2019 Body Transformation Thread

Any good workout ideas for inside the garage? Now that gyms will be closing across the state I'm fucked. I can do my cardio around the neighborhood but I don't have weights at home nor do I want to spend the money to buy a set. Burpees, push ups, sit ups, what else should I be doing? My goal is weight loss.

7 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Any good workout ideas for inside the garage? Now that gyms will be closing across the state I'm fucked. I can do my cardio around the neighborhood but I don't have weights at home nor do I want to spend the money to buy a set. Burpees, push ups, sit ups, what else should I be doing? My goal is weight loss.

yes.

stretching, body weight squats, step ups, pull ups(if you can mount a bar in a doorway).

41 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

The best method to lose weight is diet. Takes a lot more effort to burn calories than just avoid eating/drinking them in the first. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

A few days of working from home, and I find myself hitting the fridge and pantry too often. I have to reverse this course starting today.

spacer.png

I was already planning on doing this this year and now I finally have the time. Trying to get 3-4 45min rides in per week. Snacking is an issue though since my wife bought everything in sight at HEB this past weekend.

So question for intermittent fasting. If I work out in AM during my fasting period, will I loose/limit muscle mass if I don’t eat before the workout?  I usually will eat a shake and lunch immediately afterwards, but just coffee beforehand  

Goal is to add muscle/strength, while losing maybe 5 lbs. I’m fortunate to be lean genetically and in my early years struggled to add weight. 

maybe other question is can you loose fat at same time as adding muscle?  Or better to separate?

ive been doing the intermittent fasting for a year or so. Eat like crap 10 hrs a day, nothing the rest. So far I’ve lost a few lbs and strongest I’ve ever been.  But recently a bunch of peeps told me it’s a sin to workout on empty stomach. 

8 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Do you have a kettlebell? 

If you don't might want to get one or two.  It'll wear your ass out

I have been on the home workout  for years now. Just hated driving to the gym everyday. I also need some sort of plan going in or I will just kinda futz around and not really get in a good balance workout. 

For those looking for routines at home depending on your equipment options:

AthleanX-Jeff Cavelier. He has a ton of plans from body weight only to full squat rack. Big focus on effective athletic moves and not doing stupid stuff to get hurt which is helpful for an old guy like me. I have done AX, AX2, XERO plus a few others. I am currently doing Monster Maker and have been pleased so far. 

Beachbody online: Cheap monthly streaming. Access to P90X, P90X2, P90X3, Insanity, Tony Horton One on One routines (Dumbell and cardio routines that are pretty good if you can tolerate TH's personality), Yoga, Body Beast (a really good weight training plan if you have access to a good supply of dumbbells and a weight bench). Beachbody can be a bit annoying with their trainer personalities, but in these difficult times its hard to be picky. 

TRX is another good option and there are some ass kicking schedules out there that will expose just  how weak your core is while trying to press/curl etc. 

For the I don't have weights at home crowd, TRX and Athlean-X Xero could work. Here is a sample of the no body weight workout. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, topochico said:

I have been on the home workout  for years now. Just hated driving to the gym everyday. I also need some sort of plan going in or I will just kinda futz around and not really get in a good balance workout. 

AthleanX-Jeff Cavelier. He has a ton of plans from body weight only to full squat rack. Big focus on effective athletic moves and not doing stupid stuff to get hurt which is helpful for an old guy like me. I have done AX, AX2, XERO plus a few others. I am currently doing Monster Maker and have been pleased so far. 

Beachbody online: Cheap monthly streaming. Access to P90X, P90X2, P90X3, Insanity, Tony Horton One on One routines (Dumbell and cardio routines that are pretty good if you can tolerate TH's personality), Yoga, Body Beast (a really good weight training plan if you have access to a good supply of dumbbells and a weight bench). Beachbody can be a bit annoying with their trainer personalities, but in these difficult times its hard to be picky. 

TRX is another good option and there are some ass kicking schedules out there that will expose just  how weak your core is while trying to press/curl etc. 

For the I don't have weights at home crowd, TRX and Athlean-X Xero could work. Here is a sample of the no body weight workout. 

I like Athlean X. Jeff has taught me a number of tricks, and does a good job explaining the anatomy lesson too. I used to put on one of his utube vids while warming up before doing that muscle group...very helpful. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 4:30 AM, topochico said:

I did this yesterday based on your recommendation.  I now feel like a Mack truck ran over me.  JFC that is some hard shit.  I liked it though and plan on sticking with the program over the next few weeks.  I did 2 rounds at around 30 minutes and it flew by, I think because of the quick transitions you're constantly focused on what you're doing and what you're about to do.  

