2019 Body Transformation Thread

Ok just finished the fast at 168 hours with some fried eggs and bacon. Maybe a glass of wine or two as well. Probably gonna end up shitting myself later and definitely going to end up gaining a few of the 11 pounds I lost. I’ll weigh in the morning and see.

Weighed in this morning at 199 so a pretty solid 10 pounds lost. Gonna try to stick to keto’ish and 20:4 IF. Maybe just one beer a day too.
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

tried a keto diet for about 3 weeks.  was at 232lbs and was maintaining a gut for first time.  Really just read a few pages on the redit site for keto and cut out the usual stuff:

- bread/buns/torts/chips, - pasta/rice noodles and the big 3 were chocolate candy, cookies and frozen margs (40g carbs per; ouch!)

basically just reading ingredients was really eye opening (and googling "how many carbs in ________").  Not sure if I ever got into full keto or not.  But after almost 3 weeks of trying to stay under 20g carbs/day, I dropped 14lbs.  So pretty pleased with everything after the gut went back into hiding.  Backed off a little and trying to just maintain at about 220lbs now.  This was with pretty much zero exercise.  Had shoulder surgery 10days ago so just started rehabbing that.

miss eating the noodles out of pho the most right now and often have dreams where I eat corn chips and devour chocolate pie.

Also, has anyone tried the Choc Zero stuff?  They claim like 2-3 net carbs (15 carbs with 13 from fiber)  It is insanely good and I'm kinda skeptical about it.  I tried (and failed) to make baker's chocolate taste sweet with Splenda and heavy whipping cream to get a chocolate fix.

Choc zero is my savior, have been keto a little over a year now, and probably have had a choc zero almost every day with no issues on ketosis. Put them in the freezer and enjoy. 

• Like 1

Dropped to 210 after refeeding post fast. I’m thinking 1 week of fasting per month is a good mix.

Still mostly keto and 20/4 intermittent fasting. I don’t count or track carbs anymore when cooking or eating, but it’s pretty easy at this point. Meat and vegetables, staying away from refined seed oils, and lots of sparkling water.

Keep it up everyone!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Choc zero is my savior, have been keto a little over a year now, and probably have had a choc zero almost every day with no issues on ketosis. Put them in the freezer and enjoy. 

thanks for the info and that's good news for me.  Good luck to everyone on their goals!

So I have been IF for 2 weeks.  Eating from noon to 8p only.  The first week I had a TON of headaches.  Those seem to have gone away now and I am starting to notice that I get full much quicker when I do eat.  I feel like weight is starting to burn off and my wife says she notices a difference.  I have noticed a acidic feeling in my stomach a little more and I have been crapping lime green for the last week or so.  The only thing I have changed is my eating times so I'm convinced that has to be the cause of it.  Either that or I caught the toilet aids at the work bathroom!  I'm hopeful that I can get my ass back in to descent shape!

224.0 this morning. It's the weirdest thing. I haven't changed jack squat in my routine in the last year and a half but all of a sudden I seem to be moving off of the plateau I've been stuck on for months and months. Maybe it's the self discipline finally paying off. Maybe it's the AIDS. Or cancer. Whatever, weight loss woo-hoo!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Damn, well done! 

I've been giving a lot of thought to my diet in the past few weeks.  Been eating way too many mixed nuts (cashews, almonds, etc) that is too high in fat.  Decided to stop the mixed nut snack around noon and just do another protein scoop with water instead.  I felt so damn full last night after dinner that I couldn't eat anything else.  Dinner last night was a double portion of steamed broccoli, chicken breast and chicken thigh (baked).  Woke up this morning, went to the gym and weighed myself and I lost a pound yesterday.  Strength/lifting is still progressing as well so I'm not losing muscle.  I'm wanting to bench 225 by June 15.

