2019 Body Transformation Thread

Pretty happy with progress so far. Today marks 2 weeks in and I'm down 8.5 lbs to 196.5. Took my one drinking and eating mulligan for the month this past Saturday, at a friend's swanky birthday dinner, but otherwise have stayed off the sauce, haven't really had any cheat meals, and gone to gym almost every day. 

The big key for me, as always, will be maintaining healthy habits once January ends. Can't allow myself to go back into the habit of coming up with excuses to skip workouts, eat crap, and drink 4+ nights a week. 

• Like 2

On 1/14/2020 at 1:14 PM, DaysOff said:

You can't out exercise your fork and spoon.

Yep. To burn a pound of fat, you would be looking at 4-6 hours of non-stop burpees. Or you can cut out 500 calories per day for a week.  The first option is basically impossible even if you spread that over a week. the second only requires some will power and discipline.

It's not impossible to lose weight by mainly going to the gym but I think it's the most difficult option. And if you hit the weights, you actually may need to increase the calories but not too much or you gain fat. That's a tough balance.

On low carb since late-December.  Down ~10 lbs so far. 10 to go.

I've done it.  Get you a good backpack with good waist straps and carry most of the weight on your hips.  Saves your back, but you'll need to build up your hips.  (You don't have your spine taking the shock load out.)
I can't see how it'd be any harder on your body than running.

I’ve got a cheap one from Walmart or Academy I use for rifle hunting. I hate carrying the damn thing.

I’ve got an Eberlstock Gunfighter that is pretty comfortable, but I’m not wearing it for any distance.

Didn't think I'd lose this much in 23 days.  My new goal for January is 40 lbs.  And I want to lose another 25 in February.  Back around Thanksgiving, I promised a 10 year old that I would lose her weight by the next time I saw her.  She's roughly 65 lbs, so I'm on pace.  Will see her March 6. 

• Like 1

Down about 30 pounds since the summer, looking to drop about 20 or so more before this summer maybe a little more. I went with the option that I can hopefully keep long-term of just making simple diet changes that I can live with. Had a buddy go the keto route and drop a bunch, but he can’t figure out what to do going forward. It’s definitely not my thing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brew said:

Down about 30 pounds since the summer, looking to drop about 20 or so more before this summer maybe a little more. I went with the option that I can hopefully keep long-term of just making simple diet changes that I can live with. Had a buddy go the keto route and drop a bunch, but he can’t figure out what to do going forward. It’s definitely not my thing.

This is something I have trouble with regarding keto, because I don't know shit about nutrition and don't know how to maintain my weight if/when I get it down to where I want. 

My goal is only another 10 pounds, which will make it close to 50 overall in about a year.  I think I'll just try to cut portion sizes and mostly stay away from sugar and see what happens. 

I have always kind of done intermittent fasting because I don't get hungry until later in the day, but who knows if that's good or bad. So many damn opinions out there that it's impossible to know what's what. I just want to be where I feel good physically and am happy with the way I look. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

This is something I have trouble with regarding keto, because I don't know shit about nutrition and don't know how to maintain my weight if/when I get it down to where I want. 

My goal is only another 10 pounds, which will make it close to 50 overall in about a year.  I think I'll just try to cut portion sizes and mostly stay away from sugar and see what happens. 

I have always kind of done intermittent fasting because I don't get hungry until later in the day, but who knows if that's good or bad. So many damn opinions out there that it's impossible to know what's what. I just want to be where I feel good physically and am happy with the way I look. 

I went with cutting back on sugars and bread but not cutting them out, eliminating drinks other than water and unsweet tea, and changed breakfast to two eggs, turkey sausage, and an avocado. I think the breakfast has cut back my lunch eating by quite a bit and I also mix in more salads. It was something I figured I could keep up as a lifestyle change. I’m not shooting for some crazy low weight for my height/frame, just looking for a lighter version that is bound to be healthier.

