2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

55 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Athlon Sports lists Sam Cosmi as a projected breakout player for next season.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-30-early-projected-breakout-players-2019

Of course, Leon O'Neal is also on the list, so take it for what it's worth.

Leon will need to borrow Wile E. Coyote’s rocket skates to break out. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQCrtVWVkT6Tw4PW-HS9Wm

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 8:05 PM, A’Dam Psycho said:

OUs defense is gonna be horrendous for at least three more seasons. They lose some Olineman and unlike last season I’m not sure they have plug in depth at that position. Riley literally inherited a team with two Heisman trophy winners on it and is actually gonna have to develop a QB. OU is gonna be good but I think they’re a 2-3 loss team

Horrible take. I despise OU but to say Riley didn’t develop Mayfield and Murray is just plain dumb.

IT

There obviously isn't too much going on with the team just getting back to campus this weekend. There will be a team meeting tomorrow to welcome everybody to the start of the 2019 school year. I imagine workouts will begin this week as well and I should have some details on that on Friday. 

Though there's a lull this time of year I did ask a couple sources some personnel questions. These are subjective of course but my guys have had a credible pulse for what players can and can't do in the past. 

We'll start with the o-line.

Cosmi will be the left tackle. My guy thinks Okafor is destined for guard and that he'll be good there. "He struggles with pass sets but gets great push in the run game." 

Shack had a fine year, is entrenched at center, and "he became a leader over the second half of the season." Sources weren't always sure about him but that's changed. 

I asked about JP Urquidez. "Good in the run game, actually, kind of like Okafor. He's strong, but he has bad feet. Built like a tackle but plays more like a guard." 

What about Reese Moore? "Pretty good, should be on the two-deep next year. Tackle but could get by at guard." I mentioned that was similar to Derek Kerstetter and he agreed.

Christian Jones? "He could be the third tackle. He learns so fast; highly coachable. He learned a ton from having Calvin around. He mimicked Calvin and would pick things up quickly."

What about Pat Hudson? "I'm not sure he wants to play. If he medically retired it wouldn't surprise me. It's right there for him if he wants it."

Who is the other guard? "Probably Angilau. He's going to be pretty good." I asked about Tope Imade. "He's plenty powerful but doesn't move nearly as well as Junior. Junior has much better feet." 

Most likely as of now is: Cosmi-Angilau-Shack-Okafor-Kerstetter. I asked how would that compare to this year's line. "Calvin was pretty good, that's a loss, but this line wouldn't take much of a step back. I think it would end up being better. It should be better running the ball."

Herb Hand went to see Virginia graduate transfer RJ Proctor late last week. We haven't heard what the next step is there but if Hand is going to visit him that means phone conversations went well and it was worth the trip. 

With Shane Buechele and Cameron Rising leaving, what does Texas have in Casey Thompson? "He still has a long way to go to be game ready. He has to get more accurate. He still relies on his legs too much. But he's going to get a lot more attention in the coming months. This is a great opportunity for him."

What about the young receivers? "Josh Moore is going to be good. He just gets open. Once he knows what he's doing he'll be dangerous. Epps is the same as we've talked about; a jump ball guy. He just posts DB's up. Eagles needs to learn his assignments better and stay healthy. Woodard's been pretty quiet since he got here but has ability. Would like to see something from him this spring."

Defensive line. You can't replace Charles Omenihu. "You can't even try to replace Charles, like you can't even try to replace Lil'Jordan, but you can replace the production by committee. Having Roach at end all year will help. Ossai and or McCulloch can bring pressure. I think the linebackers will offer more rushing the passser."

What about defensive tackle? "It'll be good if Coburn continues to comes on, average if he doesn't. Coburn definitely has the most ability."

Does Ta'Quon Graham have another level to his play? "He still has one more jump in his play that will be determined by consistency. One play he misses an assignment, the next he stacks a double team and you're like what the ****?"

