Insomnia

jofus

On 12/23/2018 at 7:38 AM, RPM said:

I just can't shut my mind down. More accurately, it doesn't want to shut down.

This is me.  Not the apnea, but the racing mind.  It's terrible.  Imagine when you are fast-forwarding through a show on x3 speed.  That's what's going on in my mind.  This week, four nights, maybe 12-14 hours total sleep.  Fucking awful.  Looking at a "Whoop" (different from what SA's mom wears) strap.  

I take a bevvy of bullshit:  CBD/theanine.  Tylenol/Advil PM.  Lunesta (prescription for this).  Even have one of those super-heavy blankets (thing weighs like 20+ pounds).  Try and use meditation aps.  I just can't "turn it off".  Then have anticipation anxiety.  "Ok, tonight I HAVE to sleep, etc"

Anyone tried CBT therapy?  Done a sleep study? 

This could also go in the "wives" thread.

We have a tempur-pedic mattress we bought about 5 years ago.  Great investment--no back pain, etc., since we bought it.  But (as any of you that have one know) it retains heat.  You wake up 2-3 times and have to shift to another spot in the bed.  To remedy this, a couple of weeks ago, I bought a chiliPAD, which is a mattress topper with very small tubes laced through it that circulate cooled water.  https://www.chilitechnology.com/

In theory, it's an awesome development.  On a couple of nights, it has really helped me sleep deeper with less interruption.  That's confirmed by my sleep patterns from my Garmin watch.--much more deep sleep and REM sleep, and much less movement while sleeping. 

The problem is, for most humans the little water tubes are imperceptible.  You don't even feel them.  But for my superhuman wife, they make it impossible to sleep on her stomach, which is the position in which she does not disturb my sleep.  So I have to choose between laying comfortably in the bed, but unable to sleep because of the sound from the other side of the bed, or going to the guest room, which does not have the chiliPAD which I bought for myself.  Either way I'm not sleeping.  

• 1 month later...
Whats it called when you don’t have any issue going to sleep, but are wide awake after 5 hrs sleep and can’t fall back asleep for over an hour and then wake up groggy as hell a couple hours later?  A run on sentence?

That’s my usual recipe. I woke up at 3:30 and just gave up and am watching tv. If I try to go back to sleep I’ll probably drift off about 30 mins before the alarm goes off at 5:50 and then I’ll wake up completely exhausted. Better to just stay up and then hope to get a nap later today.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been having a bad spell since broke my ribs a few months ago. Can only fall asleep for a few minutes at a time. It's been particularly bad the last few days, but I found a cure. I turned the heat down to 60 and rolled up in the covers. Best night's sleep I've had in months.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
38 minutes ago, RPM said:

Shit's flaring up again. I need to find a pill that will KO me for at least 6 hours. Any recs I can take to my VA PA? I just need to sleep when I have to sleep.

61612-B5-C-7-AFB-4-B77-8842-38152-A3764-

Edited by nnm

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Magnesium has been working pretty well for me. There are various types so make sure you get something for insomnia. It also gives you all sorts of weird dreams.

This is what I’ve been taking:

Life Extension Magnesium 500mg, 100 Vegetarian Capsules https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A7HDABW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_jFtoFb857N9WC

On 8/16/2020 at 7:42 AM, Buzzrock said:

Magnesium has been working pretty well for me. There are various types so make sure you get something for insomnia. It also gives you all sorts of weird dreams.

This is what I’ve been taking:

Life Extension Magnesium 500mg, 100 Vegetarian Capsules https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A7HDABW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_jFtoFb857N9WC

You need to take some zinc with the magnesium to make sure your body takes some of it in. You’ll piss most of it out anyway, but the zinc helps the uptake. 

• 2 years later...

Lifelong insomniac. Ambien has been a lifesaver for me. Tried everything under the sun, prescription or not, pill or lifestyle change, therapy, meditation, etc. But Ambien worked.

Cyclobenzaprine has been a nice add on lately as well (for a back thing).

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/19/2020 at 7:56 AM, nnm said:

You need to take some zinc with the magnesium to make sure your body takes some of it in. You’ll piss most of it out anyway, but the zinc helps the uptake. 

Or a form like magnesium glycinate that is more readily absorbed. Too much of the poorly absorbed stuff and you be shitting most of it out and if done right will feel like pissing from your asshole.  

• Like 1

Not really insomnia, but the wife bought a new alarm clock that glows purple, and lights up the entire room. I can't even bear the little red standby lights on every fucking thing that uses electricity, now I got a purple glow that grates on my last nerve.

I politely mentioned last night how annoying bright the light was, tonight will be more drastic measures taken.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

56 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Not really insomnia, but the wife bought a new alarm clock that glows purple, and lights up the entire room. I can't even bear the little red standby lights on every fucking thing that uses electricity, now I got a purple glow that grates on my last nerve.

