Texas roster 2019

Machinator

20 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Why exactly do people think we need more DTs? We’re playing a 3 man front. Sweat is a NT long term. Graham is 6-3, 290 and has played NT as well. 

Depth is my concern and if we could grab a proven grad transfer at DT that would be nice. I don’t think you can ever have too many DT.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Why exactly do people think we need more DTs? We’re playing a 3 man front. Sweat is a NT long term. Graham is 6-3, 290 and has played NT as well. 

I'm hoping that Orlando becomes more multiple in fronts like he said he wanted to be when hired. Most of our talent is in the secondary and LB will be mostly new faces. I'm not saying abandon what works or what we've been doing. But you can't run a defense showcasing the LBs if it's mostly new players. 

26 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Ossai, Graham, Bimage, Chisholm, Coburn, Ojomo and Sweat are a good start at DL.  Happy 2019!

Yeah seeing as Roach, Wilbon and the only one you named (Graham) are probably your projected starters. 

I think McCulloch will get more looks at DE than LB next year. I think Texas will also use more even fronts especially in pass rushing situations. I can see McCulloch, Ossai, Graham, and Roach being used in those even fronts rushing the passer. Wilbon and Coburn will be your traditional nose, but I would also imagine those 2 will get plenty of PT together against LSU. Chisholm and Bimage will fill in behind them. I think Jones gets a RS for depth purposes.

Texas has plenty of bodies for 2019.

I can see TE being the largest question going into Spring. Beck's ability to shift between outside and on the line was the largest key to the offense this season.

We have some TEs who may be effective out wide but none that have shown the slightest blocking capability.

I think we are sneaky good next year at LB and DL. CB makes me nervous though. Hopefully Green is good as advertised and Watson comes in ready to get serious snaps. Why is Okafor being listed at Guard? 

Cosmi-Imade-Shack-Kerstetter-Okafor is the line that makes the most sense to me. 

Just now, Texasborn91 said:

I think we are sneaky good next year at LB and DL. CB makes me nervous though. Hopefully Green is good as advertised and Watson comes in ready to get serious snaps. Why is Okafor being listed at Guard? 

Cosmi-Imade-Shack-Kerstetter-Okafor is the line that makes the most sense to me. 

It's a guess and a reflection of my opinion that his upside is at guard. However, if we don't find a third tackle, he might be an OT next season.

13 hours ago, CastHorn said:

I think the DL will be bigger and more talented, though their experience is lacking. You could probably say that about every position on defense besides Safety and Mac LB.

We'll upgrade Hager and whoever replaces Nelson may be a wash, but we'll miss Omenihu. 

34 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

We'll upgrade Hager and whoever replaces Nelson may be a wash, but we'll miss Omenihu. 

Maybe, but did you see the way Ossai was giving those big ass UGA tackles problems? His presence was huge in the Sugar Bowl. I think he’ll be a star really soon.

9 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

Corner inexperience may be acutely felt against LSU. Week two and some speedy WRs. I think our DL and LB will be a relative strength, though, as will S play.

Another thing that sucks, that I haven't seen mentioned yet, is the fact that Cook has to sit out the first half of the La Tech game. 

Edited by TexasPride10
typo

CB Coach Washington will have to earn his paycheck next season. CB is a harsh position, especially in the wide open Big 12.

Almost all of the corners we remember with fondness were ugly ducklings as freshmen and sophomores. Most recently we had Hill, Boyd, and Davis show some promise as freshmen before regressing as sophomores. Both years there were frequent breakdowns and WR's running free scoring looooong TD's.

If we are to win the conference next year Cook, Green, and Watson will have to have huge seasons. If Boyce is ever going to contribute, next year would be the time.

A grad transfer shutdown corner would be nice. That's even less likely than Boyce contributing, but a boy can dream.

We did a great job with Anderson and Watson but at some point it's time to develop and use all of these blue chip recruits we have been signing. We have signed a lot of talent at corner and the main reason you go to the grad transfer route is to solve a hole in recruiting. It was necessary this year at tackle and rb and it will probably be  necessary at rb again since we whiffed this year in recruiting but I do not see the need in the secondary. Green and Cook are the future so no reason to try to slow their development curve. 

11 hours ago, pacman said:

I can see TE being the largest question going into Spring. Beck's ability to shift between outside and on the line was the largest key to the offense this season.

