2019 Body Transformation Thread

Haven’t been on the scale yet but I’m pretty sure I’ve gained 30-40 pounds since this time last year.  Too much bad food, no exercise and booze.  Going to start next week with a cleanse, no booze and a bit of exercise.  I will weigh in and post it on this thread before I start next week.

For me, intermittent fasting is the simplest and easiest thing to do...and it's really quite natural.  

The holidays just really messed everything up for me.  Ate crap the entire time, and was eating all the time.  In just a couple of days I haven't been able to get back to a really good keto regiment yet, but I have been able to transition back to a 16:8 or even OMAD fasting regime, and I can already tell the difference.

All those years they said don't skip meals because it will ruin your metabolism.  But that was completely wrong.  It's the eating reduced calories throughout the day that actually messes up the metabolism.  They have found an 18-21 hour fast is ideal and actually increases metabolism.

• Like 3

I broke my fast last night at 72 hours.  I had a 16oz lean steak, some cheese, 3 eggs, some pork rinds and some ranch dip.  And a bit of A1.  Very keto.  Pushing 2,000 calories.  I ate it in about 35 minutes.  Then immediately began my next fast.  I'm going to try for a bunch of 72-hour fasts in a row. I'm 17 hours into my 2nd one right now.

I've lost almost 12 lbs since I started.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Where's @Bernard ? He kinda set the standard for fasting last year. I wonder if it "stuck". 

Here for my walk of shame...

Lost 92 pounds from 1/1/2018 until the football season started. Thought I had a decent plan to maintain. Lots of football, food and beer put that plan straight in the ditch. I'm back for 2019 though. Haven't been on the scale in a couple months. I'm still way down from where I was 12 months ago, but kicking myself for not falling off the wagon so hard.

Sugar Bowl and tomorrow's Texans playoff game kicked my (broken record) New Year's resolution back a few days. Shit gets real again on Monday. Same plan as 2108: Fasting. I'm still a believer. I'll have some actual numbers soon. I moved (to Houston) a couple weeks ago and my scale is still back at the old house (in Sugar Land). 

Bernard

• Like 1

that's a helluva humblebrag walk of shame, losing 92 pounds!

Al reminded me of the main reason how I lost all my weight, and continue to maintain - Eggs and bacon - and sausage.  As much as a person could possibly want to eat.  Fried, Scrambled, omelettes. . .that's the perfect food.  I don't equate unlimited bacon with dieting, yet it's how I lost a lot of weight.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Peyote bro. Peyote. :) 

True story - one of the main reasons Geronimo fled the reservation to hole up in the sierra madres in Mexico and slaughtered dozens if not hundreds of ranchers and Mexican soldiers is because the federal government took away his firewater.  Not because he was alcoholic, but because they told him he couldn't have it.

14 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

that's a helluva humblebrag walk of shame, losing 92 pounds!

Al reminded me of the main reason how I lost all my weight, and continue to maintain - Eggs and bacon - and sausage.  As much as a person could possibly want to eat.  Fried, Scrambled, omelettes. . .that's the perfect food.  I don't equate unlimited bacon with dieting, yet it's how I lost a lot of weight.

intermittent fasting and keto is about a good as gets for losing weight rapidly. for me fasting 16/8 is easy but keto--and truly staying in ketosis is tough. lost of people say they are keto but unless you are testing your blood to make sure im not sure you are. 

Do any of you have any other goals besides just losing weight?  like doing say 10 pull ups, bench pressing your body weight or whatever? I find that helps and is important. its one thing to lose fat but also its important to gain strength or at least maintain strength. For me whats always been important is maintaining my strength. 

Edited by Errestaurants

Do any of you have any other goals besides just losing weight?  like doing say 10 pull ups, bench pressing your body weight or whatever? I find that helps and is important. its one thing to lose fat but also its important to gain strength or at least maintain strength. For me whats always been important is maintaining my strength. 

Double body weight dead lift
1 1/2 body weight squat
225 bench - again. I keep losing this one
10 pull-ups.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

I haven't set any specific goals but yes, fitness is going to be part of the picture this year. Last year it was getting a grip on my diet and I've been solid on that for a year so now it's time to add a little something to the mix. Started going to the gym a month or so back. After 15 years or so of being a couch potato I'm taking it very slowly but I'm going 4-6 days a week. Forming the habit is half the battle is what I learned from last year.

• Like 1

My goal now is to win.