I posted this on the elliptical thread but I got this for Christmas:  https://hydrow.com. It's child's play compared to Athlean, but it's a decent work out to mix into the rotation and take pressure off pain spots from running.  Also recommend the Theragun for recovery if you're getting up in the years.

G3_BLACK_PDP_HERO_1.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Two years ago yesterday, I decided to get off my lazy ass and do something.  I weighed in yesterday at 184.8, 131.8 pounds total lost since April 5, 2018.

I've lost 3 pounds over the last 3 weeks due to my gym being closed.  It sucks.  I've gone for a run about 5 times over the past week and a half.  I haven't been able to run a mile without stopping since high school.  I did it my third time out last week.

To everyone struggling right now with gaining a bit of weight due to not being able to exercise properly with gym closures: watch what you eat.  Eat as you normally would, avoid snacking.

• Like 7

On 3/19/2020 at 11:17 AM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I’ve increased my running to 5 miles every day, but am doing exactly zero strength or other exercises. My diet is definitely way worse, but cooking and drinking with my wife in the evenings is maybe the only enjoyable part of the day, so I’m not giving that up for the foreseeable future.

Exact same here, bro.  

Yesterday, I jogged/walked 8 miles during the morning.  Got home with huge blisters on the bottom of both feet.  Drank 3 glasses of bourbon in the evening.  Got into an argument (minor) with my wife.  Put my shoes on and ran 4 more miles at 11PM.  Fun times.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

I don't know if I've even checked in here since the start of the year. I know I planned to but I didn't have much to report. I think I started the year around 200-205. I've been below 195 for a month or so now and teasing 190  on occasion. Just doing the Keto shuffle, no hurry here. 185 was the goal weight back in 2018 when I started but I think now that 175-170 may be in play. At my age, be 60 this year, and physical shape, not muscled up, that range should be close to ideal. I guess I'm getting ahead of myself. Anyway, still doing what I've been doing and it's still working so I guess I'll keep doing it.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

You guys been going the right way or wrong way during this? My days haven't changed much from the virus, but I turned up the notch a little the last few weeks. Have myself down to 172, which at 5'10" and coming from an overweight pedigree, I feel really good about it. I had hit 220 a year and a half ago and it's been pretty slow and steady since I started working at it. It's a good weight for me, but I'd like to lose 8 or so more, just so when I gain 10 pounds over a holiday I can just shrug it off. 

I have gotten to that point though, where almost all of my clothes need to be replaced. That's a bit daunting because I like clothes and spend money on them. I'm just trying to watch sales, and pick up a shirt here, pair of pants there. Not the worst problem to have. Especially right now. 

Keep on keepin on, my fat and fit friends alike. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

You guys been going the right way or wrong way during this? My days haven't changed much from the virus, but I turned up the notch a little the last few weeks. Have myself down to 172, which at 5'10" and coming from an overweight pedigree, I feel really good about it. I had hit 220 a year and a half ago and it's been pretty slow and steady since I started working at it. It's a good weight for me, but I'd like to lose 8 or so more, just so when I gain 10 pounds over a holiday I can just shrug it off. 

I have gotten to that point though, where almost all of my clothes need to be replaced. That's a bit daunting because I like clothes and spend money on them. I'm just trying to watch sales, and pick up a shirt here, pair of pants there. Not the worst problem to have. Especially right now. 

Keep on keepin on, my fat and fit friends alike. 

I'm actually drinking a bit more during this quarantine period.  Not a lot, but a noticeable amount for a guy who usually doesn't drink at all during the week and reserves my alcohol indulgence for the weekends.  But I managed to find a couple sets of dumbbells to keep most of my lean muscle mass after not hitting a gym since March 12, and I'm running about twice a week, and trying not to eat a lot of carbs and crap foods out of boredom.  Oddly, it seems like I've actually shed a bit more body fat over the past few weeks. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Went off the rails over the weekend eating junk. Sometimes I have to do that to refocus. Plan on strictly following the diet until my 40th in a few weeks. Bought a bike online today too because my legs and feet are getting tired of all the walking. 

I need something like a bike to do cardio. That's pretty much all I did at the gym, besides some cable weights. Bike and stair master for 30 minutes each hard, have my heart rate in the 140-150's for an hour. I can't get my heart rate up walking and my knees won't let me run anymore. I tried to incorporate sprints into walking, but that was too hard on my knees, too. 

There's got to be something simple I can do for good cardio. I have a jump rope, but I have to take that outside and really don't have anywhere to do that. A bike is too permanent. Thought about a small trampoline for inside. Even stairs would be fine, but I can't think of anywhere I can do that. I do a lot of rucking, but that doesn't get my heart going much, either. 

