2019 Rain Thread

Biff Tannen

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

It's never going to rain again.  I have to assume that the law of averages would suggest we were kind of due for a drought given that it's been a while since the last one. 

I think all of CenTex is still ahead of normal for the year.   The last year we had like this was ‘10.   Heavy rain and cooler than normal for April through end of June, hotter than normal Aug-Oct, then a cold ass winter.  Then summer ‘11 was serious drought 

Holy shit, I walked into my campus building for a 90 minute class.  Bone dry when I walked in.  Come out, waller creek is flowing insanely fast.  Inch and a half at my house, traffic almost at a standstill between the two because of a few puddles.  What the fuck was that?  I didn't see any of it happening in a classroom with no windows, but glad it did.  Only rain I can remember in the last month and only rain I see for the next month.  What a great spring (I consider Spring to go thru the equinox) , and what a shitastic summer proper in Austin.  

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

We are going camping in a couple of weeks.  If you’re around Austin, you will get plenty of rain thanks to us.  

Ha, yeah, I'll be camping out at Lost Pines with my son this weekend.  So I can guarantee rain in Bastrop, but Austin will still be bone dry.  Sorry...

Edited by utee94

14 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Well I'll be damned.  Getting an actual thunderstorm here in waco.  I'm so glad.  Grass was hurting my bare feet and I put out some water for bees the other day.

Yep.   And I was gonna mow the yard (for the last time this year more than likely) this evening.  Had also just pulled the cover off the grill to cook some ribeyes for dinner.  

Edited by Trey3216

The latest run of the European has 20" over Fort Bend County by Friday.

We need the rain but I'd rather we get 20 inches over, say, 3 MONTHS.

Dry all summer and then this is supposed to happen. 

Guess it's a good thing the Brazos is low right now because this thing is going right up the river. 

(I know it's more like 4-6 inches with the other models but you never know)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

Here is the latest update from Jeff Lindner for those of us in SE Texas:

Potential for heavy rainfall and flash flooding will be increasing this week

Weak low pressure system will meander near the TX coast for several days resulting in multiple impacts

Upper level low that has been talked about since Friday is now reaching the western Gulf of Mexico with both radars from Lake Charles and Houston showing numerous clusters and bands of rainfall across the NW Gulf waters associated with the deeper tropical moisture located just offshore. These bands will begin to rotate inland starting later this morning with very heavy rainfall and gusty winds of 40-45mph. As the upper level low moves slowly westward toward the mid TX coast a weak surface low or surface trough will be developing along the middle and upper TX coast. Models have come into a bit better agreement that a surface low pressure system may form just offshore on Tuesday and drift inland over SE TX Tuesday night into Wednesday. NHC currently gives the system a 10% chance of tropical formation…BUT regardless if something develops tropically or not…the main impact will be heavy rainfall.

Ingredients appear to be coming together in the late Tuesday through Thursday time period for a heavy rainfall event over the region. Surface trough or surface low will drift into the region from the south, PWS values soar to 2.2-2.5 inches, increasing low level SSE/SE flow will help pump an endless supply of moisture into the region. Formation of slow moving clusters and training rainbands appear likely over portions of the area.

While grounds are very dry over much of the region, this weather system will be very capable of producing excessive amounts of rainfall in a short period of time. Rains today and Tuesday especially south of I-10 will go into starting to saturate the very dry ground conditions and expect conditions by Wednesday to support much more run-off. Current HCFCD soil moisture sensors at a depth of 2 inches show moisture values ranging from a low of 4% in Tomball to a high 48% at NRG stadium. I have attached the current soil moisture values for the 2 inch and 4 inch depths across the area.

Rainfall Amounts:
Widespread rainfall amounts of 3-6 inches will be likely over much of the area with isolated totals of 10-15 inches possible. Hourly rainfall rates of 3-4 inches will be possible under any training bands and any slow moving clusters resulting in rapid onset urban flash flooding. The threat for creek, bayou, and river flooding will be increasing by mid week as grounds becoming increasingly saturated and run-off increases.

A flash flood watch will likely be required for portions of the area.

WPC has placed portions of the area under a slight risk for flash flooding for both Tuesday and Wednesday.

Tides:
ENE/E winds over the northern Gulf have resulted in increased tides along the upper TX coast with water levels running 1-2 feet above normal levels. Total water levels at times of high tide of 3.0-3.5 feet will be possible along the upper TX coast today which may result in minor coastal flooding at some of the more vulnerable locations.

"just about every weather model is in agreement that portions of Texas are going to get drenched over the next 96 hours." - drenched, yes.  Deluge?  No.  There is disagreement from model to model and the one that is being discussed is the Euro.  Not all are as bullish as that one.  Only time will tell.