2019 Body Transformation Thread

8 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

I’m guessing it’s fluid. I’ve just been eating less and cutting carbs. I’ve had a couple of days where I’ve eaten late, more than normal or more carbs than normal. I’m not on any particular diet.

Who knows. But I’ll be danged, I’ve got every intention of losing 30lbs this year. I know once summer time rolls up it will be easier, because I’m not a fan of going to the track when it’s 35 out.

I'm such a pussy when it comes to not going outside to get some exercise because the weather isn't perfect. I've become a soft, old man. Hard for me to fathom because I was a balls to the wall, never a moment of rest, always in motion type when I was younger. Oof. Getting my ass to the gym on a daily basis is my attempt to restart the engine. We'll see how I do come spring. Maybe (hopefully?) I'll get into enough of a habit that it will carry me thru next winter. 

I hit the first stage of my goal this morning. I've dropped 10 lbs, down to 199, something I wanted to do by the end of January (a solid 0 days to spare). My progress slowed the last 7-10 days, so this week I redoubled my efforts to avoid bread/pasta/rice, allowing me to knock out the last couple pounds. First time I've been under 200 lbs since early in the summer. Not everything in my closet fits again, but I'm no longer on the verge of needing a bunch of new clothes. I want to drop at least another 10, preferably 20+, but I feel good about the progress so far.

Edited by drewlaws
  • Like 4

Last day of January check-in:

1/2: 201

1/31: 191

I would have liked to reach 189.9 or less by today, but I'm not gonna be upset with losing 10 lbs in 29 days.

I fared OK on my first ever attempt at a Dry January. Drank only twice since starting on the 2nd. Once for a buddy's birthday dinner on 1/12, and next at a client happy hour/dinner on 1/24.

Looking back, that's the least I've drank in a month and probably longest I've gone between drinks since I was in High School.

Goal for February is to just keep eating right and exercising and to not fall back into drinking 4 nights a week. Aiming for 185 and moving down another belt hole by the time March rolls around. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, troph said:

Different workouts (not heavy weights more high rep) and hormones etc but I think I’ve gained about 5 lbs of muscle in a year. Maybe up to 7 but no way more than that. And I work out 10-12 hours a week all high intensity / competitive. I can’t imagine a middle aged but dedicated man is going to gain 25 lbs a year. That seems crazy.

Absolutely. That article is talking ideal situations. 

When people fluctuate on their weight loss and wonder, "Am I putting on muscle?" The answer is almost certainly "No."

44 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Last day of January check-in:

1/2: 201

1/31: 191

I would have liked to reach 189.9 or less by today, but I'm not gonna be upset with losing 10 lbs in 29 days.

I fared OK on my first ever attempt at a Dry January. Drank only twice since starting on the 2nd. Once for a buddy's birthday dinner on 1/12, and next at a client happy hour/dinner on 1/24.

Looking back, that's the least I've drank in a month and probably longest I've gone between drinks since I was in High School.

Goal for February is to just keep eating right and exercising and to not fall back into drinking 4 nights a week. Aiming for 185 and moving down another belt hole by the time March rolls around. 

Ketones and such be damned, cutting out booze is a fast track to burning fat and looking better in the mirror. Caveat being to not replace the alcohol sugars with other sugars (I definitely crave empty carbs more when I'm off the alcohol). 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Ketones and such be damned, cutting out booze is a fast track to burning fat and looking better in the mirror. Caveat being to not replace the alcohol sugars with other sugars (I definitely crave empty carbs more when I'm off the alcohol). 

This right here.  I've never done keto, but have been on a super low carb/high fat/high protein diet the past few years, and hit the weight room hard.  But I can't burn that last bit of fat for vanity sake (yeah, I'm 44, so I've been a little vain, and the mirror and I are friends) unless I take a break from alcohol.  I usually do a dry January, which not surprisingly is when I look my best, but that's about to end.  And the fat starts to creep back during summer vacations and football season.  