I didn’t post much last year though I recall maybe I did a couple of times. Last year ended up being my year though. I started with a one hour tennis lesson once a week - no more, no less. God I was so out of shape. I hate working out but used to love playing sports so I thought I’d try that route. I did that for February and March. Then in April and May I added a second hour per week of cardio - just a placeholder hour work out on the eliptical.

During the summer I was at 3 days a week unless on vacation with my 3rd day being more tennis - ball machine work out or a friendly set. By the end of August I added circuit training 1-2 days a week for strength, endurance and mental determination. so I was at 4 days a week easy. And the tennis season started in September.

Now I’m up to 5-6 days a week 1-2 hours each with a pretty set routine - Monday, Wednesday and Friday are tennis (lesson, practice, competitive match play), Tuesday and Thursday are circuit training days (light free weights high reps, cardio, resistance) and Saturday is spin class.

And now I’m in the best shape of my life, nicely toned, strong tennis body (except a fluctuating queso belly) and some serious endurance and stamina.

I need to eat better but I think I can get that going. The problem is working out this much makes me super hungry and after a carb depletion all I want is a cheeseburger and fries. The diet issue for me is partially weight like all of us but more mental health as the processed carbs drive depression and overall lack of well being.

But for exercise, the real trick this time was to start playing again and to start slow and only require one day a week at first. Two whole months of nothing crazy. By the time the summer came around and I was at 3 days a week I could tell it was going to stick.

Now I’m watching my hydration, alcohol intake, sleep, food intake, stretching, muscle repair dynamics, all of the aspects of my body and it’s not a chore.

I’m also reading books on the mental aspects of tennis and working on mechanics and foot work and I can’t wait for the spring season to start. I was 2-2 last season in singles play and I’m hoping for a winning record this season. And all of that drives me to the gym. I want to win.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, troph said:

My goal now is to win.

I didn’t post much last year though I recall maybe I did a couple of times. Last year ended up being my year though. I started with a one hour tennis lesson once a week - no more, no less. God I was so out of shape. I hate working out but used to love playing sports so I thought I’d try that route. I did that for February and March. Then in April and May I added a second hour per week of cardio - just a placeholder hour work out on the eliptical.

During the summer I was at 3 days a week unless on vacation with my 3rd day being more tennis - ball machine work out or a friendly set. By the end of August I added circuit training 1-2 days a week for strength, endurance and mental determination. so I was at 4 days a week easy. And the tennis season started in September.

Now I’m up to 5-6 days a week 1-2 hours each with a pretty set routine - Monday, Wednesday and Friday are tennis (lesson, practice, competitive match play), Tuesday and Thursday are circuit training days (light free weights high reps, cardio, resistance) and Saturday is spin class.

And now I’m in the best shape of my life, nicely toned, strong tennis body (except a fluctuating queso belly) and some serious endurance and stamina.

I need to eat better but I think I can get that going. The problem is working out this much makes me super hungry and after a carb depletion all I want is a cheeseburger and fries. The diet issue for me is partially weight like all of us but more mental health as the processed carbs drive depression and overall lack of well being.

But for exercise, the real trick this time was to start playing again and to start slow and only require one day a week at first. Two whole months of nothing crazy. By the time the summer came around and I was at 3 days a week I could tell it was going to stick.

Now I’m watching my hydration, alcohol intake, sleep, food intake, stretching, muscle repair dynamics, all of the aspects of my body and it’s not a chore.

I’m also reading books on the mental aspects of tennis and working on mechanics and foot work and I can’t wait for the spring season to start. I was 2-2 last season in singles play and I’m hoping for a winning record this season. And all of that drives me to the gym. I want to win.

I know the feeling of wanting to just eat after carb depletion.  Workouts in Keto are incredible in the fact that you do not get hungry.  At all.  In fact, one has to force oneself to eat protien after the workout.

It's a little like having jedi powers, being able to push oneself for a hard workout and come away with more energy than when it began.

• Like 1

I know the feeling of wanting to just eat after carb depletion.  Workouts in Keto are incredible in the fact that you do not get hungry.  At all.  In fact, one has to force oneself to eat protien after the workout. It's a little like having jedi powers, being able to push oneself for a hard workout and come away with more energy than when it began.  

