Texas roster 2019

Machinator

With the 2018 season in the books, it's time to look forward to next season. There's a lot that's going to change in the next month with NSD2, transfers, graduation, NFL draft decisions, and other attrition, but this is what we've got so far. I've included all signees from the early signing day of the 2019 cycle.

For DT/DE, WR, and C/OG/OT, and generally the freshmen I had to make some guesses.

Players in italics are in the transfer portal.

Scholarship count: 84

Last updated: October 3

Offense:

QB (2) : Ehlinger (Jr), C. Thompson (RS Fr)

RB (7) : K. Johnson (RS Sr), Ramirez (RS Sr), Young (Jr), Ingram (So), D. Brown (Fr), R. Johnson (Fr) Whittington (Fr)

OT (9) : Urquidez (RS Jr), Kerstetter (Jr), Cosmi (RS So), Tyler (So), C. Jones (RS Fr), R. Moore (RS Fr), T. Johnson (Fr), Hookfin (Fr), Shepherd (Fr)

OG (4) : Braun (Sr), Okafor (RS Jr), Imade (RS Jr), Angilau (RS Fr)

Center (2) : Shackelford (Sr), Ghirmai (RS Fr)

XWR (3) : Collin Johnson (Sr), Epps (RS Fr), Washington (Fr)

HWR (4) : Devin Duvernay (Sr), Pouncey (RS So), J. Moore (So), Smith (Fr)

ZWR (4) : Burt (RS Sr), Eagles (So), Woodard (RS Fr), Lewis (Fr)

TE (4) : Brewer (Jr), Leitao (RS So), Liebrock (Fr), Wiley (Fr)

Defense/ST:

DE (9) : Chisholm (RS Sr), Roach (Sr), Bimage (Jr), Graham (Jr), J. Jones (Jr), Cummins (RS So), Carson (RS Fr), Warren (Fr), Mpagi (Fr),

DT (5) : Christmas (Sr), Wilbon (Sr), Coburn (RS Fr), Ojomo (RS Fr), Sweat (Fr)

BLB (2) : Ossai (So), Vaughns (RS Fr)

RLB (3) : McCulloch (Sr), Caleb Johnson (Jr), Gbenda (Fr), Floyd (Fr)

MLB (6) : Hine (RS So), Jaquess (RS So), Mitchell (So), Adeoye (RS Fr), Brockermeyer (RS Fr), Tillman (Fr)

CB (7) : Donovan Duvernay (RS Jr), Boyce (RS So), Cook (So), Green (So), Jamison (So), Watson (Fr), Caldwell (Fr)

Nickel (3) : J. Thompson (Jr), Foster (So), Adimora (Fr)

FS (3) : Coutoumanos (Jr), Estell (RS So), Sterns (So)

BS (3) : B. Jones (Sr), C. Brown (RS Jr), Owens (Fr)

Joker (1) Overshown (So)

K (1) : Dicker (So)

P (1) : Bujcevski (So)

DS (1): Mader (RS So)

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 8

We have 10  early enrollees from the 2019 class:

Roschon Johnson, QB

Jordan Whittington, WR (or RB, or whatever the fuck he wants to be)

Bru McCoy, WR

Tyler Johnson, OT

Jared Wiley, TE

Jacoby Jones, DE

Peter Mpagi, DE

De'Gabriel Floyd, LB

Caleb Johnson, LB

Marcus Tillman, LB

Edited by Machinator

Some early thoughts I had on the roster from a couple weeks ago:

Obviously, I don't think we're going to hold 5 QBs on the roster by the time September 2019 rolls around. Hell, I'd be surprised if we had that many by the time we reach spring ball. The three I'm most interested in keeping around are Sam, Rising, and Roschon.

Tom's most important short-term recruiting job will be to retain one of the 2018 QB signees, as well as LJH, CJ, and Brandon Jones.

The RB depth chart is deceiving in numbers. We have at most three P5-caliber backs right now, and only one I'd feel comfortable rolling out as the starter for Game 1. We need another, and if we can grab a grad transfer on top of that, do it.

The OT room is better than it's been talent-wise but there's a steep drop-off in game readiness from Kerstetter to Jones/Moore. Urquidez should not be considered a realistic option barring a miracle. The staff needs to find a third option somewhere and/or work like hell to get Tyler Johnson ready to play at some point in the 2019 season. I'm afraid we're going to waste another season of Okafor's career making him the 3rd tackle because we have nobody else. Maybe Angilau will figure out pass protection and become that guy, who knows.