I'm 117 hours fasted and finally lost the 5 pounds I gained Saturday on my big re-feed.  I've actually lost 6 lbs so far, so I'm down a pound.  I have another 24 hours to fast.  Hopefully I can lose 1 or 2 more because I will definitely gain this weekend.

I'm pretty sure I'm holding onto water this go around even though I'm waking up with dry mouth.  It's that phenomenon where the body replaces the burned fat in the cells with water.  Eventually that will be evacuated.

I'm eating Red Lobster to break the fast.  Broiled flounder with broccoli (extra butter), coconut shrimp app, and a biscuit or two.  I know I shouldn't eat the carbs, but these carbs are delicious.

Saturday: Kreuz brisket, sausage, burnt ends, pork ribs

Super Bowl Sunday: Fathead pizza, burger patty w/ bleu cheese & bacon, pork rinds & ranch dip for snacking.

Starting Monday, I will attempt my longest fast.  I've done 7 days twice.  I want to hit 10 days this time.  If I feel good at 10, I may try 14.

I'm down 31 for January with a chance to hit 32 or 33 by tonight.

Edited by Longhorn Al
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I've switched it up a tad.  No longer going full keto.  I'm down to 208; want 198, but in no hurry.  I'm going very low carb, more exercise, no 12 packs on the weekend, and fewer calories.

You will probably gain 5 pounds back right away, but it's just water weight. 

• Like 1

This is in the complete opposite direction of what Keto is supposed to be - but is anyone a fan of juices? Like fresh pressed, vegetable/fruit juices. Not talking tropicana. 

If I'm trying to atone for calories the night before or plan ahead for calories that night, sometimes I'll sub lunch with a juice. Good way to get your veggies and fruits and all that crap without having to plan meals around it, too. 

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This is in the complete opposite direction of what Keto is supposed to be - but is anyone a fan of juices? Like fresh pressed, vegetable/fruit juices. Not talking tropicana. 

If I'm trying to atone for calories the night before or plan ahead for calories that night, sometimes I'll sub lunch with a juice. Good way to get your veggies and fruits and all that crap without having to plan meals around it, too. 

23 minutes ago, Longhorn Al said:

That's... kind of interesting I guess. Fructose is actually processed by the small intestine though, not the liver. The liver only takes over when it is an excess amount. 

But like I said, it is more of a play to cut calories, tide me over, and get natural vitamins and minerals. Obviously if you are going low-carb or are diabetic it's not a reasonable decision. And I tend to avoid added sugars like the plague - some people do not.

Ketosis or no ketosis, low carb or not, it's always going to boil down to calories in vs. calories out as far as weight loss is concerned. Actual body composition is obviously different, but not all that different. 

46 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The last 2 weeks, I've picked a day mid-week to limit calories where I eat something like 2 scrambled eggs and 1/2 avocado in the morning (along with my usual morning coffee + keto creamer), have a 120 calorie/20 carb cold pressed fruit juice for lunch and then a regular low-carb dinner.

Both times I've weighed in about 2 lbs less the following day.

14 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

The last 2 weeks, I've picked a day mid-week to limit calories where I eat something like 2 scrambled eggs and 1/2 avocado in the morning (along with my usual morning coffee + keto creamer), have a 120 calorie/20 carb cold pressed fruit juice for lunch and then a regular low-carb dinner.

Both times I've weighed in about 2 lbs less the following day.

Interesting. I will say, I've found the healthier juices are unfortunately the shittier tasting ones (like the green-veggie heavy ones) and vice versa. It's pretty easy to tell what you're drinking.

It's also amazing what happens when you skip meals or EAT LESS. Emphasis on the EAT LESS part. 

I don’t do juices but I eat a lot of strawberries, blackberries and oranges. But I’m not keto just trying to stay away from processed carbs. I match these with some fat and protein to try and maintain level blood sugar. I use oranges right before or during a workout or tennis match.

52 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That's... kind of interesting I guess. Fructose is actually processed by the small intestine though, not the liver. The liver only takes over when it is an excess amount. 

