2019 Body Transformation Thread

The holidays are over. Back on the weight loss train. Last year was a success for a lot of folks in the 2018 thread. Personally, I’m down 102.2 pounds in 8 months. I’m at 214.4 and wanting to hit 205.

Post your updates, struggles, and successes here to brag. Also, if you’re wandering in to see if you can lose a few pounds, yes you can. If you have any questions, ask them. We’re here to support each other! Let’s kick 2019 in the ass!

• Like 5

I'm in, again. Dropped 25 last year just with diet alone. Most of that was due to giving up soda/sugary drinks. I also went semi-Keto. This year will be hitting the gym and getting the cardio/fat burning furnace stoked. Best of luck to all you Surly mitches!

• Like 1

Think i’ll join this year.  I have been between 220 and 230 for years and my sugars and A1C are trending towards diabeetus.   I haven’t gotten diet and exercise changes to stick in the past,  but this is my year.  I am 42 and need to for my daughters (6&8, no pics). 

I’m in as well. Having my second back surgery (discectomy) in 16 months next week. Been sitting between 230-240 for the past couple of years and sick of this shit. Neurosurgeon says next herniation will require disc replacement and fusion, so it’s time to shed the weight and get the core in shape. Let’s do this.

• Like 1

In; I got really lazy last year and didn't do as much running, biking, and gym as I always have.  Getting older my metabolism isn't what it used to be so I gained ~20lbs in 2018.  

edit; of course I'll be starting tomorrow after tonights game.  

Edited by SDG

I checked out the last 2.5 months of 2018 and gained a pile back.  Still finished the year down 50 pounds exactly.

I stopped eating at midnight on NYE.  I'm 26 hours into a fast to get the year started right.  Sort of shooting for 120 hours, but really just going as long as I can.  If it's shorter, that's fine.  I'll eat meat and start another fast.

• Like 1

Back at it starting this morning after 2+ weeks of shitty food, too much booze and little to no exercise. 

In addition to getting back to a lower-carb diet and resuming morning workouts, today is Day 1 of my first ever attempt at a Dry January. Planning to go completely sober until visiting clients out of town on the 30th.

Weighed in at 201 this morning. Aiming for anything below 190 by the time my trip rolls around.

• Like 1

Dropped about 40 pounds last year but stalled out in July and just maintained right around 200 since then.

I'm hoping to get down to 180 this year. GF wants to train for a 5K, so hopefully the additional cardio will help. 

Diet has been Keto but lots of cheat weekends that I need to stop. May eliminate breakfast as well to add in some intermittent fasting.

Gained about 20 lbs last year that I want to get rid of. Also, noticed that I'm getting winded alot easier. I used to run 3 miles a day, I doubt I can make it a mile right now. 

No specific diet, just healthier foods with more fruits and vegetables. And cutting my drinking down to just beer and only on Friday night. 

As far was work outs. run or bike 30 minutes early in the morning, I would prefer running outdoors, but I got and stationary bike and treadmeal I can use on bad weather days. Then eat breakfast and catch up on the news. The hit the gym for weights 4 days a week. 

Edited by Jameslaw121

Checking in here for the first time. I’ve cycled weight loss/gain my whole life. I gained about 20lbs last year and now I’m around my high at 208. I need to get back down to at least 190 to get my clothes fitting well again. Ultimately I’d like to get back down to 175-180 which is about the best I’ve done.

I got back into the gym last month but really it’s my diet and portion control that kill me. My self control with food is terrible and my pregnant wife has us eating a lot of pizza and whatbutger. Who am I to deny her?!?? I’m afraid the poor diet is just going to get worse when our girl arrives in February. Since we’re going to be so tired and busy, my plan is to keep the fridge stocked with snap meals. If I could get on that train for a while, it will help immensely. 

Good luck everyone. 

Gained about 20 lbs last year that I want to get rid of. Also, noticed that I'm getting winded alot easier. I used to run 3 miles a day, I doubt I can make it a mile right now. 
No specific diet, just healthier foods with more fruits and vegetables. And cutting my drinking down to just beer and only on Friday night. 
As far was work outs. run or bike 30 minutes early in the morning, I would prefer running outdoors, but I got and stationary bike and treadmeal I can use on bad weather days. Then eat breakfast and catch up on the news. The hit the gym for weights 4 days a week. 
If it's just friday night not a big deal but straight booze or with club soda is your friend.

