Texas roster 2019

Machinator

A lot of our DEs are 4i techs that can play the 3 tech if we go to a 4 man line. Our B backers (Ossai, McCulloch, and Vaughns) can play WDE in a 4 man front. I really doubt we add a grad transfer DT. OL, LB, and CB should be the priority.

My concern is the quality of DT upperclassman. Chisholm and Christmas could not crack much playing time, with Chisholm ultimately red-shirting. Wilson has been ok, not great. The two freshmen/sophomores are still young and not to full strength. Next year we will have to slide over DE’s, and that will make DE a little thinner. We have enough quantity. I think one good quality DT graduate would help a lot if there is one out there.

13 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

My concern is the quality of DT upperclassman. Chisholm and Christmas could not crack much playing time, with Chisholm ultimately red-shirting. Wilson has been ok, not great. The two freshmen/sophomores are still young and not to full strength. Next year we will have to slide over DE’s, and that will make DE a little thinner. We have enough quantity. I think one good quality DT graduate would help a lot if there is one out there.

They purposely redshirted Chisholm like they did with John Burt. Christmas played a decent amount. I really have zero concerns with Wilbon and Coburn at DT.

If we use a B backer (or 4 man DL) the depth chart still looks like this:

4i: Graham/Ojomo/Sweat/Carson

NT: Wilbon/Coburn/Christmas/Chisholm

4i: Roach/J. Jones/Bimage/Warren/Mpagi

B: Ossai/McCulloch/Vaughns

• Like 1

On 1/3/2019 at 8:44 AM, BornOrange said:

CB Coach Washington will have to earn his paycheck next season. CB is a harsh position, especially in the wide open Big 12.

Almost all of the corners we remember with fondness were ugly ducklings as freshmen and sophomores. Most recently we had Hill, Boyd, and Davis show some promise as freshmen before regressing as sophomores. Both years there were frequent breakdowns and WR's running free scoring looooong TD's.

If we are to win the conference next year Cook, Green, and Watson will have to have huge seasons. If Boyce is ever going to contribute, next year would be the time.

A grad transfer shutdown corner would be nice. That's even less likely than Boyce contributing, but a boy can dream.

I don't think CB play is a litmus test for winning the B12.

OU went 9-1 in conference this season with absolute trash in the secondary.

If we are hanging 45-50 points a game on occasion (as I think we absolutely should) all we need from the CB spot is protecting big plays and not handing out PI calls. 

That might be a lot to ask of that unit but it isn't out of reason.

On 1/3/2019 at 9:44 AM, BornOrange said:

CB Coach Washington will have to earn his paycheck next season. CB is a harsh position, especially in the wide open Big 12.

Almost all of the corners we remember with fondness were ugly ducklings as freshmen and sophomores. Most recently we had Hill, Boyd, and Davis show some promise as freshmen before regressing as sophomores. Both years there were frequent breakdowns and WR's running free scoring looooong TD's.

If we are to win the conference next year Cook, Green, and Watson will have to have huge seasons. If Boyce is ever going to contribute, next year would be the time.

A grad transfer shutdown corner would be nice. That's even less likely than Boyce contributing, but a boy can dream.

Their struggles had a lot more to do with coaching than their experience imo. Cook looked pretty good at the end of the season. We've actually had a lot of CBs that played early and well. Not as good as their junior/senior years, but good enough.

Edited by Bevo14

They purposely redshirted Chisholm like they did with John Burt. Christmas played a decent amount. I really have zero concerns with Wilbon and Coburn at DT.

I’ll admit it’s way better depth than we’ve had for a long time. We won’t get elite play from a grad transfer DL either, so maybe you guys are right and I’m over-focused on DL depth. I don’t happen to think that Bimage is big enough to be a real factor at 4i going forward but I hope I’m wrong on this.
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Takes a year to get adjusted for Australians. I actually feel really good about special teams if we can get a return game now. 

I feel OK about dicker but he had a few too many WTF shortish-kicks this year.  the good news is he didn't have a kick cost us a game, and had the OU game winner, but a few could have.  would have been nice if he had made the short one against Ga so we didn't have to sweat the onsides. few too many KO's out of bounds.

he has the leg but need more consistency. he was a true frosh so I hope he improves and it was much better than rowland's coin flip every time he went out.

we are solid on ST but not great. KO return coverage needs to improve a bit.

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I feel OK about dicker but he had a few too many WTF shortish-kicks this year.  the good news is he didn't have a kick cost us a game, and had the OU game winner, but a few could have.  would have been nice if he had made the short one against Ga so we didn't have to sweat the onsides. few too many KO's out of bounds.

he has the leg but need more consistency. he was a true frosh so I hope he improves and it was much better than rowland's coin flip every time he went out.

we are solid on ST but not great. KO return coverage needs to improve a bit.