But like I said, it is more of a play to cut calories, tide me over, and get natural vitamins and minerals. Obviously if you are going low-carb or are diabetic it's not a reasonable decision. And I tend to avoid added sugars like the plague - some people do not.

Ketosis or no ketosis, low carb or not, it's always going to boil down to calories in vs. calories out as far as weight loss is concerned. Actual body composition is obviously different, but not all that different. 

Interesting. I did a quick search and found this article about fructose and small intestine:  https://blog.bulletproof.com/small-intestine-processes-fructose/

10 minutes ago, Longhorn Al said:

Interesting. I did a quick search and found this article about fructose and small intestine:  https://blog.bulletproof.com/small-intestine-processes-fructose/

Yeah I read that too. Seems like more of an issue when you're consuming a shit ton of it, in the form of sodas or sweets or what have you (or juices with added sugars). 

A cup of pressed juice or an apple probably isn't making its way to the liver. 

That is an interesting article. I might move oranges to occasional. Though I wonder if a small mandarin orange is a problem? I don’t drink OJ or cokes - ever.

Now if I could just get my kids to wake up and realize I’m not their enemy. Sodas are. Ugh.

15 minutes ago, troph said:

I might move oranges to occasional. Though I wonder if a small mandarin orange is a problem? I don’t drink OJ or cokes - ever.

Nah not at all. And whole fruits have a lot of good things like fiber, minerals, vitamins, (water) in there despite the fructose. See my comment above - it's mostly an issue when consuming an excess amount of fructose - not a piece of fruit or an occasional juice without extra sugars added. 

• Like 1

1/3 - 255
1/31 - 244

No sodas, no potato chips, no bread since first post (that was my goal). Eating lots of protein. Still probably getting too many carbs, but I don't want to not be able to eat an orange or banana.

I fluctuate quite a bit and 243 had been the low that can't get under, but I'm trending in the right direction, and I do feel better.

Wish me luck.

• Like 4

I was juicing for a little while (BIG drink in the morning, small lunch, and normal dinner). I actually felt great. Lots of energy, but just couldn't keep up with it. Cleaning the juicer was pain.

16 hours ago, ztejas said:

This has always been assumed and it's the theory that I subscribe to BUT, and I have not done any research and am just going from what I've read posted here, Keto people have said that thru some trickery of the body that on a Keto diet the body will simply let excess fat pass thru undigested. That bypasses the "calories in/calories out" theory. No idea if it holds water or is just wishful thinking on their part.

• Like 1

The article states one glass of OJ is too much for the intestines and goes to the liver. They may be talking about an 8oz glass. They don't specify. I would guess the body could handle 4-6 oz.

I was looking at my little mandarin oranges and I just don’t see how you can get an 8 oz glass of OJ without squeezing out 4-6 of those things. I can see how a glass of OJ is seriously excessive.

What’s the thinking on supplements? I’m a sucker for a good review for micro nutrients, brain and energy stuff, all the anti aging and anti cancer raves. I used to take some but really can’t make heads or tails of it anymore. Bioavailable this, you don’t really need it if you eat well that. Seems like a mess of reviews and marketing shenanigans. Almost pulled the trigger on ritual today (ritual.com) until as I started to suspect the review articles are bought and paid for - and I don’t trust the comments on any commercial ads on FB.

2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

This has always been assumed and it's the theory that I subscribe to BUT, and I have not done any research and am just going from what I've read posted here, Keto people have said that thru some trickery of the body that on a Keto diet the body will simply let excess fat pass thru undigested. That bypasses the "calories in/calories out" theory. No idea if it holds water or is just wishful thinking on their part.

With Keto in the beginning, you don't have to focus on calories, you focus on getting into and staying in ketosis. But in the long run, it is still calories in/calories out. 

2 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

With Keto in the beginning, you don't have to focus on calories, you focus on getting into and staying in ketosis. But in the long run, it is still calories in/calories out. 

