Texas roster 2019

Machinator

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Undersized was the usual knock on him.

Which doesn't make sense because he can't be that much smaller than GJ (not saying he has the same speed.) This is the type of guy that normally goes to frog or okie lite and kicks our asses for 3 years. 

Instead he came to Austin and never made it past ST contributor. 

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Machinator said:

Here's his highlights: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11291427/5ba8385eb0232508d8b712fc

Has four years to play three.

Time to update pg1 of  thread...  Thx Machinator

Roster Scholly #'s at 83 now??

Tristan still hasn't found a new home yet??

Will we see a few Texas players enter the transfer portal  in next few weeks maybe??

Edited by LTtxfan

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Time to update pg1 of  thread...  Thx Machinator

Roster Scholly #'s at 83 now??

Tristan still hasn't found a new home yet??

Will we see a few Texas players enter the transfer portal  in next few weeks maybe??

Yeah, I've updated it.

The unofficial scholarship count going into the summer is likely to be 80, because I don't think Boyd, Houston, or Rowland will be part of the program going forward.

52 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Yeah, I've updated it.  The unofficial scholarship count going into the summer is likely to be 80, because I don't think Boyd, Houston, or Rowland will be part of the program going forward.

Thx Machinator  👍

You need an emoji.... 

Edited by LTtxfan

Does the scholly count include Derrian Brown?

We don't really expect him to play, do we? We can work some kind of med deal, if necessary, can we? No doubt we can do med for the full ride, but can we start with med and then come back to athletics?

Is it wrong that my reaction to the transfer portal was a yawn? Of course it would be great to have Buechele back as an insurance policy on Sam, and TC as depth to a position that's a little thin now..but we all knew one of Rising/Thompson wouldn't last here, but still a bit surprising which one stayed..

Other than those 3, the portal hasn't bitten us in ass, but would have if Thompson had left his name in. Rojo will be good, but he's not ready for backup duty in '19..

3 hours ago, ousux said:

Is it wrong that my reaction to the transfer portal was a yawn? Of course it would be great to have Buechele back as an insurance policy on Sam, and TC as depth to a position that's a little thin now..but we all knew one of Rising/Thompson wouldn't last here, but still a bit surprising which one stayed..

Other than those 3, the portal hasn't bitten us in ass, but would have if Thompson had left his name in. Rojo will be good, but he's not ready for backup duty in '19..

If Dele or Overshown were to portal out as rumored, Horns Fans would not be yawning...

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

When has Overshown ever been rumored to enter the portal?

There were some posts on Surly earlier in the spring about him being unhappy.... fwiw

Sorry, not trying to cause concern.  Not aware of any new Longhorn FB players wanting to enter the portal so far this spring... 😀

Edited by LTtxfan

25 minutes ago, BigLonghorn said:

Who do y'all think will be starting O-line? I don't see Ghirmai or Angilau making a push for serious playing time just yet and Tyler Johnson will most definitely get a redshirt. Other than that Moore and C. Jones? 

Cosmi Braun Shack Okafor Kerstetter

I think that’s most likely, unless Braun redshirts. I have a hard time seeing the staff agree to RS Braun becuase we don’t really have a good option to replace him, but maybe the staff had to promise Braun he could RS in order to get him.

Angilau (and the other 1st or 2nd year guys) is too raw and inexperienced to hold up right away, especially against LSU in week 2, and Tope Imade just isn’t that good. If Hudson could’ve stayed healthy, we could’ve afforded to RS Braun this year.

Made some changes. Removed Bru and some of the other players who have been in the Portal - I assume they won't be part of the program going forward even if they haven't found a destination. Also shifted around some players based on where they primarily played this spring.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Made some changes. Removed Bru and some of the other players who have been in the Portal - I assume they won't be part of the program going forward even if they haven't found a destination. Also shifted around some players based on where they primarily played this spring.

What are the frownie faces for?

On 5/16/2019 at 4:56 PM, BigLonghorn said:

Who do y'all think will be starting O-line? I don't see Ghirmai or Angilau making a push for serious playing time just yet and Tyler Johnson will most definitely get a redshirt. Other than that Moore and C. Jones? 

Cosmi Braun Shack Okafor Kerstetter

Angilau was starting guard at the spring game.  If Braun takes over that spot, he will be the 1st interior guy off the bench.  He's 100% going to be playing and I wouldn't be surprised if he takes over the other guard spot and we have Kerstetter/Okafor battle it out for RT.  Angilau is extremely athletic and strong.  Dude mauls in the run game and the light is starting to switch on.  They're getting him ready to play.

Edited by victory88
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 7:49 PM, victory88 said:

Angilau was starting guard at the spring game.  If Braun takes over that spot, he will be the 1st interior guy off the bench.  He's 100% going to be playing and I wouldn't be surprised if he takes over the other guard spot and we have Kerstetter/Okafor battle it out for RT.  Angilau is extremely athletic and strong.  Dude mauls in the run game and the light is starting to switch on.  They're getting him ready to play.

I hope this turns out to be true.  Okafor still doesn’t look consistent.

40 minutes ago, Pal of Mao said:

I hope this turns out to be true.  Okafor still doesn’t look consistent.

If you have issues with inconsistency on the OL, Angilau winning a starting spot is not what you should be hoping for. He’s still raw as hell and is gonna be prone to a ton of mistakes if asked to start this year. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

48 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If you have issues with inconsistency on the OL, Angilau winning a starting spot is not what you should be hoping for. He’s still raw as hell and is gonna be prone to a ton of mistakes if asked to start this year. 