Short one?  It was 45 yards.  

14 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Saw Brandon's interview on LHN after Sugar Bowl Victory.... seems like a great young man.  

This is where the money they get now might help a kid stay but if he's really dirt poor and they say he will get drafted but can't really improve to round 1 and 2 for whatever reason then he should leave.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Short one?  It was 45 yards.  

in a dome for a kid with his leg that is not long.  sure its not sub 40 but it was also not close it was almost a shank.  

I said he's solid and a damn sight better than rowland but we roasted Rose for similar stats.  I'm just saying he needs to get better and I think he will.  the expectations for kicker at Texas are pretty high historically.  I think he'll get there.  he hit one of the more pressure packed kicks you'll have from 40+ this year.

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

I don't think CB play is a litmus test for winning the B12.

OU went 9-1 in conference this season with absolute trash in the secondary.

If we are hanging 45-50 points a game on occasion (as I think we absolutely should) all we need from the CB spot is protecting big plays and not handing out PI calls. 

That might be a lot to ask of that unit but it isn't out of reason.

Maybe not a great example. OU could afford to give up 500 yards and 40 points a game, because they got even more.

Luckily we have a pretty good offense too, only limited by our O line next year. If we get that straight look out world.

6 hours ago, dcar00 said:

This is where the money they get now might help a kid stay but if he's really dirt poor and they say he will get drafted but can't really improve to round 1 and 2 for whatever reason then he should leave.

I go back and forth on if he would improve his draft stock next year. I feel like he will shoot up the boards at the combine. I could easily see him going in the 3rd round. If so I say he should go based on the home situation with his mom. He is a great kid.

21 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Saw Brandon's interview on LHN after Sugar Bowl Victory.... seems like a great young man.  

He's an awesome person. I remember some well documented videos of the guy and his family and he had winner written all over him.  I could be wrong but i think a&M may have made the videos.

16 hours ago, Disco Missile said:

Machinator,

Wescott over at BON put out two roster articles. You see them?

2019 Depth Chart

Roster Matrix

Interesting that he has Whittington on the outside instead of slot. And Josh Thompson ahead of Jalen Green.

Also Caleb Johnson is gonna need to pack on some lbs before he can start. He's listed at 215lbs. For reference, Floyd is at 245..

On 1/4/2019 at 11:20 AM, Schulz2.0 said:

Would rather see this:

4i: Graham/Jones

NT: Coburn

4i: Wilbon

B: Roach

Or to put it another way, I wouldn't want to be a Big 12 QB playing looking at that.

Edited by Thetexashammer

2 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Would rather see this:

4i: Graham/Jones

NT: Coburn

4i: Wilbon

B: Roach

Or to put it another way, I wouldn't want to be a Big 12 QB playing looking at that.

I would only want to run that lineup against LSU next year. Otherwise you aren’t generating much of a pass rush. Put Ossai at B and Roach at 4i in place of Wilbon and you might actually generate some pressure.

25 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I would only want to run that lineup against LSU next year. Otherwise you aren’t generating much of a pass rush. Put Ossai at B and Roach at 4i in place of Wilbon and you might actually generate some pressure.

I'll defer to people who clearly spend more time doing this, but how does Ossai, who's listed at 217, get more pass rush than Wilbon? 4i just means you line up over a gap rather than on a man. That puts Ossai outside against a tackle, which to me means no pressure at all.

When Herman made that comment about people complaining about how we don't do a 4 down line, I thought he was full of shit. People aren't asking for a Gary Johnson to put his hand down, they're asking for 280lb guys to set a wall. Clemson's smallest guy on the D line is 260. Bama's is 262. Bama's second smallest guy is 287. Clemson has two guys over 300 and two at 260ish.

Edited by Thetexashammer

50 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

I'll defer to people who clearly spend more time doing this, but how does Ossai, who's listed at 217, get more pass rush than Wilbon? 4i just means you line up over a gap rather than on a man. That puts Ossai outside against a tackle, which to me means no pressure at all.

Not sure where you're seeing that.  The official website lists Ossai at 6'4" 245 lbs.  He's a grown man and played like it in the Sugar Bowl (8 tackles, 5 solo).

When Herman made that comment about people complaining about how we don't do a 4 down line, I thought he was full of shit. People aren't asking for a Gary Johnson to put his hand down, they're asking for 280lb guys to set a wall. Clemson's smallest guy on the D line is 260. Bama's is 262. Bama's second smallest guy is 287. Clemson has two guys over 300 and two at 260ish.

