2019 Body Transformation Thread

10 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Most folks have a one to three pound moving range. No one stays exactly one weight. Go take a big shit and you lose that pound.

In the summer, a day of bad hydration is 8# for me.  That's why it's important to scale every day and watch your 7 day running average.

• Like 1

My weight typically fluctuates about 3 pounds during the day. Lowest in the morning when I first get up and then heaviest when I weigh after work. As long as you're using one or the other as "your weight" it don't make a shit. Just be consistent if you're trying to track weight loss, it'll give a clearer picture of what's going on.

I've been at 222 in the mornings for a solid week now and 225 in the afternoons. My starting weight this year was from an afternoon weigh-in (233) so based on that I feel like it's safe to say I've lost 8 pounds. Still 7 months left to lose 10 more pounds.

I've got a 6 month checkup scheduled in 2 weeks, looking forward to getting on the scale for the doc and seeing what the blood is looking like.

Been on intermittent fasting for almost a week, and just realized I am sitting here not hungry at all, and have less than 2 hours to go until I eat.  I am guessing goal of IF is to simply reduce your appetite? It is working so far.  I just need to work on sitting down and enjoying the lunch meal.  

Add in a regular exercise program, and I can see losing 16 pounds this summer.  That puts me down from obese to overweight, according to the fancy scale/app the wife bought,  and that would be great.  Longer term, I can see  getting down to  under 200 by Dec., when I go to son’s college graduation.  10000 steps a day doesn’t mean anything, but since I live in an area with a huge amount of summer sunlight possible, I plan to set a local record for steps on June 21, when we have about 20 hours of daylight.

• Like 1

There are also studies that directly relate sunlight to weight loss. Not because of being more active, but the actual elements of sunlight on your skin. Some shit like that, that I'm not smart enough to understand. 

If my world were perfect, there would be 20 hours of sunlight everywhere, everyday. 

1 hour ago, orangecat92 said:

Been on intermittent fasting for almost a week, and just realized I am sitting here not hungry at all, and have less than 2 hours to go until I eat.  I am guessing goal of IF is to simply reduce your appetite? It is working so far.  I just need to work on sitting down and enjoying the lunch meal.  

Add in a regular exercise program, and I can see losing 16 pounds this summer.  That puts me down from obese to overweight, according to the fancy scale/app the wife bought,  and that would be great.  Longer term, I can see  getting down to  under 200 by Dec., when I go to son’s college graduation.  10000 steps a day doesn’t mean anything, but since I live in an area with a huge amount of summer sunlight possible, I plan to set a local record for steps on June 21, when we have about 20 hours of daylight.

2 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

Which type of IF are you doing?  16/8? 24-hour? Caloric? or 20/4?

8 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

Which type of IF are you doing?  16/8? 24-hour? Caloric? or 20/4?

After I watched the YouTube, I decided to break in slowly, so I am doing 16/8, but for example this morning I lasted 19 hours.  No stomach growling, so I am thinking I could have easily lasted 20.  I break the fast with hot cereal.  Is there any evidence that 20/4 works better? I am guessing I could continue the 16/8 and then throw in an occasional 40 hr. fast.  Iow continue the fast, and instead of breaking the fast just keep on for another full day.  Black coffee already tastes really good.  How good would it taste if I went 40 hours with no food.  This is a fantastic experiment.  

Intermittent fasting is coming along well.  I have seen some more videos and want some opinions. 

One expert on youtube says put salt in water, because it helps you retain minerals you would otherwise lose.  Thoughts? 

I think it was the same guy who said don't IF every day. Huh?  I am thinking he meant vary the length of fast to "confuse" the stomach?  I don't think he meant have a cheat day, but don't know. 

Speaking of, anybody here have a cheat day on IF?  If so, did you like it? Was it worth it? 

Very interesting thought by this expert to exercise during the last hour of the fast.  I am intrigued.  I will try this later in the summer.  Anybody here have success with that? 

6 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

Intermittent fasting is coming along well.  I have seen some more videos and want some opinions. 

One expert on youtube says put salt in water, because it helps you retain minerals you would otherwise lose.  Thoughts? 

