2019 Rain Thread

Biff Tannen

Cold and 25-30mph gusts turned a Cub Scout campout this weekend into a “let’s see if our tens really hold up to their wind-ratings!”

I was supposed to take the kids on a Cub Scout trip this weekend but backed out bc of the weather. I have no interest in finding out how the tent holds up to its wind rating when it's just me, a 7-yo and a 10-yo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

On Thursday both KEYE and KVUE had 100% chance of rain for today.  One hundred percent. Now they’re both at 60%.

Aside from the obvious lack of understand of simple math, I wonder how today is actually going to shake out.  

The percentages went down once phdhorn said it would definitely rain.

32 minutes ago, South Austin said:

The percentages went down once phdhorn said it would definitely rain.

No, I said "South Austin is definitely a pain."  Someone changed it.

Rain gonna happen today about 3-7 p.m in the Metrohole.  Another round tomorrow morning.
Absolutely.  I'd put the chances squarely between 0% and 100%.  Book it.

Cow pissing (but quiet, no T or L) out here in Bee Cave - where it always rains.

Update:  Hailing quarter-sized in that storm west of Lakeway moving NE.   That'll dent cars.  Take care.  Also, these bands are training SW→NE but they will be drifting slowly eastward as the system moves through Texas.  Be on the alert - if this storm just west of ATX can throw down hail, it's a good bet another one will train up and do the same thing.  Cars should be protected next few hours, just in case.

Edited by phdhorn

50 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Cow pissing (but quiet, no T or L) out here in Bee Cave - where it always rains.

Update:  Hailing quarter-sized in that storm west of Lakeway moving NE.   That'll dent cars.  Take care.  Also, these bands are training SW→NE but they will be drifting slowly eastward as the system moves through Texas.  Be on the alert - if this storm just west of ATX can throw down hail, it's a good bet another one will train up and do the same thing.  Cars should be protected next few hours, just in case.

So is it “go find a helmet” , “put on the helmet”, or “bodies in trees”?

I love this weather alert:

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT UNTIL 1:45PM CDT SAT ...SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT... AT 1256 PM CDT, DOPPLER RADAR WAS TRACKING A STRONG THUNDERSTORM NEAR TAYLOR, MOVING NORTHEAST AT 25 MPH. HALF INCH HAIL AND WIND GUSTS OVER 30 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE WITH THIS STORM. LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE... AUSTIN, ROUND ROCK, PFLUGERVILLE, TAYLOR, ELGIN, GRANGER, WINDEMERE, HUTTO, MANOR, BARTLETT, THRALL, GRANGER DAM, COUPLAND, RICES CROSSING, LANEPORT, HOXIE, BEYARSVILLE, WATERLOO, HARE AND NOACK.

So Austin, Round Rock, Pflugerville, Elgin, Hutto, Manor etc. will be impacted by a storm moving NE from Taylor.  OK.  My map must be broken.

In Georgetown right now after driving down from DFW and it has been raining nonstop. No hail though. Hope nobody is going north to Dallas. Already passed 3 wrecks and it's backed up.

Time to head on over to Marble Falls. I'll keep track of the body count.

Bodies in trees = 0

Assholes driving without lights on = 5

Most of this line is now east of the 35 corridor... should taper off, maybe a few intermittent showers the rest of the day.

Another little wave moving through tomorrow early a.m., another good chance for lighter rain... then it all moves out the rest of Sunday.

Gonna be sunny and mid-80's for much of the coming week!

This is the weirdest thunder I’ve ever heard. Been sitting outside for a bit listening to the game. After a while I started thinking it hadn’t stopped thundering for a while. Started the stopwatch on my phone at that point and I’m at 13 minutes and counting without a break in the rumble. But the weird thing is that it sounds more like fighter jets circling than thunder. And explosions in the distance. It’s unsettling 

I've been given info that Grapeland had softball sized shots & there was damaging (enough) hail in Kyle & Lockhart.

The radar screenshot I saw had a good & purple-ish looking overlay on Wimberley, but reports of hail there haven't come in.

Tomorrow, me & the family are coming back to the ATX from Washington, DC.  Been here since Tuesday late.