Yancy McKnight

Slacks

Put in work.

In no game did I feel like we were either worn down or pushed around.

None of our losses came from a lack of physicality or conditioning. None.

We had some guys who were smallish for their position (Captains Hager, Rodriguez, Beck, and Gary Johnson) who couldn't always dominate physically, but they were physical enough to make plays, and their effort level was usually 100.

We had some guys who were slowish for their position (Wheeler, Locke) but they hustled their asses off and made plays.

I'm looking forward to seeing some guys step up in 2019.

It's been a while, but this dude put in work.  He should be one of the highest paid S&C guys in the nation.

• Like 7

It was really noticeable even last year. We struggled and the defense stayed on the field a lot but they were still fresh and playing hard in the fourth quarter. Charlie’s boys were suckin wind and looked gassed in the 3rd and it lead to long sustained drives on our defense. Difference in Conditioning is like McKnight and day. 

See he what I did there 

22 hours ago, Snacks said:

Put in work.

In no game did I feel like we were either worn down or pushed around.

None of our losses came from a lack of physicality or conditioning. None.

We had some guys who were smallish for their position (Captains Hager, Rodriguez, Beck, and Gary Johnson) who couldn't always dominate physically, but they were physical enough to make plays, and their effort level was usually 100.

We had some guys who were slowish for their position (Wheeler, Locke) but they hustled their asses off and made plays.

I'm looking forward to seeing some guys step up in 2019.

It's been a while, but this dude put in work.  He should be one of the highest paid S&C guys in the nation.

Got your eye on a new vacation home, Mrs. McKnight?

Sam looked WAY bigger this year. Some of that is from him growing and working hard, but Yance helped too. 

The whole team did really look undersized and play more physical than bigger teams.

Somebody could probably find some better pictures of pregame without pads and stuff... but comparing end of last season vs this season was like a boy turned into a man. His neak and face changed.

not-as-jacked3.jpg
jacked3.jpg

16 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Sam looked WAY bigger this year. Some of that is from him growing and working hard, but Yance helped too. 

The whole team did really look undersized and play more physical than bigger teams.

Somebody could probably find some better pictures of pregame without pads and stuff... but comparing end of last season vs this season was like a boy turned into a man. His neak and face changed.

This has been TCU's MO for many years.  They were running 4-2-5 base when nickel was a situational defense in most of FBS.  Even with Roach or Graham at DE, our front 6 was giving away 50 lbs a man to Georgia's OL.  But Texas still won that battle.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

This has been TCU's MO for many years.  They were running 4-2-5 base when nickel was a situational defense in most of FBS.  Even with Roach or Graham at DE, our front 6 was giving away 50 lbs a man to Georgia's OL.  But Texas still won that battle.

because Georgia didn't even try you stupid sip.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Zavala said:

not-as-jacked3.jpg
jacked3.jpg

Sam’s a very poor example, he was less than a year out of high school last year vs this year where he had a full year of college strength & conditioning under his belt. Plus I imagine he’s a natural gym rat. Of course he’s going to be much bigger this year. 

All college teams have muscular players. The difference strength & conditioning makes is in stamina & physicality.

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

Sam’s a very poor example, he was less than a year out of high school last year vs this year where he had a full year of college strength & conditioning under his belt. Plus I imagine he’s a natural gym rat. Of course he’s going to be much bigger this year. 

All college teams have muscular players. The difference strength & conditioning makes is in stamina & physicality.

Yeah you are right about Sammy and muscles. 

We sure have had plenty of stamina and physicality. Keep improving on technique and recruiting great players and we will be good.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/16/2019 at 10:36 PM, Napoleon said:

Does he ride a unicycle to work every day?

#oregon

Yancy has that big heart and kindness to him that makes the big mean motherfucker routine more awesome. This guy just seems like a total doushe that none of the players are buying into in that video lol.

26 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Our friends from the TexAgs boards weigh in on the Yancy Effect:

EAaG54oXoAAKfyi?format=jpg&name=360x360EAaG6bIWsAE4flv?format=jpg&name=360x360EAaG6_mXsAIy7WY?format=png&name=360x360

Yancy is a bad ass and definitely at the top of his profession. If they want a guy to get bigger, he will. If they want a guy to get slimmer, he will. But it may come as a shock to some (looking at you, aggy), but  when EVERY SINGLE PLAYER'S weight ends in a 0 or a 5, they are made up 

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

Many of the weight numbers (as well as some of the height measurements) listed on the roster are padded.  I'd take that 320# listing for Sweat with a big grain of salt.

