2019 Golf Thread of Dominance

Lurch

On 8/9/2019 at 11:31 AM, chitwood said:

Why do you say they are going to screw it up?  I have no idea, just curious.  Seems like they are willing to put a little money into it which the Kinser's didn't, hence the shitty conditions.

My buddy and I talked with a guy who is in the golf business who volunteered his help to the Kinsers. He said that the new folks want to put in a music/putt putt area where 8 and 9 are, then reconfigure 1-7 into a 9 hole par three. He said the new guys aren't going to do anything the first four months, let things "quiet down", then start making the changes. It'll be around Christmas time when folks are busy and aren't thinking about Butler.

I certainly can't speak for anyone else, but trying to squeeze 9 holes out of 1-7 is screwing it up. It'll be a cluster fuck on the south side of the course.If people want putt putt, i"m sure there's one close by somewhere. Maybe something that's been around a while.

But hey - C3! They're cool!

3 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

My buddy and I talked with a guy who is in the golf business who volunteered his help to the Kinsers. He said that the new folks want to put in a music/putt putt area where 8 and 9 are, then reconfigure 1-7 into a 9 hole par three. He said the new guys aren't going to do anything the first four months, let things "quiet down", then start making the changes. It'll be around Christmas time when folks are busy and aren't thinking about Butler.

I certainly can't speak for anyone else, but trying to squeeze 9 holes out of 1-7 is screwing it up. It'll be a cluster fuck on the south side of the course.If people want putt putt, i"m sure there's one close by somewhere. Maybe something that's been around a while.

Hahahahahahahahaha ... hey @chitwood I fucking told you so.  Fuck, I just want Butler to stay the same, because changes to that place remind me that I'm getting older. Progress is inevitable. First they came for Armadillo World Headquarters, but I was too young. Then the Black Cat burned down, but I didn't go to 6th all that often. But Butler Park is a step too far.

8 and 9 are the best holes out there. Burn down that shittastic 3rd hole if you want - the back corner of that lot will hold a food truck pavilion and music lounge, and you can insert another 60-yard hold between 8 tee and the putting green, or even just do away with the putting green and use the space for another hole.

But. It doesn't matter. In two years, the new operators are going to complain to the city that the current configuration of land (i.e. golf course) is too difficult to run profitably, and recommend that the city investigate other ways to use the property. And two years after that, we'll have more condos.

I LIKE condos. Our urban density is still shit, even after the 10-year boom. We can't magically make more space for highways and we refuse to put light rail to the university or to the airport (you know, where people actually GO), so our traffic is going to continue to suck. Making the urban core more dense is our biggest remaining weapon. But does it have to be THIS LOT that we put more condos on?

On 8/7/2019 at 7:35 PM, Lurch said:

Rewatched some older TopSpeedGolf videos and Clay talked about flattening at the top by slightly rotating left (front) humorous clockwise leading front elbow to go from pointing down to pointing out and wrist turning door knob clockwise, and matching that with the right humorous, elbow (out to down) and wrist turning clockwise as well.

Took that to the course today and was blistering my drives and irons were dead on target. I think I have recently been too steep and somehow compensating to get good results.

I get so focused on hands and hips, I forget about arm action sometimes.

I love you man, but you think too much :). (miss you in Austin BTW).

Played on Friday with my youngest who is in town for another week before heading back to Austin for his Master’s.

I was busy at work and had to hustle to get there on a late Friday. No practice swings, no putts. Just walked up to the first tee ice cold. Shot my best round ever (beating my round from 2 weeks ago). 70 with two 3 putts and missing a very makeable short par putt on 18.

Bad part is my index is trending down another full stroke and I made no money in the process.

• Like 3

I love you man, but you think too much :). (miss you in Austin BTW).

Guilty! I’m way too mechanical, but I’m making real progress on the swing (if not my score). When we last played I had no forward shaft lean. Now that I know what hitting it pure with compression feels like, I’m constantly chasing it.

12 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

Thanks for the info. That does suck. 

• Like 1

Played on Friday with my youngest who is in town for another week before heading back to Austin for his Master’s.

I was busy at work and had to hustle to get there on a late Friday. No practice swings, no putts. Just walked up to the first tee ice cold. Shot my best round ever (beating my round from 2 weeks ago). 70 with two 3 putts and missing a very makeable short par putt on 18.

Bad part is my index is trending down another full stroke and I made no money in the process.

Oh man. How long was the putt for a 69?

The backstory....I’m a former collegiate baseball player with a baseball swing and only play about 2-3 tournaments a year which involves heavy drinking...so basically, I’m not good.

Well, about a week ago I played my first round of golf by myself (wife rode in the cart/drank beer) at the course at the Inn of the Mountain Gods in New Mexico.

Was actually playing better than expected (despite my wife commenting how bad I sucked) and came up to the par 3 18th with a chance to break 100. I hit a badass shot (for me) to get about 8 feet from the pin and 4-putted it for a 100 even. Was really trying to break the 100 mark.  

The putting game killed me. Had plenty of opportunities to put for par and even some realistically make-able birdie puts, but couldn’t knock them down and then the fast sloping greens would turn what should be an easy 2nd put into another almost impossible 15 footer.  Kind of funny, because I’m usually the good putter in our work tourneys.  

All in all, it was fun, we had beautiful weather and my wife is already talking about doing it again. 

• Like 3

Las Campanas Santa Fe.

Excellent track if you can get on. They are proud of it though.

