2019 Body Transformation Thread

After having 10" or so removed from my colon last year I've been a bit concerned about lower GI health and diet. Keep me posted on how you shit on Keto. 

The best part about a big post work out bowl of Cheerios is the full and easy shit the day after.

So I have been lurking on this thread for quite some time and want to thank everyone for the motivation it has given me over the last few months.  Was living a really unhealthy lifestyle - no exercise, eating and drinking way too much.  Back in the fall I got motivated and started running again.  Over the last 10 years, I would try to exercise, but it never really lasted for one reason or another (mostly just due to laziness).  So far it has stuck (4 months now).  At the same time, I pretty much cut out out the booze (was drinking about a bottle of wine every night) and started watching what I eat (I work at home so just cutting out the snacking during the day has helped tremendously).  So fast forward 4 months, I'm down 35 pounds to 200 and would like to lose another 15-20 pounds.  Went to the doctor for standard lab tests and the results were already a ton better than the last time I went in.

Anyways, running has always been my preferred choice of exercise.  I've started a runners thread on the Hobbies board.

Anyone else out there running to lose weight or get/stay in shape I'd love to hear from you over there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:
11 hours ago, El Diablo said:
After having 10" or so removed from my colon last year I've been a bit concerned about lower GI health and diet. Keep me posted on how you shit on Keto. 

Anybody else get a bit more constipated/harder shits than before?

Personally, hell no.  Most Keto folks get the runs.

I lost another 4 pounds on Sunday.  That's 17 in 2019.  I broke my 2nd fast of the year at 60 hours and had 1 pound of fatty brisket, 1 sausage link, some cheddar, pickles, and slaw.  This was at Terry Black's.  I did cheat a tiny bit with some of the regular and spicy sauces.  But I didn't use too much.

I'll probably gain a bit on Monday's weigh-in.  That meat was extra salty, and I ate a good bit.  I'd be surprised if I lost any.

I waited about 10 hours after eating to check my blood levels.  Ketones at 0.8 and glucose back up to my typical range of 99.

Edited by Longhorn Al

7 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

I lost another 4 pounds on Sunday.  That's 17 in 2019.  I broke my 2nd fast of the year at 60 hours and had 1 pound of fatty brisket, 1 sausage link, some cheddar, pickles, and slaw.  This was at Terry Black's.  I did cheat a tiny bit with some of the regular and spicy sauces.  But I didn't use too much.

I'll probably gain a bit on Monday's weigh-in.  That meat was extra salty, and I ate a good bit.  I'd be surprised if I lost any.

I waited about 10 hours after eating to check my blood levels.  Ketones at 0.8 and glucose back up to my typical range of 99.

17 pounds in one week? That is impressive. 

• Like 1

Made it through first weekend completely sober in ages. Getting home after work Friday and breaking the routine was the hardest part. Usually would either go out for an early dinner with friends and have a bunch of drinks or stop at the grocery store and grab a few six packs along with something to cook.  Felt like I was back in HS and grounded.

Wasn't as strict on diet as during the week, but stayed relatively on track. Pretty nice to wake up on a Monday and not be 4+ lbs heavier than I was on Friday morning and have to spend the next 4 days losing it all back over again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DCA_HORN said:
20 hours ago, El Diablo said:

It is much easier to become dehydrated while on a ketogenic diet since you don't retain as much water. I have personally also experienced this as well, so make sure you are drinking your water! Prior to starting on keto I had significant gastro issues with chronic IBS. Stomach issues have significantly recessed after changing my diet. I used to think it was due to lactose but I am eating tons of cheese these days and don't notice a problem.

Today was my first weigh-in since September...

January 2018 - 324 lbs
August 2018 - 232 lbs
Today - 279 lbs
Fuck.

Glass Half Empty - scale is up 47 pounds.
Glass Half Full - I'm starting 2019 45 pounds lighter than 2018. 

New fast start today.

Bernard

Edited by Bernard
  • Like 2

Tipped the scales at 230.2 this morning. 3 random pounds doesn't mean much but I'm telling myself that it's the trend that counts. I have been stuck at the 233-235 morning weigh in for several months now. This last year I think I dipped below 230 one time. Hopefully this is the start of something good. My "coach" told me it would take about 6 weeks to start seeing any results and I started hitting the gym just a hair over 6 weeks ago so hopefully she's right.

Keep it up folks, it's going to be a good year.

• Like 4

Tipped the scales at 230.2 this morning. 3 random pounds doesn't mean much but I'm telling myself that it's the trend that counts. I have been stuck at the 233-235 morning weigh in for several months now. This last year I think I dipped below 230 one time. Hopefully this is the start of something good. My "coach" told me it would take about 6 weeks to start seeing any results and I started hitting the gym just a hair over 6 weeks ago so hopefully she's right.
Keep it up folks, it's going to be a good year.
If you're lifting weights for the 1st time in forever, you may not lose weight. You'll just trade fat for muscle.