I think it was the same guy who said don't IF every day. Huh?  I am thinking he meant vary the length of fast to "confuse" the stomach?  I don't think he meant have a cheat day, but don't know. 

Speaking of, anybody here have a cheat day on IF?  If so, did you like it? Was it worth it? 

Very interesting thought by this expert to exercise during the last hour of the fast.  I am intrigued.  I will try this later in the summer.  Anybody here have success with that? 

I don't view intermittent fasting as something you have to do everyday, it is easily something that can be tailored for your needs. Lost a good portion of my weight loss before fasting, but the fasting has certainly helped and accelerated it, even though tougher now. I have been doing 16-8 for the most part, but I don't let the weekends bother me if I or my family want to eat early, or if I want breakfast. 

Guess I am just saying I don't think if you eat three meals a day one day that will really change much of anything at all. I wouldn't worry about that at all. As for exercise during the last hour of fast, I do that all of the time when I do 24 hour fasts, and have better energy then usual, not sure why. Good luck. Lots of way to do things, just find what works for you where it is livable. Otherwise, not worth it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

I would question an "expert" on YouTube, unless they have a degree and whatnot.  Most of the stuff is just bros who say whatever to get people to watch their shit.

I tried IF in the summer of 2017.  I'm not overweight (workout 6x a week and have been for the last 10+ years) but I did want to see if it would help lose a little weight around my stomach.  I've gone between 185-195 for what seems like forever,  but it depends on if him strength training or maintaining.  So for me, I started out doing IF for 16/8 and after about 2 weeks, I moved on to a 20/4 for IF.  If I'm being honest, I didn't see much of a result but my body was already adjusted so I just kept it up just to see if anything would happen.  I didn't do IF every single day, especially if I was going out drinking with friends or if I had a basketball camp that week.  I don't think IF is something you *need* to do every day either. 

Cut to last year where I was walking into the college with the kinesiology professor and ask him his thoughts on IF since he actually has degrees in this stuff.  He told me there's no hardcore research that says IF works or that IF doesn't work so it's really up to the individual if they want to try it.  I don't think it really worked for me, but that doesn't mean it won't work for you and others.  But damn, getting my body trained to eat between 2:00-6:00pm only was tough.  I was definitely cranky a lot.  I also found that I didn't have that much energy for my morning workouts, so I had to double the pre-workout. 

As I mentioned in the Gym Pet Peeve thread, I tried German Volume Training (gvt) for 5 weeks, and I just completed that 2 weeks ago.  I did a modified version (1 min rest instead of 30, and did 7x7, 8x8, and stopped at 9x9 whereas true GVT is a 10x10 with only 30 sec rest) and I combined that GVT workout with increased HIIT, and I've seen results from that.  I've gotten leaner in the places I wanted to get leaner while still putting on an extra 1-2lbs of muscle.  Now I'm straight strength training. 

Finally, my diet during this last semester was shit.  It was just a crazy as semester.  But one thing I knew I wasn't getting was a certain amount of good carbs.  I found high protein lean mass powder that has a decent amount of carbs that I wasn't getting.  It tastes good too, but it's pricey for the big bag. 

So I'm not telling you to not do IF rather I didn't really notice anything when I did it for a summer.  I'll tell you what I tell people who ask me for "suggestions--I can tell you stuff, but you have to realize everyone's body is different so what works for me doesn't mean it will work for you.  Sounds like IF is working for you, so keep doing some trial and error with it as long as you're seeing the results you want without sacrificing your health. 

IF is simply an easier way for people to keep down calories, isn't it? I'm stalled a little on keto and came across an article about breaking it with an egg fast. Anyone done this? I feel like I'm buying I into the fad diet thing every time I look up this stuff, but hey, I'm down 25 pounds in 4 months so it's working. 

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/egg-fast/

2 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

IF is simply an easier way for people to keep down calories, isn't it? I'm stalled a little on keto and came across an article about breaking it with an egg fast. Anyone done this? I feel like I'm buying I into the fad diet thing every time I look up this stuff, but hey, I'm down 25 pounds in 4 months so it's working. 

