2019 Body Transformation Thread

43 minutes ago, D_Goose said:

I'm guessing you're not just doing the crown prince cans like me if you're talking about in season. You have a good source?

Nah I usually just get some Gulf ones at a local cajun restaurant (Waco). In Austin I usually hit up Deckhand (North) for my summertime oysters that's arent overpriced. I dont normally buy my own, but if I continue eating them three times a week I'll have to find some options.

Ok never posted in this thread so I'm sure this post will be a dumb one.  I want to get in better shape for my golf swing and just in general.  I'll be 50 in April this year, not wanting to bulk up but just maybe get more flexible.   I see a chiropractor and massage therapist regularly.  Everything near me (Cypress, Tx) area seems to be cross fit but none that works on my schedule since my work changes week to week.  
If i go into work at 11, i dont want to do a 6am class.  And with days starting to get longer especially after time change in March there'll be nights i dont leave work until 930 or 10pm.
Help?

Lifetime, Villa Sports, LA Fitness, etc. all have a variety of classes (and yoga is a good suggestion if you want to improve flexibility) that meet throughout the day, and would be able to accommodate your changing schedule.

If you don’t want to sign a contract at a gym, there are also yoga places (new one in Town Lake for instance) that will let you pay by the session.

Lifetime, Villa Sports, LA Fitness, etc. all have a variety of classes (and yoga is a good suggestion if you want to improve flexibility) that meet throughout the day, and would be able to accommodate your changing schedule.

If you don’t want to sign a contract at a gym, there are also yoga places (new one in Town Lake for instance) that will let you pay by the session.

You can also find a bunch of yoga videos for free on YouTube.

On 1/12/2019 at 8:10 PM, drewlaws said:

I have a spreadsheet on my phone where I note if I had alcohol, sweets and worked out each day. It’s a lot easier to manage and seeing a bunch of days in a row without sweets or booze gets me to say no just to keep the streak alive. 

I like this. Might steal it. Especially for not drinking.

• Like 1

Ok never posted in this thread so I'm sure this post will be a dumb one.  I want to get in better shape for my golf swing and just in general.  I'll be 50 in April this year, not wanting to bulk up but just maybe get more flexible.   I see a chiropractor and massage therapist regularly.  Everything near me (Cypress, Tx) area seems to be cross fit but none that works on my schedule since my work changes week to week.  
If i go into work at 11, i dont want to do a 6am class.  And with days starting to get longer especially after time change in March there'll be nights i dont leave work until 930 or 10pm.
Help?

Look into a Pilates studio as well. Good luck

I thought it took at least 3 days to get into keto?

I ate a couple of hot dogs at 7AM yesterday and have not have a carb (on purpose) since then.  (I accidentally put onions and tomatoes in a batch of chili I made and ate.)  

Anyway, keto strips arrived this afternoon and I tested at "moderate".  (I believe the number given was 1.5.)  Not upset about it; just thought it'd be a harder process to get into.  As I lay in bed and write this, I am actually beginning to feel a bit "weird" or off.  Other than that, I've felt pretty good.  I haven't had any cravings or hunger spells.  I've been drinking a lot of water along with pickle juice which I've always craved when coming off a long soccer game or cycling event.  

Couple of quick questions.

1)  Cheat night.  I know many on low carb diets have a cheat night or meal.  Is this a no-go for keto?  I'm assuming eating a "normal" meal would be a big negative in that one would knock one back into a non-keto state.

2)  What's the process for working out in a couple of sports (soccer, cycling) that are all about carb loading?  I don't want to "bonk" in the middle.  Do I eat some carbs assuming I'll burn them off or do I just try to adapt to doing each w/o the carbs?

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I thought it took at least 3 days to get into keto?

I ate a couple of hot dogs at 7AM yesterday and have not have a carb (on purpose) since then.  (I accidentally put onions and tomatoes in a batch of chili I made and ate.)  

Anyway, keto strips arrived this afternoon and I tested at "moderate".  (I believe the number given was 1.5.)  Not upset about it; just thought it'd be a harder process to get into.  As I lay in bed and write this, I am actually beginning to feel a bit "weird" or off.  Other than that, I've felt pretty good.  I haven't had any cravings or hunger spells.  I've been drinking a lot of water along with pickle juice which I've always craved when coming off a long soccer game or cycling event.  

Couple of quick questions.