Smaller guys make better pass rushers on the outside.  OU had Striker as an edge rusher from their 4 man fronts at 5'11" 215 lbs.  He averaged 62 tackles, 15 TFL and 8 sacks per year his last 3 seasons there.  The Sugar Bowl was the first chance to play a lot of 4 DL fronts.  That scheme would have gotten eaten up in league play. 

We will be deep at WR next year whether LJH comes back or not.  One guy I'm excited about that has insane athleticism is Brennan Eagles.  He was one of the best WRs in the country in high school.  He's already college ready physically.  Hopefully they can develop him this offseason to become a complete WR.  He has the break out speed that Collin and LJH don't have.

Edited by victory88

It seems that serviceable to good RBs from the state of Texas are scattered all over the country year in and out.  It's bizarre that that is one of our weak spots.

The last first round draftees on the offensive line or at running back were recruited by John Mackovic.

Without looking up things, I’d say we could traditionally line up and run the ball well with a running back during these seasons the past 20 years:

2001-2007

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

We will be deep at WR next year whether LJH comes back or not.  One guy I'm excited about that has insane athleticism is Brennan Eagles.  He was one of the best WRs in the country in high school.  He's already college ready physically.  Hopefully they can develop him this offseason to become a complete WR.  He has the break out speed that Collin and LJH don't have.

I believe there were some reports (IT maybe?) that he was a little stiffer than they'd hoped on the field. He has the explosiveness measurable for sure. 

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

Mehringer is on the case!

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

The last first round draftees on the offensive line or at running back were recruited by John Mackovic.

Without looking up things, I’d say we could traditionally line up and run the ball well with a running back during these seasons the past 20 years:

2001-2007

Well, Cedric Benson was a Mack recruit. And Jamaal Charles probably should have been a first rounder. But yeah, even those guys were a long time ago. Crazy that we haven't had a first-round OL since what - Mike Williams?

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Well, Cedric Benson was a Mack recruit. And Jamaal Charles probably should have been a first rounder. But yeah, even those guys were a long time ago. Crazy that we haven't had a first-round OL since what - Mike Williams?

Mike Williams was a transition class guy from Mackovic, too

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

2001-2007

2004-2007, 2016 are probably the only years where we could consistently do it against stout runs defenses.

On 1/4/2019 at 12:56 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Buj was much better the second half of the year than the first.  

I’ve noticed Buj will hold the ball an extra tick or two before booting it if there’s a light rush.  helps the coverage team get downfield.  dicko was a wizard at that; maybe he’s coached his cousin a little.

On 1/4/2019 at 12:44 PM, texasstrong12 said:

Michael Dickson averaged 41.3 yards a punt his FR year. Bujveski average 40.3 yards a punt his FR year. 

I bet this would surprise a lot of people. 

I think if anyone did a side by side comparison to between the two freshman years that honestly it would look very similar.  The leap Dicko made his sophomore year though resembled a full year of how Buj looked v. GA.  I suspect that the bowl practice he got was a huge help because ultimately kid can kick - it's just a matter of adjusting to the new rules and new pressure of football.

3 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Everything I've seen list Cade Brewer as a Jr next year instead of a Redshirt Sophomore. Didn't he redshirt this year? 

Brewer was not a 2018 Redshirt.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proejected  Longhorn 2018 Redshirt List 

OL

Junior Angilau, Reese Moore, Rafiti Ghirmai, Christian Jones, Denzel Okafor

DL

Keondre Coburn, Michael Williams, Daniel Carson, Moro Ojomo, Jamari Chisholm

WR

John Burt, Al'vonte Woodard, Malcolm Epps

QB

Cam Rising, Casey Thompson,  Shane Buechele

LB

Byron Vaughns , Ayodele Adeoye   

RB

Kyle Porter, Toneil Carter

15 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Did he get into more than 4 games this year?

Brewer played in all 14 Games per TexasSports.com

Participation

Player Participation
# Player Games Played
40 Adeoye, Ayodele 4
66 Anderson, Calvin 14
47 Beck, Andrew 14
42 Bimage, Marqez 9
38 Boyce, Kobe 6
2 Boyd, Kris 14
80 Brewer, Cade 14
15 Brown, Chris 14
7 Buechele, Shane 2
8 Bujcevski, Ryan 14
1 Burt, John 4
91 Chisholm, Jamari 4
55 Christmas-Giles, D'Andre 7
99 Coburn, Keondre 3

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Well shit. I guess college football reference is a garbage resource for this sort of thing.

College Football Reference is stat-driven - so players that play on ST's and don't appear in the box score aren't going to show up as a participant in their 'Games' column.   Reese Leitao played in every game this season but doesn't show up at all on the site because he was on ST's and hasn't accumulated any 'stats'.