1 hour ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I'm fucking hungry!!!!

For breakfast today I drank a thermos-full of iced coffee with some half and half. Lunch was a 50 calorie bottle of juiced vegetables.

I finally ate an Atkins bar as a snack around 4:00. I think I'm more hungry in the afternoon on days where I eat a real lunch than I was today.

I always love this thread. Not much to add, but I will say, fuck the scale. Look in the mirror. If you are starting to exercise the scale will lie to you. If you are just dieting, fuck that thing and being beholden to it's measured ways. 

Get on it once a month, or twice to see if what you are doing is having the intended effect I suppose, but seriously, the mirror will tell you more. 

None of us gained 20 pounds in a weekend of bad eating (well, except maybe steel shank and brisket) and none of us will lose it in a weekend. Make healthier choices and you will be healthier and look better. I see too many people get frustrated that the scale isn't moving every day so they abandon what they are doing. Dont do that. Keep it up. Look in the mirror. Check the scale in March or some shit. 

Edited by pops
  • Like 2

Weighed myself this morning out of curiosity. Down about 10 pounds in a month. Which is pretty good since I’ve only been paying closer attention to what I eat and started exercising for about a week. I can definitely feel it as well so there’s progress at least.

Obviously, I don’t expect to drop 10 pounds every month but as long as I continue to feel better, I’ll be happy.

• Like 3

For breakfast today I drank a thermos-full of iced coffee with some half and half. Lunch was a 50 calorie bottle of juiced vegetables.
I finally ate an Atkins bar as a snack around 4:00. I think I'm more hungry in the afternoon on days where I eat a real lunch than I was today.

I freaking love the Atkins bars and shakes. They are two of my go to sources when I need sustenance and water doesn’t work. The strawberry shake is soooo good and the baby Ruth style bar? It has to be fake.

NBC News just had a short story bashing Keto with Jillian Michaels. Everything was the typical misinformation.

"You need fiber!" Nope. That's a myth.

"Without one of the food groups, you're starving your cells!" Nope. Our bodies make glycogen when it requires it.

"High fiber/whole grain diets lower risk of diabetes and heart disease!" This claim has been addressed by many doctors and scientists that promote Keto.

On 1/6/2019 at 11:29 PM, DCA_HORN said:
On 1/6/2019 at 12:28 PM, El Diablo said:

Happened to me bad last year.  Took laxatives and miralax and still was plugged.  Body got used to the diet and straightened out.  I also realized I didn't need to shit as much when I didn't eat as much.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Happened to me bad last year.  Took laxatives and miralax and still was plugged.  Body got used to the diet and straightened out.  I also realized I didn't need to shit as much when I didn't eat as much.

Yeah, I'm not right in the morning until I've had that first half a pot of coffee. I've tried other enemas but...

12 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

NBC News just had a short story bashing Keto with Jillian Michaels. Everything was the typical misinformation.

"Without one of the food groups, you're starving your cells!" Nope. Our bodies make glycogen when it requires it.

"High fiber/whole grain diets lower risk of diabetes and heart disease!" This claim has been addressed by many doctors and scientists that promote Keto.

Fake news!

No CR.

I just weighed in at 213.2 this morning. Considering I started this in April 2018 at 316.6, I’m holding strong where I was a few weeks ago.

Regarding shits - quality and quantity went down for me. I did add more fiber in to my diet around 280 lbs or so and the weight loss continued obviously. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

I don’t know who the fuck Jillian Michaels, but she doesn’t seem to have any sort of scientific background.  That being said, the WHO has published a extensive long term study in The Lancet this week about the health benefits of dietary fiber.  To suggest that fiber is somehow bad for you or that it shouldn’t be included in a healthy diet seems to lack any basis in peer reviewed science.

OK.  Jumping on this bandwagon tomorrow.  I'm currently 6' 214.4 lbs.  I want to get into the 190's for soccer season.  I'm lucky because I don't eat sweets nor do I crave them.  I'm unlucky because I have a hard time sticking to any 1 type of food for more than 2 weeks.  I could get a 2 week supply of t-bone steaks and, by day 15, have a hard time getting one bite down.

I'm doing the keto thing.  Not sure I can do fasting because, as a teacher, I'd have a hard time being effective if I felt "off" or tired.  Yes, I know I'll have some issues with this and keto but I feel as if the ability to eat something will at least trick my mind/body into getting through it.

Last thing.  Props to those of y'all (above) that have gone hard core and lost a lot of weight.  I'm impressed.

