2019 Body Transformation Thread

4 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

I am now looking at cutting back on the keto diet.  yes, this is a sorta humblebrag, but I hit 210lbs today (I'm 6'7") down from 238lbs and don't want to really lose much more.  I am at a pretty good point where i am not overating and going past what I need for my daily calories.  that was really hard for me regulate when I was eating carbs/sweets/candies.  Those things hit the reward center in my brain like nothing else.  This thread is super helpful and was what got me try keto in the fist place.

@pearlandhorn did you ease back into carbs and see any big spikes in weight?  Or just flip the switch and replace significant portion of your fat intake w/ carbs?

Just replaced a big portion of my fat intake with carbs.  It all really boils down to Calories in/Calories out.  I didn't gain a single pound when I started eating sweet potatoes or other carbs over fats.  My activity level actually increased as I was able to go to the gym more often and lift more weight. Once again, I'm reiterating that I don't eat processed sugars (refined carbs).  I eat good carbs like sweet potatoes, tortillas, beans, veggies, etc.  I don't really eat fruit because of the sugar content but will probably venture back in to that realm eventually.

You're 210 at 6'7"?  That's pretty lean man.

• Like 2

I broke my fast last night at 6:00 AM.  I had 3 zucchinis sautéed in butter, a serving of leftover chicken keto casserole, and some summer sausage fried up.  It was a big meal.

I'm down 1.4 lbs today, but I'm also a bit dehydrated so some of that will come back.  I started another fast at 7:00 AM that'll last around 30 hours.  I'll be eating this weekend.

• Like 1

more power to to y'all who are fasting.  do what you need to do, but damn, that sounds like a long time to not take in any food.
Been crushing leftover bbq salads all week.  Just greens, brisket/turkey, those crunchy baked cheese wheels (replaces croutons), bacon bits and either buffalo ranch or blue cheese dressing.  Mix in some choc zero and some almond flour cookies for sweets and it's been a good week.  Pro tip for adding peanut butter to the Choc Zero.  If you get one of those little Justins peanut butter single serve things and just squeeze out 1/4 of it onto the choc zero bar, then sprinkle some monk fruit sugar on top of the PB, you have something approaching reeses PB cup, but right at 3-4 carbs.
dropped 1 more lb this week and down to 213.  

Mother fuckers skipping breakfast and calling it fasting. Millennials. (Saw that on facebook, not really directed at anyone here.)

6 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Mother fuckers skipping breakfast and calling it fasting. Millennials. (Saw that on facebook, not really directed at anyone here.)

Exactly.  I don't even consider 16:8 fasting anymore.  That was just my normal day.  I got fat as hell on 16:8.  It ain't fasting until it's OMAD and beyond.

I haven't posted in this thread, but back in 2017, I resolved (and successfully completed) the 10,000 Burpee Challenge, and also made some changes to my eating habits.

I've fallen into slightly less mindful habits over the past few months, but have generally settled into the 174-176 range. I'd prefer to be about 170, but given that I am not really depriving myself of much (though I still often try to exercise moderation), I'll take it.

Anyway, when I posted in this thread on the old site to show my most dramatic progress, someone looked at my trajectory and plotted it over time, ultimately determining that I would blink out of existence on July 19, 2019.

So if you don't hear from me after tomorrow, you guys will know what happened.

17ee939e51b56ee94f5c9da17143a2ec.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 2:38 PM, Storm the Field said:

Have settled into a pretty strong gym routine. Been almost every single weekday since this post and even the last two Saturdays.

I've also been pretty good about eating well and laying off the sauce during the week, but still have a bad habit of blowing it out all weekend. Net result being that I'm in much better "shape" (feel stronger and regained some muscle definition) than a month ago but only have dropped 3-4 lbs. Oh well.

I'm late to the party...been doing my own thing since last September and down about 60 lbs (285 to 225 - I'm 6'0") I've cut my body fat % from 43% to 21.2% at a check in on July 1, aiming to be under 20% by end of July. Here's some things I have learned:

1) My diet could best be described as some kind of lazy keto/paleo mix. I'm avoiding most anything processed. I try to focus on lean proteins, fresh vegetables (cooked in a variety of ways), some fruit a couple days a week, and very limited on grains. I don't do wheat anything because I found out I had Celiac's last year. Ultimately, I eat more and feel better putting clean stuff in my body.

2) Limited/moderate drinking consists of the occassional bourbon or vodka, sometimes with soda water and lime.

