Best Pocket Knife?

retread

Well, the griprip has developed just a skosh of lateral blade play.  Could probably fix it with the right torx driver, but still a tad disappointing.

Ok, weird deal.  Yesterday I was in a dusty environment and it was a bit windy.  As a result, everything was gritty, including the knife.  So I hosed it out and dried it.  I did put a bit of oil, but mostly on the axis lock rather than the joint.  And bang, blade play.

Later today, I put a drop of oil in the joint.  Blade play is gone (it was slight).  So there apparently are some washers/bushings in there that can shrink.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Dammit.  I gave away another Benchmade Mini Griptilian to a friend who can't afford a good pocket knife.   Every time I get drunk and the topic of good knives come up, I'm compelled to help.  Fucking expensive problem though and now I'm shopping for another one yet again.

In the meantime, this ZT Sinkevich 0450 flipper is the best sub $150 dollar knife I've ever owned.  Good blade steel, bank vault lockup, and scalpel sharp.

13 minutes ago, krevo said:

Dammit.  I gave away another Benchmade Mini Griptilian to a friend who can't afford a good pocket knife.   Every time I get drunk and the topic of good knives come up, I'm compelled to help.  Fucking expensive problem though and now I'm shopping for another one yet again.

In the meantime, this ZT Sinkevich 0450 flipper is the best sub $150 dollar knife I've ever owned.  Good blade steel, bank vault lockup, and scalpel sharp.

Get some ganzos to give away.  Or point them in that direction.

On 5/11/2018 at 1:27 PM, krevo said:

Holy shit. This is a real problem for me. If somebody comes to my shop to bullshit and have a few beers they leave with a knife. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, llanoflash said:

Holy shit. This is a real problem for me. If somebody comes to my shop to bullshit and have a few beers they leave with a knife. 

And where might this shop be?

• Like 2

Cutco is the same basic company as Kabar.  Thus, you will find an equivalent Kabar for about everything in their outdoor line.  And you will likely find it cheaper on amazon.

Kabar makes a good knife.  The Dozier folder is a Ganzo-like bargain at around $20.  The variants on the USMC fighting knife are all good knives, with certain limitations (the small tang and guards, and the 1095, which is great steel, but rusts).  The Becker line of "higher tech" or more modern designs are very well-regarded knives.

For example, if you want something smaller than your Ganzo, you might find this quite satisfactory. https://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-KA4072-BRK-Dozier-Small-Folder/dp/B001RRISOU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527777804&sr=8-1&keywords=dozier+folder&dpID=31ZEOUzgbsL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch 

No axis lock though.

Edited by TwiceHorn

• 1 month later...

For the record, I have read a number of places that the small handle screws on Ganzos are poor and won't generally survive disassembly/reassembly.  Its easy enough to find good replacements, but a pisser if you don't have them on-hand.

Also, I am a bit skeptical of the claims of 440C steel and the hardness numbers.  I made a flat spot cutting an apple on a granite countertop (blade is too thick, really, for this kind of job).  I was able to grind it out too easily, I think, with AlO stone.  I did also use a diamond hone for a few passes, but my overall impression is that it was pretty soft for 440C.  Maybe I just got lucky that day resharpening.

• 3 weeks later...

Been awhile since I have bought a new knife.  I got a new job, so I figured I would celebrate with a new blade.  Just ordered this:

IMG_E8196.jpg

Special edition Kershaw Knockout with M390 steel.

I also saw this Kershaw Link that is about as close to burnt orange from the factory as you will find.  I have the special edition version (with the deep carry clip) of the Link, so not sure if I will end up buying it.  Good knife though.

KS1776BRZBWaa.jpg

• Haha 1

I have a the small sebenza with micarta inlays.  I like it better.  The inkosi has contours where my fingers rest that don't feel right. That is why I am going to sell it.  

Both great looking knives and great craftsmanship.  The inkosi handle is smaller.  

For those interested, Camofire having a huge knife drop today (Primarily SOG).  Folders.  Skinning knives.  Fixed blades.  Even removable

Ex:  

SOG X-RAY VISION FOLDING KNIFE  89.99 $183.00
51% OFF'

SOG VULCAN MINI FOLDING KNIFE  $89.99 $188.50
52% OFF

SOG FLASHBACK MINI FOLDING KNIFE  $34.99 $69.99
50% OFF

Camofire

I have a the small sebenza with micarta inlays.  I like it better.  The inkosi has contours where my fingers rest that don't feel right. That is why I am going to sell it.  
Both great looking knives and great craftsmanship.  The inkosi handle is smaller.  
Dang, small inkosi is probably my favorite smaller CRK. I like that the blade is a little wider (edge to spine). I just like the blade shape better in general than the small sebenza.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Never heard of Ganzo before this thread.  Not a huge knife guy, just carried a random folder in my pocket for utility's sake.  Most recently I had a Cold Steel Pro Lite Tanto that I lost over the course of a drunken Saturday.  Replaced it with a G720.  Its a lot heavier and a little bigger, but man it came sharp as a razor out of the box and it is really well made.  For $20ish, I was impressed enough to buy some other Ganzo models just because.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 2:44 PM, Hozz said:

Never heard of Ganzo before this thread.  Not a huge knife guy, just carried a random folder in my pocket for utility's sake.  Most recently I had a Cold Steel Pro Lite Tanto that I lost over the course of a drunken Saturday.  Replaced it with a G720.  Its a lot heavier and a little bigger, but man it came sharp as a razor out of the box and it is really well made.  For $20ish, I was impressed enough to buy some other Ganzo models just because.

I've been carrying a Ganzo for a beater knife for a while now. The steel is pretty crappy and the thumb stud came loose and fell off, but otherwise a very good knife for $20. I wish they would make one with decent steel.

10 hours ago, retread said:

Here's a 2.75" blade of that on Amazon. I think it's the same knife.model.

https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-7006CU-Natrix-Copper-Pocketknives/dp/B079Y3ZMFW

I could be wrong on my blade length.  3" was just from memory and what it looks like.  That does appear to be the same knife, I think they just came out with the copper model.  They've had the Natrix out for a while now.  

• 4 months later...

Carried the Benchmade Mini-Presidio for 15 years with no complaints.  Still opens lightning fast.  All the black is worn off the blade from stabbing/slicing dummies(not human) in Krav classes for years.  Switched the clip since I am left handed.