2019 Body Transformation Thread

What's the surly take on jumping rope, especially with weighted rope, as an exercise? Youtube recommended me some videos where people were talking about it as a great exercise, as in burning more calories per hour than basically any exercise. I don't know if I could jump rope for an hour but it seems like a good cardio option when working out at home.

What I didn't know is that high end jump ropes can run you $100+. 

10 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

@Longhorn Al I've spoken with a few dieticians over the past few years.  While fasting is not inherently bad for people with significant amounts of weight to lose, you need to look at sustainability of your dieting or you will end up in a "yo-yo" for the foreseeable future.  I've even been told by these dieticians that the more one is in the 'yo-yo', the harder it becomes for them to lose weight as it screws up their metabolism.

I've found that the best method for losing weight (and the important part - keeping it off) is gradual changes in your overall food intake and exercise routine.  You won't be able to eat one meal a week for the rest of your life.  Why not trying a 16:8 hour intermittent fasting routine?  Or an OMAD routine?  Pick quality foods that are healthy for you to eat during your window.

I'm just curious as to what the rush is to lose all this weight where you have to go to the extreme "one meal a week" diet?  It's a marathon, not a sprint bud.

There's nothing wrong with losing as fast as you can.  There's plenty of time to transition back to IF or 48s.

Also, I'm not yo-yoing currently.  I have in the past when trying to cut calories.  That's what slows metabolism.  Fasting doesn't.

Edited by Longhorn Al

To expound on that...

What I mean is when you cut calories, your body adjusts.  Let's say your maintenance level is 2400 calories a day.  You cut back to 1700.  You lose weight.  Eventually, weight loss slows.  Your body is adjusting.  It realizes it's only going to get 1700 calories, so it slows things down so it can maintain at that level.  It becomes your new set point if you stick with it long enough.  You then get discouraged at not losing.  You either give up or cut more.  If you give up and go back to eating 2400 a day with your metabolism now at 1700, you'll gain over a pound a week.  That's when the evil yo-yo really gets ugly.  I've done this many times.  That's how people gain back what they lost plus some.  It's how I just kept getting bigger.

Fasting is supposed to preserve your metabolism.  It can ramp up even higher at times, and drop down a little bit as well.  But not as drastically as calorie restriction.

But you're right that it will take monumental discipline by me as time goes on.  Will I cave and start binge eating?  Will I get to my goal and just start eating like I did to get me to 400 lbs?  That's something I'll have to work on, but I have months before I'm anywhere close to my goal and that's with being very aggressive.  I will have to incorporate the things you mention.  Finding the right foods, and going to IF/OMAD, etc.

As for being a sprint vs. marathon, I don't buy into the thinking that we should lose 1 lb a week and lose slowly.  I started at 400 lbs.  The less time I can spend morbidly obese, the better.  I need to cure my insulin resistance before I get Type II diabetes.  I want to lose it as fast as I can so I can get on with the rest of my life.  If I had a wife and family, I may be more likely to take it slow.  I don't have those luxuries.  I want to lose this while I'm still under 40.

BTW, made it back to the gym last night.  Back is feeling much better.  Got some treadmill in and some full body lifts.  15 minutes in the sauna.  Lost 1.8.  Feeling good.

• Like 1

What's the surly take on jumping rope, especially with weighted rope, as an exercise? Youtube recommended me some videos where people were talking about it as a great exercise, as in burning more calories per hour than basically any exercise. I don't know if I could jump rope for an hour but it seems like a good cardio option when working out at home.
What I didn't know is that high end jump ropes can run you $100+. 

I do a lot of times when warming up but not a weighted rope.
Just make sure you cut it right.

Got some blood results back today.  Just saw them.

I've struggled with Low T since I was 17 (probably because I've always been fat).  But I've been on Clomid for a year.  For the last 6 months I've been taking 25mg every other day.  My levels are still doing okay at 737.  Much better than 200 like it used to be.

But it's kicking my Estradiol way above normal.  Appointment in early March.  I'll probably start an E blocker at that time.