3) Avoidance of sugar is key for me. Just spurs all kinds of crazy cravings. If I'm dying for something sweet, I'll try some fruit. I have a horrid sweet tooth.

4) Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. It's the prime carrier of toxins and other yuck out of your body.

5) I'm doing 3-4 hours a week of Camp Gladiator, which was tough to start but has become a drug for me. There's tons of different fitness options, getting out and doing something/anything is a key part of transforming your body.

6) Specifically to address the quoted point above, after starting exercise, I lost 10 pounds quickly and then gained 4-5 pounds that stuck around for about a month. But my victories were not happening on the scale. They were happening on my measurements. You're going to gain a little muscle weight when you start working out, don't get frustrated.

Before I got serious after visiting my doctor last August and having her inform me I was pre-diabetic, my blood pressure was not coming down despite taking 3 different medications, and she was going to drop some vague and frightening hammer on me if I didn't make some wholesale changes.

I've been over 250 lbs since my freshman year of college and have struggled with diet and exercise my whole adult life. The key for me has been finding something sustainable and relatively enjoyable that becomes a life change instead of a 30, 60, or 90 day challenge.

I salute all of you for committing yourselves to do better and be better!

TL:DR// Find a healthy eating regimen that works for you, exercise, and hydrate.

• Like 5

On 7/18/2019 at 2:20 PM, pearlandhorn said:

Just replaced a big portion of my fat intake with carbs.  It all really boils down to Calories in/Calories out.  I didn't gain a single pound when I started eating sweet potatoes or other carbs over fats.  My activity level actually increased as I was able to go to the gym more often and lift more weight. Once again, I'm reiterating that I don't eat processed sugars (refined carbs).  I eat good carbs like sweet potatoes, tortillas, beans, veggies, etc.  I don't really eat fruit because of the sugar content but will probably venture back in to that realm eventually.

You're 210 at 6'7"?  That's pretty lean man.

Are you feeling better throughout the day and not just at the gym after going back to more carbs? This past week is the first time in 6 months that I went off keto and I've found myself more lethargic and irritable. My mood is overall just worse. Not drastically where I'm pissed off all the time, just a little more on edge, which mostly went away with keto. 

My excercise has been the same, so I assume my mood changing is strictly the diet change. I don't really know the difference in good carbs and bad carbs though, and I've been eating all sorts of bread and desserts for a week, so I'm sure that's screwing me up some too. 

10 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Are you feeling better throughout the day and not just at the gym after going back to more carbs? This past week is the first time in 6 months that I went off keto and I've found myself more lethargic and irritable. My mood is overall just worse. Not drastically where I'm pissed off all the time, just a little more on edge, which mostly went away with keto. 

My excercise has been the same, so I assume my mood changing is strictly the diet change. I don't really know the difference in good carbs and bad carbs though, and I've been eating all sorts of bread and desserts for a week, so I'm sure that's screwing me up some too. 

Yes, I’m feeling better throughout the day. I avoid processed carbs. Just google “healthy carbs”. On a nutrition label, it shows your how many carbs are from sugar. Anything that gets the majority of its carbs from sugar content, I avoid. This includes desserts, candy, etc. I eat quite a bit of fresh veggies including rice, quinoa, spinach.

Youre probably feeling like lethargic and irritable from the sugar. But that’s my thought.

13 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

I bought size Large polos this weekend. I have not worn a large polo in years. Sitting around 205 - 207.

I started on Keto January of last year and was wearing a 3X at the time just because I can't stand shirts that are tight across my gut, I'm not a 3X in any other way. Today I'm looking at XL shirts because even the 2X's are just hanging on me. Tried to pull my belt up tighter today because the pants I bought a few months back are getting loose already and there were no more notches in the belt that I bought last year. Time to spend some money I guess. Yay me? ;) 

I weighed in at 216.4 this morning. Goal for the year was to get under 215 at the evening weigh-in, right now I'm hitting 218-ish most days. I figure by mid-September if nothing changes I'll be at my goal weight and will have lost 18 pounds since January of this year (started at 233). That gives me October, November and December to crush it and roll into next year aiming for something under 200. Could be getting ahead of myself here, lol.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Them's fighting words around here, but really you're right.

True, though at the beginning of keto it doesn't really matter, you lose water weight first quickly. You then lose a good amount after that, but long term keto, or anything, calories matter. I lost about 50 pounds not worrying about calories, then 25 since where calories mattered. Now looking to lose the last 10 or so, and really watching calories for sure. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

True, though at the beginning of keto it doesn't really matter, you lose water weight first quickly. You then lose a good amount after that, but long term keto, or anything, calories matter. I lost about 50 pounds not worrying about calories, then 25 since where calories mattered. Now looking to lose the last 10 or so, and really watching calories for sure. 