I’ve been in and out of keto and I’ve done super low carb not no carb and focused on natural carbs and then have gone totally off the wagon cheeseburgers and fries after circuit training (tues and thurs are tough) and what I’ve found is I am at my worst when I carb binge (obviously) but sluggish for a tennis lesson or match on no carb. But if I allow for an orange and yogurt before tennis with lots of water then I’m able to achieve peak physical performance for my age (or so I think). I then otherwise balance my natural sugar intake throughout the day I’m much better. Example - small snacks at work with no lunch comprised of nuts and raisins and protein shakes or bars with lots of water. I don’t know what low carb seems to work better for me means for anyone else and I’m not knocking keto bc my gf swears by it but for me? Just give me my orange slices goddammit!  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, troph said:

My goal now is to win.

Inner Tennis by Gallwey. It was a bit of a fad in the mid 70's when I started playing but it really helped me. It was also a PBS (?) show as well. Might be on the youtube now.

6 minutes ago, troph said:

I’ve been in and out of keto and I’ve done super low carb not no carb and focused on natural carbs and then have gone totally off the wagon cheeseburgers and fries after circuit training (tues and thurs are tough) and what I’ve found is I am at my worst when I carb binge (obviously) but sluggish for a tennis lesson or match on no carb. But if I allow for an orange and yogurt before tennis with lots of water then I’m able to achieve peak physical performance for my age (or so I think). I then otherwise balance my natural sugar intake throughout the day I’m much better. I don’t know what that means and I’m not knocking keto bc my gf swears by it but for me? Just give me my orange slices goddammit!

Most likely you are not in Ketosis while on "keto". Many people go on no carb but do not change the other part of their diet. Eating lots of fats, moderate protein and staying under 30 grams of carbs. Going only to super low carb and especially no carb will not get you into the state of ketosis. Your body using stored fat for energy. This can also take weeks to truly acheive. Thats why in my opinion keto is very hard to stay true to. Lots of people do keto diet and lose weight because they cut the carbs but then they plateau. They never fully reach the next level of ketosis.

• Like 1

Not sure i can answer that. Im not sure what max energy/peak performance is for you. In true "ketosis" you are basically using stored fat instead of carbs for energy. As you know having a balanced diet taking in complex carbs for fuel is a good way to go but most people dont take in those kind of carbs. I know there are some surly posters who can better answer this regarding ketosis and performance.

Looks like you are doing things right in life. Congrats for your sucesses. Little indulgences here n there make life go.

• Like 1

Well our household dispute is that I can play a 3 hour tennis match that goes to a third set tie break and be fine energy wise in ketosis. I’m not sure I can.

The main purpose of my post was to say taking it slow to make it stick worked for me and is a great way to avoid the emotional rush of new year resolutions that fizzle in a month or two. And god knows I’ve done that a dozen times before.

• Like 1

Athletic performance in Ketosis is a topic that's gone mainstream in recent years.  I'm particularly interested in running a marathon in ketosis, mainly because I've been reading David Goggins book Can't Hurt Me which is the self-help book du jour on Amazon.  He's not keto, just a Navy Seal that used to be a fat body and is now an ultra endurance athlete.  If someone like me can run a marathon then holy shit.  I'm about to call my shot, if I can get mentally committed to it.  My son is on the real Army (he's actually got an Army contract) Marathon team for the TAMU Corps and he does about 4 or 5 a year now and fundamentally we've got the same body types and I think it's something on which we can bond.

This article was interesting and informative - https://nypost.com/2018/03/19/heres-how-to-crush-a-race-by-running-on-a-keto-diet/

But ERRestaurants is spot on, and in my experience I wasn't truly body and brain keto adapted for athletics for a long time - in fact I did not have a workout regime my first 6 months in keto.  You have to replace the carbs with a shitload of fat, too.

The problem with FAT is that it's called FAT.  It should be called "ENERGY".

Edited by BearSchlong

4 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Inner Tennis by Gallwey. It was a bit of a fad in the mid 70's when I started playing but it really helped me. It was also a PBS (?) show as well. Might be on the youtube now.

Don't make me doxx you dude, I've gone nearly a decade without letting the cat out of the bag and I know you IRL.

Sugar-Daddy.jpg?w=1600&h=1067&q=75

I’ll post what I did to lose 65lbs in 10 months and keep it off for the last 4 or 5. It’s opposite of most everyone here because I don’t want to give up carbs or fast. It’s basically the DASH diet (low sodium). That pretty much limits the processed foods you can eat but let’s me eat plenty of carbs, meat, fruit and drink plenty of beer. I avoid dairy. I started at 250 and now I’m maintaining between 182-185. It also allows for a splurge when I want one. 