What about linebackers? "If they had to play tomorrow, they'd probably be in lightning with Ossai and McCulloch at Mac and Rover, but a bunch of new guys got to campus and who knows how that will shake out. Delly will get his shot too.

Can Ossai really play off the ball? "He's nowhere as fast as Gary but he does a better job of getting off blocks. It's not perfect but he can do it if need be. With what they have to work with they'll find a pair who can get off blocks and get to the quarterback."

So you think o-line and linebacker play will be better next year? "Yes."

Can Josh Thompson be a good nickel? "Absolutely. He can be as good at nickel as he is as a gunner. He needs more reps. He'll be really good in coverage. His head is swimming at times but with reps that will slow down."

What about corner? "If Kris Boyd had one more year Anthony Cook would beat him out." Say what? "I'm telling you, he's physical and he covers. I bet he's a first rounder." How big is he? "Not sure what he weighs, but he's solid and has the right mentality." 

Jalen Green improving? "He improved throughout the season. He's not nearly as consistent as Cook but he'll be good next year. Don't count out Kobe Boyce, though, he can cover."

• Like 1

IT

There obviously isn't too much going on with the team just getting back to campus this weekend. There will be a team meeting tomorrow to welcome everybody to the start of the 2019 school year. I imagine workouts will begin this week as well and I should have some details on that on Friday. 
Though there's a lull this time of year I did ask a couple sources some personnel questions. These are subjective of course but my guys have had a credible pulse for what players can and can't do in the past. 
Cosmi will be the left tackle. My guy thinks Okafor is destined for guard and that he'll be good there. "He struggles with pass sets but gets great push in the run game." 
Shack had a fine year, is entrenched at center, and "he became a leader over the second half of the season." Sources weren't always sure about him but that's changed. 
I asked about JP Urquidez. "Good in the run game, actually, kind of like Okafor. He's strong, but he has bad feet. Built like a tackle but plays more like a guard." 
What about Reese Moore? "Pretty good, should be on the two-deep next year. Tackle but could get by at guard." I mentioned that was similar to Derek Kerstetter and he agreed.
Christian Jones? "He could be the third tackle. He learns so fast; highly coachable. He learned a ton from having Calvin around. He mimicked Calvin and would pick things up quickly."
What about Pat Hudson? "I'm not sure he wants to play. If he medically retired it wouldn't surprise me. It's right there for him if he wants it."
Who is the other guard? "Probably Angilau. He's going to be pretty good." I asked about Tope Imade. "He's plenty powerful but doesn't move nearly as well as Junior. Junior has much better feet." 
Most likely as of now is: Cosmi-Angilau-Shack-Okafor-Kerstetter. I asked how would that compare to this year's line. "Calvin was pretty good, that's a loss, but this line wouldn't take much of a step back. I think it would end up being better. It should be better running the ball."
Herb Hand went to see Virginia graduate transfer RJ Proctor late last week. We haven't heard what the next step is there but if Hand is going to visit him that means phone conversations went well and it was worth the trip. 
With Shane Buechele and Cameron Rising leaving, what does Texas have in Casey Thompson? "He still has a long way to go to be game ready. He has to get more accurate. He still relies on his legs too much. But he's going to get a lot more attention in the coming months. This is a great opportunity for him."
What about the young receivers? "Josh Moore is going to be good. He just gets open. Once he knows what he's doing he'll be dangerous. Epps is the same as we've talked about; a jump ball guy. He just posts DB's up. Eagles needs to learn his assignments better and stay healthy. Woodard's been pretty quiet since he got here but has ability. Would like to see something from him this spring."
Defensive line. You can't replace Charles Omenihu. "You can't even try to replace Charles, like you can't even try to replace Lil'Jordan, but you can replace the production by committee. Having Roach at end all year will help. Ossai and or McCulloch can bring pressure. I think the linebackers will offer more rushing the passser."
What about defensive tackle? "It'll be good if Coburn continues to comes on, average if he doesn't. Coburn definitely has the most ability."
Does Ta'Quon Graham have another level to his play? "He still has one more jump in his play that will be determined by consistency. One play he misses an assignment, the next he stacks a double team and you're like what the ****?"
What about linebackers? "If they had to play tomorrow, they'd probably be in lightning with Ossai and McCulloch at Mac and Rover, but a bunch of new guys got to campus and who knows how that will shake out. Delly will get his shot too.
Can Ossai really play off the ball? "He's nowhere as fast as Gary but he does a better job of getting off blocks. It's not perfect but he can do it if need be. With what they have to work with they'll find a pair who can get off blocks and get to the quarterback."
Can Josh Thompson be a good nickel? "Absolutely. He can be as good at nickel as he is as a gunner. He needs more reps. He'll be really good in coverage. His head is swimming at times but with reps that will slow down."
What about corner? "If Kris Boyd had one more year Anthony Cook would beat him out." Say what? "I'm telling you, he's physical and he covers. I bet he's a first rounder." How big is he? "Not sure what he weighs, but he's solid and has the right mentality." 
Jalen Green improving? "He improved throughout the season. He's not nearly as consistent as Cook but he'll be good next year. Don't count out Kobe Boyce, though, he can cover."