The easiest thing for me was adding in some pretty intensive workouts. The ms. and I hike 6 miles every Sunday and seeing my fitbit with 3,000 calories burned at the end of the day is so sweet. Cutting at 2,500 is so nice compared to 1,500. We'll do a 5k during the week once or twice and that'll give me a good 2K calories to play around with. 

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Counting calories is what took me from 205 to 193 honestly.

• Like 2

Day 19 update... just cause I haven't in a while. Still going somewhat strong.. gotta keep finding my motivation. Only 1 cheat day 2 weeks ago. Since then have stayed on track. Found out my scale wasn't calibrated correctly. So was only down around 8lbs after my 3 day fast instead of 14. But this morning I checked and down to 228 so down 12 in less than 3 weeks I'll take it. If I can motivate myself to run some I could likely get down to 225 this week.. but the big accomplishment was going into the 3rd belt hole this morning. Down another notch. 
I need to start cooking some more now, already tired of lettuce wrapped burgers. Need to finish up all the fruit in the house and stop nibbling on that, carbs add up too quick.

Still not drinking either.. might break that on wed for a wine tasting though.. haven't decided. I've given my body 2 weeks now of recovery. Is that enough for the recovery of the last few years of heavy drinking and obesity? Nope.. but it's a start and dry red wine is at least not crab heavy like my beers i drink.. 

Edited by msudawg
  • Like 1

Checking in.  Went to the Valley over the weekend and ate poorly.  Gained a bunch of bloat.  I'm losing it quickly, though.  I'm 39 hours into a soft dry fast.  I'll probably drink something around the 46 hour mark so I can take a pill.

Plan on fasting from food till Saturday.  I'm not going out of town, so hopefully I can make better choices at home.  Then start another 5-day fast on Monday.

• Like 1

Hit my weight goal of 205. Not sure if I will lose more or where I will end up, as workouts / muscle mass will determine that. For now, I’m using the scale for curiosity instead of a goal.
Next goal is 34” waist / some semblance of a 6 pack.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Hit my weight goal of 205. Not sure if I will lose more or where I will end up, as workouts / muscle mass will determine that. For now, I’m using the scale for curiosity instead of a goal.
Next goal is 34” waist / some semblance of a 6 pack.

Nice!  I started adding back some carbs last week.  Went on vacation and tried some honest to God desserts for the first time in a while.  started adding back in stuff like rice and beans.  Ate some naan bread and stuff like that.  Not huge amounts, but maybe 1/3 of serving.  So far it has me leveled off around 213 or so (from a low of 210).  My appetite has picked back up since i started adding in some carbs and I 'feel' more hungry than when full on keto.  Have to see how that goes.  

Broke the dry fast at 56 hours.

Total fast is at 67 hours.

I'm breaking it soon.  I'll make a Keto casserole and a broccoli side dish.  Friday night I may have a ribeye and zucchini.  Saturday I'm going to Kreuz.  I'm sure to get some carbs with the sauce (those pork belly burnt ends are really good), but I'll avoid the bread and drink unsweet tea.  I'm not sure about Sunday. 

I feel like that's such a ton of food, but I'm going to try and stay OMAD and Keto.  Next fast starts Monday morning.

I  know 2-3 pounds don't make a shit in the big scheme of things but I thought I'd had a good week this week, really stuck to the plan etc... Got on the scale a little while ago and I see 219.4. WTF? Lol. I've been edging closer and closer to 215 all week! It doesn't take much water to do that so I'm not worried about it but still...C'mon man!!

• Like 1

72 hours in to my latest Keto phase.  Other than the trace amount of carbs found in chz, beef jerky, pork rinds, and cucumber water, I haven't had a carb since Tuesday afternoon.

I did a bike trainer workout earlier today and thought I was going to die afterwords.  I suppose my body isn't used to doing this w/o carbs.  I don't have much of an appetite, so I'm also doing a pretty good job of controlling calories straight up.  I'd like to see if I can get under 200 over the next 9 days.  I'm at 205 right now.

• Like 1

God I/we fell off the wagon so hard the last two months. Already planned two hard core keto weeks starting tomorrow but after cinnamon roll French toast in PV this morning it’s a confirmed done deal. I’m back at plus 15-20 lbs and I was 5-10 lbs from a flat tummy. Time to start over. Ugh.