Lunges or some shit? 

• 2 weeks later...

Just started Noom with my wife about 5 days ago.  Already down nearly 5 lbs.  I didn't think I would like it, but I do.  I've never felt this empowered on a diet.  Says I can reach my weight goal by mid-October (55 lbs down from the start).  Anyone else try it?  If anyone is interested, the first 2 weeks are free and you can use my referral code to get 20% off.

https://friends.noom.com/YVJJMkoxU0l1OmNm

On 3/19/2020 at 11:17 AM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I’ve increased my running to 5 miles every day, but am doing exactly zero strength or other exercises. My diet is definitely way worse, but cooking and drinking with my wife in the evenings is maybe the only enjoyable part of the day, so I’m not giving that up for the foreseeable future.

This is 100% me.  My wife is a phenomenal cook, and loves to bake.  So, I've upped the miles to offset.  Over the last 45 days, I've run almost 250 miles.  But, I've eaten dessert probably 43 of those 45 days and consumed alcohol 40 of the 45 days.

Well, I think that if I share this information then it may help me to keep going.

I started the Beach Body 4 Weeks of the Prep on Monday.  I'm 50 and the only working out that I have done in 7 or 8 years is splitting wood on our property.  My muscles are extremely sore today, but it really does feel great.  Wish me luck.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 5:55 PM, El Diablo said:

I don't know if I've even checked in here since the start of the year. I know I planned to but I didn't have much to report. I think I started the year around 200-205. I've been below 195 for a month or so now and teasing 190  on occasion. Just doing the Keto shuffle, no hurry here. 185 was the goal weight back in 2018 when I started but I think now that 175-170 may be in play. At my age, be 60 this year, and physical shape, not muscled up, that range should be close to ideal. I guess I'm getting ahead of myself. Anyway, still doing what I've been doing and it's still working so I guess I'll keep doing it.

Nothing has changed, lol. Still sitting on 193 or thereabouts. Went thru a spell, hell still going thru it, of eating carbs - candy, Reese's p/b cups specifically. Haven't gained a pound but still, need to lose! And not to mention that eating carbs sporadically like that when doing Keto the rest of the time fucks with my body, hard. Flu like symptoms at this particular time in history is not cool, man. I broke down and bought all new skivvies, pants, belt, shirts. Shit was just hanging on me so at least if/when I ever do go out again I'm going to look good. Keep at it!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ajax said:

This lockdown has me getting fat. There is a global shortage of kettlebells and people are selling their shit-old equipment for double the retail price of new stuff.

Been doing a lot of rucking  since the gym closed. Up to about 35 pounds in the backpack for 6 miles. Good workout and gets me outside.  Been eating like a fat fuck though, so it's kind of a wash.

still chugging along on the low carb thing.  about the same weight I have been for the last 8 months or so.

doing no cardio though.  pick up bball games at the Y are a no-go since lockdown, but I did start doing some pushups in the last 2 weeks.  It's been 1 year since shoulder surgery and I thought I would never be able to even do a push up again due to the pain.  So that has been a plus.

I am spending way too much $ ordering low carb shit online, though (this has included Pecan Lodge bbq once per week)

On 3/19/2020 at 12:54 PM, HRSchenker said:

Here are a couple that I have been doing:

Pushup/Flutter Kick Countdown/Up

20 reps Pushups/1 4 count Flutterkick

19 reps Pushups/2 4 count Flutterkick

All the way down to 1 Push up and Up to 20 4 count Flutter kicks

Another good one

10 Burpees

10 Burpees & 25 Pushups

10 Burpees, 25 Pushups, 50 Lunges

10 Burpees, 25 Pushups, 50 Lunges, 100 Situps

10 Burpees, 25 Pushups, 50 Lunges, 100 Situps, 150 Squats

and lastly

10 - 20 -30 -40 - 50 - 60 -70 -80 - 90 - 100 (alternating lunge sets)

10 Burpees after each set

I would also recommend intermittent fasting. I do where I eat from 12-8 and fast the other time.

On 5/15/2020 at 11:54 AM, BrazilHorn said:

Here are a couple that I have been doing:

Pushup/Flutter Kick Countdown/Up

20 reps Pushups/1 4 count Flutterkick

19 reps Pushups/2 4 count Flutterkick

All the way down to 1 Push up and Up to 20 4 count Flutter kicks

Another good one

10 Burpees

10 Burpees & 25 Pushups

10 Burpees, 25 Pushups, 50 Lunges

10 Burpees, 25 Pushups, 50 Lunges, 100 Situps

10 Burpees, 25 Pushups, 50 Lunges, 100 Situps, 150 Squats

and lastly

10 - 20 -30 -40 - 50 - 60 -70 -80 - 90 - 100 (alternating lunge sets)

10 Burpees after each set

I would also recommend intermittent fasting. I do where I eat from 12-8 and fast the other time.