I was at 217 when I graduated college last December and am now at 243. I’m 6’7” so I’m not really “fat” but I want to get of the belly I’ve developed. I’d honestly be happy if I could get into the 225-230 range and maintain.

Big dietary changes I’m making are: No fried food, no soda (don’t like diet soda so at meals drink either seltzer, water, lower-sugar juice or occasionally a G2 or the like), and no beer (for the month of January at least).

We’ll see how long I can last. I kind of want to try fasting too but I get so bored without being able to eat.

I gotta do something. Pronto. Need suggestions where to start. So far, I'm going with cutting out sodas (I've done it before) and cutting out chips (that's a big deal) as well as cutting down on carbs (bread will be a BIG deal for me).

Any other suggestions for getting started?

I don't have a lot to lose, but I want to lose another 7 lbs or 4% body fat whichever comes first.  I've stalled out the last 6-7 months.  I do well for a couple of a weeks, then go back to eating too much crap at night.  I figured I could make myself accountable by coming on here.  Good luck to everyone for a healthier 2019.

• Like 1

I gotta do something. Pronto. Need suggestions where to start. So far, I'm going with cutting out sodas (I've done it before) and cutting out chips (that's a big deal) as well as cutting down on carbs (bread will be a BIG deal for me).

Start moving. Walk more. Do basic body weight exercises and be honest with what you eat. I’ve BS’d myself over my diet the last year. It’s why I’ve stalled out and not improved.

Good luck.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, tchookem said:

Sounds like you have a good idea of what you need to do, but I would recommend putting a plan together, at least in your head. Good start cutting out sodas and chips. Now cut out bread as well, get your carbs from vegetables. Thousands of places to read about low carb diets which it sounds like you want to start. At the beginning, keep it simple, eat foods you like that are low carb, makes the beginning easier and easier to get into a routine. After a couple of weeks, you can look at incorporating new foods, more balanced diet, etc. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DCA_HORN said:
19 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

If it's just friday night not a big deal but straight booze or with club soda is your friend.

Yeah, I don't disagree with you. I just know myself well enough to know that I can drink a six pack of good beer, have a good night, and wake up almost perfectly fine the next day. Whereas whiskey, not so much......

Also, buying a six pack and drinking all or most of it that night keeps my temptations away. I know in the past, if I had a long day at work, I'll come home, crack open a beer or pour a whiskey. Then I'll wind up eating snacking all night and having three or four drinks.

Edited by Jameslaw121

8 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

22 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Sounds like you have a good idea of what you need to do, but I would recommend putting a plan together, at least in your head. Good start cutting out sodas and chips. Now cut out bread as well, get your carbs from vegetables. Thousands of places to read about low carb diets which it sounds like you want to start. At the beginning, keep it simple, eat foods you like that are low carb, makes the beginning easier and easier to get into a routine. After a couple of weeks, you can look at incorporating new foods, more balanced diet, etc. 

I would add - get a food tracker app on your phone. I use myfitnesspal. And it's really easy to log food. You'll start to notice when went to far eating certain things. It's also nice because when you get something "Healthy" from a fast food place or something  and log it in, you can see if it really was or not (spoiler alert [morgan freeman]It wasn't[.morgan freeman])

Edited by Jameslaw121
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, hrmaddie said:

I don't have a lot to lose, but I want to lose another 7 lbs or 4% body fat whichever comes first.  I've stalled out the last 6-7 months.  I do well for a couple of a weeks, then go back to eating too much crap at night.  I figured I could make myself accountable by coming on here.  Good luck to everyone for a healthier 2019.

There is no magic.  My program last year was simple- burn more calories than I consume.  That starts with some basic food and lifestyle changes.  The biggest is portion control.  I have always been someone who will eat whatever is in front of me, and all of it.  I think it stems from being one of 5 kids and if you didn't eat fast and a lot, it was gone.  But you'd be surprised how you just don't need to eat the massive amounts you probably do, and I don't mean that disparagingly.  Portion sizes in this country have gotten ridiculous, and we have re-programmed ourselves as to what a full me amounts to.  It is WAY more than what was normal 20-30 years ago.  So start there.  And you can make tasty food without much sacrifice.  Choose the the lower fat/calorie salad dressings, mayos, cheeses, etc.  Eat a single protein- chicken breast, fish, and red meat is fine in smaller portions.  A couple of things I did to help aid my portion control is as soon as I felt I had an adequate amount, I immediately threw out what was ever left on my plate.  If I set it on the counter, I would invariably go back and pick at it.  Also I would go brush my teeth shortly after my meal.  Something about doing that puts a stop to wanting more.  And as state above, get moving.  But don't adopt some military-style boot-camp workout.  YOu won't maintain it.  Just adopt a workout that burns calories, even if it is just walking, and stick to it.  Anyway, this approach worked for me.  And I LOVE food.