On 7/16/2019 at 8:12 AM, Zepol87 said:

I definitely need to get my heartburn down. Started 2 years ago and fucking kills me almost daily. 

Get that checked with a gastroenterologist or even a primary care doc.  Some of their tests include a stomach scope but not treating it correctly could lead to permanent damage.  Go google esophageal cancer if you want to scare yourself.   Yes, heartburn/acid reflux can be an early sign.

Treatment with the right drugs can eliminate a lot of the damage you’ve done.  I speak from experience. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Get that checked with a gastroenterologist or even a primary care doc.  Some of their tests include a stomach scope but not treating it correctly could lead to permanent damage.  Go google esophageal cancer if you want to scare yourself.   Yes, heartburn/acid reflux can be an early sign.

Treatment with the right drugs can eliminate a lot of the damage you’ve done.  I speak from experience. 

My acid reflux went away when my diet changed. I rarely get it any more (once every 3 months or so)

Does anyone know how to properly reconcile keto with sports?   

I bike and play soccer.  I bonk at around 35-45 mins when cycling.  This morning I had a soccer scrimmage and really started struggling energy-wise after about 30 mins.  Additionally, I've come straight home and passed out after each workout.  No pain or anything; just complete and utter exhaustion.

• Like 1

Been reading up on it.  Keto is good for some things; not so much for soccer and cycling.  I'm only about 4 lbs from my target weight (got down to 202.8 this morning), so I'll probably get rid of the last few pounds and then switch to something just lower-carb.

The other thing you may look into is your nutrition on your ride. Hit some bars early in the morning before heading out. Eat a bit more on your ride and stay up on calories. Also, have a good hydrate in your bottles with good sugars (not gatoraid).

I bike and play soccer.  I bonk at around 35-45 mins when cycling.  This morning I had a soccer scrimmage and really started struggling energy-wise after about 30 mins.  Additionally, I've come straight home and passed out after each workout.  No pain or anything; just complete and utter exhaustion.

I can’t. I eat carbs the night before and during my tennis matches. Peak performance probably does require them but others swear not. What I desperately try to avoid is carbs after matches and practice.

And my current status ... 24 hours hard core... let’s get back on it!
  • Like 1

Just an FYI for those considering keto.  I'm almost a week in.

Positives:

1) You'll lose weight rather quickly.  Granted, it's mostly water but, whatevs.  I'm down around 7 lbs for the week but part of that is because I do tempo biking for 1-2 hours a day.

2) You'll lose your appetite.  It's not a feeling of nausea or aversion to food.  You just don't really feel hungry.

3) I've had almost no cravings.  It's not like when you're on a regular diet and you can't resist the pie in front of you.  I just generally don't have much of a desire for anything other than what I'm supposed to be eating.  Note:  I have no idea how y'all fasters do what you do. 

Negatives:

1) Keto flu.  I've heard this is a multi-day thing.  I haven't felt sick or sore or anything.  I have felt extra tired.

2) Eating some of the same stuff gets old.  When you first go shopping and are filling up the basket with beef jerky, eggs, cheese, etc... it's all good...until you have to eat the same shit over and over.  I've mixed it up a bit, but it still feels blah.

chorizo scrambled eggs - good

pizza with a crust made of mozzarella chz and eggs - surprisingly good

brussel sprouts baked in olive oil with parmesan - meh

Diet Coke with Splenda has 0 carbs.  That's helped.

3) As previously mentioned, if you do any type of team or endurance sport, it's not going to work well.  

Just thought I'd add some info in case some of y'all were considering it.

9 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

From what I gather, you have to make it to the 1-2 month mark and be fully fat-adapted in order to function normally (or better) while doing endurance activities. There seems to be a lot about this in the keto subreddits and I think Mark Sisson, Peter Attia, et al have touched upon this topic too, especially Attia.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, troph said:

Yeah food becomes super boring, surprisingly so.

i have not really run into that, but only been doing keto since the start of May.  I find I can eat more variety and more 'unhealthy' stuff than I did when trying to diet before.

snacks: dip pork rinds into egg salad or  pimento cheese; olives, almonds and cheese.  Can also use the baked cheese rounds as chips.  Choc Zero is so damn good.  also I love the Magic Spoon cereal.  It tastes and crunches like real cereal.  Just use half and half instead in milk (1g of carbs).