Down 25 pounds since Feb. doing keto. I could use some good restaurant recommendations that are good for low carb in North Austin if anybody has some. Anderson Ln. and Burnet specifically, but anywhere in the general area. Went by P Terry's and was happy to see that they do a good lettuce wrapped burger. They must use a half a head of lettuce on the thing. Also saw on a different thread here that Dos Batos does a cheese tortilla taco. Need to try that. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Down 25 pounds since Feb. doing keto. I could use some good restaurant recommendations that are good for low carb in North Austin if anybody has some. Anderson Ln. and Burnet specifically, but anywhere in the general area. Went by P Terry's and was happy to see that they do a good lettuce wrapped burger. They must use a half a head of lettuce on the thing. Also saw on a different thread here that Dos Batos does a cheese tortilla taco. Need to try that. 

Chicken or steak bowl at Cabo Bob's on Anderson

Goat soup and goat meat at Taco More (Parkfield and Rundberg)

Lots of breakfast options at La Casita (Anderson Ln by railroad tracks)

Gyro meat on salad at Halal Bros (Braker by Metric)

supposed net 3 carbs cereal.  https://magicspoon.com/products/cocoa-cereal-case  This stuff is not a bargain for sure, but I bought some on a lark and it's pretty good.  I was craving my Chocolate Lucky Charms and came across this.  It's a decent substitute.  I have no idea if this 'allulose' is legit or not as a sugar substitute.  Here is google quick search article I found on it:  https://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/everything-you-need-know-about-todays-most-popular-sweeteners/honey-3/

Being new to keto, I was shocked at the amouont of carbs in 2% milk.

Anyway, after a 5 weeks on keto(ish) diet I'm still maintaining my weight (after dropping down to really close to my goal) and eating more stuff that i like vs trying to go the low-fat / low calorie diet that i could not strictly maintain.

1 hour ago, gyroprotagonist said:

supposed net 3 carbs cereal.  https://magicspoon.com/products/cocoa-cereal-case  This stuff is not a bargain for sure, but I bought some on a lark and it's pretty good.  I was craving my Chocolate Lucky Charms and came across this.  It's a decent substitute.  I have no idea if this 'allulose' is legit or not as a sugar substitute.  Here is google quick search article I found on it:  https://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/everything-you-need-know-about-todays-most-popular-sweeteners/honey-3/

Being new to keto, I was shocked at the amouont of carbs in 2% milk.

Anyway, after a 5 weeks on keto(ish) diet I'm still maintaining my weight (after dropping down to really close to my goal) and eating more stuff that i like vs trying to go the low-fat / low calorie diet that i could not strictly maintain.

I haven't tried that, but heard its pretty good. I like Cereal School, 1 net carb but different flavors then this. 

176 today. 20 min of intense cardio to start my workout and then working out with machines and free weights hard for 30 min, and then 15 more min on the elliptical to finish. Going at least 3X per week...I'm dropping weight like crazy and adding muscle. I've never been this committed to transforming my body and it's paying off.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, immortal13 said:

176 today. 20 min of intense cardio to start my workout and then working out with machines and free weights hard for 30 min, and then 15 more min on the elliptical to finish. Going at least 3X per week...I'm dropping weight like crazy and adding muscle. I've never been this committed to transforming my body and it's paying off.

Nice job man. 

new to intermittent fasting.  Somehow it popped up on youtube.  Some people say skip breakfast.  I like breakfast and have 80 days of not having to be anywhere - teacher in Alaska.  I also have limited access to fresh veggies.  I have stocked up on various proteins, so my freezer right now has at least 5 steaks, 3 roast beefs, two pork loins, a few chicken breasts, some ground turkey, ground beef, plenty of Alaska fish, etc.  

Good news is there is no fast food where I live.  I was already on the way down - weight wise, when I moved here in August.  High weight was probably 260ish in summer of 18.  November- hit my low 222.  Now as of a few days ago, back up to 234.   The wife cooks better than I do.  The wife is spending the summer in Texas, so I have complete control of what/when I eat.  Since I like breakfast, gonna try intermittent fasting by skipping dinner.  Nice, decent breakfast - hot cereal-add in a little honey. then eat a GOOD lunch- finish around 1 or 2.   Eat breakfast around 6:30 a.m.  I have apple cider vinegar.  Will drink water with apple cider vinegar like it is going out of style.  Water here is GOOD!  That gives me 16.5 hours without food.  I think I have protein powder as well. 

Any advice? 

Wish me luck. 

On 5/26/2019 at 5:40 PM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Please advise on how you get a wife free summer.