I went skiing last week and while the other guys were eating piles of crap, it didn’t bother me at all to eat grilled chicken and broccoli, a grilled chicken sandwich, etc. There is no way I would stick with keto or fasting, but this has worked.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brew said:

I don't understand what your friend can't figure out. He can keep going with keto, which can be sustainable, but increase the calories so he doesn't lose weight. Or he can stop keto, and decide on other ways to maintain weight.  Some feel better sticking to a keto diet. But it doesn't mean you can't fall of the wagon at times and get back on.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't understand what your friend can't figure out. He can keep going with keto, which can be sustainable, but increase the calories so he doesn't lose weight. Or he can stop keto, and decide on other ways to maintain weight.  Some feel better sticking to a keto diet. But it doesn't mean you can't fall of the wagon at times and get back on.

That is basically what he hasn’t figured out yet. He’s increased his calorie count but still hasn’t leveled out. His wife got lower than she wanted and got off of it, he’s trying to decide whether to do the same or keep pushing his calorie count.

I would rather eat reasonably with a long-term plan and not put near as much thought into it and what I do every day when I’m out somewhere.

I was reading it that you either weren’t going with keto or that you thought it was a bad diet mainly due to the uncertainty of your friend even though he had good results.

besides losing weight and a much lower BP, keto has really pointed out to me about the amount of sugar in so many grocery items. Not too mention that I’ve saved a great deal of money switching to making more of my meals. Definitely more work and grocery trips but happy with the change.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 8:47 AM, BBQ2Bayou said:

you need to experiment some on what you add back in.  I lost about 10lbs past my goal on keto and then added stuff back in my diet like beans, small portions of rice and even stuff like fried chicken.  I don't really count carbs or try to stay below 20g, but still don't eat any chips, bread or pasta and keep (best I can) sweets out of the picture.  I gained back about 8 of those lbs and stay fairly steady now at around 211 lbs. 

If I had to guess, I would say I end up between 30 and 50g of carbs per day.

On 1/27/2020 at 2:28 PM, Longhorn Al said:

Gained 2 lbs on my Saturday Kreuz refeed. Lost 1.4 of that today.  I'm down 35.0 this month.  Just 5.0 away from my goal of 40 in January.  I have till Friday.

It ain't happening. I've gained 1.4 the last 3 days.  .2, .4 and .8 today.  I haven't eaten anything.  I'm retaining fluid like crazy, I guess.  My legs aren't swollen and I don't feel bloated, but that water just isn't shedding.

I'm eating tomorrow.  The gains may keep coming before I get that big drop again.  Or maybe eating will trigger that whoosh like it does for some people.

1/2: 204.7

1/31: 192.8

11.9 lbs and at least an inch off the waistline and 2 belt holes down.

I'm actually a lot more content than when I lost a little more weight last January, because that was all just calorie restriction but no muscle gain. In the past 29 days, I've been to the gym 23 times. 5 of the 6 days I didn't go were on the weekend and I either went on a lengthy bike ride or took my dogs for an hour+ walk. Only 1 day where I completely rested. 

Now, with all that said, I fully intend to drink a six-pack with dinner this evening and gorge myself on beer and fajitas at a Super Bowl party on Sunday. 

• Like 1

Down 50 since the middle of August.  Similar to a lot of you:  no booze at all for the fist 6 weeks or so, then reintroduced in moderation.  Now, only on weekends.  Modified keto:  some whole grains, lots of fruits and veggies, lean meats (chicken, turkey, fish), red meat only on special occasions, almost no processed sugar, rice, potatoes, pasta, etc.   But, no crazy hard and fast rules.  This moderated diet with an increase in exercise worked for me.  Now, we are doing normal nights out and parties one night a week.  This week it's super bowl and I will be unrestrained!

New in 2020:  yoga.    Got to 10th class today and I am starting to get into it.  I can tell the difference in how I feel already.  It's not "hot" yoga, but they keep the room at 80 degrees or so.  I am dripping in sweat by the end. It's a good addition to what else I am doing. I suck at it.  As a 50+ year old, I have terrible flexibility and I am sure I look silly in the class, but WTF?  

• Like 2

What's the deal with red meat?  Why do people cut it out of diets?  LDL issues?  I eat either chicken, turkey, or beef every day.  Costco has ground bison that I REALLY like.  My LDL at my last blood test was 106 which is a bit high but that was when I was right in the midst of my keto craze.  Now that I've reintroduced carbs and cut the fat intake, I'm sure it's a bit lower.

I'm at 187.6 now and am content to be 185-190.  Stepping on the scale once a week has really become the new norm. 

