Texas roster 2019

Machinator

On 1/7/2019 at 10:22 AM, Vertigo said:

I remember the 05 team, they would play average for a half or a quarter, then score 28 points in 5 or 10 minutes and the other team never knew what hit them. 

In a funny interview with the Pardon My Take guys, VY said his play style was always “chill in the first half, then go the fuck off.” They now reference that phrase all the time. 

23 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

6'5" 230 with ball skills, maybe they will leave Malcom Epps at WR and develop him into a Collin Johnson/Hakeem Butler type.    

21 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I thought the latest 9.95 report was just that -  Epps was looking more and more like he'll stay at WR.

Expect Epps to stay at WR his whole time here. He's not putting on weight like the staff thought he might be able to, and he's always been a terrible blocker. On the bright side, it sounds like he flashed quite a bit in practice this year as a guy who can go up and grab fades and body out corners for back shoulder throws and comeback routes. 

• Like 1

Isn’t Jordan Whittington enrolling early? They’ll plug him there immediately and let him and Josh Moore battle it out when he’s healthy.  I could be wrong but don’t think Jake Smith is enrolling early.  Wish he was as he’d be in the slot also.  I bet we see a steady rotation of Jwhit, Smith, and Moore next year and roll with who ever is making plays.  Eagles, Epps, and Washington will have to wait their turn to battle it out fo CJs spot.  Burt and Woodard should be behind Duverney as his position requires good speed.  

LJH wasn’t the fastest or most explosive but he was a guy that had a knack for the football and that’s what we will miss the most. Whittington has that ability even tho he’s not 6’4 and won’t be Mossing anyone. I don’t know about Moore, he needs to gain some muscle but with everything else, you got to like what you see. 

Either which way the coaches go, it’s going to bring competition and that’s always good for the team as a whole. Also if we don’t get a another RB then Whittington could spend some time Bach there which leaves space for Moore and Smith. 

29 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

If Whittington can help protect, I like having him as an APB and letting Smith compete with Moore when he gets here.

Whittington could be used in an Alvin Kamara role.   Line up at both RB & slot at Texas

• 8 to 10 carries per game
  • 6 to 8 Receptions per game

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Watch Kamara play for Saints this Weekend....

2018 Season - Alvin Kamara

Rush att     194 ......... Yds  883 ..... TD   14

Receptions  81 .......... Yds  709 ..... TD  4

Edited by LTtxfan

Biggest questions will be OL depth and front 7 depth.  This team has talent and experience everywhere.

QB: Ehlinger/Buechele/Rising/Johnson/Thompson; bound to lose one, as long as it's only 1 they're fine.  Moving forward QB recruiting will be strange.  2 methods I see are just replace transfers with grad transfers who don't mind backing up, or always recruit 1 athlete who can move to WR/TE if nobody leaves.  Essentially, the depth chart should always consist of the incumbent starter, a RS freshman, a true freshman, and either a grad transfer or an athlete.

RB: Ingram/Young/Johnson/Brown/Porter/Houston; I don't expect Porter or Houston to stay.  I see hope for Johnson and Brown contributing, Young is a solid reserve but they will need someone to step up as the primary backup.  But overall no major concerns.

WR: XWR: Johnson/Eagles/Washington/Epps; HWR: Smith/Whittington/Moore/Pouncey; ZWR: Duvernay/Burt/Woodard/Lewis; I believe there are at least 4 future NFL players in this group.  

TE: Brewer/Leitao/Cummins/Liebrock/Wiley; solid group, wouldn't be surprised to see Cummins move to OT, Brewer and Leitao won't be studs but I think they will get the job done.  Liebrock is a sleeper stud

OL: LT: Cosmi/Moore/Urquidez/Hookfin; LG: Imade/Angilau/Hudson; 😄 Shack/Kerstetter; RG: Okafor/Ghirmai; RT: TBD/Johnson/Jones; biggest ? on the team is OL depth. If they don't get at least 1 grad transfer who can contribute in a major way, they're fucked.  If they can get the freshmen ready in time, everything will be ok, but a few injuries, some attrition, and lack of development could derail a promising season.

DL: DE1: Graham/Bimage/Mpagi/Sweat; DT: Wilbon/Coburn/Christmas/Ojomo/Chisholm; DE2: Roach/Jones/Carson/Warren; They need Coburn to be a player but I think he will be.  Solid group.

LB: SLB: Ossai/Vaughns/Townsend MLB: McCulloch/Floyd/Adeoye/Boyd; WLB: Johnson/Gbenda/Overshown/Tillman; They will need at least 2 freshmen/rs freshmen to be major contributors but between McCulloch and Ossai the unit is solid at the top.  I don't expect Townsend or Boyd to be around.  Not a major concern.

DB: RCB: Cook/Watson/Caldwell; FS: Sterns/Foster/Estell; SS: Jones/Brown/Adimora/Owens; LCB: Boyce/Green/Duvernay; NB: Thompson/Jamison; Next to WR this is the deepest, most talented, most experienced group on the team.  EVen if Jones leaves this unit will be fine.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Supposedly there is interest between Jordan Moore joining the team, and he would likely be a NB.

I would do this only if there's no issue with scholarship numbers, and then mostly so you could have him host any prospect that we're battling A&M for so he could tell them first hand how what it's like to live in College Station and play for Jimbo.

Guys... That depth chart is a thing of beauty.  It's taken us years to get back to having depth at every position.

Remember when we only had 6 scholarship lineman when Strong got here?  Remember when we only had 2 fucking QBs, one who is now a TE and the other who is now a WR.  Remember when we had to start a walkon at safety or when we ever had a TE, let alone 4-5.  We've come a long ways.

Edited by victory88
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Biggest questions will be OL depth and front 7 depth.  This team has talent and experience everywhere.