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/egg-fast/

Yes, but losing weight is about being in caloric deficit.  You don't necessarily need IF to do that, but as mentioned earlier, it might work for some people.  Sounds like it's working for @orangecat92 so I say keep doing what works without sacrificing health. 

IF is definitely working for me, caveat being is has only been a couple of weeks, down several pounds and feeling better.  The key for me is to work something that will transition well when school starts again in August.  This is the beauty of rural Alaska.  One of the suggestions is to break the fast with something fairly light, and then eat again an hour later.  Since I have a 3 minute commute to school, I can go workout in the gym, come back home, shower, break the fast, and then take food with me to eat an hour later.  Then I will talk the wife into making a complete, full, hot meal for lunch.  1200, and boom the eating is done for the day.  

There are no food temptations where I live, so I get to learn to enjoy the taste of green tea.  The water tastes much better than McKinney water, which is probably why black coffee tastes so good here.   Talked to the wife and she said she will do IF with me when she comes back.  Her part time job is in the afternoon, so she has time to make the lunch meal every day.  

Convenience wins for me.  If I could just sleep longer I would be in heaven.

22 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Weighed in just now at the dr. 263 which wasn’t a surprise. Been working a lot and eating crap food. BP was 130/80. I was kinda pissed about that. Probably only the second time in my life it’s been that high.

That’s not really that high though. Get some of the weight off and you’ll be good to go.

Weighed in at 197 this AM. I’ve started to go more towards OMAD to keep track of calories. Easier for me as I don’t track/weigh my food and I’m still losing, but very slowly.

I’ve plateaued at ~295 for the past month. I took a bad injury to my finger last month which made it hard to work out, but that is just an excuse. 

Still down 75+ pounds since November. My wife bought me a new 44-46 belt that is already too big. I was wearing 52-54 last year. 

• Like 4

Fell off IF wagon today because of no good reason, but will be interesting.  Waited too long to eat lunch.  Ended up feeling weak, so drank 2 cans of coke and then ate lunch at 430.  I will still be able to fast for 16+ hours.  Will skip breakfast and eat a really good meal for lunch.  Got a Big tbone ready to go, and onions marinating in Italian dressing.  Will chop club crackers as breading for onion rings.  Flour, egg batter, cracker crumbs.  Bake the onion rings.  Will cook brown rice, and some frozen green veggie.  I intend to eat this slowly.  Almost forgot, will marinate steak in melted butter overnight.  Dogs will feast on the bone.  Everybody will be happy and then instead of dessert, I will make sure I drink at least 2 cups of coffee and drink plenty of water after a 3.5 mile run, which will happen around 5 pm.

Next meal after lunch will be. Sunday morning.  Also found nerdfitness, and will start his fitness plan tomorrow.  Real easy to follow, but the trick is to execute the plan 3 times in a row without stopping.   

Perhaps this is the wrong place to ask/discuss this but it might benefit us older surly’s...

i joined this discussion because I had gained some weight the last 2 years which was really strange because I had literally been the same size/weight since high school almost 20 years ago... 

In the last year I gained 25+lbs and they aren’t the good ones so I was looking for answers on the nets I found sarms.

Two cycles in and the results have been fantastic as far as building muscle and being able to work out even when tired but cutting weight has been non-existent.  

My question is; Are there any fat burning tips I should be using? 

4 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

Fell off IF wagon today because of no good reason, but will be interesting.  Waited too long to eat lunch.  Ended up feeling weak, so drank 2 cans of coke and then ate lunch at 430.  I will still be able to fast for 16+ hours.  Will skip breakfast and eat a really good meal for lunch.  Got a Big tbone ready to go, and onions marinating in Italian dressing.  Will chop club crackers as breading for onion rings.  Flour, egg batter, cracker crumbs.  Bake the onion rings.  Will cook brown rice, and some frozen green veggie.  I intend to eat this slowly.  Almost forgot, will marinate steak in melted butter overnight.  Dogs will feast on the bone.  Everybody will be happy and then instead of dessert, I will make sure I drink at least 2 cups of coffee and drink plenty of water after a 3.5 mile run, which will happen around 5 pm.