I do pretty much the same workout I’ve always done. 3 days a week I do weights and elliptical. The other 4 I do an hour on the elliptical just to get my steps in. I’ve lost maybe 10lbs off my bench. 

• Like 3

Inner Game of Tennis by W Timothy Gallwey - yeah I’m on chapter 3 I focus on each chapter one at a time. It’s pretty damn good and has interesting applicability outside of tennis and even outside of sports. The self talk, no judgment and observe chapters early are solid. That’s where I’m at. Observe my form and mechanics and don’t judge outcomes good or bad.

I was in spin class this morning and the burn was extra noticeable and I told myself I push in work outs so I can focus on mechanics in practice (instead of tired legs) and I focus on mechanics in practice (instead of my tired legs and sloppy mechanics) so I can focus on the game when I play. I’m a bit obsessed. Gf used the addict word a few weeks back.

Still have a “nice” pot belly that I just can get rid of though, doesn’t seem to matter what I do barring a full on keto run which admittedly I’ve not sustained. I doubt at 43 my flab is going to go away anytime soon. Core and ab workouts don’t do it either. Further admit to actively wondering about a tummy tuck. Who knows.

I’ll post what I did to lose 65lbs in 10 months and keep it off for the last 4 or 5. It’s opposite of most everyone here because I don’t want to give up carbs or fast. It’s basically the DASH diet (low sodium). That pretty much limits the processed foods you can eat but let’s me eat plenty of carbs, meat, fruit and drink plenty of beer. I avoid dairy. I started at 250 and now I’m maintaining between 182-185. It also allows for a splurge when I want one. 
I do pretty much the same workout I’ve always done. 3 days a week I do weights and elliptical. The other 4 I do an hour on the elliptical just to get my steps in. I’ve lost maybe 10lbs off my bench. 

Why do you avoid dairy?

8 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Most likely you are not in Ketosis while on "keto". Many people go on no carb but do not change the other part of their diet. Eating lots of fats, moderate protein and staying under 30 grams of carbs. Going only to super low carb and especially no carb will not get you into the state of ketosis. Your body using stored fat for energy. This can also take weeks to truly acheive. Thats why in my opinion keto is very hard to stay true to. Lots of people do keto diet and lose weight because they cut the carbs but then they plateau. They never fully reach the next level of ketosis.

While fasting, you are obviously eating no carbs and no fat. You have to survive, so you burn stored energy. Glycogen stores, then body fat. Ketones start to show. You're in ketosis.

Eating high fat is not necessary unless you are already a lean person. Nobody on this thread is that lean. We're trying to lose weight.

Just removing carbs will get your body to switch to ketosis. It has to in order to survive.

I fasted 72 hrs, ate a very low carb/high fat meal, and have now fasted another 44 hrs. My blood ketones remain around 0.3.

4 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Athletic performance in Ketosis is a topic that's gone mainstream in recent years.  I'm particularly interested in running a marathon in ketosis, mainly because I've been reading David Goggins book Can't Hurt Me which is the self-help book du jour on Amazon.  He's not keto, just a Navy Seal that used to be a fat body and is now an ultra endurance athlete.  If someone like me can run a marathon then holy shit.  I'm about to call my shot, if I can get mentally committed to it.  My son is on the real Army (he's actually got an Army contract) Marathon team for the TAMU Corps and he does about 4 or 5 a year now and fundamentally we've got the same body types and I think it's something on which we can bond.

This article was interesting and informative - https://nypost.com/2018/03/19/heres-how-to-crush-a-race-by-running-on-a-keto-diet/

But ERRestaurants is spot on, and in my experience I wasn't truly body and brain keto adapted for athletics for a long time - in fact I did not have a workout regime my first 6 months in keto.  You have to replace the carbs with a shitload of fat, too.

The problem with FAT is that it's called FAT.  It should be called "ENERGY".

Tebow claims to have been keto for the last 7 years.

1 hour ago, Longhorn Al said:

While fasting, you are obviously eating no carbs and no fat. You have to survive, so you burn stored energy. Glycogen stores, then body fat. Ketones start to show. You're in ketosis.

Eating high fat is not necessary unless you are already a lean person. Nobody on this thread is that lean. We're trying to lose weight.