QB: Ehlinger/Buechele/Rising/Johnson/Thompson; bound to lose one, as long as it's only 1 they're fine.  Moving forward QB recruiting will be strange.  2 methods I see are just replace transfers with grad transfers who don't mind backing up, or always recruit 1 athlete who can move to WR/TE if nobody leaves.  Essentially, the depth chart should always consist of the incumbent starter, a RS freshman, a true freshman, and either a grad transfer or an athlete.

RB: Ingram/Young/Johnson/Brown/Porter/Houston; I don't expect Porter or Houston to stay.  I see hope for Johnson and Brown contributing, Young is a solid reserve but they will need someone to step up as the primary backup.  But overall no major concerns.

WR: XWR: Johnson/Eagles/Washington/Epps; HWR: Smith/Whittington/Moore/Pouncey; ZWR: Duvernay/Burt/Woodard/Lewis; I believe there are at least 4 future NFL players in this group.  

TE: Brewer/Leitao/Cummins/Liebrock/Wiley; solid group, wouldn't be surprised to see Cummins move to OT, Brewer and Leitao won't be studs but I think they will get the job done.  Liebrock is a sleeper stud

OL: LT: Cosmi/Moore/Urquidez/Hookfin; LG: Imade/Angilau/Hudson; 😄 Shack/Kerstetter; RG: Okafor/Ghirmai; RT: TBD/Johnson/Jones; biggest ? on the team is OL depth. If they don't get at least 1 grad transfer who can contribute in a major way, they're fucked.  If they can get the freshmen ready in time, everything will be ok, but a few injuries, some attrition, and lack of development could derail a promising season.

DL: DE1: Graham/Bimage/Mpagi/Sweat; DT: Wilbon/Coburn/Christmas/Ojomo/Chisholm; DE2: Roach/Jones/Carson/Warren; They need Coburn to be a player but I think he will be.  Solid group.

LB: SLB: Ossai/Vaughns/Townsend MLB: McCulloch/Floyd/Adeoye/Boyd; WLB: Johnson/Gbenda/Overshown/Tillman; They will need at least 2 freshmen/rs freshmen to be major contributors but between McCulloch and Ossai the unit is solid at the top.  I don't expect Townsend or Boyd to be around.  Not a major concern.

DB: RCB: Cook/Watson/Caldwell; FS: Sterns/Foster/Estell; SS: Jones/Brown/Adimora/Owens; LCB: Boyce/Green/Duvernay; NB: Thompson/Jamison; Next to WR this is the deepest, most talented, most experienced group on the team.  EVen if Jones leaves this unit will be fine.

The largest issue with this analysis is the fact it is done based on current conditions. If our coaching staff is doing their job in the offseason, they shouldn't be "fucked" at any position.

34 minutes ago, Viper said:

I would do this only if there's no issue with scholarship numbers, and then mostly so you could have him host any prospect that we're battling A&M for so he could tell them first hand how what it's like to live in College Station and play for Jimbo.

Wonder if Jordan Moore is willing to take a PWO spot in hopes of earning a future Scholly??

40 minutes ago, pacman said:

The largest issue with this analysis is the fact it is done based on current conditions. If our coaching staff is doing their job in the offseason, they shouldn't be "fucked" at any position.

How else does one do analysis? Projecting hypothetical additions to the roster is not analysis but speculation.

6 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

I see the OL as:

Cosmi - Angilau/Imade / Shack / Okafor / Kerstetter

It would be great to get a couple of grad transfers for depth purposes.  The interior of the OL is a concern.  If Hudson can resume playing that would be a huge bonus.

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

For anyone who doesn't follow recruiting, this is what you have to look forward to when Jake Smith hits campus this summer.

I'm probably the only poster on this site that has a "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude towards this kid. He looks very fast with good hands, but that competition he was going up against left a lot to be desired. I think in terms of skill level it'd be like if he was tearing up 4A or 5A here in Texas. He seems like he could be a future star, I just don't see him being an all-world difference maker the second he steps on campus. It'll take him a bit to make the adjustment. 

• Like 1

Just now, Helobious said:

He seems like he could be a future star, I just don't see him being an all-world difference maker the second he steps on campus. It'll take him a bit to make the adjustment. 

I actually agree with that. Whittington will probably make a difference more quickly because (if nothing else) he's enrolling early. But Jake Smith's ceiling is as high as any player we've recruited on offense in years. He is one of the answers to "where are the explosive plays"? And he will play day 1, as will Whittington.

We hit the jackpot with Whittington, Smith, and Brown. We're gonna be explosive on offense. I don't give a rats ass that Smith played in Arizona. He's the Gatorade POY. Herman upgraded talent in a major way. Floyd will be a starter on defense and he's an animal. We have Brown and Whittington who are both APB, with Whittington able to play slot. Smith and Moore will split reps at a lot, too. Dev Duv and Smith are burners. Sam has an arsenal at his disposal with those guys, Ingram, and CJ9 coming back. I'm not even the least bit worried.

13 hours ago, Helobious said:

I'm probably the only poster on this site that has a "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude towards this kid. He looks very fast with good hands, but that competition he was going up against left a lot to be desired. I think in terms of skill level it'd be like if he was tearing up 4A or 5A here in Texas. He seems like he could be a future star, I just don't see him being an all-world difference maker the second he steps on campus. It'll take him a bit to make the adjustment. 

13 hours ago, Machinator said:

I actually agree with that. Whittington will probably make a difference more quickly because (if nothing else) he's enrolling early. But Jake Smith's ceiling is as high as any player we've recruited on offense in years. He is one of the answers to "where are the explosive plays"? And he will play day 1, as will Whittington.

These posts back to back are a bit humorous considering the classification Whittington is coming from.