2019 Body Transformation Thread

I've been introducing more carbs back into the diet.  carbs like beans, potatoes and snap peas; naan bread and corn torts.  and some just sugar crap like ice cream and frozen margs.  Granted, I'm not pigging out on this stuff, but it has not really had a huge impact on my weight.  Still clocking in right at 210 for the last 2 weeks or so.

Going on vacation for a week and fully expect to gain some weight.  

15 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

August is going well.  Not losing quite as fast, but still steady.  I've lost almost 4 lbs since my August 1 post with July results.  I ate Wednesday morning after work.  And before that I ate Saturday & Sunday.  I only gained 1.4 after that weekend of non-Keto eating.  In July I was gaining like 7 lbs after a weekend of eating, so that's a positive.

I'm 39 hours into my current fast.  I'll break it Saturday.  Then fast till Tuesday evening.  I'm not sure what the length of my fast after Tuesday will be.  I'm not being super strict on the duration other than shooting for at least 55 hours. 

I'm toying with the idea of going OMAW for a couple months to really amp up the weigh loss.  Not sure I can do it.

What's your overall change since you started this?  if i recall correctly you wanted to lose quite a bit when you started and also had some metabolic issues you were working through.

Keep on keepin' on!!

Here's my progress so far...

In about Jan 2018, I was at my heaviest at 222 lbs and I’m about 6’2” and carry it pretty well.  I’m also 40 years old.  I’d guess I was at about 28% body fat or so.  I lost about about 20 lbs in a month or two with most of it on the Whole30 diet, which was a really difficult diet to do.

I kept that weight off for most of the year (2018), but put on a few pounds in Feb 2019, when I got sent to Key West for work for two weeks.  So, in April 2019, I was probably around 210 and around 24% body fat.

In April 2019, I decided to take a month off drinking and, after a week, realized that I should also be dieting while I was at it.  I did Keto for a month and lost about 10 lbs, to around 200 lbs and 20-22% body fat.  Keto was fine for a short duration, quick loss, but I don’t really think it’d be great for an active person for long periods.

Through all of the above periods, I went to the gym and did my normal old routine where I supersetted alternating muscles and used reps of around 8-10 for three sets.  I’d also occasionally run.  During non-diet times, I’d mostly eat whatever I want.  Mostly drank on the weekends.

At about 1 month into Keto, I decided to really focus on losing body fat percentage.  I started reading www.muscleforlife.com and doing heavy compound lifting.  I also switched my diet to his cutting plan.  I eat about 2100 calories during the week (M-Th) and about 200g or more of protein all days of the week.  I don’t really diet in any other way.  On the weekends, I eat more liberally and usually drink in Fri and/or Saturday and get to about 3000 or more calories and Sunday I usually end up around 2600.  I lift heavy weights 4-5 times per week and run maybe 3-5 miles on Saturday, if I can.

I got measured yesterday afternoon at 190 lbs and 14% body fat.  In the mornings, I’m around 188 lbs and dropping.  I have a vacation to Spain in about a month and want to get to 10-12% body fat before I go.

TLDR- I lost about 30 lbs and 14% body fat over a 2 years in total, but all of it was in periods of diet and/or focused exercise planning.  Heavy weightlifting and macro counting protein works best.  I recommend www.muscleforlife.com...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update/refresher... I went Keto-ish January of last year and lost ~30 lbs. Went from 260 down to 233. Set a weight loss goal of 18 pounds for this year, wanting to get down to 215 and figured last years total would be hard to reproduce just because of age and diminishing returns. Hit the scale at 210.7 this morning. Afternoon weight will be more but I think with 4 months left I may match last years total weight loss. 

• Like 4

I was keto for 5 months and lost 20, almost all of that in the first 2 months. I went off the rails for 4 weeks and put on maybe 7 or 8 pounds. No biggie. I was basically eating everything I wanted, including a lot of sweets. Been back on keto for a full week and haven't dropped a pound. Same every morning. I've been exercising the same and been below 20 grams of carbs everyday. No sugar.

So what gives? Does my body just need some more time to kick back into fat burning mode? 

• Like 1

My long term update: Lost 92 lbs. as documented in the 2018 thread. Went from 324 tom 232. Then went off the rails completely. Not sure how much I gained back. Sitting at 256 lbs. now and the pendulum is swinging back in the right direction. Want to get back 232 and beyond. I was 210 when I moved into The Castilian in 1987. Have not been that weight since. 6’5” and 50yo.  

Bernard

• Like 1

Just got home from my 6 month checkup. According to the scales at the doc's office I'm down 22 pounds for the year, I clocked in at 212! Fuck YES! BP was 115/68. Glucose was 103 (mine has never, ever been under 100). Bad cholesterol was down (not there yet on that one but it's dropped every visit since I started Keto). Happy, happy! For a guy turning 59 next week and who nearly drank hisself to death I'm feeling pretty damn good right now. For those keeping score at home I started this dealio at 260 January of last year. 