5 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

What's the deal with red meat?  Why do people cut it out of diets?  LDL issues?  I eat either chicken, turkey, or beef every day.  Costco has ground bison that I REALLY like.  My LDL at my last blood test was 106 which is a bit high but that was when I was right in the midst of my keto craze.  Now that I've reintroduced carbs and cut the fat intake, I'm sure it's a bit lower.

I'm at 187.6 now and am content to be 185-190.  Stepping on the scale once a week has really become the new norm. 

Don't fall for the LDL myth.  It's not bad.  Cholesterol technically can clog arteries, but only because inflammation has caused damage.  Sugar and carbs are a couple of the contributors to inflammation.  Blaming cholesterol for clogged arteries is like blaming firemen for a house on fire. 

Check out Feldman's Cholesterol Code: https://cholesterolcode.com/

He also has a good twitter: https://twitter.com/DaveKeto

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 4:11 PM, Longhorn Al said:

It ain't happening. I've gained 1.4 the last 3 days.  .2, .4 and .8 today.  I haven't eaten anything.  I'm retaining fluid like crazy, I guess.  My legs aren't swollen and I don't feel bloated, but that water just isn't shedding.

I'm eating tomorrow.  The gains may keep coming before I get that big drop again.  Or maybe eating will trigger that whoosh like it does for some people.

So, last Friday I lost the 1.6 I had gained over the previous 3 days.  Then I ate 2 meals on Friday and gained 4.0 by Saturday when I woke up.  I've been fasting for 100 hours and have only lost 3 of those 4 lbs I gained from the food.  I'm drinking more water.  Trying to get 2L a day.  I'm peeing more.  But the scale is still slow to react.

I'm shrinking, though.  I've lost 3 or 4 inches on my waist since Jan 1 according to my belt.  I just really want to see the scale feedback.

I'm calling my plan for this month, Feasting Fridays in February.  I will only eat on Fridays this month.  I will also cut carbs during those meals unlike last Friday.

This week's meal will be zoodles with alfredo sauce and extra cheese with chicken (I'll shred an HEB rotisserie chicken).  I'll add some HEB bacon-wrapped jalapenos that will be topped with some cheddar.

• Like 1

Wait.  You are only eating one day a week?  So you take in no calories the rest of the week?  That can't be healthy.  Unless you did a Man vs. Food-like challenge you will not gain 4 lbs. from two meals.  You are retaining water, perhaps caused by a meal high in sodium or for some other reason.

8 hours ago, HouTex said:

Wait.  You are only eating one day a week?  So you take in no calories the rest of the week?  That can't be healthy.  Unless you did a Man vs. Food-like challenge you will not gain 4 lbs. from two meals.  You are retaining water, perhaps caused by a meal high in sodium or for some other reason.

Do your own research. Look up Dr. Fung re: fasting. I'm fine. Fasting is not bad for you. Eating and snacking all the time is.

Eating one day a week is dumb as hell and sounds like a miserable existence. I wonder how many centenarians ate once a week.

I lost 10 lbs in January sitting on my couch & eating junk food. I had a bad cold, right after I hurt my back, so I hardly worked out the whole month. Was eating bad, but the not exercising made me not get hungry so I was only eating once a day. I’m down to 151 (I’m 5’11). I feel sickly and weak as hell. Trying to eat more healthy food, workout more and gain at least 15 lbs. I’ve always struggled to keep on weight though. Which sounds nice until you workout a bunch and see minimal gains. 

In 2018, one of our shaggy/surly members ate once every 7-10 days for a few months.  I'm sure he'll chime in eventually.

There's plenty of science backing up fasting.  You can do the legwork.  I've already done mine, and continue to do so.  Is it extreme?  To some people.  Especially some skinny dude like Helobious.  I'm not skinny.  I'm extremely fat.  I can fast without any problems whatsoever.  I haven't eaten since Friday and I'm not even hungry.  I'll break my fast with BBQ and it won't even phase me.  I don't get refeeding syndrome.  I might have to run to the bathroom a couple hours after the meal, but even that is rarer and rarer.