I’m 228. New meal life starts next week, as does workout. I have my 6 week workout plan written. 2 on, 1 off, 2 on and goof off on the weekends. Little golf, little cycling and some soccer days with the kid - just something to keep moving on the weekends.

1 hour ago, Lobwedgephil said:

I started a low carb meal topic on the food board for anyone looking for ideas, or has any recipes, etc. to share for anyone interested. Low carb is easy for me, but always looking for new ideas as it gets harder to find new things to eat. 

Nice! I posted my low carb gumbo hack over there.

• Like 1

some good stuff in here. I'm a big believer in intermittent fasting for keeping off the weight. 16/8 is what i've been doing for the last 8 years or so. there have been plenty of times i've not followed strictly since i like to partake in the wine but its worked for me. when i really need to get lean I'll add keto---actually getting into ketosis or at least low carb, say less than 50 grams. I've been into weights for nearly 20 years and believe lifting heavy is important. 

those of you that have had trouble with diets and keeping off the weight longterm, please give Intermittent fasting a try.

Good luck gentlemen 

I think whatever people do it has to be sustainable to be effective.  And I have found the more dramatic the approach, the less likely it will last long term.  I wish you all the best.

For those of you who eat out at lunch, what are some of your go-to lunch choices?  I have the soup and salad places down, but looking for variety that still keeps my meal below 600 cal.

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Like 2

There is no magic.  My program last year was simple- burn more calories than I consume.  That starts with some basic food and lifestyle changes.  The biggest is portion control.  I have always been someone who will eat whatever is in front of me, and all of it.  I think it stems from being one of 5 kids and if you didn't eat fast and a lot, it was gone.  But you'd be surprised how you just don't need to eat the massive amounts you probably do, and I don't mean that disparagingly.  Portion sizes in this country have gotten ridiculous, and we have re-programmed ourselves as to what a full me amounts to.  It is WAY more than what was normal 20-30 years ago.  So start there.  And you can make tasty food without much sacrifice.  Choose the the lower fat/calorie salad dressings, mayos, cheeses, etc.  Eat a single protein- chicken breast, fish, and red meat is fine in smaller portions.  A couple of things I did to help aid my portion control is as soon as I felt I had an adequate amount, I immediately threw out what was ever left on my plate.  If I set it on the counter, I would invariably go back and pick at it.  Also I would go brush my teeth shortly after my meal.  Something about doing that puts a stop to wanting more.  And as state above, get moving.  But don't adopt some military-style boot-camp workout.  YOu won't maintain it.  Just adopt a workout that burns calories, even if it is just walking, and stick to it.  Anyway, this approach worked for me.  And I LOVE food.

This is fantastic advice in regards to portion control. I’ve struggled with it lately but a few years ago, I basically cut everything in half and dropped a ton of weight.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

I think whatever people do it has to be sustainable to be effective.  And I have found the more dramatic the approach, the less likely it will last long term.  I wish you all the best.

For those of you who eat out at lunch, what are some of your go-to lunch choices?  I have the soup and salad places down, but looking for variety that still keeps my meal below 600 cal.

I need more of this. I'm on the road for work at least 3 days a week. Normally, I can take my lunch, but not always

52, and my weight had been climbing for years. Mid-september I hit 230 and decided I got get serious this time. I signed up for a half marathon that day, but had to walk to lose the first 10 lb before I could actually start jogging again. Dropped 38.6 lb by the end of the year ( 3.5 months). At 189 now, heading for 175.  

That said, getting old sucks. Even with exercise, if I eat more than about a thousand calories a day I don't lose weight.   I now live vicariously through my kids watching them eat pizza.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I agree with you 100%.

That's why I like intermittent fasting. You are not following a diet like Keto, Paleo, Whole 30 or whatever you fancy for Jan 1. I tell people start with 12/12 and you are sleeping for 8 of the 12 hours of the fast.  You can pretty much stay with your normal eating habits-I mean you can't eat processed foods, sugars and carbs for the other 12 hours and lose weight but you do not have to be super strict like the diets. Then work your way to 16/8.

