Insomnia

jofus

18 hours ago, Hugh G. Rection said:

Don’t worry, there are more jobs out there.

Well that is true, it can be rough for someone 62 years old that works in a very specialized construction field such as drill shaft piers.

First company meeting went fairly well Saturday. I am however quite pissed already this morning as it seems now they want me to go working night shifts and we can switch my salary does not cover. They might f****** and this will be my last day.

They also want me to start working 7 days a week which is a complete non-starter for me.

Edited by SHOOTER12

11 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

They read this thread and saw you weren’t sleeping anyway.

Seriously though, new management sounds like assholes. Are they aggy?

Damn, posting on Surly burned me. Don't think they are aggy, a least no tell tale signs.(yet?)

$50/week raise? Kiss my ass goodbye.

Could be worse - my brother worked the night shift 6 nites a week on the criminal ward at Austin State Hospital from 1959 - 1961 @ $185/month while carrying a full load at UT and raising three little kids. He was 22 when he graduated in 1961.

Edited by Armybrat

17 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Could be worse - my brother worked the night shift 6 nites a week on the criminal ward at Austin State Hospital from 1959 - 1961 @ $185/month while carrying a full load at UT and raising three little kids. He was 22 when he graduated in 1961.

Ah the good old days...I remember dating an RN who worked at the state hospital in San Antonio. The phrase "South Presa" should ring a bell with anyone familiar with SA back in the day.  She loved to take me to work with her just to watch me freak out.  Screw that noise.  It takes a special person with a special heart to deal with crazies and psychopaths.  God Bless them, I couldn't do it. 

Yes, it could be worse. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2019 at 6:25 AM, RPM said:

I have to get up at noon and I'm not even remotely sleepy.

Deja vu again. Why the fuck is it so hard to go to sleep? It's not like there's anything exciting happening on Surly I can't miss.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I'll sleep when I'm dead. Used to crawl to the weekend with hopes of maybe getting 5 or 6 hours of sleep. Woke up in a panic about work at 3AM this morning. My phone knew what was up as it gave me a notification that traffic to work was light & my commute time was 11 minutes.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/15/2019 at 12:43 AM, Buzzrock said:

So much stress at work. Why do the demons come at night?

This x1000. We're in the midst of an office relocation. Going from a  privately owned facility located on hundreds of acres of natural beauty to a newly built--actually, still being built--leased building in the concrete jungle. Two year project comes to reality next week when people start moving. Then the real bitching begins.

At least the timing of nightly "wake up from a dead sleep in a panic with brain going 1,000 MPH" was pretty decent. Fast Times at Ridgemont High was on at 2AM this morning. 

Edited by GhostOfTomJoad
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

OK, this shit is beyond getting old and it's affecting my work performance. Any Surly Docs have a recommendation for a sleeping pill that won't leave me fucked up or wandering around hypnotic like Ambien? 

2 hours ago, RPM said:

OK, this shit is beyond getting old and it's affecting my work performance. Any Surly Docs have a recommendation for a sleeping pill that won't leave me fucked up or wandering around hypnotic like Ambien? 

I'm not a doctor, but play one every chance I get, and I recommend Qualudes.

On 12/23/2018 at 7:38 AM, RPM said:

I think part of the problem I have sleeping is sleep apnea. I've never been tested or diagnosed or whatever the hell you get, but people always bitch about my snoring. That doesn't have anything to do with me not going to sleep. I just can't shut my mind down. More accurately, it doesn't want to shut down.

Did you ever have this checked out?  Snoring isnt necessarily indicative of sleep apnea but if people say you quit breathing for a short period of time then it quite possibly could be apnea episodes. 

23 hours ago, RPM said:

Try this:

No caffeine after noon

Crank the AC in your bedroom

Turn lights off or low in the evening

Exercise, but no more than 2 hours before bed

6 minutes ago, RPM said:

Never tried it, but willing.

It's good stuff, and I get the natural. It puts me out and has none of the side effects you're concerned with.

I also have borderline severe sleep apnea and will be getting a CPAP soon, so I have that going for me, which is nice. 

On 7/11/2019 at 6:48 AM, RPM said:

Ya tried xanax?

Both would and wouldn't recommend. For very different reasons. 

Melatonin kind of works for me sometimes, sometimes doesn't seem to do much. NyQuil just leaves me feeling like a zombie the entire next day. Enough booze to knock me out and I have to deal with that whole "being hungover" nonsense. 

I need to do a sleep study or get it checked out though, I know my snoring is bad and I feel like I don't breathe well at night. 

20 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Ya tried xanax?

I use some lorazepam now and then, but like you said it's a double edge sword and I only get 10 a month. In fact I took one last night because I had a 6 hour turnaround to a 16 hour shift. Didn't even get drowsy.

Working on 30 hours no sleep so far and it's kicking my ass. Livin on NOS and 5 Hour Energy. Only 6 more hours to go, then an hour drive home unless I pass out before I get there.

Edited by RPM

4 minutes ago, RPM said:

I use some lorazepam now and then, but like you said it's a double edge sword and I only get 10 a month. In fact I took one last night because I had a 6 hour turnaround to a 16 hour shift. Didn't even get drowsy.

Working on 30 hours no sleep so far and it's kicking my ass. Livin on NOS and 5 Hour Energy. Only 6 more hours to go, then an hour drive home unless I pass out before I get there.

Yeah it isn't great for sleeping because you build up a tolerance super quick. 

Be careful on the energy drinks and sleepless benders man - I've totaled a car after nodding off. Wouldn't recommend it. 

• 1 month later...

Welcome back old friend.

took a melatonin (10g), a unisom, and drank sleepy tea all spaced out within a hour of each other and here I am wide awake. 

Tool a unisom last night at 12 and didn’t start to really fall asleep until 4. Sun woke me up at 7.

doc will absolutely not prescribe me anything which I guess I good.

I buy the Zarbee’s children’s melatonin so that I can ramp it up and down easily. I’m out, need to get more. Work stress has been getting me up at 2 or 3 lately. I usually manage to fall back asleep about 10 seconds before the alarm goes off.

• 1 month later...