Some liver enzymes are off, but that's definitely due to the extended fasting.  Everything else looked great. 

LH was slightly high. 

Free T & SHGB normal range. 

Glucose 80. 

A1C 5.1

11 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

To expound on that...

What I mean is when you cut calories, your body adjusts.  Let's say your maintenance level is 2400 calories a day.  You cut back to 1700.  You lose weight.  Eventually, weight loss slows.  Your body is adjusting.  It realizes it's only going to get 1700 calories, so it slows things down so it can maintain at that level.  It becomes your new set point if you stick with it long enough.  You then get discouraged at not losing.  You either give up or cut more.  If you give up and go back to eating 2400 a day with your metabolism now at 1700, you'll gain over a pound a week.  That's when the evil yo-yo really gets ugly.  I've done this many times.  That's how people gain back what they lost plus some.  It's how I just kept getting bigger.

Fasting is supposed to preserve your metabolism.  It can ramp up even higher at times, and drop down a little bit as well.  But not as drastically as calorie restriction.

But you're right that it will take monumental discipline by me as time goes on.  Will I cave and start binge eating?  Will I get to my goal and just start eating like I did to get me to 400 lbs?  That's something I'll have to work on, but I have months before I'm anywhere close to my goal and that's with being very aggressive.  I will have to incorporate the things you mention.  Finding the right foods, and going to IF/OMAD, etc.

As for being a sprint vs. marathon, I don't buy into the thinking that we should lose 1 lb a week and lose slowly.  I started at 400 lbs.  The less time I can spend morbidly obese, the better.  I need to cure my insulin resistance before I get Type II diabetes.  I want to lose it as fast as I can so I can get on with the rest of my life.  If I had a wife and family, I may be more likely to take it slow.  I don't have those luxuries.  I want to lose this while I'm still under 40.

BTW, made it back to the gym last night.  Back is feeling much better.  Got some treadmill in and some full body lifts.  15 minutes in the sauna.  Lost 1.8.  Feeling good.

Definitely wasn't trying to judge - just more curious than anything.  If your doc had told you you are pre-diabetic, I get the reason behind wanting to shed as much weight as quickly as possible.  Extended fasting works for some and not for others.  Personally, there's no way I could go a week without eating.  I love food.  I didn't get to 300+ pounds by hating it.  OMAD works for me to maintain my weight now at 185 - 190.

Going from 2400 calories a day to 1700 is quite a bit percentage wise (almost a 30% reduction in calories).  To maintain weight of 400 pounds, one is going to need to eat 4400 calories a day.  To lose a pound a week, you'd need to cut 500 calories a day so eating 3900/day would satisfy that (11% reduction in calories).  By eating 2400 calories a day (what a 200 pound person eats to maintain their weight), one would be losing 3 pounds per week if that person is 400 pounds.

• Like 1

Hit my first little road bump, right on schedule. Went out pretty hard and ate crap at a work party last Thursday so skipped gym Friday morning with a righetous hangover. That sort of set off a pretty worthless weekend. Came down with a nasty cold Sunday and could barely manage sitting at my desk, much less exercising Monday or Tuesday. Finally felt recovered enough to go and hop on the treadmill for a half hour this morning. Still feel like I'd struggle to handle 50% of my usual weight routine though. Last 5-6 days have pretty much been a loss.

6 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Definitely wasn't trying to judge - just more curious than anything.  If your doc had told you you are pre-diabetic, I get the reason behind wanting to shed as much weight as quickly as possible.  Extended fasting works for some and not for others.  Personally, there's no way I could go a week without eating.  I love food.  I didn't get to 300+ pounds by hating it.  OMAD works for me to maintain my weight now at 185 - 190.

Going from 2400 calories a day to 1700 is quite a bit percentage wise (almost a 30% reduction in calories).  To maintain weight of 400 pounds, one is going to need to eat 4400 calories a day.  To lose a pound a week, you'd need to cut 500 calories a day so eating 3900/day would satisfy that (11% reduction in calories).  By eating 2400 calories a day (what a 200 pound person eats to maintain their weight), one would be losing 3 pounds per week if that person is 400 pounds.