From Chipotle I order the salad- double chicken, sauteed veggies, pico, hot salsa and cheese, No dressing.  sometimes I add the Guac. i think it is right at 600 cal. 

• Like 3

Almost 67 hours into 2019.  Haven't eaten anything yet.  I did have some chicken broth (5 calories) last night to get some sodium in.  I've also taken a few swigs of Louisiana hot sauce for a 0 calorie flavor burst and some sodium.

Down 7.x pounds.  I'm dropping about a pound of mostly water weight every 10 hours so far.

Edited by Longhorn Al
  • Like 1

The real fun starts today as this will be my first weekend in god knows how long that I'm planning to avoid shitty foods and not have a single drink.

Even at times where I get in a good groove fitness-wise, I typically just  stick to living right Monday through Friday morning, but then jump off the wagon hard starting at lunch on Friday.

On 1/3/2019 at 1:13 AM, tchookem said:

On 1/3/2019 at 9:28 AM, Lobwedgephil said:

tchookem, it's gotta be a shock to your system.  Here's how I did it back in April 2015.  I'd been believing that absolute nonsense about calories in/calories out that doesn't account for things like hormone levels and insulin response and was living what I thought was a "healthy" lifestyle. . .eliptical for an hour a day, 6 inch subway turkey sandwiches and baked lays with unsweetened tea. . .the typical MISGUIDED low fat diet.  I'd been doing this for 2 years and wasn't losing weight.  On a Sunday afternoon at Subway I had a moment of clarity and started researching diets that actually work. . .stumbled upon r/keto on reddit. . .and my life changed. Decided to start high fat/low carb/moderate protein the following week.

Saturday April 18 2015. . .bag of pork rinds and some LaCroix sparkling water for lunch.  Went to my favorite mexican joint and ordered mixed fajitas for 2 with no beans, rice, or tortillas, and a bowl of queso. . .ate the fajitas, guac, sour cream with a fork, and ate the queso with a spoon.

The following week I ate ribeyes, asparagus, broccoli, cheese, salami, almonds, pepperoni, dill pickles, hamburger patties. . .all the high fat foods that I LOVE but without the carbs. . .while my body kicked sugar.  I had actual fantasies about the Bread at Carrabbas. . .on 2 days I actually went home from work sick with keto flu. . .as my body became more keto adapted, those symptoms minimized.

For the following month, whenever I felt hungry I ate as much of that food as I wanted because DAMMIT I REFUSE TO NOT GO HUNGRY!!!!  As time passed, I found that it's really hard to overeat when carbs are not involved.

Blood sugar evened out, and 4 weeks - 6 weeks in I hit nirvana.  Weight just melted off.  Went from a size 42 to a 33 in about 6-9 months.  I was about 245 when I started, now I'm at 187.

I'm a fucking crackhead when it comes to desert. . .and the one or 2 times a month when I actually eat it I suffer for a few minutes as my body figures out what to do with all that excess sugar.

My philosophy is that I refuse to go hungry or miss out on something that I want, and so I had to find a sustainable diet. . .I'd say that 3.5 years into this lifestyle that it's sustainable.  I've had weeks (cruises) where I've just gone off the reservation and truly did not enjoy it - the new lifestyle is the norm, and the paradigm has shifted.

I used to live every day with guilt/shame/remorse that I was a fatty that wanted to lose weight but couldn't, I was desperate enough to try keto before it became mainstream.  It's been a long time since I felt embarrassed about my body. . .I used to see myself in the mirror as "you are a fat miserable fuck" and now when I get out of the shower I'm "man, you look good you skinny sexy motherfucker!"

For a compulsive addictive type as myself, change requires a complete emotional displacement - the 2 things I've done as a man that I'm most proud of is putting the plug in the jug (8 years sober next week) and changing my diet.

It's amazing how little food we actually need.

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

It's amazing how little food we actually need.

This right here.  I typically follow a 20/4 intermittent fasting routine.  It's amazing how much clearer my head is at work when I only eat once a day (sometimes I'll have some almonds as a snack around 2 or 3 PM).  I went to eat mexican food last night and thought I kinda blew my diet (I was hungry and my parents were in town).  I ate some chips and salsa and had a tortilla.  Got on the scale this morning and was 213.4.  Didn't gain anything.  Looking back, did I need to gorge myself?  No.  I was just eating to eat.  There are times when you screw up and you can learn from them.  This was one of those times for me.

Is intermittent fasting considered starving yourself?  Maybe.  But your body gets used to it.  I don't feel hungry most of the day.