You do the 20 pushup/flutter ladder everyday? I can barely do 14 ladder and aside from being hard, not sure my shoulders will every be able handle 210 pushups a day.  As it is, i do it regular style twice a week, and "girlie" style 3 days a week with a max out day on Saturdays. I mean, props to you, I'm just skittish about ripping some muscle/tendon right now and having to spend extensive amounts of time in any ER/clinic/hospital.

On the other hand, figured the 'rona is the best time to be serious about weight loss. Was already doing ok and now that i'm doing the 22 day athlean ab challenge (day 9 today) i'm down 13 lbs since March 13, and only 7 away from my target weight. Good luck to everyone.

• Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, achooloco said:

You do the 20 pushup/flutter ladder everyday? I can barely do 14 ladder and aside from being hard, not sure my shoulders will every be able handle 210 pushups a day.  As it is, i do it regular style twice a week, and "girlie" style 3 days a week with a max out day on Saturdays. I mean, props to you, I'm just skittish about ripping some muscle/tendon right now and having to spend extensive amounts of time in any ER/clinic/hospital.

On the other hand, figured the 'rona is the best time to be serious about weight loss. Was already doing ok and now that i'm doing the 22 day athlean ab challenge (day 9 today) i'm down 13 lbs since March 13, and only 7 away from my target weight. Good luck to everyone.

No, do 1-2x/weel

Typical week for me would be

2X - 2 mile walk (dog) so 4 miles total each day (one in morning, one in evening)

M, W, F, Sat (PT Style workout - one of the ones above, as well as others. I tend to use Kettle-Bells, dumbbells, bodyweight, sand bags etc)

T, Thu, Sun (Yoga along with 10-15 mins Battle ropes) I will do a 45-60 min yoga class and then 10-15 mins of a battle rope workout where it is 30sec on 30sec off

I am not perfect with this, some days I say screw it and take off. But by and large I am doing something every day.

• 2 weeks later...

So... I’ve noticed as I’ve worked out every day for the past 2 months and getting more fit is I’m hungrier than ever these past few weeks. And I’ll chow down. I’m not on any sort of diet, but three weeks ago I was actually decent at stopping when I felt full. Except now I feel hungry all the time, especially around dinner time.  I’m still working out every day, but man if I was even a little bit better with my diet past two weeks, I would be further along. Any tips or guidance?  

Edited by YChang

11 hours ago, YChang said:

So... I’ve noticed as I’ve worked out every day for the past 2 months and getting more fit is I’m hungrier than ever these past few weeks. And I’ll chow down. I’m not on any sort of diet, but three weeks ago I was actually decent at stopping when I felt full. Except now I feel hungry all the time, especially around dinner time.  I’m still working out every day, but man if I was even a little bit better with my diet past two weeks, I would be further along. Any tips or guidance?  

Hannibal_Lecter_in_Silence_of_the_Lambs.

Is weight loss your goal?  In my limited experience, diet is way more key than exercise for weight loss.  What are eating to sate your extra hunger?  if it's high calorie/high carb stuff, then that would be where i would start.

13 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Hannibal_Lecter_in_Silence_of_the_Lambs.

Is weight loss your goal?  In my limited experience, diet is way more key than exercise for weight loss.  What are eating to sate your extra hunger?  if it's high calorie/high carb stuff, then that would be where i would start.

I'm not super-lean or cut or even in shape, really.  But I mountain bike frequently to keep the coronary arteries and joints up and running.

If, as gyro says, you eat a lot of carby stuff, your hunger continues and grows as you exercise.  But if you stick with proteins and "fiber carbs" (nuts, raw vegetables, even fruit) at meals and for snacks, those do a better job satiating your hunger.

Just my observation.

Want to lose weight? It's a very simple equation.

Calories in < Calories burned.

Doesn't get more simple than that. But it's harder to do than going to the gym or working out. The gym is something you commit to 1 hour a day. Eating right is a 24 hour everyday commitment.

If you have a hard time sticking to a strict diet plan, tackle it in phases. Easy sensible start is to stop snacking in between meals. That alone should cut a few hundred calories. Next is to stop drinking shit with corn syrup. Actually just drink water. If you can do those two things religiously, you will probably already start losing weight. 

if you work out and burn calories, don't waste that 1 hour sweat equity by eating shit the rest of the day. That's a ginormous waste of effort.

Edited by crash_davis