Lunch is Whataburger avacado bacon burger (sans bun), Vietnamese food:  pho (sub noodles for long cut cabbage), grilled pork vermicelli (sub noodles for greens), salad with real non fat dressing and pilling on cheese, bacon bits and whatever meat.  BBQ easy on the sauce.  skin-on roasted chicken.

pork rinds and salsa kinda sucks though.  Just not the same as a good corn chip.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gyroprotagonist said:

i have not really run into that, but only been doing keto since the start of May.  I find I can eat more variety and more 'unhealthy' stuff than I did when trying to diet before.

snacks: dip pork rinds into egg salad or  pimento cheese; olives, almonds and cheese.  Can also use the baked cheese rounds as chips.  Choc Zero is so damn good.  also I love the Magic Spoon cereal.  It tastes and crunches like real cereal.  Just use half and half instead in milk (1g of carbs).

Lunch is Whataburger avacado bacon burger (sans bun), Vietnamese food:  pho (sub noodles for long cut cabbage), grilled pork vermicelli (sub noodles for greens), salad with real non fat dressing and pilling on cheese, bacon bits and whatever meat.  BBQ easy on the sauce.  skin-on roasted chicken.

pork rinds and salsa kinda sucks though.  Just not the same as a good corn chip.  

LOL.  I took pork rinds to a Mexican restaurant this past Saturday thinking they'd be a good sub for tortilla chips.  Disgusting with salsa; passable with the queso.

I've found that I just can't do hamburgers without buns.  I've tried no bun, lettuce wraps, cheese wraps, etc...

I will say that I've always been a pickier eater than most, so my own experiences with being finicky are prob different than most.

4 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

LOL.  I took pork rinds to a Mexican restaurant this past Saturday thinking they'd be a good sub for tortilla chips.  Disgusting with salsa; passable with the queso.

I've found that I just can't do hamburgers without buns.  I've tried no bun, lettuce wraps, cheese wraps, etc...

I will say that I've always been a pickier eater than most, so my own experiences with being finicky are prob different than most.

for me I hit the wall at about 4-6 weeks then I just turn on the lettuce wraps and the keto crusts for pizza or pork rinds for dips.  but I could do much better I'm sure.

My month of July

Started fasting July 8.  I did 5 fasts for 328.5 total hours (13.5 days).

I lost 15.6 lbs.

I ate last night, and immediately started my next fast which will be about 55 hours.  I'll eat, then start a 72+ hour fast.  I'll try to do this through August and see how much I lose.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

My month of July

Started fasting July 8.  I did 5 fasts for 328.5 total hours (13.5 days).

I lost 15.6 lbs.

I ate last night, and immediately started my next fast which will be about 55 hours.  I'll eat, then start a 72+ hour fast.  I'll try to do this through August and see how much I lose.

Have you done keto w/o fasting?  Just curious.  These long fasts seem like a beating.  Those are great results, but could you get similar results with just eating every day but staying under 20g of carbs?  congrats on the losses so far!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Have you done keto w/o fasting?  Just curious.  These long fasts seem like a beating.  Those are great results, but could you get similar results with just eating every day but staying under 20g of carbs?  congrats on the losses so far!

There were weekends that I most certainly did not eat Keto.  July 19-22 was a really bad one.  Otherwise it's been pretty low-carb.

Yes, you'll get results eating Keto everyday.  I did in 2018.  But even then, I ate 2 meals a day, at most.  Keto naturally steered me toward one meal a day.  My extended fasts aren't a beating at all.  They can get harder after 120 hours, but that's because I get heartburn.  Not everyone does.  That's part of the reason I'm concentrating on shorter fasts, but smaller feeding windows this month.

Keto + IF will get you great results.  It's a fasting-mimicking diet.  I'm just trying to skip the mimicking part and do fasting.

August is going well.  Not losing quite as fast, but still steady.  I've lost almost 4 lbs since my August 1 post with July results.  I ate Wednesday morning after work.  And before that I ate Saturday & Sunday.  I only gained 1.4 after that weekend of non-Keto eating.  In July I was gaining like 7 lbs after a weekend of eating, so that's a positive.

I'm 39 hours into my current fast.  I'll break it Saturday.  Then fast till Tuesday evening.  I'm not sure what the length of my fast after Tuesday will be.  I'm not being super strict on the duration other than shooting for at least 55 hours. 

I'm toying with the idea of going OMAW for a couple months to really amp up the weigh loss.  Not sure I can do it.

Edited by Longhorn Al
  • Like 1