1)  Cheat night.  I know many on low carb diets have a cheat night or meal.  Is this a no-go for keto?  I'm assuming eating a "normal" meal would be a big negative in that one would knock one back into a non-keto state.

2)  What's the process for working out in a couple of sports (soccer, cycling) that are all about carb loading?  I don't want to "bonk" in the middle.  Do I eat some carbs assuming I'll burn them off or do I just try to adapt to doing each w/o the carbs?

I don't really have these answers, but I can answer from my experience, but everyone seems to be different on the diet. I will say that if you just just started, it is highly unlikely you are already in ketosis, especially a 4.0, that is very high level. Have also found pee strips worthless to me, I blood test. But, the length it takes to get into ketosis varies for everyone. Took me about 4 days when I started initially. As for feeling off, you may be starting to get the Keto flu, keep hydrated, drink like double your water now, and keep electrolytes up. I drink Powerade zero to do that, but lots of ways that work. 

1) Cheat meals you are just going to have to see what works for you, if you do it, do a cheat meal and don't let that extend into cheat day, next day, etc. Some people have on and are fine, some have one and it sets you back. The longer you are into Keto and more fat adapted you are, the easier it is to get back into ketosis. Just depends on you.

2) I don't carb load, but some do, so I can't really help there. I play tennis and ride the bike, have no issues with this on Keto and energy levels are actually much better, but I've also lost a ton of weight so that probably helps as well. 

Helped all I can, and can answer anymore from my perspective, just figure out what works for you though. Good luck, Keto works, at least for me so far. 

• Like 1

Thanks.  I'll test again when I get home.

I'm currently on about 50 hours w/ prob under 20 total carbs.  I keep waiting for the suffering part but, thus far, I feel great.  I did have insomnia last night.  Since waking I've had a ton of energy.  Waiting for a crash or craving to hit.

I'm down 4.6 lbs already.  Yes, I know it's all water but still pretty cool.

8 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Have you been bitten by any rabid animals?

Is this sexual?

Also - you mfers are crazy with this keto shit. I've heard of low-carb but Ketosis doesn't sound like fun. Did some of you turn to it after nothing else working, or is it just kind of a fad that a lot of you are trying?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

I am probably 3 days into Keto right now and do not feel great. Today woke up with the back of my neck and head hurting. Like a headache and my neck sore. Is this the start of that shitty keto flu?

Just drink a ton of water and keep your electrolytes up, it passes quickly when you do that. 

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Is this sexual?

Also - you mfers are crazy with this keto shit. I've heard of low-carb but Ketosis doesn't sound like fun. Did some of you turn to it after nothing else working, or is it just kind of a fad that a lot of you are trying?

I mean, it is a diet that has been around for 100 years, just very popular now as it is a proven way to lose weight fast. I never really tried a diet before, so can't speak to trying other diets and what is more effective. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ImGolfn said:

Help?

In Austin so no advice here on that.  But, I suggest rather than honing in on flexibility, look at mobility exercises which expand your range of motion through your joints. A lot of injuries at our age especially, occur with increased muscular flexibility without the accompanying joint mobility.  I will warn you.  They suck, but it will be well worth your time to look into it.  

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Is this sexual?

For me, it's a matter of preference + I only need to lose 20 lbs max, so it won't be a long term lifestyle change.

I actually don't mind feeling like crap if I can eat.  60 hours in and I've yet to feel any neg effects other than some insomnia last night.

Plan is to get below 200 then make slight lifestyle changes in diet and exercise, to stay under.

To piggyback, I don't understand how some of y'all can fast...

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

16 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

For me, it's a matter of preference + I only need to lose 20 lbs max, so it won't be a long term lifestyle change.

I actually don't mind feeling like crap if I can eat.  60 hours in and I've yet to feel any neg effects other than some insomnia last night.

Plan is to get below 200 then make slight lifestyle changes in diet and exercise, to stay under.

This was basically my thinking with Keto first time around.  I dropped 35 pounds over 5-6 months and then started reintroducing some carbs into the diet.  The problem was that I had grown accustomed to eating a lot of high fat food, and when you add carbs back it is a recipe for fast weight gain.  I gained everything back over the course of a year.  Now in round 2 of keto and this time will do a lot more thinking about my exist plan and what a post-keto diet should look like.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

To piggyback, I don't understand how some of y'all can fast...

I've never done more than a 24 hr fast but I do intermittent fasting all the damn time (16-18 hours). I almost always go 6 or so hours after waking up before eating (during the week).