Next meal after lunch will be. Sunday morning.  Also found nerdfitness, and will start his fitness plan tomorrow.  Real easy to follow, but the trick is to execute the plan 3 times in a row without stopping.   

Not sure what kind of diet you are on, but wish you the best of luck. I would not ever worry about falling of the IF wagon. That is just a tool that Keto has made popular. Missing a day won't mean much for you. 

3 hours ago, SDG said:

In the last year I gained 25+lbs and they aren’t the good ones so I was looking for answers on the nets I found sarms

Welcome to the club bud, I was skinny as shit, but age makes you change your dirt to maintain. 

Starting keto again today.  After X-Mas, I lost about 15 lbs rather quickly.  Dropped from 225 to 210.  Been hovering between 207 and 211 since mid-Feb.  Cool, because I wasn't doing shitall as far as watching what I ate.  I'd like to get down to 195, which should be doable because, as a teacher, I've got plenty of time for cardio these days.

Starting today at 208.6 lbs.   

• Like 1

Nervous about my weigh in tomorrow. Since May 9th I've been going to the gym 4 times a week with 45 minute sessions. 2 weights and cardio and 2 cardio only. When I used to work out a long time ago I was always doing weights at 60 and 70 pounds but now I'm up to 90. Hopefully I will get to the big 100 mark.

11 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Not sure what kind of diet you are on, but wish you the best of luck. I would not ever worry about falling of the IF wagon. That is just a tool that Keto has made popular. Missing a day won't mean much for you. 

Seems like he would be better off focusing on improving his diet rather than trying to following IF or any other fad (not saying IF doesn't have benefits, just that improving quality of diet should come first, then other strategies to follow). Stop with the cokes and other empty calories. Also, not sure the reasoning on drinking coffee AFTER working out. Caffeine is a performance enhancer. If you're doing it, at least treat it like a pre-workout to get a little bit more from your session.  

10 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Welcome to the club bud, I was skinny as shit, but age makes you change your dirt to maintain. 

yeah, i hit that wall about 42yo.  going from consuming 5-8K calories per day and not moving the needle on weight to putting on 15lbs quick and topping out at 235lbs.  Tried eating 'better' and trended towards low fat/low cal/small portions but the splurge days would wreck everything and no progress was made.

Then reading this thread, tried to do keto and just cut out the carbs.  dropped the 15lbs and now it's pretty easy to maintain the weight I want on a keto-like diet.  I have never tested my glucose or anything to see it it's true keto or not (did kinda get the 'flu' shortly after starting) but just cutting out chips/torts/hamburger buns/fries and especially chocolate candy has made a big difference.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

yeah, i hit that wall about 42yo.  going from consuming 5-8K calories per day and not moving the needle on weight to putting on 15lbs quick and topping out at 235lbs.  Tried eating 'better' and trended towards low fat/low cal/small portions but the splurge days would wreck everything and no progress was made.

Then reading this thread, tried to do keto and just cut out the carbs.  dropped the 15lbs and now it's pretty easy to maintain the weight I want on a keto-like diet.  I have never tested my glucose or anything to see it it's true keto or not (did kinda get the 'flu' shortly after starting) but just cutting out chips/torts/hamburger buns/fries and especially chocolate candy has made a big difference.

Almost exactly my story. 42 and  put on about 15-20 with no warning and hard as shit to get off. So difficult I couldn't get anything to work so I tried cutting carbs for the first time in my life. I was never skinny, but never fat and could lose fairly easily if I wanted. Now I have a lot more control of my gains and losses. 

It puts @SDG about that same age and weight gain and hard as shit to shed. Fucking 40's. How dumb. 

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Seems like he would be better off focusing on improving his diet rather than trying to following IF or any other fad (not saying IF doesn't have benefits, just that improving quality of diet should come first, then other strategies to follow). Stop with the cokes and other empty calories. Also, not sure the reasoning on drinking coffee AFTER working out. Caffeine is a performance enhancer. If you're doing it, at least treat it like a pre-workout to get a little bit more from your session.  