Oh, yeeeeeeeeaaahhhhh!

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

IT

Reveal hidden contents

SHOW. ME. A. LOSS.

On 1/21/2019 at 4:43 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

There is quite a bit of hilarity in that write up, but this one takes the cake. Their idea is that we replace a 3 year starter and an NFL-caliber 2 year starter with two guys who would be playing out of position, and the conclusion is that "Yes", linebacker play will improve. It's clear to any dolt that watches 5 minutes of tape that Ossai needs to be an edge pass rusher, and sticking him at Rover would be a mistake akin to asking Roach to play Mac this year. 

Mac and Rover are clearly the biggest question marks next year. In addition to McCulloch and Ossai, the candidates are a JUCO transfer with a busted shoulder, a true freshman, a redshirt freshmen who played zero snaps at linebacker this year, or a true sophomore who might be a safety or might be a rover but played zero meaningful snaps at either position last year. My best guess is that McCulloch plays Mac, Ossai plays B Backer and Caleb Johnson plays Rover, but that the three of them are rarely on the field together at the same time in order to get our best 11 on the field. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

There is quite a bit of hilarity in that write up, but this one takes the cake. Their idea is that we replace a 3 year starter and an NFL-caliber 2 year starter with two guys who would be playing out of position, and the conclusion is that "Yes", linebacker play will improve. It's clear to any dolt that watches 5 minutes of tape that Ossai needs to be an edge pass rusher, and sticking him at Rover would be a mistake akin to asking Roach to play Mac this year. 

Mac and Rover are clearly the biggest question marks next year. In addition to McCulloch and Ossai, the candidates are a JUCO transfer with a busted shoulder, a true freshman, a redshirt freshmen who played zero snaps at linebacker this year, or a true sophomore who might be a safety or might be a rover but played zero meaningful snaps at either position last year. My best guess is that McCulloch plays Mac, Ossai plays B Backer and Caleb Johnson plays Rover, but that the three of them are rarely on the field together at the same time in order to get our best 11 on the field. 

To provide context, the original writer of this (Eric Nahlin) doesn't actually believe that Ossai or McCulloch will be playing those positions, nor that they would be the best options for Mac and Rover, respectively. He did a poor job getting that across, though.

As you said though, LB play will still be a big question mark, although I don't think it will get worse than Wheeler was at Mac. He was probably the single largest liability on the defense.

If you guys haven't ventured to the recruiting board a couple of things.  

first- congratulations. well done.

second- 5 Star receiver Bru Mccoy has entered the transfer portal and is expected to end up in Austin. 

that would move Texas to the number 3 class in the country depending on how everything else falls