2019 Rain Thread

Biff Tannen

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Forgive me, it was 2:30 in the morning, dumping rain, my dog had to shit so bad that she still went out in the rain and lightning, I was tired as shit and somehow I got from squall to squaw on my iPhone.  Fuck.  

I think you typed "squaw" on purpose and justly deserve props for doing so. 

10 hours ago, The University said:

EHX0DX1WwAAUpv8?format=jpg&name=large

DIdn't see this before posting earlier.

Question:  This time, and that last wind storm we had when we lost power, I had cellular phone (mostly), text/SMS (mostly), but no data/wireless internet.  I understand that voice, SMS, and data are separate networks and can be independently up or down.  But I assume what happens is power is killed to the local tower(s), backup power is engaged, but voice is given priority (power) over data until power is restored.  Is that right?  Or is it something else?

Also, looks like it went right over/by TI/Raytheon.  There's a fair amount of hazardous shit on that campus that might could be loosed in a tornado.  

Edited by TwiceHorn

11 hours ago, Hate said:

Tornadoes hate white people.

And North Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It shouldn't have done much in Highland Park proper (south of Mockingbird) or UP (south of NW Hwy).

Yeah, friends in HP said it was probably high winds that took out the trees and roofing.

The Home Depot at 75 and Forest is toast. Roof caved in. 

Preston Royal Shopping Center is pretty destroyed. Interabang Books looks like the tornado dropped right down on it. 

Thomas Jefferson HIgh School got hit pretty bad. Not sure how they'll be able to have classes there. 

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

The Home Depot at 75 and Forest is toast. Roof caved in. 

Preston Royal Shopping Center is pretty destroyed. Interabang Books looks like the tornado dropped right down on it. 

Thomas Jefferson HIgh School got hit pretty bad. Not sure how they'll be able to have classes there. 

Looked like Walnut Hill Elementary took even more damage than TJ based on aerial shots. I don't see how they'll be able to hold classes there until the spring at the earliest.

4 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Just heard that the Central Market at Preston and Royal had the roof ripped off and flooded. No word on Royal China.

Heard CM was pretty jacked up last night. Robert Wilonsky has some pics of that center on the Royal China quadrant. There was some devastation in that center.

I grew up in Preston Hollow. This is the second tornado to take basically this exact same path. In May 1976 a tornado literally walked the same route. It started over near Walnut Hill and Harry Hines and then lifted around Central and Northaven. Back in '76 it smashed Northhaven Gardens, Preston Royal Shopping Center and a number of the neighborhood streets in that area to pieces. The '76 tornado also wrecked some of the St Marks tennis courts and soccer goals back then. The same area now has a gym on it which was wrecked as well.

My brother lives in Richardson, he was at the Cowboys game last night and I raced up to his house from Lakewood to check on his house. Made it as far up Abrams Road as Walnut on the north side of Richland College before getting into the debris field. Roads were blocked with powerlines down. Tornado likely went across the barren fields of Richland College before entering the neighborhood there. I zig zagged around that neighborhood trying to get to my brother's home. Could not get there that way. Lots of folks temporarily trapped in houses with people crying inside that I could see. Lots of gas leaks. Eventually made it around to Spring Valley where the damage was lighter. Brother's house lost a bunch of shingles and I was able to repair it with blue tarps and staples till it can be repaired.

Not sure if that mosque and another church came out well.

Some amazing damage out there. Mostly larger trees. Many structures look fine and if a property was not treed there is a good chance it came out unscathed. Seems the flying debris was not the main player here and more likely trees throwing limbs onto things.

Driving back a different way last night it looked like Texas Instruments took a big hit at the Forest Lane campus. That place got clobbered.

Kings X might have been hit hard, for the poster who asked. A real mess there and I don't plan on gawking at damage for a week or two.

• Like 2

Man this was a hell of a lot bigger than I thought last night

The devastation is way worse than most people thought when we went to bed last night.  That Northhaven picture, the Home Depot on Forrest at 75, Royal Preston shopping center area....wow...and none of those places are that close to each other.   We were at the Cowboys game.  It was more than a bit unsettling to know that it was happening but now sure where and not being able to access good internet.

Ok so I live in DFW and the surprise factor for these storms was pretty big. The local guys as late as yesterday morning said the primary threat was wind/heavy rain as the cold front came through but it would be short lived. And I think it was the channel 5 guy who said low tornado chances. Basically I’m not sure the first mega round that did the damage was even forecasted? Two tornadoes at least right?

ad9b602c356232977f7b8e57b750c8a3.jpg

19 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

Yep I’m in the same area. Wife was freaking out, she thinks we should move, like tornados give a shit where you live.

First time in a while a Tornado has been that close to that part of the town.  The hail storms on the other hand...  

16 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Dayum....F-3, no?

Three tornadoes now confirmed from last night. The one that blew through Preston Hollow was EF-3 with winds up to 140 mph

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Major-Damage-Reported-in-Dallas-After-Reported-Tornado-Touchdown-563522151.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_DFWBrand&fbclid=IwAR1ILE6ougJ4sq-39YQXU9CaU95JRISUuXJnYwvCN1nwG_YyLDKqkjIMLYI

16 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Dayum....F-3, no?

Gotta be.  Check this one out.  Giant AC unit on top of the school about 30 seconds in completely moved from it's moorings.  Damn.  

https://www.wfaa.com/article/weather/severe-weather/dfw-weather-october-20-storms-damage/287-89fdee6e-f374-49e4-9a42-0226181c43a7

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I'll say this,  thank God it was on a Sunday night at a relatively early hour when tons of people were still up watching tv.  The fact that there's no reported fatalities or even serious injuries in this populated an area is a damn miracle.  

Most of the houses that were hit were of pretty high-quality construction, too.  No mobile homes or fox and jacobs shit.  Most are full brick veneer.

13 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I'll say this,  thank God it was on a Sunday night at a relatively early hour when tons of people were still up watching tv.  The fact that there's no reported fatalities or even serious injuries in this populated an area is a damn miracle.  

Agreed. The fact it was 9PM on Sun and the Cowboys were playing meant most people were home already and watching TV and not yet asleep.