Yeah, the coke was a mistake.  I should have tried cranberry juice.  I have concentrate from Amazon, which has almost no sugar.  Speaking of diet, I broke a 19 hour fast the incorrect way, but will burn a huge amount of calories when I run in about 3 hours.  Shooting for running 4 miles and walking back.  Should add about 10000 steps.  I surprised myself just now by not eating the entire NY strip.  Made the baked onion rings, brown rice with ro tel, and steamed broccoli. Drank lemon water, straight.  Will drink coffee before the run.   Only spice I added was 2 kinds of pepper.  I am almost done with salt, at least in terms of adding salt to food.  Am completely full, but strangely not sleepy.  

Did the reverse sear @nd wow, was that good.  

8 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Almost exactly my story. 42 and  put on about 15-20 with no warning and hard as shit to get off. So difficult I couldn't get anything to work so I tried cutting carbs for the first time in my life. I was never skinny, but never fat and could lose fairly easily if I wanted. Now I have a lot more control of my gains and losses. 

It puts @SDG about that same age and weight gain and hard as shit to shed. Fucking 40's. How dumb. 

Not what i wanted to hear as i like beer...  Back in my 20’s and early 30’s I could drink/eat whatever as long as I worked out.  Now not so much...

i may have to go the keto route but do I really want to live in an alcohol free world?  

24 minutes ago, SDG said:

i may have to go the keto route but do I really want to live in an alcohol free world?  

I don't think you have to. I don't drink, but that's because I like it too much, so I didn't have to look into how much boozing I would need to cut for the diet. Well I would have been over the carb limit 4 minutes into my day if I still drank, so we wouldn't be having this conversation anyway. 

7 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Dang. 5-8k calories a day was normal?
When I was throwing heavy iron I was still only at 5k per day to get to 206. That was hard to maintain so I can’t imagine doing that on a regular basis.

i had insane metabolism.  would typically skip breakfast, then knock out a double whataburger meal (or a buffet) + candy and/or baked sweets (cookies etc...) at lunch then usually a heavy dinner with some high calorie beers and I am I night owl so usually a late night snack.  maybe the tapeworm finally died, but it was fun while it lasted.  i was not a couch potato or anything, but also not training for a marathon or 200 meter freestyle.  

and on the booze front, just cut out the sugar laden mixers and you will be all good.  I almost cried when i saw that frozen margs had roughly 35g of carbs per drink.  enough to wreck a good day of counting carbs in one go.  

So I benched 225 yesterday for the first time in my life. Very encouraging. I’m slowly getting stronger and putting on more muscle. Down to 195 lbs.

Question for you guys that lift frequently: do you guys take a pre workout? I lift at 5 am and find it tough to maintain energy throughout my entire workout. I tried pre workout this morning (half a serving) and felt a huge difference.

• Like 2

So how long does it take to get into Keto again?  I started Sat morning.  I have the strips, but I'm still testing really low in ketones.  I did cheat a bit in the middle of Sat night by drinking about 12 ounces of 7Up: however, I don't think I've really had more than 20 carbs other than that.

23 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Question for you guys that lift frequently: do you guys take a pre workout? I lift at 5 am and find it tough to maintain energy throughout my entire workout. I tried pre workout this morning (half a serving) and felt a huge difference.

What “pre workout” do you take and what are the active ingredients?

I also lift at 5am and have been on a lazy keto for quite a while. I take whey powder and a tablespoon of MCT oil, along with a cup of coffee. I’ve read that MCT oil is a relatively quick digested fat, so it’s a good carb substitute in terms of providing energy. But I feel like I could use a boost.

On 6/10/2019 at 6:46 AM, pearlandhorn said:

So I benched 225 yesterday for the first time in my life. Very encouraging. I’m slowly getting stronger and putting on more muscle. Down to 195 lbs.

yes, but not all pre-workouts are the same. 

pre-workouts are trial and error as well, and some contain stuff other than caffeine/energy blends that you may or may not want or need. 

12 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

So how long does it take to get into Keto again?  I started Sat morning.  I have the strips, but I'm still testing really low in ketones.  I did cheat a bit in the middle of Sat night by drinking about 12 ounces of 7Up: however, I don't think I've really had more than 20 carbs other than that.