Decent way to stay skinny. 2 meals a day and no snacking. I eat whatever I want but I'm also kind of automatically concious of a lot of things (extra carbs, sugar, sodium). 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I've never done more than a 24 hr fast but I do intermittent fasting all the damn time (16-18 hours). I almost always go 6 or so hours after waking up before eating (during the week).

Decent way to stay skinny. 2 meals a day and no snacking. I eat whatever I want but I'm also kind of automatically concious of a lot of things (extra carbs, sugar, sodium). 

I do 24HR fast 4-5 days/week.  Totally used to it now.

I am looking to do 24HR dry fast and then longer water fast to start getting into the real health benefits of fasting.  There are also some fast mimicking plans (usually 5 days) that work pretty well.

Fasting is an amazing topic when you look at the benefits of longer fasts like 5, 10, 15, 20 days or longer.  The real benefits are not measured in lbs.  

I like to eat. I like some carbs. I won’t maintain a Keto or fasting lifestyle. I’m learning how to eat almost all non processed food. I will have some rice or small serving of pasta. We had Spinach and orzo salad last night. Damn it was good and it was mostly spinach.

I’ve lost all the weight I added over the holidays.

• Like 2

Down almost 5 lbs.  Went up another gradient on the keto strip.  Still not feeling bad at all.  Matter of fact, I was hyper as hell on the way to work this morning and that never happens.  I kept waiting for some sort of crash or fatigue, but I never got one.  Other than a small amount of tomatoes/onions in the chili I made Sunday and whatever amount was in a serving of rice cauliflower I had tonight, I have not had a carb.  I'll let y'all know when I inevitably turn into a slobby mess when this keto flu thing kicks in or I eat a piece of carboard because I'm craving bread so much.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

I am probably 3 days into Keto right now and do not feel great. Today woke up with the back of my neck and head hurting. Like a headache and my neck sore. Is this the start of that shitty keto flu?

Kick back some salt and potassium.  Keto Flu is bullshit.  It's just low electrolytes resulting from your body releasing all that water with the glycogen.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

Is this sexual?

Keto is the easiest diet.  I don't think it's crazy at all.

21 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I don't understand how some of y'all can fast...

I would have said the exact same thing before I tried it. 

Started fasting on Monday, January 7th. All I've eaten since then is two packages of beef jerky on Friday night. Feeling great. Down 16 pounds. Not all fat obviously. 

Bernard

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bernard said:

I would have said the exact same thing before I tried it. 

Started fasting on Monday, January 7th. All I've eaten since then is two packages of beef jerky on Friday night. Feeling great. Down 16 pounds. Not all fat obviously. 

Bernard

Nice.  From what I understand of fasting, there is a multiplier effect the longer you go, where different mechanisms kick in.  So by "breaking" your fast with the beef jerky, I imagine you set back some of those mechanisms which would be kicking in by now-not all the way back to 0 but somewhere in between.  Not necessarily for fat loss, but I think the real heavy stem cell production and autophagy really kick in about day 8 or 9.  Still, props to you.  I hope to work up to a 10 day this year.

Didn't feel 100% today.  Could just be because I haven't slept right in 4 nights.  I don't feel ill or anything.  Just a tad fatigued and moody.  Up a pound as well.  WTF is that?

I did find something I really, really like to eat though.

The cauliflower substitute for mashed potatoes + fajita steak + cheddar cheese.  I honestly would have eaten this no questions asked if I didn't know it was part of a low-carb meal. 

One glass of wine has given me quite the headache.

Nice.  From what I understand of fasting, there is a multiplier effect the longer you go, where different mechanisms kick in.  So by "breaking" your fast with the beef jerky, I imagine you set back some of those mechanisms which would be kicking in by now-not all the way back to 0 but somewhere in between.  Not necessarily for fat loss, but I think the real heavy stem cell production and autophagy really kick in about day 8 or 9.  Still, props to you.  I hope to work up to a 10 day this year.

You’d have to check me into the nut house 12 Monkey style if I made it past 48 hours.

11 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Everyone and their mother is out there making wild claims about autophagy right now. Not sure I buy all the hype. I’ve listened to a number of presentations given by the guy who revently won the Nobel Prize for his work on autophagy. He’s certainly not making grandios claims. If you have any data to share, I’m all ears. 

Bernard

9 hours ago, Bernard said:

Everyone and their mother is out there making wild claims about autophagy right now. Not sure I buy all the hype. I’ve listened to a number of presentations given by the guy who revently won the Nobel Prize for his work on autophagy. He’s certainly not making grandios claims. If you have any data to share, I’m all ears. 