You know, oddly enough the reason I do extended fasting is the same reason you don't do it.  I LOVE food.  I'm a foodie.  If I eat every day and just try to cut calories, I'll overeat.  It's much easier for me to just not eat. 

And trust me.  I'm not becoming anorexic.  I love food way too much, and I can't wait to eat "normally."  At least what my new normal will need to be.

Got back in the gym early Tuesday morning.  Have gone 3 days in a row.  Easy workouts to get back into it after getting over the pulled back muscle.  Quick full body workout.  Just 1 set of 12 on each exercise at a weight that will get me right up to the point just before grinding.  Then 30 minutes on the treadmill.  2.5 mph @ 2.5 incline.  Then 15 minutes in the dry sauna.

I've lost 7.0 lbs this week.  All that fluid I've been hanging onto the last 2 weeks is now gone.  I've lost 41.8 lbs in 2020.

• Like 3

Had a huge drop last week. From the Saturday after my refeed (2/8) till today, I've lost 15.6 lbs.  That includes a 1.6 lb gain after my 2/15 refeed of BBQ.

2020 Total Lost: 49.6

Feeling great.  No nausea or anything like that.  Muscles feel fine.  No unusual pains.  Good energy.  Just a touch of indigestion whenever I am smelling food or watching cooking shows on Youtube.

Back to the gym tonight!

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 6:09 PM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Coffee is causing you to retain weight?
Marky Mark confused face.

Big time. I can't drink coffee black so I usually get lattes. That's 20g of carbs! Equivalent to a little more than a half can of soda. I lost a shit load of weight when I replaced all soda with water but I had no idea how much sugar is in those mixed coffees.

Big time. I can't drink coffee black so I usually get lattes. That's 20g of carbs! Equivalent to a little more than a half can of soda. I lost a shit load of weight when I replaced all soda with water but I had no idea how much sugar is in those mixed coffees.

Go black. Once you go black, you never go back.

18 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

get a cappuccino made with half and half if you are at a coffee shop.  only 1-2 carbs in that from the half and half.  Heavy whipping cream is better, but that does not froth well and gets too buttery tasting imo, but that would have no carbs.

also, if you want some flavored crap in there, check out the Choc Zero syrups:  https://www.choczero.com/collections/honest-syrup-sugarfree/products/three-pack-maple-chocolate-caramel

1 net carb per serving.  I like the caramel one.  I have one of those nespresso machines and lightly pour some in the milk frother while it's spinning.  add some fake sugar and it makes a decent facsimile of a caramel cappuccino.

Really dehydrated today.  Started yesterday.  I drank 3L of water yesterday.  1.5L was Snake Juice (electrolytes).  Woke up today with my mouth so dry my tongue was stuck to the roof of my mouth.  Going to drink another 3L today but 2.5L will be Snake Juice and I'll take pinches of pink salt throughout the night.

I feel pretty good otherwise.  No serious cramps although I had one almost grab my calves yesterday morning.  No headaches, but I was close to one a few minutes ago.  It faded within seconds.

I've lost 50.4 lbs in 50 days.

Edited by Longhorn Al
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Bought new jeans yesterday. I’m solidly in a size 34, which I know changes from brand to brand, but damn it’s nice to be back down to a reasonable size.

9 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Just wanted to say: I hit my target weight. Actually hit it a couple weeks ago. Finally below 170 since... before the millennium? Not sure. Been a while.

All my pants are baggy.

These 2 are my goal. Good work, fellas. I'm sitting at about 178 and a 35. Just ordered some 34 pants and probably have another inch to go to fit. 

My goal keeps getting lower the more I lose. It was "Just get in the 180's and I'll be happy". To "Man, the 170's would be nice".  To "Man, the low 170's would be nice". To "I gotta to get somewhere in the 160's and stay there."  

