2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

2018 was a fucking amazing season after wandering the desert for nearly a decade.  Texas is back.  Yes we are.  I haven't been this excited for what's to come since probably the 2008 off season.  That said, fuck the off season.  But now seems as good of a time as any to look forward into our 2019 football schedule and talk a little bit about what we should expect to see.  So here it is:

Aug. 31 -  Louisiana Tech 

This is our home opener, and believe me our team will still be riding the high from their win over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.  We're going to prepare well and we will win this one comfortably.  This will be the first time we've comfortably won an opener since... 2014.

Sep. 7 -    LSU 

This is the game.  LSU will be ranked top 10 to start next season.  But so will we.  This is the game that will put us squarely in the discussion for a CFP appearance, or will take us out of that discussion completely.  I really hope that our players treat this game like our 2005 players treated the Ohio State game.  The parallels are there.  Ehlinger confidently declared in front of the country on Jan. 1, 2019, that "we're back."  I'd love for him to take another page from VY's playbook this summer, before two-a-days begin, and write on the locker room white board something similar to "Anyone who wants to beat (LSU), meet me at (practice location) for drills."

Sep. 14 -  @Rice (NRG Stadium)

This will be a workman's win.  Rice does not have the horses to compete.

Sep. 21 -  Oklahoma State 

This game is actually huge.  We have not beaten OkSt since the 2014 season.  If we're going to make a splash next season, we absolutely have to win this game.  It will set the tone for conference play.  OkSt will be breaking in a new quarterback, as their veteran Cornelius will be out of eligibility.  If we complete this first stretch 4-0, we can start to be very giddy about the rest to come.

Sep. 28 -  BYE  

A much needed bye week to prepare us for a test in Morgantown before the RRS. 

Oct. 5 -     @West Virginia 

Like OkSt, WVU will be breaking in a new quarterback (and possibly a new coach if the UH rumors are true).  WVU has looked pedestrian without Grier, and we will be favored.  Our team will want to leave no doubt this year after the way WVU conducted themselves last year in Austin.  No doubt that Ehlinger has this one circled on his calendar.

Oct. 12 -  Oklahoma (Cotton Bowl)

This is the other game.  Like OkSt and WVU, OU will be breaking in a new quarterback (and also possibly a new coach if the NFL rumors are true). We will be favored, but nothing is guaranteed against OU.  This is our rival and we will need to play our very best to get it done.  Fortunately, I feel more confident playing OU under Herman than I have under any other Texas coach in the past 20 years.  

Oct. 19 -  Kansas 

This will be another workman's win.

Oct. 26 -  @TCU 

Although TCU still has a big question mark at quarterback, Patterson won't stay down for long, and he will have TCU ready to play us.  This game represents the finale of the second act of our season, and I expect our team to leave it all on the field and play well enough to win. 

Nov. 2 -    BYE

Another much needed (and rare) additional bye week for the season to prepare us for the final stretch. 

Nov. 9 -    Kansas State

KSU will be breaking in a new coach, and we get them in Austin.  We will be favored.

Nov. 16 -  @Iowa State

This is going to be the toughest game in the last stretch of our season.  ISU can beat anyone in Ames.  Fortunately, we match up very well against prostyle teams like ISU, and Herman has a wonderful track record so far against this squad.  

Nov. 23 -  @Baylor 

At this point in the season, we will just need to not fuck up.  We'll be big favorites in our final two games.  Stay focused and play well.

Nov. 29 -  Texas Tech 

Ditto.

What's most interesting about next season is the way it's broken down... we have two bye weeks, which essentially trifurcate our season into 3 four-game mini-seasons.  That's how the team and coaching staff will approach them, anyway.  And I think it will work to our advantage.  We should also be favored in every game we play.  That hasn't happened since 2009.  The Big XII overall will be down.  Our defense will probably take a step back next season with the loss of so many seniors, but our offense should be better with a continually improving offensive line, and it will be scary good if LJH and CJ both return.  I think Ehlinger will play a big part in convincing those two to stay.

The bottom line is that we proved ourselves as a very good team this year, and we are returning most of those pieces next season.  While we are good and only improving, our competition will be slightly worse and rebuilding.  This is a prime opportunity to make a serious run at the conference title, and even a CFP berth.  We have a realistic shot at making the CFP next year for these reasons.  Will we be as good as Clemson and Bama?  No way.  But we have a favorable schedule and enough talent and grit to run the table and slide into one of the CFP slots, hinging on how we perform in the LSU game.