I politely mentioned last night how annoying bright the light was, tonight will be more drastic measures taken.

10441-Shoot-The-Alarm-Clock.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

So you’re going to sleep on the couch?
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-peter-attia-drive/id1400828889?i=1000578391177

Podcast on sleep, highly recommended by my daughter (no pics) who is a functional medicine PA.

Understanding sleep and how to improve it

In this special episode of The Drive, we have pulled together a variety of clips from previous podcasts with sleep expert Dr. Matthew Walker to help listeners understand this topic more deeply, as well as to identify which previous episodes featuring Matt may be of interest. In this episode, Matt gives an overview of why we sleep, the stages of sleep, and sleep chronotypes, and he provides tips to those looking to improve their total sleep and sleep efficiency. Additionally, Matt discusses the pros and cons of napping, and gives his current thinking on the effects of blue light and caffeine on sleep. Finally, Matt explains the dangers of sleeping pills and reveals what he believes are the most useful alternatives for someone struggling with sleep, such as those with insomnia.

We discuss:

Evolutionary reasons to sleep [2:15]; Stages of sleep, sleep cycles, and brainwaves [10:00]; Understanding sleep chronotypes and how knowing yours could help you [25:45]; Defining sleep efficiency and how to improve it [36:15]; Correcting insomnia: a counterintuitive approach [38:45]; Pros and cons of napping, and insights from the sleep habits of hunter-gatherer tribes [41:30]; Sleep hygiene, wind-down routine, and tips for better sleep [50:15]; The optimal room temperature and body temperature for the best sleep [59:30]; Blue light: how Matt shifted his thinking [1:08:30]; Caffeine: how Matt has adjusted his hypothesis [1:14:45]; The dangers of sleeping pills, useful alternatives, and cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia [1:19:45]; More

Edited by nnm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, nnm said:

In Austin from ETX.  Here for a family funeral tomorrow, staying at a VRBO. Eyes pop open at 02:30. End of story. 

Some of us are still drinking. 

You'll be okay. 

(And I mean that. You'll be okay. We really are amazing creatures. Just find a time to catch up.)

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

I have been really struggling with sleep since my esophagectomy in early December. I am required to sleep on my back at a 45 degree minimum incline for the rest of my life. And this is for a 55 year side sleeper who has struggled with insomnia for the past 20 years. We bought a pretty high end iSense split adjustable bed which helps, but I can't stay asleep for more than an hour to an hour and a half at a time. Takes roughly 10 hours to get 6-7 bumpy hours of sleep. I am drag ass tired ALL of the time. This is going to be a long slog.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 1/21/2023 at 10:49 AM, Sbbruin said:

I have been really struggling with sleep since my esophagectomy in early December. I am required to sleep on my back at a 45 degree minimum incline for the rest of my life. And this is for a 55 year side sleeper who has struggled with insomnia for the past 20 years. We bought a pretty high end iSense split adjustable bed which helps, but I can't stay asleep for more than an hour to an hour and a half at a time. Takes roughly 10 hours to get 6-7 bumpy hours of sleep. I am drag ass tired ALL of the time. This is going to be a long slog.

Been struggling a lot lately.  I’ve had to take a steroid for the last couple of months that the doc warned would cause insomnia.  Well it has and I have really been a mess.  Not getting adequate sleep starts really messing with your brain.  I’ve gotten somewhat used to sleeping on my back but damn if I can’t stay asleep for more than maybe 30 mins at a time.  Insomnia rally sucks.

Can't belive I haven't seen this thread before. I literally don't remember the last time I slept through the night. I never have a good night's sleep. Decent is the best I get. I've learn to live with it, and it really doesn't bother me during the day. Maybe I just don't need that much sleep, but it would be nice to get a solid 6 hours or more. 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 3:06 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

Same issue here. I’m notorious for when in hotels covering up LED alarm clocks and tiny TV power lights with towels so even the smallest glow doesn’t bother me.

• Rage+1 2

4 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Same issue here. I’m notorious for when in hotels covering up LED alarm clocks and tiny TV power lights with towels so even the smallest glow doesn’t bother me.

A little roll of electrical tape in your travel bag will make all the difference. You can unplug the obnoxious alarm clocks, and those little LED lights are completely blacked out with just a little square of electrical tape. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got a call from my daughter in Oregon a couple of hours ago that her fiance is missing.  He went kayaking on his day off and hasn't returned.  She can't find him or his truck at the reservoir that he said he was heading to, and his phone just goes to voice mail.  He's not the kind to up and disappear, and he didn't take his stuff from the apartment, so he doesn't appear to have bugged out on her.  Now I can't go back to sleep worried about them both.

