Best Pocket Knife?

retread

On 8/8/2018 at 8:52 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Been awhile since I have bought a new knife.  I got a new job, so I figured I would celebrate with a new blade.  Just ordered this:

IMG_E8196.jpg

Special edition Kershaw Knockout with M390 steel.

I also saw this Kershaw Link that is about as close to burnt orange from the factory as you will find.  I have the special edition version (with the deep carry clip) of the Link, so not sure if I will end up buying it.  Good knife though.

KS1776BRZBWaa.jpg

Kershaw Leek, Orange Pocket Knife (1660OR), 3â Bead-Blasted High-Performance Sandvik 14C28N Steel Blade, Orange Anodized Aluminum Handle, SpeedSafe Assisted Opening, Liner and Tip Lock Slider; 2.4 OZ

That not closer? 

• Like 2

On 4/12/2019 at 2:48 PM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Damn you for making me buy this.  

Lol, that's the knife I've been carrying for some time now (not the color - which I'm getting next).  Man, it's such a great little knife.  Not overly expensive if/when you lose it.  Perfect for daily use items like opening boxes, etc and can be opened with one hand.  Has a distinct sound when it pops open in the rare instance it may be needed as a means for self-defense.  Flat blade is also much easier to sharpen.  Enjoy!

The Leek is a good knife.  I have had one for 15+ years.  Very few newfangled knives have that kind of staying power.  Which is ultimately why I don't carry it that much.

Give me a slipjoint (or locking slipjoint) all day everday.

Minor point. It isn't a flat ground blade.  It's partially hollow ground, which is why it's easier to sharpen and gets a nice bevel geometry for fine tasks, again, kind of like a slipjoint.

Edited by TwiceHorn

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2019 at 9:02 PM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

c38fa9f8c93f4fe810d9c25d4ea9b3b2.jpg
Love it. I’m about to pull the clip off.
The lock is great since I have 2 young kids and the assisted open works awesome. Glad it was a full finish instead of shiny that the original pic looked like.

I ordered one of these based on the recs in this thread.  I also appreciated the actual color vs the first pic of it posted here.  I was a little worried it was going to be closer to Tennessee orange than Texas.  I love the open assist.  I am not a huge knife guy so I had not seen that before and it took me a few days to figure out what that was.  I wish the blade was a little larger but I have taken to carrying this vs my other knives most of the time.

2 hours ago, GottaB said:

A larger speed safe model that is really popular is a Blur. Let’s have makes a ton of knives but those are two I had a bunch of over time.

I have both as well.  As the Blur is a larger, more robust knife, it tends to see more carry time @ the ranch,  hunting, etc.  Vs. the Leek I carry every day.  

I have a blur too. Nice knife, but rarely carry it. I have the special edition Link and Knockout as well. The knockout has been my EDC for almost 2 years now. Great knife. Special edition gave it different scales, m390 steel and a deep carry clip.

Here with a silver dollar and cinco pesos for comparison.

Tk8lGwh4_o.jpeg

I've been carrying a leek for about 7 years, I'm gonna have to get one in orange, and two for graduation gifts for CHIEF Jr.'s two buddies that are graduating UT and UTD in May. They are great graduation gifts.

CHIEF

• 3 weeks later...

I lost my Buck 505 somewhere (think it slipped out of a pair of khakis) and got tired of carrying my Kershaw shuffle since I switched to a front pocket wallet. Was about to buy another 505 or 503 but saw this, which I’ve always been curious about. Buck 55. Next to a 110 for comparison
81f5161e4d41974803ec84e62941af00.jpg

Also, if you are a fan of slingle-blade lockbacks, permit me to recommend the Case Mini Copperlock.  https://www.amazon.com/Case-Amber-Bone-Copperlock-Knife/dp/B0002V3J32?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffab-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0002V3J32

The steel isn't quite as good as Bucks, but not by much and is considerably easier to sharpen.  Part of the reason for that is that it is a thinner blade, more traditional slipjoint pocketknife, as is the knife as a whole.

You can get various scale materials to suit you and it carries really nicely by virtue of its thinnness.  And unless you find yourself in need of a small prybar often, I would suggest that the thinner blade and frame overall make a more usefull every day carry knife.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So, not really a pocket knife, but I decided to make a knife like something that might have been carried in Texas in the 1830's. Bowie knives were all the rage back then, but the term bowie knife really just meant a large hunting or butcher knife so close to the infamous sandbar fight. The shape we know today with the clip point blade was likely just industrial knife makers like Sheffield capitalizing on the hysteria and making their own interpretation of it. One of the early knives we know had an association with the Bowies was made by a gunsmith from Baton Rouge by the name of Daniel Searles. There is one of his knives that was known to be commissioned by Rezin Bowie and presented to his friend. This knife bears a strong resemblance to the Spanish style Belduque knives. Given the french and spanish influence at the time, it is likely that knives like this could be found in Mexican Texas. 

I ordered a forged blade of carbon steel from Crazy Crow Trading Post to start the project with. 

spacer.png

I didn't realize how rough a forging it would be, but that just means it will be more likely to have a sense of historical accuracy.

A few strokes with a file shows just how uneven the surface is.

spacer.png

After about an hour and a half of draw filing, I was left with this.

spacer.png

A better file will help out a lot, but draw filing a blade is rather relaxing. A little more work on this side and I can flip it over. Then I can start to profile the blade a bit more and set the angle for the edge. I think I will put an edge on part of the the backside as well. The goal is to make a knife entirely out of hand tools than materials that would have been available in the 1830's and also for it to be of a quality that it would have been carried by a person of some means. We will see how that last bit goes.