Bernard

No scientific data(that I have reviewed), per se, but there is a connecting of the dots and some fairly consistent info on durations by some credible practitioners. From what I have seen, they mention increased autophagy and stem cell production as time on the fast increases.  However, there is no mention of the actual quantifiable amounts of production or whether or not they are significant wrt to usual amounts-that I have seen. But there are many fantastic claims out there that kind of turn out to be not as fantastic when you realize how much work goes into a longer fast.

I would not expect a Nobel prize winning scientist to make any wild claims on their research.  rather, they would let the data speak for itself, which they have and the research was pretty ground breaking and new (2015 I believe).  In fact i saw an interview with a researcher that was working on funding for an easy  test to measure autophagy on large numbers of fasting test subjects-but he is a long way off.

As for me, I am still in the weight loss stage of concern wrt fasting.  I envision successful weight loss (~15lbs) greatly improving my joint health in my chosen fields of recreation (body weight exercise, rock climbing, running).  As I get further along, I will do more internet sleuthing on the long term health benefits-so far it looks promising.

I am in on this.  moved to a small alaska village in August- teacher.   Past couple of years I was stress-eating.  Sometimes would eat two entrees.  260ish.  was eating  lot of canned foods here in Alaska, but paid for it.  too much sodium, I think.  I had a kidney stone in September, this time throwing up quite a bit.  "never again" I said to myself, and I ended up losing close to 40 pounds.  Went back to Texas over the holidays, surprised me, I did not have a hankering for fast food.  I ate fast food twice in two weeks, came back  having gained one pound over the holidays.  yea! 

For me it has been, NO fast food, don't add salt to anything, and just barely add sugar to anything.  Weighed 224 this morning.  My low in November was 222.  Goal is 199.  Still need more fiber in diet.  Need to get back to doing planks, etc.  Need core strength.  Will order fiber from Amazon or Target.  No grocery shopping to do up here.  My wife and I brought back three large totes + cooler of groceries. - half dry and half frozen. 

On 1/15/2019 at 8:49 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Down almost 5 lbs.  Went up another gradient on the keto strip.  Still not feeling bad at all.  Matter of fact, I was hyper as hell on the way to work this morning and that never happens.  I kept waiting for some sort of crash or fatigue, but I never got one.  Other than a small amount of tomatoes/onions in the chili I made Sunday and whatever amount was in a serving of rice cauliflower I had tonight, I have not had a carb.  I'll let y'all know when I inevitably turn into a slobby mess when this keto flu thing kicks in or I eat a piece of carboard because I'm craving bread so much.

My understanding of the keto flu, having gone through it once, is that it's a carb-withdrawal thing, and it happens before the ketosis kicks in. That is, you're not in ketosis yet, and you're not getting any energy from carbs, so you crash. If you're in ketosis, you should feel fine. Maybe you just got into ketosis fast, without any problems and skipped the flu - so congrats.

Or I could be wrong about the whole thing. Some of y'all have obviously had a lot more experience with it than I have; am I full of shit? I do consume a lot of fiber.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 4:46 PM, Goofyboy said:

I like to eat. I like some carbs. I won’t maintain a Keto or fasting lifestyle. I’m learning how to eat almost all non processed food. I will have some rice or small serving of pasta. We had Spinach and orzo salad last night. Damn it was good and it was mostly spinach.

I’ve lost all the weight I added over the holidays.

This is kinda where I am. Trying to eat lean-ish cuts of meat with raw or maybe baked fruits and vegetables. Nothing processed, nothing fried. This week I broung a snack of 4 ounces of grilled flank steak and a cup of either raw fruit or vegetables to eat. Trying to keep my protein at about 50% of my calories.

4 hours ago, Bat Guano said:

My understanding of the keto flu, having gone through it once, is that it's a carb-withdrawal thing, and it happens before the ketosis kicks in. That is, you're not in ketosis yet, and you're not getting any energy from carbs, so you crash. If you're in ketosis, you should feel fine. Maybe you just got into ketosis fast, without any problems and skipped the flu - so congrats.

Or I could be wrong about the whole thing. Some of y'all have obviously had a lot more experience with it than I have; am I full of shit? I do consume a lot of fiber.