Frankly, anything less than a conference title next season will be a disappointment.  And I am looking for us to make noise in the CFP discussion as well.  Happy New Year, everybody.

• Like 4

We won't be favored over blowU. They will blow out teams and get a ton of hype.

We keep the hat though.

Iowa and Okie State at home may be the other tough ones. Okie lite on the first Texas big 12 game, officials will want to "set the tone".

Obviously LSU is going to be nuts. I don't think they will have any QB play but their defense is going to be gud.

7 minutes ago, Zavala said:

We won't be favored over blowU. They will blow out teams and get a ton of hype.

We keep the hat though.

Iowa and Okie State at home may be the other tough ones. Okie lite on the first Texas big 12 game, officials will want to "set the tone".

Obviously LSU is going to be nuts. I don't think they will have any QB play but their defense is going to be gud.

Does OU have a lot coming back next year? Why wouldn’t we be favored?  This UT team is going to to get tons of love this off season and if we beat LSU it’s going to skyrocket. 

2 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

Does OU have a lot coming back next year? Why wouldn’t we be favored?  This UT team is going to to get tons of love this off season and if we beat LSU it’s going to skyrocket. 

True. You could be right. Maybe I'm just hoping we would be considered the underdog because we kick fuckin ass in that role. They are probably going to spank Houston and UCLA though.

6 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

2019 Texas Roster Questions

1) Texas D-line (Gone:  Nelson, Omenihue, Hager)

2) Texas LBs ( Gone: G.Johnson, Wheeler)

3) Texas CBs (Gone:  Boyd, Davis)

4) O-line  ( Gone:  Rodriquez, Anderson, Vahe)

5) Texas RBs (Gone:  Tre Watson)

6) Texas WRs (Probably Gone: LJH)

• Like 2

LSUand BlowU eill be good and favored  every year we convince ourselves that BlowU will suck,  they wont. they some how seem to fucking reload every year.   we lose a lot but we have some stupid ridiculous talent behind them  year 3 in the system should be fun  Beat LSU and team gets some swagger

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

LSUand BlowU eill be good and favored  every year we convince ourselves that BlowU will suck,  they wont. they some how seem to fucking reload every year.   we lose a lot but we have some stupid ridiculous talent behind them  year 3 in the system should be fun  Beat LSU and team gets some swagger

This team already has swagger. They had it all year. That doesn’t win or lose games.  Controlling the LOS does 

2 hours ago, Xcalibur said:

Oct. 5 -     @West Virginia 

Like OkSt, WVU will be breaking in a new quarterback (and possibly a new coach if the UH rumors are true).  WVU has looked pedestrian without Grier, and we will be favored.  Our team will want to leave no doubt this year after the way WVU conducted themselves last year in Austin.  No doubt that Ehlinger has this one circled on his calendar.

Yeah, I don't think those are rumors anymore.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joeycovers said:

They are losing or have lost

QB - Murray - have to think losing another Heisman winner will eventually hurt

RB - Anderson, Meier

WR - Tease, Brown - biggest offensive loss, their offense wasn't the same after he got hurt against Texas.

OL - Ford, Powers, Samia - I also think Evans declares which means they would only return Humphrey on the OL

Defense, right now they only lose Bolton to graduation, but their defense is shit and a new DC will have a marginal effect. It starts with Riley, and he doesn't prioritize it. Not many Leach disciples do even though Leach's WSU teams have usually been very good defensively lately.

ST - Seibert very solid K and P.

Edited by HtownHorn

And keep in mind, it's been 10 years since we beat OU two consecutive times.  that last third of the season with road games at TCU, Iowa State, and Baylor has stumble written all over it.  LSU is a toss-up.  All that said, with tie-breakers, I think we'd be hard pressed not to grab the #2 bid to the Big XII Championship again.  

Indeed.  What this new streak presupposes is...what if we didn't?  