I broke off of keto and am just counting calories for a couple weeks to see what happens. I haven't been eating healthy, just fewer calories than I burn. I have no idea how this will work. Probably not great. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

Really dehydrated today.  Started yesterday.  I drank 3L of water yesterday.  1.5L was Snake Juice (electrolytes).  Woke up today with my mouth so dry my tongue was stuck to the roof of my mouth.  Going to drink another 3L today but 2.5L will be Snake Juice and I'll take pinches of pink salt throughout the night.

I feel pretty good otherwise.  No serious cramps although I had one almost grab my calves yesterday morning.  No headaches, but I was close to one a few minutes ago.  It faded within seconds.

I've lost 50.4 lbs in 50 days.

I get why you do it and it certainly does work for you, but have you ever thought about having a few handfuls of leafy greens per day? Something like Kale that is super high in vitamins per calorie? It wouldn't have much of an impact on your weight loss with an entire cup being just 36 calories and would get you the vitamins your body needs to function optimally.

It would give you...

Kale
1.00 cup
(130.00 grams)Calories: 36

GI: very low

NutrientDRI/DV

vitamin K1180%

vitamin A98%

vitamin C71%

manganese23%

copper22%

vitamin B611%

calcium9%

fiber9%

iron7%

vitamin E7%

vitamin B27%

magnesium6%

vitamin B16%

potassium6%

phosphorus5%

protein5%

omega-3 fats5%

folate4%

vitamin B34%

1 hour ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

My goal keeps getting lower the more I lose. It was "Just get in the 180's and I'll be happy". To "Man, the 170's would be nice".  To "Man, the low 170's would be nice". To "I gotta to get somewhere in the 160's and stay there."  

This happened to me! My original goal was the low 170s. Once I was solidly there, I adjusted to 168. Once I hit that, I was researching what my actual ideal weight for my age might be (short answer: numbers all over the place, nobody knows, except that I'm definitely no longer overweight and possibly on the high end of whatever "ideal" is), when I finally find a sufficiently authoritative source who told me to stop:

My wife.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

I broke off of keto and am just counting calories for a couple weeks to see what happens. I haven't been eating healthy, just fewer calories than I burn. I have no idea how this will work. Probably not great. 

ALSO: This is how I did it! I used myfitnesspal to calculate my target based on losing 0.5 pounds per week. It really changed my thinking about food doing so, because when you see that, for example, three slices of bacon have less calories than a single tortilla... or just how many calories are in beer...

Also: Don't go too far under or over your target. Try to hit it exactly, no cheating, every day. That keeps you losing weight at a steady, slow pace, without ever getting too hungry.

Now that I've hit my target, I haven't stopped; I'm just eating slightly more calories (about 200 more, basically one decent 12 oz beer's worth) per day. Still hitting a calorie goal, still tracking.

Calorie counting is kind of a long term thing. But once it becomes a habit to enter your calories after each meal, its easy. I also have a friend that's also tracking; we have to report in to each other every day how we're doing.

I'm using myfitnesspal also. I put in to lose 2 pounds per week, just to see how aggressive that would be. It said to end up with 1750 calories per day. I thought the general rule of thumb was 500 calorie deficit a day, for a week, would result in 1 pound (3500 calorie deficit for the week). So doubling that to lose 2 pounds a week would be 1000 calorie deficit per day (7000 per week), correct? 

So that tells me that 1750 calories to lose 2 pounds a week would mean it has me naturally burning 2750 per day, without any exercise, right? I exercise a lot, but that's not what I'm wondering. I let the app subtract that amount. Or am I off somewhere? I know we all burn calories differently, but how did the app come up with that number? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

I'm using myfitnesspal also. I put in to lose 2 pounds per week, just to see how aggressive that would be. It said to end up with 1750 calories per day. I thought the general rule of thumb was 500 calorie deficit a day, for a week, would result in 1 pound (3500 calorie deficit for the week). So doubling that to lose 2 pounds a week would be 1000 calorie deficit per day (7000 per week), correct? 