We have some serious athletic upside at guard (especially if Hudson can play), but little in the way of experience. A grad transfer would be good to have. Grandy's medical retirement is unfortunate here because a full 1.5 years of development in the system could have produced another viable option.

Center is scary, again, and this time we won't have Rodriguez to fill in if Shack goes down. E-Rod might be the most underrated loss from this year's squad. Kerstetter needs to be cross-trained, and we need to find third guy. I wonder if Herman was sincere in saying that Tyler can play all three OL positions.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Josh Moore passed up at HWR at some point in the 2019 season and moved to Z. I think he's a player, but I'm extremely high on Whittington and Smith.

If Collin Johnson leaves, does Epps play XWR for another season? Hell, will Epps be bulked up enough to play TE next season regardless?

For all I've been saying about Sweat being a DT, I do think he starts out his career at 4i. Similarly, I wonder if Mpagi starts out his career playing BLB on the scout team.

I like how the staff used Roach as a DT on passing downs late last season, and I could see them doing it with Graham as well.

A lot of the LBers are interchangeable right now. I could see Floyd starting at Rover, and Caleb at Mac. I could also see the staff giving McCulloch a shot at one of the ILB positions, though that doesn't fill me with confidence. Tillman might be the most intriguing prospect of the bunch. I continue to be skeptical of Dele's ability to be a three-down linebacker in the Big 12. Boyd and Townsend are gone, most likely. A grad transfer for depth would be useful, but with the infusion of talent might be hard to get.

Outside corner is talented but shallow as fuck. Again, in a perfect world we find a grad transfer to bridge the experience gap, but what older player is going to look at a roster with 3-4 top 200 talents and say "I have a great shot at starting at Texas"?

Nickel continues to vex me, in part because of what our staff asks of the position. I think both Thompson and Jamison have traits that make them good candidates, but not comprehensively so. I really hope they can figure it out, because I am somewhat concerned that Jamison could become an orphaned talent without a clear position to play.

That safety room is fun. Would be nice if we could keep Chris Brown around as quality depth, but I wouldn't be surprised if he left.

• Like 2

The biggest thing that jumps out to me is that we need numbers at DT. Three seniors, none of whom have impressed particularly, and then two RS freshman. I think Sweat is going be to really good, but we need more bodies there. Hopefully they can find some JUCO or grad transfer talent over the next two seasons. 

Just now, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Hopefully they can find some JUCO or grad transfer talent over the next two seasons. 

The success and instant impact of Gary Johnson, Calvin Anderson, and Tre Watson on a 10-win team should be a huge selling point for any JUCO or grad transfers we go after.

• Like 2

There’s no doubt amongst us that Herman wants to win a championship here.  I have full confidence that he will sell this win to recruits and grad transfers.  There are quite a few open spots on this roster.  Our trajectory and expectation of competing for a conference title next year along with the success our grad transfers saw last year should put us in position to pick up some quality guys to fill those needs.

Graham and Roach alternated at DT in obvious pass rush situations. The DL is not really a concern right now for me. OL, LB, RB, and CB are the 4 weakest areas in terms of playable depth right now.

Getting Caleb Johnson in for the spring is really huge, if we can lock down one of the ILB positions, LB becomes much less of a concern. I feel good about his eval considering he was committed to ISU before us, and their LB core was the best in the Big 12 last year.

Edited by HtownHorn

need DTs bad. two jucos who come in as juniors please

Josh Moore is a player. in the few moments he had this year he stood out and it was easy to see he has some serious skills

is there a reason we can't put 25 at NB? not sure what he is playing when in there now but he needs to be on the field. playmaker. 

Just now, staboner said:

need DTs bad. two jucos who come in as juniors please

Josh Moore is a player. in the few moments he had this year he stood out and it was easy to see he has some serious skills

is there a reason we can't put 25 at NB? not sure what he is playing when in there now but he needs to be on the field. playmaker. 

Foster's best when he's playing close to the LOS. I'm not sure he has the coverage skills for nickel in the Big 12.

5 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

Dele was tracked at 21 mph on one of the kickoffs according to Herman. I think he might be more capable than Wheeler in the middle.

Totally forgot about Dele.