Easy.  You follow her advice when she texts an article "10 easy steps to becoming a teacher in Alaska", you sell your house in Texas, move to the bush of Alaska where there is no fast food, car traffic, grocery stores, stores of any kind except for a general store that has obscene prices and little selection and then you propose staying in Alaska for the summer with the two dogs, so she can go back to Texas and visit her two sisters.  

In the village where I live, there is also remarkably good air, and very clean water.  There is also an apartment that is subsidized rent, as in $810 per month for a two bedroom apartment, and no utilities charged.  I walk 30 yards to school.  Incredible value for this item, coming from a guy whose shortest commute was 28 miles in DFW.  

On the negative there is an obscene charge for internet, $300 plus a month.  But there is free internet at the school. Since there is free internet at school I reduced our home internet for the summer down to only 40 whatever those things are called, mgs? and the rate is half the normal charge. 

Been married 25 years and she was incredibly hot in her day.   Teacher salary has been the primary breadwinner salary since 2001.   I am so happy here I paid for her trip from Texas back to Anchorage this summer with miles from the Alaskaair mileage plan and she will travel First Class!!!

We are having a weight loss contest for the summer.  I intend to obliterate her.  I better.  She has access to fast food and I don't.  

I plan to celebrate by enjoying some smoked brisket from Texas.  Her brother-in-law competes in brisket contests and I told her to get him to smoke two briskets and for her to freeze them and bring them to Alaska.

13 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

Easy.  You follow her advice when she texts an article "10 easy steps to becoming a teacher in Alaska", you sell your house in Texas, move to the bush of Alaska where there is no fast food, car traffic, grocery stores, stores of any kind except for a general store that has obscene prices and little selection and then you propose staying in Alaska for the summer with the two dogs, so she can go back to Texas and visit her two sisters.  

In the village where I live, there is also remarkably good air, and very clean water.  There is also an apartment that is subsidized rent, as in $810 per month for a two bedroom apartment, and no utilities charged.  I walk 30 yards to school.  Incredible value for this item, coming from a guy whose shortest commute was 28 miles in DFW.  

On the negative there is an obscene charge for internet, $300 plus a month.  But there is free internet at the school. Since there is free internet at school I reduced our home internet for the summer down to only 40 whatever those things are called, mgs? and the rate is half the normal charge. 

Been married 25 years and she was incredibly hot in her day.   Teacher salary has been the primary breadwinner salary since 2001.   I am so happy here I paid for her trip from Texas back to Anchorage this summer with miles from the Alaskaair mileage plan and she will travel First Class!!!

We are having a weight loss contest for the summer.  I intend to obliterate her.  I better.  She has access to fast food and I don't.  

I plan to celebrate by enjoying some smoked brisket from Texas.  Her brother-in-law competes in brisket contests and I told her to get him to smoke two briskets and for her to freeze them and bring them to Alaska.

What village in Alaska?  My wife has family in Girdwood and Seward.

Well, after kicking ass to start the year, I half-assed it at best through March & April, then let things really slide in May.

Fell back into the typical old habits: Eating and drinking too much, not working out enough. 

Capped it off by spending Memorial Day weekend completely blowing it out with booze and food down at the beach. Didn't even need to step on a scale this morning to realize I'm close to all the way back to where I started in January. I can tell that just by the way my clothes fit. 

Today I'm hitting the reset button. Wish me luck. 

How do you guys deal with weight gain caused by stress? My stress levels have tripled over the last year and that caused me to gain 10 pounds that I absolutely cannot lose through diet. I started weight training and cardio about 3 weeks ago so hopefully I can get back on track

How do you guys deal with weight gain caused by stress? My stress levels have tripled over the last year and that caused me to gain 10 pounds that I absolutely cannot lose through diet. I started weight training and cardio about 3 weeks ago so hopefully I can get back on track

I stick with my nutrition plan. I’m dealing with hours going away at work and the school district possibly moving my kid to a new school. The only constant I can control is my nutrition. The shakes and snacks have kept me in line.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

Learn to embrace that the world is chaotic and try your best to stick to your meal plan.  No matter what.  If you want to lose 10 pounds, that's 35,000 calories you need to burn.  Eat at a 200 calorie deficit per day and have it off in 6 months.  500 calorie/day deficit and have it off in 2.5 months.  Just be aware of hidden calories on what you're drinking. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

One other thing, that probably goes hand in hand with stress, that might be causing this also is not enough sleep. I never paid attention to that until I started getting to the age where weight loss became very difficult. It seems to be a direct correlation, with me at least. Solving it is a whole other issue, but just throwing that out there. 