Edited by El Diablo
numbers
  • Like 5

Just an FYI for those watching carbs and don't know about Whisps cheese crisps, they are a great snack. The parmesan and asiago and pepper jack are my favorites. All are good.

https://www.whisps.com/

Not cheap but good. Also these cheese tortilla things are good for tacos and what not. Just a few seconds in the microwave though.

8 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:
12 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:
Just an FYI for those watching carbs and don't know about Whisps cheese crisps, they are a great snack. The parmesan and asiago and pepper jack are my favorites. All are good.

Read more  

Not cheap but good. Also these cheese tortilla things are good for tacos and what not. Just a few seconds in the microwave though.

Which cheese tortillas? Been wondering about those

so after a week in Hawaii where i probably had about 30 mai tais, tons of high cal beers and splurged on serveral deserts (chocolate, bread pudding, ice cream, dole whips) the damage was not too bad. gained about 4 lbs when i got back on the scale at home.  Still did not eat bread/buns or rolls but did have a slice or two of pizza.  The biggest damage is I am still craving sugary treats a week later and had to steer clear of the junk food aisle at the store or i might have caved. 

Got right back into a keto type diet and pretty much back to normal and back under 210lbs again today.

Keep up the good work, gents

• Like 2

Got back from a week in Colorado and I’m finally getting over an upper respiratory infection. Was active and lifted at the condo gym (dumbbells only). I lost 3 pounds. I’m now at 188. Ate well (pizza, burgers). I need to up my calories. I don’t really want to lose more weight. Strength is the same though as it was a month ago.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:48 PM, BBQ2Bayou said:

I use this on my salads as a substitute for crutons. They're so good.

When I don't want to cook, my lazy meal is a whataburger with cheese, bacon, and jalapenos, sans bun. They give it to you on this little platter, so I eat the burger like a Salisbury steak, then go to the fridge and pull out some zero sugar italian dressing, some black olives, and crush up some whisps cheese crisps (I use the tomato basil ones) and throw it all together. Pretty decent salad for something that was originally just burger filler. I like doing this, because it helps me hit my greens intake for the day, which is necessary to avoid "lazy/dirty keto."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

I've never heard of tracking your center of balance for workout/weight loss purposes. Is this a big factor? 

I dont think a big factor, no. The wii fitness app is sort of a general fitness app, so it tries to do all sort of things to improve your body. Every day it gives a small tip about how what you are doing helps, or some other advice. Like last night, it told me to remember to brush my teeth before going to bed, haha. once it said having better balance improves weight loss, but didnt go into detail. Most of the tips about balance are about how it'll reduce back pain and joint aches later in life. 

11 hours ago, BigXII said:

Back in June, my doctor told me I needed to completely change my diet and start exercising because I was very very boarderline diabetic. He suggested I try Keto, not for weight loss, but to improve my blood sugar. We agreed that going until my birthday, September 7th, would be a good trial for a Keto diet.

I took to it earnestly, trying my hardest on the diet, with no expectations for how much weight to lose. Maybe, if I was lucky, I could lose 20 lbs overall. If I'd done that, I would be ecstatic.

I took up running and yoga. Every day, rain or shine, run 2 miles with my dog plus walk another 3. Cut out all sugars in my diet (obviously) and haven't cheated. I got a nintendo Wii fit to help me track my weight loss, it comes with a digital scale that doubles as a work out board and also a pedometer that can measure things like air pressure, temperature, etc in the calculations. Because of the work out board, Wii Fit started telling me that my balance was very off, I leaned 15% to the left, and that poor balance would inhibit working out correctly and thus slow weight loss, so it would have me do these daily yoga routines to strengthen my core.

It's been almost 3 months to the day now. Saturday is my birthday.

I lost 50 lbs.

EDlaEq-XUAAyDn6?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I went from 230 lbs, to 179 lbs in 3 months. 50 fucking pounds in 3 months. I hit the so-called Keto plateau about a month in, which is when I started really running hard to try and break through, and just kept on losing. I've eaten so many chicken wings, and crock pot chili, and broccoli that I don't think I can look at that stuff again for a long while. But I lost weight. I noticed a bunch of huge changes in my life:

- My Sleep Apnea is cured. I no longer snore.

- My Doctor says I'm no longer at risk for diabetes, I have "cured" myself and my body has "healed" itself

- I can fit into clothes from highschool again

- I no longer get heartburn (I used to have chronic heartburn)

- I am way, way more alert and sleep better (likely because of the sleep apnea)

On top of all that, on monday, when I did my body test, it reported that I was 0.2% off center in my balance. I do my body test every day at about 8 pm after running, so I was hoping that today would be the day I fixed my balance issues, and sure enough:

EDlYrevXoAALjjj?format=jpg&name=4096x409

When I checked my Wii today, because I had hit my goal, it played this little animation. When you weigh yourself, you have to hold this tablet in your hands in a yoga position, and doing so lets it take a picture of your face. It does so every day. So, to celebrate reaching this milestone, it played back all my pics from the last 3 months in rapid fire so I could actually see my face slim down. It got very dusty in the room.