8274fb8e760b3f9d0b13cb754ec83c2b.jpg

Aspen Golf Club. It’s a muni and used to be $40 in the 90s. No longer cheap. But still a FUN spot. Was in excellent shape.

542b44fff8578e503a384ad72b8ffb93.jpgce546b00d50766bfb39dcbfe23b09e82.jpg

Sent from my golf picture taking machine

• Like 1

Man, all these pics make me want to go play golf soon. I've barely played this year outside of my trip to Bandon in the Spring and Torrey Pines a month ago. I'm heading to Boston in a few weeks and will try to play a course in that area but am going to be rusty as hell for my club championship in Sept. Young children kill your golf game

I played Arrowhead for the first time ever last week...man, what a fun and beautiful course. And it was in fantastic shape. 

I also had the opportunity to play Bluejack for the first and only time a couple of months ago...that place is so unreal that it’s silly. Full service golf experience is an understatement. 

F7E3D8DF-D3D1-4241-A18C-F33058A47FC6.jpeg

3F71F115-6689-4A47-856A-D6ACB707FB81.jpeg

• Like 1

Arrowhead might be the most fun I've ever had on a golf course. I have a picture of my dad and I on what I think is the teebox of the hole AFTER the one in your second pic, PH. That golf course was absolutely stunning, and in great shape, AND at altitude. I love seeing post pictures - it's clearly unmistakable. I really need to go back out there ...

• Like 1

Arrowhead might be the most fun I've ever had on a golf course. I have a picture of my dad and I on what I think is the teebox of the hole AFTER the one in your second pic, PH. That golf course was absolutely stunning, and in great shape, AND at altitude. I love seeing post pictures - it's clearly unmistakable. I really need to go back out there ...

I dunno. Do they serve pitchers of frozen deep eddy on the course?

Since we are talking about tracking putts, I had 37 yesterday.  On a round of 87.   With 4 fairways hit.

2 one-putts.  A sand save on a par 3 and a 30 foot birdie.  That's a lot of scrambling around.  Not sure what all of that is meant to say other than I have room for improvement.

Yesterday I completely botched a golden chance to break 80 for the first time in at least 15 years. Was 6 over through 15 and smoked my drive right down the fairway, but ended up with a double on 16 followed by another double on the short par 3 17th. Could have saved an 80 with a birdie on the par 5 18th (par 71 course), but three-jacked it from 20 feet for an 82. I haven't hit the ball this well since I was playing every day in undergrad. I have been trending steadily down through the 80s in my dozen or so rounds this year, and I definitely have the bug again after years of being indifferent towards the game. I actually want to go to the range and hit a bucket of practice balls, which is a foreign concept to me.

Recommend me a good rangefinder without breaking the bank. Preferably with slope feature. I like Bushnells but not looking to drop that kind of coin at the moment.

If you’re older and have shaky hands, find one designed for that. Otherwise I strongly suggest finding a used one on eBay. Best I can tell they suffer ZERO degradation over time. Mine (Bushnell V2) is probably 10-15 years old and still works/looks like new.

I personally find very little value in the slope feature. It seems like a solution looking for a problem. I feel like I can comfortably aim dead flat ahead and tell through the lens how much above or below the crosshairs are from the flag and that gives me enough to work with. To the extent you trust its calculated number (which I wouldn’t because of factors including wind, trajectory, green firmness, etc) you could determine online how they derive it and get close enough with my eye test on an older model.

You might check the bushnell factory outlet. Sometimes they have good stuff. Not sure if they have an online store but I know they have one in KC since that’s where they distribute from. My buddy dropped my rangefinder in a creek so when I’m in KC in a couple of weeks I’ll probably swing in there and get a new one. 

You might check the bushnell factory outlet. Sometimes they have good stuff. Not sure if they have an online store but I know they have one in KC since that’s where they distribute from. My buddy dropped my rangefinder in a creek so when I’m in KC in a couple of weeks I’ll probably swing in there and get a new one. 

Also Carls Golfland and some other online places are running end of summer sales. You might find a good deal at one of those places.

I just won the new Bushnell that somehow takes in to account temperature and air pressure. I gave my old leopold to my dad to donate to his buddy at the club he belongs. Let me see if he has given it away or not, but if he hasn’t, I’ll give it to you. It’s beat up and the lens is pretty dim, but it’ll get you a number. No slope though. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tommy Nobis said:

Recommend me a good rangefinder without breaking the bank. Preferably with slope feature. I like Bushnells but not looking to drop that kind of coin at the moment.

Not sure what the slope feature is, but I can't play without my Bushnell GPS watch.  It gives you front, middle and back yardages and it matches the yardages on the sprinkler heads pretty much to the yard.  I like it because it's always on my wrist and I don't have to carry a rangefinder with me when I'm away from the cart--and I try to walk whenever possible anyway (carts are for the fat guys).  IIRC, they are like $170 or so.  It also saves a little time vs. a rangefinder.

I prefer the flexibility of a rangefinder over GPS. I’d guess I shoot a tree, bridge, bunker, 150yd marker, or a cart in front of us 5+ times a round. It’s also useful on the driving range.

GPS definitely superior for blind shots and front/center/back.

I like the gps on the grint app because you can drag to any point to get distances to anywhere for edges of fairways, bunker carries, etc. My friend has a watch and the always on convenience of front middle back seems nice. I wish I had a range finder to get more accurate distances for iron carry distances.