2019 Rain Thread

Biff Tannen

49 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Thanks to whoever recommended the Dark Sky app.  I was tired of Weather Underground.  Seemed like they never improved it and it only got less responsive.

Dark Sky is scratching me where I itch.

I'm using Storm Shield and happy to finally find something that works. 

15 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Did you want him to fly to Lubbock and then back in? 

Last time we had a huge complex of thunderstorms, the pilot headed over to San Antonio and then up to Dallas along I-35 to avoid them.  This one said before takeoff last night he would be heading around the storms (and I was looking at the radar, so I figured he would do the same).

Nope.  He flew right through the squall line and right through the heaviest crap on the radar on a direct beeline to Love from Hobby.  I felt like I was riding the Texas Giant.  Or in Denzel Washington's plane when he was all coked up.

Edited by Uncle Nate
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Last time we had a huge complex of thunderstorms, the pilot headed over to San Antonio and then up to Dallas along I-35 to avoid them.  This one said before takeoff last night he would be heading around the storms (and I was looking at the radar, so I figured he would do the same).

Nope.  He flew right through the squall line and right through the heaviest crap on the radar on a direct beeline to Love from Hobby.  I felt like I was riding the Texas Giant.  Or in Denzel Washington's plane when he was all coked up.

maybe he had to take a shit and couldn't hold it for the extra 45 mins.

26 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

maybe he had to take a shit and couldn't hold it for the extra 45 mins.

Funny you should say that...that was actually me.

I was dying.  It was such a rough ride no one was allowed out of their seats.  And I'm toward the back of the plane so it took forever to deplane.  I am racing through Love to get to a toilet.  First men's room...huge line.  Next one, no line, but all the stalls were taken.  So I head for that one past security and right next to Sky Canyon.  Handicap stall was only one open and it was clean enough for me to deal with.  I barely made it (I mean, it was coming out before I was fully seated it was that close).

It was bad.  I think three guys died from asphixiation (it's hard to courtesy flush those damn auto toilets).  I finally think I'm done, get myself put back together, go wash hands and soon as I'm done, bam, it hits again.  Thankfully the stall was still open.  I raced back to it and barely made it again.  I text my wife and inform her it may be awhile before I leave Love field.  She thought it was because of the parking lot flooding.  LOL.

Another note from that trip...it was so rough everybody was dead quiet.  We land, and as we are taxiing to the terminal, the flight attendant informs us it was some kid or teenager's first ever flight, and asked the kid to ring his call button so everybody can applaud.  I'm laughing thinking that may be his last flight after that experience.

• Like 1

Came here to post that this week's storms got us from #15 to #10 all-time wettest Aprils.  And we have a storm system with a good chance (even if not accurate this far out) to knock us into the Top 3 or even #1... just depends on when it gets here (and of course how much rain we'll get... but it's going to definitely get here April 30 and exit May 1.  Timing...

... anyway I came here to post this but am unsure if I didn't hit on the 2019 Weather Shart Thread?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

Funny you should say that...that was actually me.

I was dying.  It was such a rough ride no one was allowed out of their seats.  And I'm toward the back of the plane so it took forever to deplane.  I am racing through Love to get to a toilet.  First men's room...huge line.  Next one, no line, but all the stalls were taken.  So I head for that one past security and right next to Sky Canyon.  Handicap stall was only one open and it was clean enough for me to deal with.  I barely made it (I mean, it was coming out before I was fully seated it was that close).

It was bad.  I think three guys died from asphixiation (it's hard to courtesy flush those damn auto toilets).  I finally think I'm done, get myself put back together, go wash hands and soon as I'm done, bam, it hits again.  Thankfully the stall was still open.  I raced back to it and barely made it again.  I text my wife and inform her it may be awhile before I leave Love field.  She thought it was because of the parking lot flooding.  LOL.

Another note from that trip...it was so rough everybody was dead quiet.  We land, and as we are taxiing to the terminal, the flight attendant informs us it was some kid or teenager's first ever flight, and asked the kid to ring his call button so everybody can applaud.  I'm laughing thinking that may be his last flight after that experience.

The Love Field men’s room toilet situation is absurd.  The main terminal past security has 22 toilets in the entire facility.  Twenty two.  I’ve counted.  

At any any given time there’s, what, 2500 male passengers at Love?  That means if just 1% of us are needing to rock a deuce, there’s going to be a line.  

It’s ridiculous.  