We have some TEs who may be effective out wide but none that have shown the slightest blocking capability.

I'd really like to see Daniel Young move into that H-back slot. He's been a decent receiver out of the backfield and shown a willingness to block. He's got some size to him.

It really looks like the biggest issues heading into 2019 are going to be depth on OL and inexperience at CB.

Edited by Llogg

14 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Depth is my concern and if we could grab a proven grad transfer at DT that would be nice. I don’t think you can ever have too many DT.

A lot of our DEs are 4i techs that can play the 3 tech if we go to a 4 man line. Our B backers (Ossai, McCulloch, and Vaughns) can play WDE in a 4 man front. I really doubt we add a grad transfer DT. OL, LB, and CB should be the priority.

Edited by Schulz2.0

17 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Ideally 2 NTs, starter and backup.  2-3 DTs who can play 4i in a 3 man front, 3 tech in a 4 man front or situational NT for a better pass rush. Then at least 2 pure DE types.

Based on the Sugar Bowl, I'd say that NT is addressed with Wilbon, Coburn and maybe Chisholm.  The DT/DE 4i starter is probably Graham with Ojomo and Chisholm for backup.  The other 4i spot is less settled.  Going to need either McCullough, Roach or Bimage to step up there.  Ossai looked great at Buck LB.  I feel a lot better about next year's DL after that game.

3 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Ideally 2 NTs, starter and backup.  2-3 DTs who can play 4i in a 3 man front, 3 tech in a 4 man front or situational NT for a better pass rush. Then at least 2 pure DE types.

Based on the Sugar Bowl, I'd say that NT is addressed with Wilbon, Coburn and maybe Chisholm.  The DT/DE 4i starter is probably Graham with Ojomo and Chisholm for backup.  The other 4i spot is less settled.  Going to need either McCullough, Roach or Bimage to step up there.  Ossai looked great at Buck LB.  I feel a lot better about next year's DL after that game.

I would be very surprised if Roach didn't start next season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yes the odd front starters will be Graham, Wilbon, and Roach.

I ain’t losing sleep about going into next year with these guy on the line. Plug in promising guys like Coburn and Ossai and the front 7 should be pretty good. 

4 minutes ago, RandomIdoit said:

What's the deal with DCG? Is he that bad?

No clue.  Lots of hype around how good his first step was and his motor when he signed under Strong.  He’s played in spots but he will get passed up by Coburn soon.  I think he’s probably more of a 4-3 DT and probably can’t hold up at NT.

On another note, really hope we see more fronts with both Wilbon and Coburn together.  Those two were wrecking havoc against the Georgia OL.  

Edited by victory88

Also, if LJ comes back, there really won’t any starting spots open at WR.  With the 4 incoming freshman coming in, we will have 13 WRs on the roster assuming Jaimison moves back to defense.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see Burt grad transfer and Jordan Pouncy to look elsewhere based on no substantial information.  Can’t imagine Burt redshirted this year to sit the bench his senior year.  He should have his degree by now.  Eagles, Woodard, Moore, Epps will also be looking for reps with the incoming talented freshmen.  

7 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Also, if LJ comes back, there really won’t any starting spots open at WR.  With the 4 incoming freshman coming in, we will have 13 WRs on the roster assuming Jaimison moves back to defense.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see Burt grad transfer and Jordan Pouncy to look elsewhere based on no substantial information.  Can’t imagine Burt redshirted this year to sit the bench his senior year.  He should have his degree by now.  Eagles, Woodard, Moore, Epps will also be looking for reps with the incoming talented freshmen.  

I'd like Burt to stay.  He has speed.

So is this what the 2-deep looks like next year up front? Will Ossai play some DE and can anyone else step up at MLB/ROV?

DE: 1. Graham 2. ??
NT: 1. Wilbon 2. Coburn
DE: 1. Roach 2. Bimage
BLB: 1. McCulloch 2. Ossai
MLB: Dele/Floyd?
ROV: 1. Caleb Johnson 2. Overshown??

20 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

My concern about DT was more about 2020 than 2019. I think we've got plenty of talent and bodies for next year, but there is nothing on the depth chart between 3 senior DTs and 2 RS Freshmen. I do think Sweat moves inside and maybe Carson too. We are probably better off there than at first blush, especially when you throw Graham in the mix as well. If I'm not mistaken, they even had Roach playing nose on passing downs the other night.