So that tells me that 1750 calories to lose 2 pounds a week would mean it has me naturally burning 2750 per day, without any exercise, right? I exercise a lot, but that's not what I'm wondering. I let the app subtract that amount. Or am I off somewhere? I know we all burn calories differently, but how did the app come up with that number? 

You give the app a general activity level and it makes some broad assumptions based on what you said and your weight/height. It is very rough estimate of how many calories you burn. The app will also apply a deduction for specific activity that you add beyond your "typical" activity. 

12 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

So, there's a setting for how active you are. That alters the numbers. I wasn't losing weight after I got my new job, then I realized I was spending much more time sitting on my bum. Also, current weight (heavier people need more calories to maintain that weight), age, gender also factor in. MyFitnessPal is smart enough to take those into account. After you've tracked for a few weeks, you can tweak it a bit, too, but I think you'll find its guess is pretty accurate. You can adjust it from there.

I'm actually kinda glad I hadn't heard things like that when I started; I just trusted that the folks behind the app knew what they were doing. They do, by and large.

I'm 6'1" and had been hanging around 230 for the past year after getting down to a low of 210 2 years ago.  Decided to get my ass going again. Got going in January doing solely cardio and kettle bells. Lost some weight already and decided to set a goal of 4 lbs a month until I'm under 200 lbs.  Since I've always plateaued around 210 and weight by itself doesn't mean much, this morning I did the DEXA body scan to determine accurate muscle mass and fat percentages.  Holy. Fucking. Shit.  

My total mass was 223 lbs.  with 61% muscle and 35% fucking fat.  I thought for sure I'd be down around 20% fat.

It definitely has given me incentive to be hard core with my healthy eating and exercising.  It also puts my 200 lbs goal in perspective. I should probably be targeting 185 while maintaining or increasing my muscle mass weight.

If you're interested, you can get the DEXA scan at ARC Far West for $75.  Takes 5 minutes.

Edited by CooterBrown

Hadn't heard of the DEXA scan before.  Thanks for the tip.

Has anyone tried the at-home body fat scales? From my understanding, they claim to send an undetectable electric signal up one leg and down the other, which tells them info about body fat, lean mass, etc. Links to an app with bluetooth.  I don't expect it to be perfect but it would be nice to see directional results even if they're off a bit.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Hadn't heard of the DEXA scan before.  Thanks for the tip.

Has anyone tried the at-home body fat scales? From my understanding, they claim to send an undetectable electric signal up one leg and down the other, which tells them info about body fat, lean mass, etc. Links to an app with bluetooth.  I don't expect it to be perfect but it would be nice to see directional results even if they're off a bit.

They aren't terrible, mine has been within 4-5% of a Dexa scan. Good for tracking trends. 

https://apnews.com/a2154b643d53afae2a3654f722a9b60a

About 40% of US adults are obese, government survey finds

By MIKE STOBBEtoday

FILE - In this Jan. 20, 2010 file photo, a subject's waist is measured during an obesity prevention study in Chicago. According to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study released on Thursday, Feb. 27, 2020, the U.S. obesity rate continues to rise, with an especially large jump in the ranks of people who are severely obese. (AP Photo/M. Spencer Green, File)

NEW YORK (AP) — About 4 in 10 American adults are obese, and nearly 1 in 10 is severely so, government researchers said Thursday.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention findings come from a 2017-18 health survey that measures height and weight. More than 5,000 U.S. adults took part.

The survey found that the obesity rate was 42% — higher than the 40% found in a similar 2015-16 study. The severe obesity rate was more than 9% in the new survey, up from the 8% figure in the previous one.

On 2/21/2020 at 6:04 PM, Lobwedgephil said:

They aren't terrible, mine has been within 4-5% of a Dexa scan. Good for tracking trends. 

This. Some are better than others. They aren't really accurate per se (will not tell you your actual body fat %), but they are decent for tracking trends (i.e., whether you are decreasing or increasing overall body fat %). 