• Like 5

I haven’t bought a knife in about 2 years, but I am getting the itch again. Currently considering:

Spyderco Cat
Spyderco Lil Native
DPX HEAT (triple black)
CRKT Pilar (but I need to find a deep carry clip for it)
Benchmade Bugout

Some of those I would like to get some jade g10 scales to swap out. As usual, I prefer knives that have 2.5-3.25” blades, deep carry (right handed tip up), and pretty much any locking mechanism that isn’t a lockback.

Damn it Putt, now I am looking at another griptilian. The g10 mini.

Here are most of my knives:

6nFKhkeV_o.jpeg

Almost all of them are deep carry. If they aren’t, I find a clip from the manufacturer that works or buy an aftermarket ones.

5cADslVy_o.jpeg

These are probably my favorites to carry, and the kershaw is all I have carried for well over a year:

XYlEJIwY_o.jpeg

B5FJBKs8_o.jpeg

• Like 4

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:09 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

6nFKhkeV_o.jpeg

Almost all of them are deep carry. If they aren’t, I find a clip from the manufacturer that works or buy an aftermarket ones.

5cADslVy_o.jpeg

These are probably my favorites to carry, and the kershaw is all I have carried for well over a year:

XYlEJIwY_o.jpeg

B5FJBKs8_o.jpeg

What's the little stubby one, top row 2nd from the right? Reminds me of a Japanese blade I got when I was a teen. Fucking cops in Norfolk VA confiscated it during a bogus arrest and I never got it back.

On 11/9/2019 at 11:09 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

6nFKhkeV_o.jpeg

5cADslVy_o.jpeg

XYlEJIwY_o.jpeg

B5FJBKs8_o.jpeg

Damn OJ, got enough knives there....;)

Trick question:

*you can never have enough knives....

• Like 2

Damn OJ, got enough knives there....;)

Trick question:
*you can never have enough knives....

Yeah, I got a wee bit of a knife hoarding problem. I think I am about to buy two more...but trying to resist the temptation. Looking at several, but might grab this one tonight:

https://www.bladehq.com/item--MKM-Voxnaes-Isonzo-Liner-Lock-Knife--100469

I have probably twice as many.  They're kind of scattered about in tool and tackle boxes and drawers and a few in never-unpacked moving boxes.

Most were a lot cheaper than yours.  I have a bit of a knife problem and, like a woman, if one is cheap, I'll snap it up.  Probably my biggest steal being a Buck 110 for 9.95 at Walmart.  It's a helluva knife, but too damn big to carry and if you're gonna put it on your belt, might as well be a fixed blade.

Edited by TwiceHorn

38 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Yeah, I got a wee bit of a knife hoarding problem. I think I am about to buy two more...but trying to resist the temptation. Looking at several, but might grab this one tonight:

https://www.bladehq.com/item--MKM-Voxnaes-Isonzo-Liner-Lock-Knife--100469

I had this old canvas med sack from that old Army Navy story that used to be across the street from McBride's in Austin.  Called it my "OJ bag".  Had no less than a half dozen of those cheap Old Timer Skinners from Schrade.  Every year as a gift I'd get one from someone.  I'd lose a few, get another, etc.  Give a few away to friends new to hunting, etc.  

s-l300.jpg

• Like 2

Ran through a few of the Ken onion leek/chive knives, and while fun to open their fasteners would always loosen over time.

Benchmade butterfly/balisong got dull fast and impossible to sharpen.

Also had a few Gerber's and crkt and such as toys but not impressed by any of them.

Best actual utility is from a midsized multiuse Leatherman it Victorinox where the actual blade performs just as well.  For standalone knife I like the Spyderco Delica - really good grip, feels well built, stays decently sharp, with useful clip.

On 11/9/2019 at 8:07 AM, tx 3 putt said:

I’ve bought knives my whole life and stopped buying after my benchmade griptillian. It’s my edc going on 5 years

This is a really nice knife. My brother bought me one years ago. But I edc either a little stockman MM or a 3” fixed (which was also a gift from him). I haven’t carried anything with a clip in a decade or so now. 

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I have probably twice as many.  They're kind of scattered about in tool and tackle boxes and drawers and a few in never-unpacked moving boxes.

Most were a lot cheaper than yours.  I have a bit of a knife problem and, like a woman, if one is cheap, I'll snap it up.  Probably my biggest steal being a Buck 110 for 9.95 at Walmart.  It's a helluva knife, but too damn big to carry and if you're gonna put it on your belt, might as well be a fixed blade.

That Buck was the knife of choice when I was in the Navy, any sailor worth his salt had one on his hip.

PSA, Leeks are on sale today on Amazon.

I grabbed another regular one to throw in the camping box, and the carbon fiber handle one with the better CPM-154 steel, which is at its lowest price ever.

https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1660CF-Stonewashed-Reversible-Pocketclip/dp/B06XFGY89C

Orange handle

https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1660OR-Bead-Blasted-High-Performance-SpeedSafe/dp/B00AU6NJLG

• Like 2

I grabbed another regular one to throw in the camping box, and the carbon fiber handle one with the better CPM-154 steel, which is at its lowest price ever.

https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1660CF-Stonewashed-Reversible-Pocketclip/dp/B06XFGY89C

Orange handle

https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1660OR-Bead-Blasted-High-Performance-SpeedSafe/dp/B00AU6NJLG

I have the orange one, looks great but the blade is somewhat weak/thin. The tip is slightly bent and I dont really use it all that much

7 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Orange handle

That CPM bladed one is tempting.  I've had an OG for 15 years.  I firmly dislike metal scales/frame, so that CF is tempting, too.

The Leek is a knife you have to be careful with the point, no question about it.  That point will do stuff a lot of knives won't, though

• Like 1