Lawyers are often too risk averse. If Angilau is the highest upside at the spot, he should get the snaps now and figure it out asap. You cannot ease someone into the lake of fire. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Lawyers are often too risk averse. If Angilau is the highest upside at the spot, he should get the snaps now and figure it out asap. You cannot ease someone into the lake of fire. 

Joke’s on you. I’m with the FBI. 

I get what you’re saying, but that only makes sense if there’s not a large gap between the two. Based on what I saw in the spring game, Angilau is still extremely raw and would get killed if he’s playing against LSU in game 2. We’re talking about a guy who’s barely even taken pass pro snaps before getting on campus. It wouldn’t be crazy for him to still need a lot of work by the start of his second season.

We’ll see how much he develops between now and the fall. If he can close the gap with Okafor to the point where there’s not a whole lot of difference between the two, then I’ll be thrilled, but that seems pretty unlikely. 

The good thing is that I trust Hand to figure it out. It’s been a long fucking time since I’ve had hardly any faith at all in UT’s OL coach. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Updated 2018 Redshirts (games played in parentheses)

1. LB Ayodele Adeoye, FR (4)
  2. WR John Burt, SR (4)
  3. DL Jamari Chisholm, SR (4)
  4. DL Keondre Coburn, FR (3)
  5. WR/TE Malcolm Epps, FR (2)
  6. DL Moro Ojomo, FR (3)
  7. OL Denzel Okafor, JR (1)
  8. OL Junior Angilau, FR
  9. DL Daniel Carson, FR
  10. OL Rafiti Ghirmai FR
  11. OL Christian Jones, FR
  12. OL Reese Moore, FR
  13. QB Casey Thompson, FR
  14. LB Byron Vaughns, FR
  15. WR Al'Vonte Woodard, FR

12 Freshmen, 1 Junior, 2 Seniors

Freshman 4 OL, 3 DL, 2 LB, 2 WR, 1 QB

Edited by LTtxfan

• 2 weeks later...

Dropping in this thread a good article discussing roster management for CFB.....

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2017/1/31/14348104/college-football-recruiting-class-limits-national-signing-day

How years of scholarship planning set up each team’s National Signing Day

Interesting stuff about Walk-ons in article... they probably become more valuable now because of more activity in the transfer portal.

"Walk-ons who’ve been in school for two full years often fill in the margins when a school doesn’t have 85 after fall camp. Those players aren’t initial counters — one of a few workarounds to the rule — and their scholarships don’t have to be renewed."

Edited by LTtxfan

On 7/15/2019 at 5:29 PM, LTtxfan said:

Updated 2018 Redshirts (games played in parentheses)

1. LB Ayodele Adeoye, FR (4)
  2. WR John Burt, SR (4)
  3. DL Jamari Chisholm, SR (4)
  4. DL Keondre Coburn, FR (3)
  5. WR/TE Malcolm Epps, FR (2)
  6. DL Moro Ojomo, FR (3)
  7. OL Denzel Okafor, JR (1)
  8. OL Junior Angilau, FR
  9. DL Daniel Carson, FR
  10. OL Rafiti Ghirmai FR
  11. OL Christian Jones, FR
  12. OL Reese Moore, FR
  13. QB Casey Thompson, FR
  14. LB Byron Vaughns, FR
  15. WR Al'Vonte Woodard, FR

12 Freshmen, 1 Junior, 2 Seniors

Freshman 4 OL, 3 DL, 2 LB, 2 WR, 1 QB

Good article about Freshmen on 2019 Roster....

"2019 Texas Roster Inventory: The Freshmen"

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/Texas-Longhorns-football-2019-roster-inventory-freshmen-class-Jordan-Whittington-Jake-Smith-134051729/#134051729_1

Edited by LTtxfan

2019 Early Enrollees.... 

1. QB    Roshon Johnson    (FR)
  2. ATH   Jordan Whittington. (FR)
  3. TE      Jared Wiley      (FR)
  4. OL      Tyler Johnson   (FR)
  5. LB      De'Gabriel Floyd   (FR)
  6. LB    Marcus Tillman     (FR)
  7. LB      Peter Mpagi        (FR)
  8. DE      Jacoby Jones    (JR)
  9. LB    Caleb Johnson     (JR)

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2019/1/17/18187135/texas-longhorns-early-enrollees-2019-degabriel-floyd-tyler-johnson-jordan-whittington

2019 Freshman Signees

Early Enrollees

1. QB    Roshon Johnson    
  2. ATH   Jordan Whittington. 
  3. TE      Jared Wiley      
  4. OL      Tyler Johnson   
  5. LB      De'Gabriel Floyd   
  6. LB    Marcus Tillman     
  7. LB      Peter Mpagi        

Summer Enrollees

1. S     Tyler Owens,
  2. S     Chris Adimora
  3. CB   Kenyatta Watson
  4. CB   Marques Caldwell
  5. WR  Jake Smith
  6. WR   Marcus Washington
  7. WR   Kennedy Lewis
  8. TE    Brayden Liebrock
  9. OL    Javonne Shepherd
  10. OL    Isaiah Hookfin
  11. DL    T'Vondre Sweat
  12. DL    Myron Warren
  13. LB    David Gbenda

Fall Enrollee

RB   Derrian Brown

With Hine and Jaquess now on scholarship, we are up to 81. I also made some other changes, such as moving Eagles to Z, Duvernay to H, Ojomo and Sweat to DT/NT, and Adimora to nickel based on early reports and press conferences. Extensive cross-training at linebacker, safety, and OL means positional designations for certain players shouldn't be considered canon.

• 2 weeks later...