Usually like 3-4 days, assuming you've been out for a while. But you can throw out Saturday as that one 7up is probably like 40 carbs. I would guess tomorrow for you, but everyone is different, especially starting again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

What “pre workout” do you take and what are the active ingredients?

I also lift at 5am and have been on a lazy keto for quite a while. I take whey powder and a tablespoon of MCT oil, along with a cup of coffee. I’ve read that MCT oil is a relatively quick digested fat, so it’s a good carb substitute in terms of providing energy. But I feel like I could use a boost.

This is what I'm trying first: 

http://www.forzaonenutrition.com/forzaonenutrition/products/noxp3

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

yes, but not all pre-workouts are the same. 

pre-workouts are trial and error as well, and some contain stuff other than caffeine/energy blends that you may or may not want or need. 

I hear you.  I've chosen one to start that has a creatine mixture as well.  I'll try out this tub and reevaluate when I'm getting to the end of it.

• Like 1

Weight loss has slowed down again, probably because I went off the keto reservation for a week or so. I was eating a few spoonfuls of peanut butter a day, in the evening, as a quick something to put in my gut. Oh well, I'm pretty sure that had an impact. :) Got a date with the doctor on Friday for the 6 month checkup. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2019 at 9:37 AM, Lobwedgephil said:

Usually like 3-4 days, assuming you've been out for a while. But you can throw out Saturday as that one 7up is probably like 40 carbs. I would guess tomorrow for you, but everyone is different, especially starting again. 

yeah, a 16oz bottle of 7up will have ~56g of sugar.  almost 3 days worth of carbs on a keto diet.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 7:46 AM, BBQ2Bayou said:

There are also studies that directly relate sunlight to weight loss. Not because of being more active, but the actual elements of sunlight on your skin. Some shit like that, that I'm not smart enough to understand. 

If my world were perfect, there would be 20 hours of sunlight everywhere, everyday. 

Just weighed today, 224.2, down 10 pounds since May 23, exercise is up drastically.  Have been doing better runs than in forever.  Ran 2 miles in 22 minutes last night, best per mile time since 2010 half marathon.  More importantly, am down 12 pounds from marathon weight.  Average steps past 7 days is over 13000.  Will set local record for steps in one day June 21.  Side benefit of IF, am taking forever to consume food.  Cooked 3 cups of pinto beans late last month, and they are still in the fridge, despite me eating a serving a day.  They’re good, I put a pound of breakfast sausage, half pound of bacon, grease from both kinds of pig, almost every spice I had except salt, 3 jalapeños, and onions. Past couple of days have poured a bit of barbecue sauce and baked the suckers.   Hmmm....good.  

Today or tomorrow I will reverse sear a chuck roast.  Jalapeño juice is soaking in at the moment.  Three kinds of pepper, garlic, butter etc. have been rubbed into this marbled beauty.  3 pounder will take maybe a week to eat.  Might end being a quesadilla in the end.

• Like 1

Ran in late morning, instead of evening.  Also consumed two kinds of protein, one is a coffee flavored protein I put in my coffee, the other a caramel flavor I put in oatmeal.  Ran one way to village, 4.1miles, walked back.  Total time 111 minutes, nearly a modern PR.  First goal is to get down to my half marathon pace of 13 min. 13 seconds, which I nearly hit today.  Today’s 13 minutes 34 seconds pace means I am already capable of beating the pace.  I know one PR I hit today, the amount of snot and phlegm that evacuated my head, which guarantees I will lose another pound when I weigh tomorrow.  Already have the amount of intense minutes the Garmin says I am supposed to have for the week, and sitting at 18000 steps, before one p.m.

might as well try to get all green check marks on garmin.  Just need 7 flights of stairs and 1500 calories burned I think.  

I've started calorie counting. Using UA's "MyFitnessPal" app. Have a friend who's also using it, and we've become accountability buddies.

So I'm in.

I'm doing good old 3 meals a day with portion reduction and exercising more for my plan. It's a pretty novel approach, I know, but I'm going to give it a shot.

I've also read that "cheat days" are a bad idea, so that's a new thing I'm going to avoid.

• Like 1