A truly legit topic for another thread is who really is the #3 contender in this league next year?  Obviously people can still lose transfer depth and guys to the draft that shouldn't be going.  I don't see WVU or OSU or TCU bouncing back/improving.  You'd be hard pressed to convince me the next best team in the Big XII isn't Iowa State.  And we have to play them in Ames.  West Virginia is gonna be tough, despite their attrition/coaching changes, just because it's the week before the RRS.  But on paper, I think the Cyclones are the next best team in our conference after Oklahoma and UT.  Long time to wait.....should be a fun off-season for once. 

Just as Vince Young won the Rose Bowl in 2004, and then won the MNC the following year, also in the Rose Bowl....

...Sam Ehlinger just won the Sugar Bowl at the Mercedes Superdome in New Orleans, LA.....in early 2020 he will complete the prophesy and win the playoff championship, which will be held at....the Mercedes Superdome in New Orleans, LA.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Xian said:

We beat LSU and ou but lose to someone like isu or Baylor 

we we end up winning the big 12 and depending on the rest of the world might make the playoff. Either way. Another good year 

Yeah my way too early prediction instincts have us going 10-2, winning the CCG, and barely missing the playoffs. Maybe end ranked #5 or #6. 

I think LSU is near Notre Dame/Michigan/USC territory for being the most consistently overrated program of modern times. I don't think they're that good at all and I see that game being an easy W for Texas. Same story for OU. We'll get two "Herman head-scratchers" and lose a couple games we had no business losing, that can happen with a young defense. 

OUs defense is gonna be horrendous for at least three more seasons. They lose some Olineman and unlike last season I’m not sure they have plug in depth at that position. Riley literally inherited a team with two Heisman trophy winners on it and is actually gonna have to develop a QB. OU is gonna be good but I think they’re a 2-3 loss team

Texas D will make Joe Burrow look like Holgorsen after a five day bender.  Either that or we will just slap him naked and hide his clothes.   Then we will win all the remaining games on our schedule and put the SECSECSEC superiority bullshit to bed for 2020.  

Edited by lemonandaturd

Very soon we will "out athlete"  the Baylor's, OSU's and TCU's of the world and there will only be a couple of conference games that are competitive.   Fatterson and Rhule can coach, but when Texas is recruiting like it's 2000, they will not be huge threats.  We are on the verge of some great days as Longhorn fans.   Once recruiting gets right, Herman is going to be like Karl with a sling blade and Little Lincoln will be Doyle Hargreaves.  

• Like 2

La Tech has not recruited a single blue-chipper out of HS that is on the team. They just won their bowl game (granted, over Hawaii). Rice was horribad this year. Their only wins were Old Dominion and FW Country Day HS, or something. LSU looked decent in their bowl game, and a glance at their scholarship table for this year shows almost no Jrs or Srs. They have been recruiting well, and they may be pretty salty for both our upcoming meetings. We pretty much face our own tendency to start the season flat against LaTech, but I don’t think it will be enough to inflict a loss. LSU will be tough. Our other big challenges will be OU and ISU.

Edited by Magus Ossis

The LSU game is going to be so much fun.   They will bring their fans and taligaters too which is going to even make the pre and post game enviroment even more electric.  And it will be hotter than hell since it's the first week of September.  I am going to have to pay USC prices for tickets, but the heck if I am going to miss this one.   And I plan on going to Baton Rouge to see the 2020 game as I've always wanted to see a game at Death Valley.  

This game should be on the College Game Day stops.   When was the last time they were in Austin?

Edited by Nueces River Rat

21 hours ago, Xcalibur said:

Sep. 7 -    LSU 

Most likely a top 10 match up and marquee game that weekend.  Another top 10ish match up that weekend is aggy @ Clemson.  I bet we get the nod for Gameday and the primetime TV slot (Gameday was at the Clemson @ aggy game this year)

14 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

Very soon we will "out athlete"  the Baylor's, OSU's and TCU's of the world and there will only be a couple of conference games that are competitive.   Fatterson and Rhule can coach, but when Texas is recruiting like it's 2000, they will not be huge threats.  We are on the verge of some great days as Longhorn fans.   Once recruiting gets right, Herman is going to be like Karl with a sling blade and Little Lincoln will be Doyle Hargreaves.  

To some extent but we won't have a monopoly on speed.  You can find it even if you are relegated to leftovers and those are coaches are good enough to exploit it.

