Texas roster 2019

Machinator

2 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Well shit. I guess college football reference is a garbage resource for this sort of thing.

The guys who run CFB-reference are data analysis types, they really don't care much about the sport of CFB. This leads to inconsistencies sometimes, e.g. when counting stats from bowl games.

14 hours ago, victory88 said:

We will be deep at WR next year whether LJH comes back or not.  One guy I'm excited about that has insane athleticism is Brennan Eagles.  He was one of the best WRs in the country in high school.  He's already college ready physically.  Hopefully they can develop him this offseason to become a complete WR.  He has the break out speed that Collin and LJH don't have.

So far he is in the role of looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. That has been the Knock on him since HS.... athletic freak as far as measurables but only managed a single catch all year.

Not sure where else to put this:

Which Teams Can End the Alabama / Clemson Run of Title Games?

https://sports.yahoo.com/teams-break-another-alabama-clemson-title-game-next-season-004840712.html

Texas Longhorns

The Longhorns take a lot of momentum into the offseason after whipping Georgia in the Sugar Bowl and appearing in the Big 12 title game. Quarterback Sam Ehlinger keeps getting better, looking more like Tim Tebow with each physical run and clutch pass. Receiver Collin Johnson’s decision to return to school was big — and if he’s joined by fellow junior Lil’Jordan Humphrey it would be huge. There will be some rebuilding to do on a defense that started eight seniors in the Sugar Bowl.

The schedule: There is a huge yardstick game Sept. 7, when LSU visits Austin. But after what’s happened the last two seasons against Maryland, the Longhorns will have to be ready for the opener against a Louisiana Tech program that is usually competitive.

The problem: Texas won 10 games in 2018, but was hardly a dominant team. Almost every game was decided by one score, and the Longhorns actually gave up more yards per play (5.61) than they gained (5.51). It’s a big leap up to taking down Alabama or Clemson.

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

The problem: Texas won 10 games in 2018, but was hardly a dominant team. Almost every game was decided by one score, and the Longhorns actually gave up more yards per play (5.61) than they gained (5.51). It’s a big leap up to taking down Alabama or Clemson.

This is a problem.  We need to start putting teams away.  Hopefully that's the next step in the progression of Herman's Longhorns.

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

This is a problem.  We need to start putting teams away.  Hopefully that's the next step in the progression of Herman's Longhorns.

Really hoping that we can incorporate some of the more athletic recruits on offense (Jake Smith and Jordan Whittington) early.  They mentioned in the Sugar Bowl we were one of only two teams in FBS to not have a 50+ yard play.   I think kids like Smith and Whittington can bring those big plays to this offense.

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Really hoping that we can incorporate some of the more athletic recruits on offense (Jake Smith and Jordan Whittington) early.  They mentioned in the Sugar Bowl we were one of only two teams in FBS to not have a 50+ yard play.   I think kids like Smith and Whittington can bring those big plays to this offense.

This team had to work way too hard to put points on the board. Just about every score was a multi-play grind. I'm not sure how much you can count on true freshman but I think Ingram getting a full off season in the strength and conditioning program should bring some added explosiveness to the running game.

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

This team had to work way too hard to put points on the board. Just about every score was a multi-play grind. I'm not sure how much you can count on true freshman but I think Ingram getting a full off season in the strength and conditioning program should bring some added explosiveness to the running game.

I'm probably wrong, but I don't think we should really expect explosive plays out of Ingram.  He's more the type that can turn what should be a 4 yard gain into a 12 yard gain - but I can't see him breaking off 40 yard gains with any regularity (his longest of this season was 31 yards).  A healthier Ingram will definitely be a boon to this offense and should allow us to build and protect leads better than we did this season.

If we get Johnson and LJH back - with a healthy and rested Ingram - I expect big things from this offense even without freshman contributions.  But I think we'll still be missing those 'explosive' plays.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'm probably wrong, but I don't think we should really expect explosive plays out of Ingram.  He's more the type that can turn what should be a 4 yard gain into a 12 yard gain - but I can't see him breaking off 40 yard gains with any regularity (his longest of this season was 31 yards).  A healthier Ingram will definitely be a boon to this offense and should allow us to build and protect leads better than we did this season.

If we get Johnson and LJH back - with a healthy and rested Ingram - I expect big things from this offense even without freshman contributions.  But I think we'll still be missing those 'explosive' plays.

Lots of guys break off big runs that aren't considered burners. Angles, second-level blocking, etc all play a part. #statingtheobvious.

1 hour ago, Texasborn91 said:

So far he is in the role of looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. That has been the Knock on him since HS.... athletic freak as far as measurables but only managed a single catch all year.

Sounds like an SEC WR.  But you know he'll get better coaching at TEXAS.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

First you lose by a lot (Strong's last year), then you lose by a little (Herman year 1), then you win by a little (Herman year 2), then you win by a lot (Herman year 3?). 

Edited by Vertigo

54 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I remember the 05 team, they would play average for a half or a quarter, then score 28 points in 5 or 10 minutes and the other team never knew what hit them. 