I wanted this so badly. I went in with low expectations of weight loss to shield myself from failure, and blew my damn expectations out of the water. I'm still not done, I want to lose another 15 or so lbs, at which point I'll be the perfect weight for my age and height. But right now... this feels very, very good. I haven't felt this good about myself in a LONG time.

Going to Austin this saturday to watch Texas beat LSU. Then I'm gonna hit the bars for the first time in a very long time with confidence. 3 months changed my life.

Great job! 

On 9/4/2019 at 6:52 AM, pearlandhorn said:

Whoa. Good job @BigXII.

seriously nicely done. 50 pounds in 3 months starting at 230 is very very impressive. Don’t freak out if you gain 5 pounds this weekend 😉

Boy you weren't kidding, I gained 6 lbs this weekend, haha. Time to hit it hard again.

I guess I have to join this thread... Been on keto since Aug 1 and gone from 241 to 226 today.

My question is how low do I want to go? I played at 220 in college and accept i won't get in that level of shape body fat percentage wise now at 40. At 6" 1, my frame never matched up with classic expected BMI  calculations, but I'm worried going below 210.

Any advice beyond the do what feels good body wise or consult your Dr?

Edited by Laxtonto
  • Like 1

I guess I have to join this thread... Been on keto since Aug 1 and gone from 241 to 226 today.

My question is how low do I want to go? I played at 220 in college and accept i won't get in that level of shape body fat percentage wise now at 40. At 6" 1, my frame never matched up with classic expected BMI  calculations, but I'm worried going below 210.

I hit my goal of 199. From here, I have no idea where I will stay weight wise. I have weight lifting / exercise goals to reach and that might push me back to 210 or I could end up 185. I really have no clue. I’m more concerned now with how clothes fit and fitness levels. If your happy at 210 and your fitness, then, you’re good at 210.

18 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

I’m 6’2” and 188. I think I’ve filled out well hitting the gym hard the last year. I don’t feel like I look like I’m in the 180s though. I probably look 200/205. You’d be surprised at how good you feel in the 190s.

18 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

I’m 6’2” and 188. I think I’ve filled out well hitting the gym hard the last year. I don’t feel like I look like I’m in the 180s though. I probably look 200/205. You’d be surprised at how good you feel in the 190s.

On 9/14/2019 at 1:26 PM, Laxtonto said:

i'm 6'7'' and got down to 205.  I am not 'big boned' (or big muscled) but that was a little too low for me, so working back up to 210 or so.  

I am here to ask about anyone's thoughts on a 16:8 fasting routine.  To me, it's not much of a routine because even before this, most of my eating was between 12 and 8 pm.  But it strikes me as a good way to lock in the discipline of avoiding snacks/try to make sure you get your eight hours.

Edited by tantric superman

I am here to ask about anyone's thoughts on a 16:8 fasting routine.  To me, it's not much of a routine because even before this, most of my eating was between 12 and 8 pm.  But it strikes me as a good way to lock in the discipline of avoiding snacks/try to make sure you get your eight hours.

I like doing the 16/8 myself. I usually skip breakfast anyway, so it was not a huge change either. I felt like it got me thinking less about that mid-morning/post evening meal snack. I also throw in a day of 20/4 each week, or I just skip a day of consuming calories.

Just checking in, down to 208-ish now depending on time of day. I don't completely trust my home digital scale but it's probably close enough. That's pretty much 25 for the year with 3 months left. Goal for the year was *only* 18 lbs so this is all house money. 52 lbs lost since last January.

Find something that works and keep at it. It's going to take time but it WILL happen.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Just checking in, how y'all doing? I've stalled again. It seems that my body has been craving carbs for the last few weeks and I've allowed it to have a few. Well, more than a few. Pizza one weekend, a jar of peanut butter over the course of a week or so... No weight gain but no loss either. I think the body knows what it needs, at times. Like it's some circadian response to start storing for the coming winter or something. Anyway I also think it's a bit like taking a male dog for a walk. He's going to want to piss on every bush that he passes. Let him piddle on a few but at some point you have to pull the leash and get back to walking. So this past weekend I pulled the leash and am back on the Keto train. Will report back.

On 10/9/2019 at 7:05 AM, Goofyboy said:

Doing well. Weight loss has slowed. My range is 198 - 201. That said, I’ve lost 3.5” from my waist in 3 months - 39in currently. I’m in a health challenge that ends in 24 days. My goal is 38” by the end.

Keep up the good work folks.

Are you really short? 39 inch waist at 200 pounds seems large to me. I'm only 5 10 and around 200 and wear a 36 right now. I went up to a 38 for a while, but I was 215. 

Are you really short? 39 inch waist at 200 pounds seems large to me. I'm only 5 10 and around 200 and wear a 36 right now. I went up to a 38 for a while, but I was 215. 

Pants are a 34 / 35 depending on the style / cut. Your true waist measured around your belly button is where I’m measuring 38 inches this morning. 44” chest. I’m 5’9”, so average.

12 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Pants are a 34 / 35 depending on the style / cut. Your true waist measured around your belly button is where I’m measuring 38 inches this morning. 44” chest. I’m 5’9”, so average.

Oh I gotcha. I've never measured that way. 

• Like 1