My two cents at this very preliminary stage of the game

Without knowledge of additions and departures for our team and others and the requisite injury and "knuckleheadedness" luck, the expectation should be that we are one of the 2 participants in the Big 12 championship game for 2019. We will have the best returning QB in the league (sorry OU fan-If Kyler plays football next year, it will be somewhere far away from Norman and he will get paid significantly for it) and have more than enough other pieces to make a strong run. Assuming our prospective NFL departures are minimal, here's how the schedule should break out:

50% Winning Probability

OU - This is always as 50/50 game in my eyes unless the teams are super far apart in ability. OU will lose Kyler, Hollywood Brown, a good chunk of the line, etc. Still, they'll have talent and the QB battle will be interesting - Is Spencer Rattler as good as advertised? 

LSU - They'll be stocked with talent as always and this will be a real street fight. Both defenses have the ability to shut the other offense down. We seem to like street fights so I don't think we will fear LSU-the game will come down to executing at key times. 

Good Chance, ie. 60% Winning Probability

ISU - Matt Campbell has proven to be a really good hire at ISU and as long as they can keep him, will have ISU competitive, especially in Ames. How will Brock Purdy's sophomore campaign go, especially without David Montgomery and perhaps Hakeem Butler. Defensively, they can cause struggles for a lot of the spread teams, but Texas plays with a physicality that ISU has struggled with the last 2 years, particularly on offense. Should be an interesting late season game. 

Should Win, but........67% Winning Probability

OSU - This is our 2019 version of the 2018 TCU game - opponent we've struggled to beat, but have at home early in the season against a team breaking in a new QB. Will it be Spencer Sanders' time? Having Chuba Hubbard and Tylan Wallace will help whoever starts, but it might have been better for Sanders to have led the team to the 7-6 mark a la Mason Rudolph as a freshman. I expect growing pains again in Stillwater and good opportunity to actually beat OSU in Austin for the first time this decade (feels real dirty to say that). 

TCU - Only because it is on the road and TCU can still play defense. Their offense was a mess and Justin Rogers was never healed enough to get any playing time this season. Normally TCU has a bad season breaking in a QB but it comes together in year 2 (as with Trevone Boykin and Kenny Hill). However, Shawn Robinson never got it together, got hurt, and is now transferring. So TCU will hope that Justin Rogers is the real deal and the learning curve is quick, because I don't think they will have a lot of success with other options in 2019.

Probable Wins.....75% Winning Probability

WVa, Tech, Baylor -  WVa and Tech will be breaking in new coaches and I have no idea what they will be. WVa loses several NFL players on offense and wasn't great defensively. Although in Morgantown and right before OU, feels like it should be a win. Tech is in Austin and don't feel like they will be much of a threat. Saw someone say they thought Charlie Brewer turned a corner against Vandy in the Texas Bowl. Not sure I would put that much stock into a singular performance (Trevor Knight anyone?) but even if he has, Baylor's defense is still putrid, they lose Mims (and Hurd I think) and its 50/50 Rhule is even the coach if he is also drawing interest from the NFL again this year. 

Put it in the ledger.......90+% Winning Probability

LaTech, Rice, Kansas schools - No need to talk about LaTech & Rice. I think the Kansas schools will be the worst in the Big 12 next year. Les Miles will attempt to Make Kansas Interesting Again (MKIA) but that will take a least a year or 2....KU isn't winning in Austin next year. Not sure why Chris Klieman felt compelled to take the KSU job with the spectre of Bill Snyder still hanging over the program. If he doesn't have quick success, that gig could be a career killer. With the KSU game in Austin, limited talent, and no more purple wizard I don't see KSU being the threat in 2019 it once was.

So that suggests a range of 9-12 wins. Don't see any game we can't win and seems like the floor is 9 and the ceiling is the roof! I'll say 10-2 for now and we will check back after the spring and fall to see if we feel any better or worse. 

23 hours ago, Xcalibur said:

I'd love for him to take another page from VY's playbook this summer, before two-a-days begin, and write on the locker room white board something similar to "Anyone who wants to beat (LSU), meet me at (practice location) for drills."

bro, it's all cloud these days.  he's going to sketch it on microsoft onenote and sync it directly to every locker's ipad display.

• Like 1

Schematically, ISU is a favorable matchup for Texas - has been the last two years and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't continue in 2019. Ousux is NOT prepared for what this team will do to them next season. LSU has some athletes and we'll be breaking in several new guys on defense, should be a good game.