, I’d go now. If you’re not certain, I’d keep hitting the range until you are. A free session is fantastic, but if you waste it with a bad swing, you’ll just be frustrated with the results.

Keep in mind, you don’t have to BUY right now. You can still capture the fitting results while your swing is solid and wait to fire at new clubs until the time is right.

I'm definitely not going to fit a driver at this point.  I need to, but I haven't swung one in over 2 years so that wouldn't be productive.  I'm thinking I'll go in and get the wedges, 3 wood, and a hybrid or two.  Those swings are really comfortable and grooved.  Then I think I'll do irons once my handicap stops improving by .2-.5 points each round I play.  I think I can get to 12 by September if I keep up at this rate, though things will get tougher when all of my scores are 90 and below.

I also have some cleveland TA2 irons that I played before my pings.  I might go back to those and see if I can play them because they were meant for low-mid handicappers and if I'm headed that direction it might give me some insight into the type of club I should be moving toward.

My big frustration with my bag is that I bought my cobra from a guy that was wearing a lot of king cobra gear.  Bought the pings from a golf galaxy guy that only had me try 3-4 clubs before saying "these are right for you".  I don't feel like I've had an agnostic/objective professional help me.

Edited by Jhawk

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

I’m still using my SLDR 3W. Older than the Rocketballz. Can’t find anything I can hit better.

Hell my old Taylormade Tour 200 Duffy is still a great head.

Your V steels are still popular on tour.

Rocketballz older than SLDR. 

I still hit a taylormade burner superfast 3w that I bought in I think 2010, still love it. Until I got my m4 driver, that 3w off the deck was my favorite shot to hit. 

I need to get my iron play figured out. My scoring average by par:

3 - 4.6

4 - 5.3

5 - 5.3

Im just as likely to make a 4 from the fairway from 230 with a 3w as I am from 130 with a pw. 

My current fairway rate is 66%.

GIR rate is 23%. 

And my iron misses are all over the place. Slices, hooks, fat, thin, shanks. I haven’t been on the green in regulation on a par 3 in at least 2 full rounds. 

Edited by heso

I hit my rocketballz great so I’m not too sure I’ll replace that. However right now I use that off nearly every tee unless there is a narrowing fairway and need to go iron to stay back from trouble. If I introduce a driver to my game then I’ll probably use the 3W twice a round at my home course and once or twice a round on my second most played course. So it probably doesn’t make sense to replace that club. 

Talking with my old man this morning and he said that getting the right shafts completely changed his confidence in his irons. Which I think is a big next step for me. Going from hit it near the green for a pitch and putt to “I can put this on the green” is exactly how I’m going to lower my scores going forward. 

I hit my rocketballz great so I’m not too sure I’ll replace that. However right now I use that off nearly every tee unless there is a narrowing fairway and need to go iron to stay back from trouble. If I introduce a driver to my game then I’ll probably use the 3W twice a round at my home course and once or twice a round on my second most played course. So it probably doesn’t make sense to replace that club. 
Talking with my old man this morning and he said that getting the right shafts completely changed his confidence in his irons. Which I think is a big next step for me. Going from hit it near the green for a pitch and putt to “I can put this on the green” is exactly how I’m going to lower my scores going forward. 

If you’re going to get new shafts for irons you might as well just get new irons.

Grooves wear out, and I suspect technology will provide noticeable improvement since you got your current set.

Yea that’s my plan for this off season: take a handful of lessons and go to CC for an iron fitting. I’m long enough off the tee and usually in the fairway, so it I can start converting those into more GIRs I should be able to  make a big leap in my scores. 

You should check your course handicap with the ESC max score. I’ve found the best way to get snowmen off your card is to have your max allowable score be a 7. 

Note that on 1/1/2020 the ESC rules change significantly. the max score on any hole for handicap purposes goes to a net double bogey. So if you score an 8 or higher on a par 5 hole for which you get a stroke you can record an 8. If you make a 7 on a par 3 for which you get a stroke you can only take a 6. And if you don’t get a stroke on that hole you can only take a 5. The intent, or at least the effect, will be to lower the handicaps of golfers in the 10-18 index range.