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

OK.  Jumping on this bandwagon tomorrow.  I'm currently 6' 214.4 lbs.  I want to get into the 190's for soccer season.  I'm lucky because I don't eat sweets nor do I crave them.  I'm unlucky because I have a hard time sticking to any 1 type of food for more than 2 weeks.  I could get a 2 week supply of t-bone steaks and, by day 15, have a hard time getting one bite down.

I'm doing the keto thing.  Not sure I can do fasting because, as a teacher, I'd have a hard time being effective if I felt "off" or tired.  Yes, I know I'll have some issues with this and keto but I feel as if the ability to eat something will at least trick my mind/body into getting through it.

Last thing.  Props to those of y'all (above) that have gone hard core and lost a lot of weight.  I'm impressed.

Why would you have to only eat one type of food? 

36 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Why would you have to only eat one type of food? 

As it pertains to low carb, there are very few things I like to eat in mass.  I hate salads, not a fan of eggs or cheeze for the most part, don't like the cauliflower substitutes for rice, bread, etc...  When I tried the low carb thing over the summer, I got tired of tired of being limited rather quickly.  This time, I am going to plan better and actually cook real meals.  

Short answer: I love carbs and don't like to cook meals.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Not sure I can do fasting because, as a teacher, I'd have a hard time being effective if I felt "off" or tired. 

I'm not recommending fasting to anyone, but interestingly my energy levels way up when I'm fasting. Apparently, fasting increases adrenaline levels. Seems like mother nature's solution to help you find/hunt/gather your next meal. 

Bernard 

• Like 1

Got 4 gym visits in this week, so that’s good enough for me. Gym visits really make my day, im always pissed when work makes me miss one. Also lost 5 pounds over the holidays I think due to travel and just not snacking as much. I was surprised  

Im not trying to loose drastic weight, but do try to increase strength and mass via resistance training. I do a daily 12 hr fast (not counting morning coffee) and I seem to feel pretty good most days. Very tried for a full day fast  

Good luck to all of you on your quests to your best you. 

• Like 1

I’m in. They do a weight loss challenge at work. I sand bagged some at the end of the year and could tell it. Weighed 266.8 to start on Monday. It’s a 3 month thing and I plan to take people’s money.

Need to get right to hang out with the kids.

I started eating better and less. Cut out sweet tea. Started on light calisthenics to try to keep the soreness down. Fixing to add walking a couple of miles outside of work to it.

I feel like I can safely and fairly easily lose 30lbs by April. Maybe it’s wishful thinking but it’s the goal.

I’m down 5 lbs in the first 10 days. I want to lose another 20-25lbs.

On past diets I’ve tracked my meals in detail with MyFitnessPal. This time I’m trying to cut a couple bad things and take time to appreciate smart choices, even if it’s a small thing. I have a spreadsheet on my phone where I note if I had alcohol, sweets and worked out each day. It’s a lot easier to manage and seeing a bunch of days in a row without sweets or booze gets me to say no just to keep the streak alive.

I’m not tracking it, but I’ve been good about avoiding bread which has probably made the most difference. I even ordered burgers and sandwiches wrapped in lettuce a couple times. Surprisingly not terrible but that isn’t a long term lifestyle change I can make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 successful workouts this week and plan on a quick 20 mile bike ride tomorrow to finish out the week. I won’t be quitting the exercise this year. I have a 6 week plan written up. I plan on adding a new week after I complete a week so I can keep the momentum going.

Ok never posted in this thread so I'm sure this post will be a dumb one.  I want to get in better shape for my golf swing and just in general.  I'll be 50 in April this year, not wanting to bulk up but just maybe get more flexible.   I see a chiropractor and massage therapist regularly.  Everything near me (Cypress, Tx) area seems to be cross fit but none that works on my schedule since my work changes week to week.  

If i go into work at 11, i dont want to do a 6am class.  And with days starting to get longer especially after time change in March there'll be nights i dont leave work until 930 or 10pm.

Help?

1 hour ago, ImGolfn said:

Ok never posted in this thread so I'm sure this post will be a dumb one.  I want to get in better shape for my golf swing and just in general.  I'll be 50 in April this year, not wanting to bulk up but just maybe get more flexible.   I see a chiropractor and massage therapist regularly.  Everything near me (Cypress, Tx) area seems to be cross fit but none that works on my schedule since my work changes week to week.  

If i go into work at 11, i dont want to do a 6am class.  And with days starting to get longer especially after time change in March there'll be nights i dont leave work until 930 or 10pm.

Help?

What about getting a personal trainer once a week? They'll give you workouts to do on your own the rest of the work and will personalize them to fit your goals.

Help?

Yoga
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 5:15 PM, SimonBolivar said:

Had oysters again today for lunch. Hey, gotta get my fill while they're in season. 12 for 100ish calories.

I'm guessing you're not just doing the crown prince cans like me if you're talking about in season. You have a good source?