Edited by Chet Steadman

1 minute ago, MissingInAction said:

2019 airplane shat talk not going away.

Technically, it's airplane AND airport shit talk.

And I concur as to the paucity of deuce deposit stations at Love Field.  They killed my favorite bar, and they made it challenging to drop that urgent deuce.  I do not approve.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

The Love Field men’s room toilet situation is absurd.  The main terminal past security has 22 toilets in the entire facility.  Twenty two.  I’ve counted.  

At any any given time there’s, what, 2500 male passengers at Love?  That means if just 1% of us are needing to rock a deuce, there’s going to be a line.  

It’s ridiculous.  

I love how you counted this.  That for some reason cracked me up.  It's like you and maybe one other person (airport management?) are the only ones in the world who knew this until now.

As for the cursing of the rain pattern, we're moving into supposedly the wettest month all year (uh, May, if you're unsure to where we're moving).  Can't promise shit except that it's gonna be a lot warmer at the end of it than the beginning.  Nothing else about this ([/avoid further curse])

17 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Came here to post that this week's storms got us from #15 to #10 all-time wettest Aprils.  And we have a storm system with a good chance (even if not accurate this far out) to knock us into the Top 3 or even #1... just depends on when it gets here (and of course how much rain we'll get... but it's going to definitely get here April 30 and exit May 1.  Timing...

... anyway I came here to post this but am unsure if I didn't hit on the 2019 Weather Shart Thread?

I used to fuck this girl in college, I'm pretty sure she was the all time wettest April when she drank tequila 

• Haha 1

Preview
Looks like a repeat of last week... a pretty stout rainmaker with little spots of severe weather coming in.  Forecasts again are anywhere from 1" to 6"+ in some locales (yeah yer mom etc.).  Again, rule of thumb is most of us will get on either side of 2" or so, but some models are calling for a lot more.  Potential localized flooding.  I'll keep you abreast (or a leg or a nice ass) of the situation.

Fun trivial fact shit... the core of this thing is coming in probably May 1.  Although the day before will be cloudy/damp, probably scattered light rain... the heavy stuff won't come down for awhile (like about midday again Wed.).  If it were earlier, this would be almost certainly our wettest April (we talked about her above) ever.  As it is, May's going to probably be wetter than April and we won't get the record (right no #10 all-time).  But May and June are our wettest two of the year.  May is usually really wet and soft.  June gets as wet but then gets pretty dry and crusty around the back end.

Anyway, rooting for the wettest April ever, but it looks like May is going to take over and start wet, as usual for May.

More down the road.

Yes, it's not going to be drenching every day (biggest event is still Wed. afternoon) but cloudy, soupy, and lots of light/moderate rain around the area... here it comes... through the weekend.

Models calling for 4-5 inches northern stretches of ATX area, 2-3 elsewhere, but over 5-6 days.

Get ready for a rainy week.**

** And I don't wanna hear about NO FUCKING ONE complaining about the rain.  This time of year, when the ground could be bone dry, bereft of rain for months, and crash-landing into a huge summer drought, I will take this each and every day.  Even if now and then it falls Saturday afternoon, right in the middle of the golf day, or outdoor ping pong tournament, or whatever.  Deal with it and tanks to god that we're getting a lot of rain, which will keep early summer temps down.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Yes, it's not going to be drenching every day (biggest event is still Wed. afternoon) but cloudy, soupy, and lots of light/moderate rain around the area... here it comes... through the weekend.

Models calling for 4-5 inches northern stretches of ATX area, 2-3 elsewhere, but over 5-6 days.

** And I don't wanna hear about NO FUCKING ONE complaining about the rain.  This time of year, when the ground could be bone dry, bereft of rain for months, and crash-landing into a huge summer drought, I will take this each and every day.  Even if now and then it falls Saturday afternoon, right in the middle of the golf day, or outdoor ping pong tournament, or whatever.  Deal with it and tanks to god that we're getting a lot of rain, which will keep early summer temps down.

I take my outdoor ping pong tournaments quite seriously.  

Relax Frankie.

Double post.

9 hours ago, phdhorn said:

No complaining from me. The longer it stays green and wet, the fewer blast furnace days in the summer. Everything being green as we hit summer takes a lot of the edge off.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Orange&White said:

The lake's been full for a few months. It barely dipped below 681 for a week or two, but other than that I think it's been above 681 since October.

There was even a flood gate open on Mansfield Dam earlier this month when we got a big storm system upstream. 

• Like 1