On 1/31/2020 at 11:17 AM, DFWTexEx said:

Down 50 since the middle of August.  Similar to a lot of you:  no booze at all for the fist 6 weeks or so, then reintroduced in moderation.  Now, only on weekends.  Modified keto:  some whole grains, lots of fruits and veggies, lean meats (chicken, turkey, fish), red meat only on special occasions, almost no processed sugar, rice, potatoes, pasta, etc.   But, no crazy hard and fast rules.  This moderated diet with an increase in exercise worked for me.  Now, we are doing normal nights out and parties one night a week.  This week it's super bowl and I will be unrestrained!

New in 2020:  yoga.    Got to 10th class today and I am starting to get into it.  I can tell the difference in how I feel already.  It's not "hot" yoga, but they keep the room at 80 degrees or so.  I am dripping in sweat by the end. It's a good addition to what else I am doing. I suck at it.  As a 50+ year old, I have terrible flexibility and I am sure I look silly in the class, but WTF?  

Yoga classes don't work with my schedule but I have been using Yoga with Tim on Youtube.  

I try to stretch everyday and I really enjoy it

2 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

In 2018, one of our shaggy/surly members ate once every 7-10 days for a few months.  I'm sure he'll chime in eventually.

There's plenty of science backing up fasting.  You can do the legwork.  I've already done mine, and continue to do so.  Is it extreme?  To some people.  Especially some skinny dude like Helobious.  I'm not skinny.  I'm extremely fat.  I can fast without any problems whatsoever.  I haven't eaten since Friday and I'm not even hungry.  I'll break my fast with BBQ and it won't even phase me.  I don't get refeeding syndrome.  I might have to run to the bathroom a couple hours after the meal, but even that is rarer and rarer.

Fasting does have a lot of health benefits, I’ve just really never heard of someone stretching it out to multiple days. A couple weeks of that for me and I know I’d start looking like a Dachau survivor. Would definitely vomit if I tried to eat a big meal after that too. Goes to show how wildly different the same diet plan can work for different people. 

14 hours ago, Helobious said:

Fasting does have a lot of health benefits, I’ve just really never heard of someone stretching it out to multiple days. A couple weeks of that for me and I know I’d start looking like a Dachau survivor. Would definitely vomit if I tried to eat a big meal after that too. Goes to show how wildly different the same diet plan can work for different people. 

It's definitely NOT recommended for lean people like yourself.  Y'all just don't have the fat reserves, and it can be dangerous.  If your body doesn't have fat, then it will start cannibalizing your lean tissue, and that can be bad news.  Not just muscle, but the heart can be affected.

But the body will burn fat first if it's there.

There are a lot of people that go 1, 2, 3 weeks.  Some even 40+ days.  They've all got lots of weight to lose.  The record fast with no food was over 365 days.  He was a really big guy in the UK, and was in the hospital with an electrolyte IV.  He didn't die.  He lost a ton of weight and got healthier.

Personally, a week is pushing it.  I typically start to get persistent indigestion around Day 6.  I haven't experienced that yet on this particular fast, but my Day 6 has just started.  But hunger is not a reason why I break at 7 days.  It actually gets easier the longer I go w/r/t hunger.  I'm less hungry at 6 days than I am at 2 days.

Edited by Longhorn Al
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 9:31 AM, BBQ2Bayou said:

I've decided that I'm just not built to get below about 190 with some pudge no matter how hard I try, and just being careful will keep me around 195. I think I'm destined to just be slightly diet lazy and slighty fat. 

Posted that Oct. 11. Clocked in at 177 today. Feels good to see results. Been a lot of work, though. 

• Like 4

@Longhorn Al I've spoken with a few dieticians over the past few years.  While fasting is not inherently bad for people with significant amounts of weight to lose, you need to look at sustainability of your dieting or you will end up in a "yo-yo" for the foreseeable future.  I've even been told by these dieticians that the more one is in the 'yo-yo', the harder it becomes for them to lose weight as it screws up their metabolism.

I've found that the best method for losing weight (and the important part - keeping it off) is gradual changes in your overall food intake and exercise routine.  You won't be able to eat one meal a week for the rest of your life.  Why not trying a 16:8 hour intermittent fasting routine?  Or an OMAD routine?  Pick quality foods that are healthy for you to eat during your window.

I'm just curious as to what the rush is to lose all this weight where you have to go to the extreme "one meal a week" diet?  It's a marathon, not a sprint bud.