Best Pocket Knife?

retread

That CPM bladed one is tempting.  I've had an OG for 15 years.  I firmly dislike metal scales/frame, so that CF is tempting, too.
The Leek is a knife you have to be careful with the point, no question about it.  That point will do stuff a lot of knives won't, though

It’s definitely light as hell. The scales are also just a little bit wider than the metal frame only regular model which gives it slightly more to grip.

9d5d375e060cb148f4a359b893df714f.jpg

bf2e2290f048ae3e0222eef69ecf9d73.jpg
  • Like 3

Finished the rough file work on my Searles style bowie blade. The original Rezin Bowie presentation knife made by Daniel Searles had an ebony grip. Lucky for me I have a good sized chunk of ebony I brought back from Senegal almost fifteen years ago. The accents were silver, so I'm going to have to try my hand at lost wax casting to make this piece as nice as possible. But for now I'm trying to finish up another leatherworking project, so this will probably take the back burner for a bit.

spacer.png

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it's properly hardened. While it did take a few hours to draw file all the forging marks out, it wasn't all that difficult. And the blade blank came from what was probably some backyard forge in India, so I'm not sure I would trust whether or not it is heat treated. I'll probably make a simple makeshift forge to heat treat it myself. I'm not too concerned with getting it perfect, as the early American knives weren't heat treated all that well compared to modern standards.

On 11/18/2019 at 10:28 AM, Anton Chigurh said:

PSA, Leeks are on sale today on Amazon.

I grabbed another regular one to throw in the camping box, and the carbon fiber handle one with the better CPM-154 steel, which is at its lowest price ever.

https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1660CF-Stonewashed-Reversible-Pocketclip/dp/B06XFGY89C

Orange handle

https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1660OR-Bead-Blasted-High-Performance-SpeedSafe/dp/B00AU6NJLG

How much was that carbon fiber when you posted this? I'd love to get that for 20 or 30 off. Because I don't need it at all. But I hate heavy shit in my pockets. 

How much was that carbon fiber when you posted this? I'd love to get that for 20 or 30 off. Because I don't need it at all. But I hate heavy shit in my pockets. 

$48. It’s great. I noticed that the Leek actually has three handle widths. CF is thickest, regular bead blasted scales is a little thinner, and the natural finish without scales is even thinner.

image.thumb.png.523207f43bd78206a162049e35c14b8f.png

Not a pocket knife, but does anyone else have a Randall?  My godfather gave me this for HS graduation - he was related to the Randall family.  My best friend is turning 40 next year and I thought this would be a meaningful gift that he would appreciate.  I went to their website and they are currently on a 6 year backorder...  I always planned on getting my sons one for HS graduation as well, I guess I better get in line.

Mine is a 4.5" model 11 - Alaskan Skinner.  One of my prized possessions.  

• Like 4

So for the Kershaw folks, what's your typical over-/under on the life of that little plastic "safety?"  I get about a month.  Kershaw will send you a few free every time you ask but they must ship from Neptune because it takes over a month to get them

I tend to just remove them (screw and all) once they break. But I have had a couple of the Speed Assists partially open in my pocket.  I mean, it's a $20 knife.

35 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

image.thumb.png.523207f43bd78206a162049e35c14b8f.png

Not a pocket knife, but does anyone else have a Randall?  My godfather gave me this for HS graduation - he was related to the Randall family.  My best friend is turning 40 next year and I thought this would be a meaningful gift that he would appreciate.  I went to their website and they are currently on a 6 year backorder...  I always planned on getting my sons one for HS graduation as well, I guess I better get in line.

Nice!  I love Randalls.

33 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

So for the Kershaw folks, what's your typical over-/under on the life of that little plastic "safety?"  I get about a month.  Kershaw will send you a few free every time you ask but they must ship from Neptune because it takes over a month to get them

I tend to just remove them (screw and all) once they break. But I have had a couple of the Speed Assists partially open in my pocket.  I mean, it's a $20 knife.

I have been through one on my Leek, but I don't carry it that much.  I have never had it open in my pocket.  Do you wind up closing it on the little lock?

12 hours ago, The Royal We said:

I went to their website and they are currently on a 6 year backorder...  I always planned on getting my sons one for HS graduation as well, I guess I better get in line.