I guess I could be one of the lucky ones.  I've completely stuck to the no-to-low-carb thing thus far without any problems - except for the insomnia.  Sunday morning was my last real carb meal.  I've eaten nothing but beef jerky, fajita meat, chili, cheese, celery, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, and those instant egg/sausage cups.  Oddly, when I got home yesterday, the keto strip tested almost nothing.  In testing it again tonight, it's further to the right than it was 3 days ago.  

Another odd thing is that I'm not really craving any foods.  Sure, if I could get away with it, I'd eat a Whataburger or pizza, but I honestly don't even think about or consider it.  I figured I'd have much worse cravings than I do.  I am getting a tad tired of the aforementioned foods; however, I should be good just adding variety without breaking the deal.

One last thing.  I did a pretty strenuous bike ride this afternoon.  For the first 5 miles, I was really suffering.  After that, I felt fine other than I was far more thirsty than normal.  I was only out for an hour, but I didn't feel any real fatigue.

Stick with it! Getting past carb cravings is huge. Mentioned above but if you do get a hankering for pizza try the almond flour crust ... with wheat flour crusts in your distant rear view the almond flour will be quite satisfying. Also grab a lettuce burger from your fav burger joint and make it a double double to reward yourself. Those are my two guilty pleasures when I’ve gone no carb.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I guess I could be one of the lucky ones.  I've completely stuck to the no-to-low-carb thing thus far without any problems - except for the insomnia.  Sunday morning was my last real carb meal.  I've eaten nothing but beef jerky, fajita meat, chili, cheese, celery, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, and those instant egg/sausage cups.  Oddly, when I got home yesterday, the keto strip tested almost nothing.  In testing it again tonight, it's further to the right than it was 3 days ago.  

Another odd thing is that I'm not really craving any foods.  Sure, if I could get away with it, I'd eat a Whataburger or pizza, but I honestly don't even think about or consider it.  I figured I'd have much worse cravings than I do.  I am getting a tad tired of the aforementioned foods; however, I should be good just adding variety without breaking the deal.

One last thing.  I did a pretty strenuous bike ride this afternoon.  For the first 5 miles, I was really suffering.  After that, I felt fine other than I was far more thirsty than normal.  I was only out for an hour, but I didn't feel any real fatigue.

Whataburger is super accomodating with obnoxious Keto orders. I regularly get a double or triple meat w/cheese and no bun. Toss some bacon on that bad boy and you got yourself a nice keto meal. They serve it in one of their salad trays with lettuce and tomato etc all the normal addons. Makes like a nice burger salad.

Ran 5K for the first time without stopping yesterday. Slow pace, about 5MPH but the goal is to get that in the sub 30s in not too long. GF wants to sign up for a real race but she's a bit behind me and I don't want it to be a miserable experience for her.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shenanigans said:

Whataburger is super accomodating with obnoxious Keto orders. I regularly get a double or triple meat w/cheese and no bun. Toss some bacon on that bad boy and you got yourself a nice keto meal. They serve it in one of their salad trays with lettuce and tomato etc all the normal addons. Makes like a nice burger salad.

Ran 5K for the first time without stopping yesterday. Slow pace, about 5MPH but the goal is to get that in the sub 30s in not too long. GF wants to sign up for a real race but she's a bit behind me and I don't want it to be a miserable experience for her.

I get Keto is more of a macro thing but anything Whataburger is loaded with sodium and cholesterol. I would call that close to a cheat meal if we're thinking overall health-wise. 

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

I get Keto is more of a macro thing but anything Whataburger is loaded with sodium and cholesterol. I would call that close to a cheat meal if we're thinking overall health-wise. 

I don't really worry about sodium or cholesterol.  The cholesterol stuff is myth.  Many doctors are coming around to that. 

So? Sugar is the real enemy. Not fat and it’s related components. Sugar causes the inflammation that kills arteries. Don’t eat Whataburger often if the sodium is s problem, but do it keto when you do. Everyone gets to have a cheat meal now and again. Just no bread.

1 hour ago, troph said:

So? Sugar is the real enemy. Not fat and it’s related components. Sugar causes the inflammation that kills arteries. Don’t eat Whataburger often if the sodium is s problem, but do it keto when you do. Everyone gets to have a cheat meal now and again. Just no bread.

I kind of did last night, but I think I still stayed just below 20 grams of carbs for the day.  Went to a Greek restaurant.  Had grilled chx and zucchini with a side of green beans and about 5, silver-dollar sized pieces of fried zucchini.  I think the fried zucchini was coated in corn meal.