I know of at least two posters who have said that you cannot gain weight if you are on Keto/in ketosis, that calories in don't matter. I'm skeptical but they're convinced. 

You can gain weight on Keto.  Look up Keto Gains.  You can't just eat fat to your heart's content and not gain weight.  The reason people say you don't have to count calories is because in the beginning it doesn't matter.  It's more important to get through the first phase of breaking your dependence on carbs.  So eat all the fat you want.  After that phase, your body should be able to tell you to stop eating before you overeat fat.  Fat is very satiating.  It's hard to overeat on it without carbs.  Basically, you don't have to count calories because your body eventually self-regulates its hunger.

I'm mostly off it (keto) now.  It's allowed me to adjust my eating habits for the better, but I'm not sure I needed it for more than just getting a little weight out of the way.

I have three things going for me that should help with the last few lbs.

1)  I don't eat or crave sweets.  You can stick a cake, pie, cookie, etc... in front of me and I won't touch it - even if I'm hungry.  Just don't like them.

2) I'm pretty active comparatively speaking.  I teach, so I'm on my feet all day.  I also bike and play soccer.

3) I think I have a high metabolism compared to most.  I spent the first 30 years of my life trying to gain weight.  Granted, I took it about 20 lbs too far, but just eating like a normal human being should do the trick.  Not hitting Whataburger, Taco Bueno, etc.. every night plus a 12 pack every weekend is prob going to go a long way in getting where I want to be.  

Thanks for all the advice and help to everyone on here.  I'll check in periodically.

^^^^^^^^^ try giving up a 12 pack a night as a supplement to your nightly whiskey and gaining 30 pounds, but that's another thread. 

I'm going to try the Keto thing. I put on this 30 pounds so unexpectedly and it's been a nightmare to drop any and it's never been a problem in the past dropping 5 or 10 pounds with just a little effort. Seems like I just can't. I tried to intermittent fast. Started at 16/8, went to 18/6 then to 20/4. Nothing. Granted, I was eating way too much during my window. The only kind of diet I could imagine doing is eating less, but the small 4 hour window didn't slow down my calorie intake at all, it just made it during a shorter period of time. 

So now I'm on day 2 of a fast trying to kick this off, then I'll try and stay in ketosis or low carb or whatever I can until I see results. I'm terrible at knowing what to eat because I've never had any interest in nutrition and I have a really hard time learning about something I'm not interested in. But I think I'm just going to have to get a bunch of meals and cheat sheets for a reference and go from there. 

I'm 5' 10" and hit 220. My weight for the past 20 years has been between 185 and 195 and I'm ok with that, even though I'm still a little pudgy at that weight, I feel good there and I'm not trying to be on the cover of a magazine. I feel like shit about myself right now when I look in the mirror and my clothes aren't comfortable. I've also been battling a terrible bout of shingles over the summer that still hasn't gone away completely and then I got plantar fasciitis from trying to overdo walking when I was able to again, so that's really putting a damper on how much I can exercise. I guess I need to start biking or something that doesn't impact my feet as much. 

Some of you guys are impressive and hardcore. This hitting 40 thing really sucks. That's when it all started a year ago. Don't know why science and nature gotta hate me so much. Fucker. 

On 2/2/2019 at 9:06 AM, El Diablo said:

While us keto practitioners don't break the laws of thermodynamics, I refer to George Box with respect to the CICO model of weight loss, "All models are wrong. Some models are useful." CICO is a simple, simple model of a very complex system.

I've done light research into the topic and would suggest to strict CICO proponents: read Gary Taube's book Good Calories, Bad Calories.  It's well researched and includes citations.

• Like 1

I made a soup/stew last night with whatever I had leftover at the end of the week. I had 1lb of stew meat + 1lb of ribeye (was starting to get some freezer burn), 1lb of  dry lentils, 3 carrots, 3 celery sticks, 2 potatoes, 1 onion, beef broth, 2 jalapenos, oregano, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes. It made way more than I expected so I have lunch for the week plus a good bit frozen for future use.