Just removing carbs will get your body to switch to ketosis. It has to in order to survive.

I fasted 72 hrs, ate a very low carb/high fat meal, and have now fasted another 44 hrs. My blood ketones remain around 0.3.

are you saying you are in Ketosis at .3? I'm not sure i agree with everything you are saying but if you are losing weight and most importantly are going to keep it off- that is what's important and I'm cheering for you as a fellow surly member---truly. 

most likely you have a very high body fat% and are losing lots of water weight. 

Edited by Errestaurants

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

2019 Fad Diet talk not going away.

Beware of zealots.

Finally got south of 170 after maintaining for the past year, via the stop eating so fucking much and move around a little more diet.  

Shooting for 160 and 32” waist by summer.  Actual waist not men’s vanity pant size.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Not really sure what you mean by this? I go low carb. Keto, less than 20 carbs/day which I track. I've been in ketosis the whole time as I also track my blood glucose and blood ketones, and use the Glucose Ketone Index. The key to me is minimal carbs, very rarely hit my fat macros, but still in ketosis. 

Edited by Lobwedgephil
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Not really sure what you mean by this? I go low carb. Keto, less than 20 carbs/day which I track. I've been in ketosis the whole time as I also track my blood glucose and blood ketones, and use the Glucose Ketone Index. The key to me is minimal carbs, very rarely hit my fat macros, but still in ketosis. 

sounds right to me. you are under your carbs--depends on weight---and you are taking in fats---maybe not everyday but over a period of time good enough for your phenotype. I'm not understanding where you and I are are astray?  listen as long as you are truly testing your ketones through blood and are say above 1.5----great job how ever you get there. Stay on this thread and give us some inspiration. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

sounds right to me. you are under your carbs--depends on weight---and you are taking in fats---maybe not everyday but over a period of time good enough for your phenotype. I'm not understanding where you and I are are astray?  listen as long as you are truly testing your ketones through blood and are say above 1.5----great job how ever you get there. Stay on this thread and give us some inspiration. 

Gotcha, just thought you were saying most people doing Keto aren't in ketosis. Maybe that's right, I don't know. Ketosis is fairly easy to get into, stay in, for me. Unless my blood tests are wrong. 

2 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

are you saying you are in Ketosis at .3? I'm not sure i agree with everything you are saying but if you are losing weight and most importantly are going to keep it off- that is what's important and I'm cheering for you as a fellow surly member---truly. 

most likely you have a very high body fat% and are losing lots of water weight. 

A high body fat is the point. If I'm not eating, and my body has burned through glycogen stores, then my body must burn fat stores. The fat is converted to ketones in the liver. Thus, I'm in ketosis. High levels of dietary fat are not needed for someone with high body fat.

I tested again today. 

Ketones 0.9

Glucose 79 (lowest I can ever remember)

GKI is 4.8 which is moderate ketosis.

I've lost 13 lbs since Jan 1.

• Like 3

It could also be that being strict keto for ~10 months last year has me fat-adapted. My body produces enough ketones to run itself, and my body is good at using them. There aren't many superfluous ones floating around.

Another factor could be testing only about an hour after waking up. Ketone levels are usually lower in the morning. Today I waited about 4 hours before testing and it was higher.

38 minutes ago, Longhorn Al said:

It could also be that being strict keto for ~10 months last year has me fat-adapted. My body produces enough ketones to run itself, and my body is good at using them. There aren't many superfluous ones floating around.

Another factor could be testing only about an hour after waking up. Ketone levels are usually lower in the morning. Today I waited about 4 hours before testing and it was higher.

Yeah, when you're fat adapted your ketones will be lower and glucose higher in the morning. I usually register .7-.9 ketones and 90-100 glucose in the morning, by 2pm I am usually 1.5-2 ketones and 70-85 glucose. Everyone is different, but those are how my numbers look. 

• Like 2

What’s the discussion here on gut biome and all the budding research saying our digestive bacteria is a major aspect to weight and even mental health?

I’ve started noticing what I eat and looking at its health components for digestive system but I’m only 25% committed so far (eggs, alcohol and red meat are too good to cut out).

A lot of the worst foods you’d cut out on keto too - sugar, gluten, processed carbs, but red meat and eggs aren’t good supposedly. Alcohol isn’t good either. Filtered water (no chlorine or trace pharma). And a lot of the good foods are keto friendly - fermented veggies, probiotics in various ways, and fiber too (from greens).