Dele and Johnson sounds like a starting ILB duo to replace Wheeler and Johnson. Light on experience, plenty of athleticism.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I’ve reread your caveats and such, so I don’t feel like I missed anything, but forgive me if I’m off here. 

1) Hookfin

2) Did Ossai really redshirt ?

3) You listed Porter twice. 

1) Thanks.

2) He did not, fixed.

3) That's two spots too many for him. Fixed.

On the first day of the offseason a day after winning the Sugar Bowl there's no reason not to be optimistic. Therefore I am confident in saying that I don't think we will get worse at linebacker and in fact think we could see better production there, especially once we get to around the halfway point of the season.

1 minute ago, Revolution512 said:

Next year is scary with an average DL and young CBs. 

If Texas can land Evans at RB, well I’ll just say the 2020 national picture is looking interesting for Texas football.

I think the DL will be bigger and more talented, though their experience is lacking. You could probably say that about every position on defense besides Safety and Mac LB.

I certainly think defense is going to be even more salty than this year. I’m excited to see the speed and aggressiveness on the field. We got some hungry dudes that want to hit you.

The other thing is that we have so many hybrid guys that can play multiple positions based on need and scheme. It’s way to dictate to the offense what we want their RPO to be. 

Let’s get to spring ball ASAP! Haha. Fuck the offseason.

25 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

I think the DL will be bigger and more talented, though their experience is lacking. You could probably say that about every position on defense besides Safety and Mac LB.

I don’t know that we are better at NT next season. Charles was excellent at DE, I don’t see someone filling those shoes to that level. 

Lots of experience is leaving with this 2018 Team.... No doubt

2019 Texas Roster Questions

1) Texas D-line (Gone:  Nelson, Omenihue, Hager)

2) Texas LBs ( Gone: G.Johnson, Wheeler)

3) Texas CBs (Gone:  Boyd, Davis)

4) O-line  ( Gone:  Rodriquez, Anderson, Vahe)

5) Texas RBs (Gone:  Tre Watson)

6) Texas WRs (Probably Gone: LJH)

So we need at the bare minimum a Grad Transfer at OL and DL, I think we are fine and probably improved at CB with the young guys coming up.

What is the realistic number in getting grad transfers in a season? we got one last year and seems like we need 4-5 or another juco or two to help fill out RB and LB. Anyone know what the normal amount is for one team on the grad transfer market? 1-2 seems like the max one team gets. 

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

So we need at the bare minimum a Grad Transfer at OL and DL, I think we are fine and probably improved at CB with the young guys coming up.

What is the realistic number in getting grad transfers in a season? we got one last year and seems like we need 4-5 or another juco or two to help fill out RB and LB. Anyone know what the normal amount is for one team on the grad transfer market? 1-2 seems like the max one team gets. 

We had two grad transfers this past season, Anderson and Watson.

It might be harder to get those guys at Texas because of admissions.

I think he does.  He was actually very good in coverage this year and has had a few big pass break ups in one on one coverage situations.  Perhaps not at the level of Kenny vaccaro at nickel but I think he is our best option on the roster.

Edited by victory88

2 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

It seems that serviceable to good RBs from the state of Texas are scattered all over the country year in and out.  It's bizarre that that is one of our weak spots.

OL was weak in the run game for 2 seasons.  We have good enough backs right now, but have been average at run blocking.

CB is a position where experience really matters.  There is plenty of talent on the roster, but it might be a rough start to the year at that position.  Hopefully they will pick things up quickly.  I think Cook will be ok if he can eliminate some of the bonehead stuff he tends to do, mainly from being overly aggressive.  Not sure what to think about Green. He's got a ton of talent but it might take him a little while to get up to game speed.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

We had two grad transfers this past season, Anderson and Watson.

It might be harder to get those guys at Texas because of admissions.

True.  Those two guys came from Rice and Cal-Berkeley.  Hopefully Stanford, Duke, NW etc..would be the schools to follow.

Edited by jdhorn92

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I don’t think we are improved at CB nor is there any playable depth to speak of. In 2020, we will be much better than this year.

5 hours ago, Machinator said:

With the 2018 season in the books, it's time to look forward to next season. There's a lot that's going to change in the next month with NSD2, transfers, graduation, NFL draft decisions, and other attrition, but this is what we've got so far. I've included all signees from the early signing day of the 2019 cycle.