Edited by Dahobbs

So a day or so after my last post I got to 52.0 lbs lost on the year.  Then I ate a lot last Friday and Sunday.  Gained...get this...12.4 lbs.  I packed on the water.  I must have been really dehydrated and needing fluids.  The carbs and salt I had helped store all the fluids I drank. 

Been fasting since Sunday night.  Have lost 6 of those pounds, and I feel like I'll lose a couple more by morning.  I'm breaking my fast with BBQ Friday and on Saturday I have a family function to celebrate the life of a cousin that just passed.  I'll eat there as well (burgers/dogs).  Sunday I'll get back on the fast train.

So I went from keto to full carbs the last 2 weeks. Jimmy Johns french rolls and sourdough bread for sandwiches, potato chips, pretzels all that shit. Stayed away from other sugar mostly. I wanted to see what a calorie deficit would do, and after 2 full weeks I'm right about the same weight. I started doing 1000 deficit a day, then read maybe I wasn't getting enough, so tried 500 a day and just kind of back and forth, but almost everyday in a deficit. Fluctuated the normal 3 or 4 pounds, but I'm basically where I was when I went off keto. 

What gives here? The internet tells me all kinds of shit that cancels out the other shit. Imagine that. 

I have been pretty accurate using my fitness pal, so I'm almost sure I'm not miscalculating. Even if I were a little, the deficit would still be there. Should I continue doing the same and just give it a little more time since I went from one extreme to another? Just cut down instead of cut out carbs? Eat only the good carbs? Bigger deficit? I've been exercising my ass off, so I feel good, I'm just stuck at the same weight. I only have 10 more pounds to go so maybe I should just go back to keto to lose them and then maintain?  

17 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

So I went from keto to full carbs the last 2 weeks. Jimmy Johns french rolls and sourdough bread for sandwiches, potato chips, pretzels all that shit. Stayed away from other sugar mostly. I wanted to see what a calorie deficit would do, and after 2 full weeks I'm right about the same weight. I started doing 1000 deficit a day, then read maybe I wasn't getting enough, so tried 500 a day and just kind of back and forth, but almost everyday in a deficit. Fluctuated the normal 3 or 4 pounds, but I'm basically where I was when I went off keto. 

What gives here? The internet tells me all kinds of shit that cancels out the other shit. Imagine that. 

I have been pretty accurate using my fitness pal, so I'm almost sure I'm not miscalculating. Even if I were a little, the deficit would still be there. Should I continue doing the same and just give it a little more time since I went from one extreme to another? Just cut down instead of cut out carbs? Eat only the good carbs? Bigger deficit? I've been exercising my ass off, so I feel good, I'm just stuck at the same weight. I only have 10 more pounds to go so maybe I should just go back to keto to lose them and then maintain?  

You probably don't want to hear it, but the most likely explanation is that you are under counting calories or over estimating your amount of physical activity. Another factor could be the replacement of fat with muscle. And, (not knowing much about keto), I assume that the sudden switch in diet could have you retaining a lot more water. Also, honestly, 2 weeks isn't a long enough time to gauge where your at. At a 500 a day deficit, you'd only being talking about 2 pounds of fat, which isn't necessarily easy to measure given our normal weight fluctuation. 

• 3 weeks later...

The gym closures are going to make me go crazy.  I started running again to keep myself in shape until they re-open everything in May or so.  Although I incorporate cardio into my weight training, I haven't run in about two years, and was able to manage the 5-mile Town Lake loop.  Will try to run about 3x a week.  If anything it gets me out of the house.

I went to Academy to get a few sets of barbells so I could do some lifting at home, and it seems like everyone else had the same idea because there wasn't a barbell to be found.  And adjustable barbell sets available through Amazon Prime won't be available until late April. 

How are you fitness nerds adjusting?

It’s brutal.  I had a good regimen going.  But I can’t run because I have a bone spur and ligament damage in my right ankle, and can’t take the impact.  Need surgery, but that’ll have to wait.   I think I am going to climb the stairs at my office building.  We normally have 1,080 people roughly in the building.   Yesterday we had 72.  And it’s falling.  So 15 floors should do it.  Maybe try up and down 2x.