NOTE: ORDERS ARE LIMITED TO ONE KNIFE PER HOUSEHOLD EVERY THREE MONTHS.
Orders received now are being scheduled for shipment in approximately 6 years.

On 12/20/2019 at 11:28 AM, TwiceHorn said:

I have been through one on my Leek, but I don't carry it that much.  I have never had it open in my pocket.  Do you wind up closing it on the little lock?

Same here. I never use the lock and have never had it open up at all in my pocket. I've had it unlocked thousands of times while doing a lot of moving around, physical work and it's never come open. Sometimes it will lock itself in my pocket, but I haven't had the lock part itself break. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Those are actually both 55’s (the one on top replaced a 505). Both brass, one is a bit more tarnished and the wood is lighter (may be from age/wear, it has a bit of green in it too from the brass). But also shitty lighting in a parking garage as I fished my keys out of the stash pocket of my briefcase and found a knife in there as well.

3 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Those are actually both 55’s (the one on top replaced a 505). Both brass, one is a bit more tarnished and the wood is lighter (may be from age/wear, it has a bit of green in it too from the brass). But also shitty lighting in a parking garage as I fished my keys out of the stash pocket of my briefcase and found a knife in there as well.

Ooohhh yeah I see now.  I couldn't see the points on the bolsters clearly and I remembered you were replacing a 500 series,  Guess you did it twice.

Guess that means you like the 55?

Edited by TwiceHorn

Yeah - i like the 500s, but then brass is kinda fun, I like the point, and the 55 has a sconce more heft which makes it feel less likely to slip out of a pocket unnoticed.

I have noticed with recent Bucks (not sure if it’s a change or just because I’ve lost a couple over the past few years) that they do feel better after they’ve opened and closed a couple hundred times.

11 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Yeah - i like the 500s, but then brass is kinda fun, I like the point, and the 55 has a sconce more heft which makes it feel less likely to slip out of a pocket unnoticed.

I have noticed with recent Bucks (not sure if it’s a change or just because I’ve lost a couple over the past few years) that they do feel better after they’ve opened and closed a couple hundred times.

Yeah, I think Buck, like everyone basically, has dropped off just a skosh in quality.  Nothing real meaningful, just a little less polishing here and there.  Everyone's slipjoints, except maybe GEC (but they're fat to begin with), are a little thicker a little coarser than they were 20 years ago.

Trying to stay competitive.

I picked up this CRKT knife for about $30. The finish definitely fits the price. I am not a big fan of GFN handles, but I like Voxnaes designs. It is also deep carry and a good length for EDC (insert joke). If they made a version with G-10 and the fit and finish was better, I would be all over it. This is basically a throw away.

LbDQ0ji5_o.jpeg

On 12/22/2019 at 8:12 AM, BBQ2Bayou said:

Same here. I never use the lock and have never had it open up at all in my pocket. I've had it unlocked thousands of times while doing a lot of moving around, physical work and it's never come open. Sometimes it will lock itself in my pocket, but I haven't had the lock part itself break. 

Just noticed this response.  Sorry.  Anyway, that little plastic safety lock on a Kershaw never makes it a month in my pocket.  It's literally just a nub of hard plastic, like the nubs left over on frames on molded plastic model parts. If it were metal it would last forever.  It would probably also leave a mark on the back of the blade tip.

After a few hundred open/closes, the assist spring loses a little of its pressure and there's some play in the knife when it's closed - it will bounce up and down when you press on the back of the blade while closed.  Once that happens, if the safety lock's gone, every once in a while in my pocket it will open enough that you could put your say, half the width of your little  finger in between blade tip and frame. It doesn't pop fully open, but it can stick you if you're not careful..

I'm sure a spring replacement would fix it, but, again, it's a $20 knife.  I just buy a new one.

I picked up this CRKT knife for about $30. The finish definitely fits the price. I am not a big fan of GFN handles, but I like Voxnaes designs. It is also deep carry and a good length for EDC (insert joke). If they made a version with G-10 and the fit and finish was better, I would be all over it. This is basically a throw away.