For DT/DE, WR, and C/OG/OT, and generally the freshmen I had to make some guesses.

Offense:

QB (5): Buechele (RS Jr), Ehlinger (Jr), Rising (RS Fr), C. Thompson (RS Fr), R. Johnson (Fr)

RB (7): K. Johnson (RS Sr), Porter (RS Jr), Young (Jr), Houston (RS Sr), Ingram (So), D. Brown (Fr)

OT (7): Urquidez (RS Jr), Kerstetter (Jr), Cosmi (RS So), C. Jones (RS Fr), R. Moore (RS Fr), T. Johnson (Fr), Hookfin (Fr)

OG (5): Okafor (RS Jr), Imade (RS Jr), Hudson (RS Jr), Angilau (RS Fr), Ghirmai (RS Fr)

Center (1): Shackelford (Sr)

XWR (4): Collin Johnson (Sr), Pouncey (RS So), Eagles (So), Washington (Fr)

HWR (4): LJH (Sr), J. Moore (So), Whittington (Fr), Smith (Fr)

ZWR (4): Burt (RS Sr), Devin Duvernay (Sr), Woodard (RS Fr), Lewis (Fr)

TE (6): Brewer (Jr), Leitao (RS So), Cummins (RS So), Epps (RS Fr), Liebrock (Fr), Wiley (Fr)

Defense/ST:

DE (8): Roach (Sr), Bimage (Jr), Graham (Jr), J. Jones (Jr), Carson (RS Fr), Warren (Fr), Mpagi (Fr), Sweat (Fr)

DT (5): Chisholm (RS Sr), Christmas (Sr), Wilbon (Sr), Coburn (RS Fr), Ojomo (RS Fr)

BLB (3): McCulloch (Sr), Ossai (So), Vaughns (RS Fr)

RLB (5): Townsend (RS Jr), Caleb Johnson (RS So), Overshown (So), Gbenda (Fr), Tillman (Fr)

MLB (3): Boyd (RS Jr), Adeoye (RS Fr),  Floyd (Fr)

CB (6): Donovan Duvernay (RS Jr), Boyce (RS So), Cook (So), Green (So), Watson (Fr), Caldwell (Fr)

Nickel (2): J. Thompson (Jr), Jamison (So)

S (7): B. Jones (Sr), C. Brown (RS Jr), Estell (RS So), Foster (So), Sterns (So), Adimora (Fr), Owens (Fr)

K (2): Rowland (RS Sr), Dicker (So)

P (1): Bujcevski (So)

We have 7 RBs but really 3 RBs.

You see Kerstetter at OT? I was thinking LG1/C2. I wonder if Cosmi moves to LT. All probably depends on which GT we get, if any. We don't have a lot of stars on the OL yet but we're building quality slowly.

TE will be interesting.

DL will be good this year, I think, and despite some holes I'm betting our defense improves with a couple breakouts from young guys.

Sterns and Foster. That warms my heart.

5 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

We have 7 RBs but really 3 RBs.

You see Kerstetter at OT? I was thinking LG1/C2. I wonder if Cosmi moves to LT. All probably depends on which GT we get, if any. We don't have a lot of stars on the OL yet but we're building quality slowly.

TE will be interesting.

DL will be good this year, I think, and despite some holes I'm betting our defense improves with a couple breakouts from young guys.

Sterns and Foster. That warms my heart.

I see Kerstetter as E-Rod with a higher ceiling (utility player) who will play RT out of necessity next season.

2 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

True.  Those two guys came from Rice and Cal-Berkeley.  Hopefully Stanford, Duke, NW etc..would be the schools to follow.

I remember reading an interview with Anderson regarding his transfer and he sounded more excited about the actual grad program he was choosing than the idea of playing football. Very impressive kid but honestly I would hate to see the football grad transfers limited to the higher academic schools in the country.

4 hours ago, victory88 said:

I think he does.  He was actually very good in coverage this year and has had a few big pass break ups in one on one coverage situations.  Perhaps not at the level of Kenny vaccaro at nickel but I think he is our best option on the roster.

I think you were talking about Foster and I agree with you. It seems like at least an option against more run heavy spread teams. We'll essentially have 2 all conference SS's on the roster in Jones and Foster and 1 all conference FS on the roster in Sterns. We should be able to get all 3 on the field, but 1 or 2 would be playing out of their ideal position.