My buddy, who's morbidly obese (I say that as the doctor's term) finally got on a CPAP because his sleep was so bad and lost 45 pounds in a few months, not changing anything else. When I am getting 7 or 8 hours a night consistently, it seems like maintaining and losing is much easier to attain than when my sleep is fucked. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

One other thing, that probably goes hand in hand with stress, that might be causing this also is not enough sleep. I never paid attention to that until I started getting to the age where weight loss became very difficult. It seems to be a direct correlation, with me at least. Solving it is a whole other issue, but just throwing that out there. 

My buddy, who's morbidly obese (I say that as the doctor's term) finally got on a CPAP because his sleep was so bad and lost 45 pounds in a few months, not changing anything else. When I am getting 7 or 8 hours a night consistently, it seems like maintaining and losing is much easier to attain than when my sleep is fucked. 

Very true, you burn a lot of calories when sleeping, and it is hard to lose weight when you aren't sleeping enough. Big part that many people don't consider. 

9 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Very true, you burn a lot of calories when sleeping, and it is hard to lose weight when you aren't sleeping enough. Big part that many people don't consider. 

Peter Attia had Matt Walker on for a 3 part podcast (6 hours total) on sleep that was pretty eye opening.  But big picture takeaway as it relates to this is that sleep deprivation not only results in your body being in an ideal metabolic state for packing on pounds but studies have also shown you are significantly more likely to make poor food choices when sleep deprived, so double whammy.

• Like 2

I am a sleep apnea guy, tried three or so masks, never worked.  Brand new to the IF.  first day- didn't finish eating lunch until almost 2:00 p.m. Ate a big thick NY strip.  Yesterday, a more normal lunch - just two cheeseburgers-with turkey breast on the burger - wheat bread- and frozen veggies on the side.  finished eating about 1:00 p.m.  

Today, finished eating at 12:30 -  - breakfast - unusual - I made quesadillas - ground beef, eggs and cheese.  Was full after only 2 quesadillas- impressive considering I had gone about 17 hours without food.  Coffee - black - was good! Saved the last quesadilla- ate it before lunch, then lunch turned into just a casserole - what was left from the frozen veggies, add in a can of green beans, mushroom soup, cheese and french's onions. 

Pork chops are marinating for tomorrow's lunch - soy sauce and italian dressing.  

Sleep - last night I thought I slept, but the daytime sleepiness still gets me.  I wish I could sleep just one more hour.  Usually wake up at 5:00 a.m.  disappointing but I am convinced apnea will never actually end unless I drop about 30 + more pounds.  

So, this time I am looking at fasting about 17.5 hours.  The IF youtube video lady was pretty good.  She suggested her patients start with 12 hours then bump up to 13 etc.  

The only time I can remember my stomach growling the last two days was when I was in bed - early morning hours. 

Weight loss since May 23 - 4+ 

Will add in some planks maybe tomorrow.  Sounds minimal, but in the fall when I was losing weight I was doing 2 minute planks three times a day and felt sharper.  

All I do now is take long walks with the dogs.  Usually get plenty of steps.  

• Like 1

Like this thread, got a reality check this morning, gained a pound yesterday, so went back to standard breakfast, hot cereal, with added fiber.  Ran down the hill to get heart rate up, have been alert almost all day..awesome!  I think that will be the key for me this summer.  10000 steps a day sounds nice, but it doesn’t mean a thing if I don’t get my heart rate up.  I am shooting for 3 times a day.

• Like 1

A pound? I gain and lose 10 pounds every couple days. 

Also, anyone doing keto, Reddi Wip is not OK. Just a heads up on that one. I thought it might be alright to satiate a sweet craving every now and then, but that didn't work for me. The Hersey is really good though if you're looking.