I agree with quite a few that this team needs to work on big “explosive” (in my Mack voice) plays.  On the flip side, this offense has become very good at sustaining long time eating drives.  We’ve had quite a few this year where we just take our time and slowly drive down to score 10-15 yard plays at a time and eat up clock.  Those drives completely demoralize a defense.  It’s not like they miss an assignment and give up a big play.  On those drives, they just straight up get beat in the trenches.  This is the first time in a long time that teams are expecting a fist fight against Texas.  We used to have the soft label.  I don’t know if many of you noticed, but a lot of members of the mational media have noticed our “bully” attitude we have and have commented on it.  I give props to Herman for this.  That is not an easy mentality to instill.

To add the cherry on top, Riley’s air raid has made Oklahoma soft.  We’ve been the aggressor in that match up for a few years now and I don’t see that changing.

Edited by victory88

3 hours ago, victory88 said:

I agree with quite a few that this team needs to work on big “explosive” (in my Mack voice) plays.  On the flip side, this offense has become very good at sustaining long time eating drives.  We’ve had quite a few this year where we just take our time and slowly drive down to score 10-15 yard plays at a time and eat up clock.  Those drives completely demoralize a defense.  It’s not like they miss an assignment and give up a big play.  On those drives, they just straight up get beat in the trenches.  This is the first time in a long time that teams are expecting a fist fight against Texas.  We used to have the soft label.  I don’t know if many of you noticed, but a lot of members of the mational media have noticed our “bully” attitude we have and have commented on it.  I give props to Herman for this.  That is not an easy mentality to instill.

To add the cherry on top, Riley’s air raid has made Oklahoma soft.  We’ve been the aggressor in that match up for a few years now and I don’t see that changing.

Teams that grind you down almost always do so with a superior OL and/or transcendent RB.  What Herman has done the last couple of years is more like what the service academies do with the triple option - just with more talent.  And unlike the 'bone this offense doesn't have the big downside in the passing game.  It incorporates the pass into the grinding, smash mouth philosophy.  It's an amazing job of scheming around what could have been a fatal weakness.

Edited by sushihorn
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Better cohesion between Ehlinger and Duvernay will go a long way towards adding explosive plays. They had to miss on at least 4 or 5 forty yard plus plays last season, if not more.

Yep.

Sam's inability to connect on seam/post/skinny-posts brought that number way down.  Deep middle seemed to be kryptonite.

41 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Yep.

Sam's inability to connect on seam/post/skinny-posts brought that number way down.  Deep middle seemed to be kryptonite.

If Sam threw over the middle of the field to someone other than LJH, it generally went poorly.  How many walk-in TDs did he miss to Beck down the seam, too?

• Like 1

Beck isn’t a very good route runner. We got much more out of Beck in the passing game than what anyone was expecting but he’s not a very good receiving tight end. 

Ehlinger missed him a few times but Beck also has a terrible feel in the passing game. 

We will miss Beck’s ability to block but I wouldn’t be surprised if Liebrock is a better receiving option day 1. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Is Leitao not an option? I remember 9.95rs hailing him as early contributor, but haven’t seen his name called yet

I believe he's definitely in the mix for next year (his sophomore campaign).  We'll know by about mid season if he's ready to share time / compete with Cade Brewer.  I think the incoming freshmen TEs are all going to need a redshirt year, but if we see one of them getting snaps over Leitao and him getting no play as a situational blocker, I think that's the beginning of his end here and likely he ends up transferring in today's environment.

9 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I bet Cade Brewer takes a step next year. He looked good as a frosh and seems like a natural receiver. Doesn't it normally take a year to get back to full speed after his injury?

He only blew out one knee, so he was still able to take a step last offseason and this year.  The question is: Can he take two steps?

19 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Lol it's like they've already forgotten the Sugar Bowl

DwV50mFVAAIylsW.jpg

aggy self-awareness is legendary in the same sense as unicorns are.  This is their reaction to the strongest running team in the SEC being stuffed and held to less than half what the Alabama D gave up?  The cognitive dissonance of their belief system would cause a meltdown if they attempted to reconcile the data logically.  Fortunately they just filter out the facts and select a tiny subset that might be twisted to support their pre-existing condition (aggyness).

aggy is the poster child for confirmation bias.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

aggy self-awareness is legendary in the same sense as unicorns are.  This is their reaction to the strongest running team in the SEC being stuffed and held to less than half what the Alabama D gave up?  The cognitive dissonance of their belief system would cause a meltdown if they attempted to reconcile the data logically.  Fortunately they just filter out the facts and select a tiny subset that might be twisted to support their pre-existing condition (aggyness).

aggy is the poster child for confirmation bias.

The best part about all of this is they now think they can walk into Athens, Georgia next November and get a win because Texas beat them.

On 1/7/2019 at 9:16 AM, South Austin said:

if we are going to play it, Orlando needs to learn how to teach our guys to play a competent prevent defense. there is some benefit to doing it but it's not just "keep everything in front of you" type stuff.

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

if we are going to play it, Orlando needs to learn how to teach our guys to play a competent prevent defense. there is some benefit to doing it but it's not just "keep everything in front of you" type stuff.

Seriously. Maybe he finally had a light bulb go off against UGA bc we blitzed the crap out of them on that 3-and-out drive with ~7 min left (the final TD drive doesn't count - they wouldn't have scored w/o 45 penalty yards)