Update: he had a spill, soaked his phone, and ended up spending the night in his truck.  He is ok and home.  Now I can sleep.

Edited by Scheiss Meister
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I cant help but sleep twice in 4 hour shifts.  I sort of retired and just started to sleep when I felt like it - fuck the clock.  I settled into bed at 10-11 pm, get up 2-3am, fuck around for an hour or 2, back to sleep for another 4 hours.  Not really insomnia, not trying to fight it anymore. 

3 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I got a call from my daughter in Oregon a couple of hours ago that her fiance is missing.  He went kayaking on his day off and hasn't returned.  She can't find him or his truck at the reservoir that he said he was heading to, and his phone just goes to voice mail.  He's not the kind to up and disappear, and he didn't take his stuff from the apartment, so he doesn't appear to have bugged out on her.  Now I can't go back to sleep worried about them both.

Update: he had a spill, soaked his phone, and ended up spending the night in his truck.  He is ok and home.  Now I can sleep.

Rough night. Glad it had a good ending. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Can you politely mention that if he is going to be kayaking off on his own, he needs to put his phone in something that is waterproof? Not sure where he is going, but if he's in the bush, that thing is literally a lifeline.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Can you politely mention that if he is going to be kayaking off on his own, he needs to put his phone in something that is waterproof? Not sure where he is going, but if he's in the bush, that thing is literally a lifeline.

I plan to have a talk with him in a day or two, and that is one of the programmed subjects.  He is normally very good with his outdoor safety, so I was surprised that he had allowed that to happen.  Scared the shit out of us.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2024 at 10:28 PM, Sbbruin said:

I was prescribed restoril, which I will take tonight for the first time.  Supposed to be pretty powerful, so I need to be careful.  No booze for sure.  But I need it.  My sleep has been terrible.

Hope the meds are helping. I've had struggles with insomnia for about ten years. But in the past few, I've found a few bedtime podcasts that help immensely and can put me out within just 10-15 minutes. I play them all on such low volume that they become a background noise that just makes me relax.

"Sleepy Bookshelf" An English lady with a sweet voice reads chapters out of old novels like Pride and Prejudice for about an hour or so.

"Sleep Baseball" A guy calls fictional baseball games from some upper Midwest minor league for a couple of hours. It's kind of along the lines of listening to a golf game on the couch that puts you to sleep.

"Sleep with Me" A guy with the most boring voice you've ever heard tells long stories that are full of tangents about random shit (e.g., reading Wikipedia entries, describing British Bake Off episodes, and lots of other random crap) that he bores you to sleep. Always skip the first 8 minutes or so, which is when he makes annoying announcements. The next 10-15 minutes is the intro when he describes the show (I usually fall asleep during this part. It's virtually the same for each episode), and then the last 45 minutes is the meat of it, but I'm usually already asleep.

Again, the point with all these is to just turn them down low, relax, and doze off. Give them a shot.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 11:28 PM, Sbbruin said:

I was prescribed restoril, which I will take tonight for the first time.  Supposed to be pretty powerful, so I need to be careful.  No booze for sure.  But I need it.  My sleep has been terrible.

How well did it work? Any side effect's?

On 10/11/2023 at 3:51 AM, beer said:

I cant help but sleep twice in 4 hour shifts.  I sort of retired and just started to sleep when I felt like it - fuck the clock.  I settled into bed at 10-11 pm, get up 2-3am, fuck around for an hour or 2, back to sleep for another 4 hours.  Not really insomnia, not trying to fight it anymore. 

https://sleepopolis.com/education/biphasic-sleep

On 1/20/2024 at 10:02 AM, bolverk said:

Hope the meds are helping. I've had struggles with insomnia for about ten years. But in the past few, I've found a few bedtime podcasts that help immensely and can put me out within just 10-15 minutes. I play them all on such low volume that they become a background noise that just makes me relax.

"Sleepy Bookshelf" An English lady with a sweet voice reads chapters out of old novels like Pride and Prejudice for about an hour or so.

"Sleep Baseball" A guy calls fictional baseball games from some upper Midwest minor league for a couple of hours. It's kind of along the lines of listening to a golf game on the couch that puts you to sleep.

"Sleep with Me" A guy with the most boring voice you've ever heard tells long stories that are full of tangents about random shit (e.g., reading Wikipedia entries, describing British Bake Off episodes, and lots of other random crap) that he bores you to sleep. Always skip the first 8 minutes or so, which is when he makes annoying announcements. The next 10-15 minutes is the intro when he describes the show (I usually fall asleep during this part. It's virtually the same for each episode), and then the last 45 minutes is the meat of it, but I'm usually already asleep.

Again, the point with all these is to just turn them down low, relax, and doze off. Give them a shot.

Along these same lines, I use the sleep stories in my Calm app.