On 8/3/2019 at 7:41 AM, Jhawk said:

You should check your course handicap with the ESC max score. I’ve found the best way to get snowmen off your card is to have your max allowable score be a 7. 

I was unaware of that. Upon closer inspection that snowman should have been marked a 7. 

I’ve never been one to take a max score. I’ve always just golfed my ball until I got it in the hole and marked whatever I came up with. I’ve carded an 11 on a par 3. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heso said:

I was unaware of that. Upon closer inspection that snowman should have been marked a 7. 

I’ve never been one to take a max score. I’ve always just golfed my ball until I got it in the hole and marked whatever I came up with. I’ve carded an 11 on a par 3. 

Yeah I battle with how I play, especially with others. When I’m by myself I card my true score. With others I’ll take the max and say something like “that’s a 7-x for me” signaling that I’m out of the hole even if a 7 would have won it.  I don’t want to hold up play  

I’m also becoming a miser on gimmies. I’ve watched my business partners argue on the course because one will give a 3 footer and then won’t get it back from the other on a later hole. Same with drop zones and liberal use of the gallery rule where if there were 1000 people watching we wouldn’t have lost the ball. The rules are in place to account for this stuff so obey them and there will never be any question. Especially when money is on the line. 

Edited by Jhawk

Yeah I battle with how I play, especially with others. When I’m by myself I card my true score. With others I’ll take the max and say something like “that’s a 7-x for me” signaling that I’m out of the hole even if a 7 would have won it.  I don’t want to hold up play  
I’m also becoming a miser on gimmies. I’ve watched my business partners argue on the course because one will give a 3 footer and then won’t get it back from the other on a later hole. Same with drop zones and liberal use of the gallery rule where if there were 1000 people watching we wouldn’t have lost the ball. The rules are in place to account for this stuff so obey them and there will never be any question. Especially when money is on the line. 

Missed a downhill 2 foot par putt yesterday that was well within gimme range. Comeback was 6 feet. Two putts later I owed the group a pitcher of beer (local rule is a four putt buys a pitcher).

Yep. I’ll give you a 1 foot or less but anything more starts to get discretionary. Business partners were arguing on two putts being inside the leather as they were both close. Took a minute and a half of bitching between the two and I said “well I’m not giving either of you the putts so you don’t need to measure.” They both missed.  Basically, they’re so insufferable when they compete against each other that I became a dick and that’s how it works from now on. 

Edited by Jhawk

Yea for me it’s pretty situational. If it’s a straight forward 3’ putt for double bogey I’m much more likely to give it to you than I would be to give you a shorter downhill breaking putt for birdie. If it’s for par or less, just put the ball into the fucking cup.

And if someone is that adamant about being given a putt they should probably work on their putting. I couldn’t bring myself to ask for a putt, regardless of giving a putt of a similar length. If you’re gonna give it to me I’ll probably take it, but if not I’ll just step up and make it (or more than likely, miss it and then tap in, but my putting average is in the upper 30s). 

Edited by heso

Rewatched some older TopSpeedGolf videos and Clay talked about flattening at the top by slightly rotating left (front) humorous clockwise leading front elbow to go from pointing down to pointing out and wrist turning door knob clockwise, and matching that with the right humorous, elbow (out to down) and wrist turning clockwise as well.

Took that to the course today and was blistering my drives and irons were dead on target. I think I have recently been too steep and somehow compensating to get good results.

I get so focused on hands and hips, I forget about arm action sometimes.

I need a recommendation for lessons in DFW.  I used to be pretty good, then my swing went to shit, then my back went to shit.  Haven’t swung a club in 2 years due to the back, but It’s improved to the point that I think I’m ready to play again and I would like to start back with some professional guidance.  

On 8/7/2019 at 9:05 PM, Steel Shank said:

I believe next Tuesday is the last day the Kinser family will operate Butler P&P. From what I understand, C3 & Co, are going to screw it up. Better get over there and play before it's too late.

Why do you say they are going to screw it up?  I have no idea, just curious.  Seems like they are willing to put a little money into it which the Kinser's didn't, hence the shitty conditions.