LbDQ0ji5_o.jpeg

Yeah. I’ve put that in my amazon cart a few times and never pulled the trigger. Looks great but the overall package also seems lacking. G10 and some upgrades at the same shape would be perfect.
  • Like 1

Yeah. I’ve put that in my amazon cart a few times and never pulled the trigger. Looks great but the overall package also seems lacking. G10 and some upgrades at the same shape would be perfect.

Yeah, I hope they do a more high end version. For now it will go in my camera bag or be my knife I hike with. If it gets fucked up or lost, no big deal.

22 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

CRKT looks to have upped their game a bit lately.

Anyone have any experience with the CEO?  Looks like my kinda shiv.

Eh, never mind.  Thick blade, completely defeats the purpose.  Need another knife like I need a hole in my head anyway.

Edited by TwiceHorn

• 1 month later...

I'm only nominally a Knife Guy (mostly haven't really had any reason to bother searching outside of Spyderco's product line for the past 20 years...) but am thinking of getting myself something a little more "upscale." However, I need a little help from the peanut gallery. 

From among these choices of woods (don't really want any of the bone options), are there any options that are somehow substantially better or worse than the others? 

https://www.fontenille-pataud.com/en/208-laguiole-le-pocket-105-cm-knives

Thanks! 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

I'm only nominally a Knife Guy (mostly haven't really had any reason to bother searching outside of Spyderco's product line for the past 20 years...) but am thinking of getting myself something a little more "upscale." However, I need a little help from the peanut gallery. 
From among these choices of woods (don't really want any of the bone options), are there any options that are somehow substantially better or worse than the others? 
https://www.fontenille-pataud.com/en/208-laguiole-le-pocket-105-cm-knives
Thanks! 

I don't know about the handle on the pocket knives but I've had a set of the Lagoule steak knives for 16 years and they are fucking awesome.
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

I don't know about the handle on the pocket knives but I've had a set of the Lagoule steak knives for 16 years and they are fucking awesome.

Same here. I bought my wife a set of rosewoods for an anniversary gift (some wood or steel or cutlery year - who knows...) and they're a true joy to use. 

I bought my assistant a set of mother of pearls as a belated wedding gift - they arrived in early March and I haven't had a chance to give them to her yet. I've been tempted to use them first... 

I think that I will probably eventually just go with whichever wood best complements the wood of my hitterbox. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

I’ve owned a lot of kershaw. Sold most of them. They’re good but they aren’t the same to me as the others mentioned. Spyderco is a step up. BM is too. Kershaw has a spectrum and their mid level end is not close to Benchmade anything.

Their high end maybe competes. I never dropped for their higher stuff because I never saw anything pricey that caught my attention as something I’d want. I imagine at the >$130 range you probably get more for your money with kershaw than Benchmade The same way spyderco Sage level competes with Benchmade at their price point.

But even spyderco low end stuff (not the Byrd series, but actual tenacious / persistence ballpark) is on par with most of the kershaw you see at academy and cabelas. And I’d take a delica over most of what I’ve seen from kershaw on the shelves.

The Kershaw Blur is a really good knife, but I’d go with a griptillian / bugout over a blur or any $75-100 kershaw. They do make some interesting $30-40 knives (cryo, shuffle, and some others) but I won’t Carrey them because I have other knives I like more.

I really like the Benchmade auto openers.  I have carried a Mini Presidio for over 15 years.  The black is worn off the blade from Krav knife drills.  I really like it.  Due to being stuck at home for the past few weeks and online buying habit,  I ordered the Phaeton OTF.  It is not as ergonomic as the Presidio. When drawing from pants, the button is not where your thumb is.  It requires some fumbling around to get it just right.  Also, the blade is very thin and may be good for sliding between ribs, but for general household cutting, prying it does not make the grade.

• 1 month later...

Alright knife guys, need a recommendation on a fixed blade, mostly used for skinning type blade.  I'm a buy once, cry once type, but never really got into knives too much.  Moore maker trapper for edc and a couple of benchmades have gotten me over the last 25 years, but need something with some more ass.  Just looking for a very reputable, higher end brand I wouldn't know about, like the Randalls upthread.  Not opposed to customs by any means.  Any advice appreciated.