Meh, they probably just round up to the nearest multiple of 5

Video with quotes...

“I said from the jump in January when we came back, it’s going to be a hard eight months," McKnight said, as seen in the above video. "You have done that. You have worked your ass off every single day. To reach the goals and do things you want to do, you have to take it to another level. You have to. We all have done that, so I applaud you guys, I’ve been doing that this whole summer and winter.

“You guys put hard work in, hard work, and you came back summer time in unbelievable shape, unbelievable shape on the two week break. And then on the Fourth of July break, unbelievable shape, you took care of your business.

“That’s a mature bunch. It is. I don’t care about how old you are. That’s a mature bunch that wants to come in there and wants to do some special things in here. So I applaud you, unbelievable summer. I’m proud of you.”

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Can't believe this crap happened to Yancy....

Thx to @torre for finding this...

https://sports.yahoo.com/behind-the-scenes-with-texas-football-190915598.html

Post from @torre :  "siap,   but just saw above article from Pete Thamel, Yahoo Sports, who apparently was with the team for all of last week.    Lengthy,  but a great read that gives insight on what the team does during game week.    The following excerpt demonstrates the classless LSU fans and apparently some aggy and OU fans.    Considering Orgeron's locker room remark and this I hope we never consider playing LSU again after this contract. "

On Friday morning, Texas special teams coordinator Derek Warehime’s phone rang from a South Dakota number. He answered: “Jake’s Mule Barn, how can I help you?”

The caller sheepishly said they got the wrong number and hung up. Not long after, Warehime’s phone rang again from a Baton Rouge number. The call proceeded this way:

Is this Derek?

Absolutely not.

I’m looking for Derek with the football staff.

I don’t know any Dereks with any football staffs. How can I help you?

You guys ready for the big game?

There’s a big game?

Yeah, LSU plays Texas.

You kidding me? They playing today?

No, it’s Saturday. GameDay is going to be there.

That’s Awesome! I guess I might find me a ticket, now that I know.

LONG PAUSE

All I’ve got for you is a nice big f--- you from the LSU Tigers.

With all of their game-planning done and only a walkthrough remaining on Friday, much of the conversation around the football facility shifted to a rash of prank phone calls and vulgar texts from LSU fans that began late Thursday. A picture of a staff phone number list from two years ago got released onto Instagram, which meant a flood of calls from LSU fans to the Texas coaches. (Only Hand was spared.) Soon after, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and other fan bases caught on and followed.

Ehlinger also got flooded with calls, as by Saturday morning he’d received more than 2,000 texts from LSU fans on his old phone. He attributed it to a fraternity there, but was largely unbothered because he’d already switched primary phones.

The invasion was greeted with a mix of reactions from the staff. There was plenty of laughter and mocking of the crude LSU fans’ spelling and accents. Ehlinger joked in the offensive staff room that he could picture a caller, who’d made multiple crude references to a tiger’s anatomy, sitting on his couch with “three teeth and a bottle of whiskey.”

The calls weren’t all sophomoric humor. Strength coach Yancy McKnight got a call from a blocked number that left a voicemail in which the caller threatened to kill McKnight’s family. “You’ll find your family hung in the kitchen with their throats slit,” the voicemail to McKnight said. The caller punctuated with the message: “F--- you.”

As of Sunday, Texas officials were pondering how to handle that specific phone call.

Many of the messages vacillated between tasteless and offensive. Herman received a message calling him a racial slur and there were multiple messages containing homophobic remarks. Nearly every staff member and some support staff members received dozens and dozens of calls and texts, including Lovo and operations director Tory Teykl, who was called “mom.”

The calls and messages came so furiously on Friday that when Herman pulled out his phone after an hour walkthrough, there were 38 texts, seven missed calls and a missed FaceTime. One of the text threads Herman was included on was called Ed O’s Shrimp Boat.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2

The calls weren’t all sophomoric humor. Strength coach Yancy McKnight got a call from a blocked number that left a voicemail in which the caller threatened to kill McKnight’s family. “You’ll find your family hung in the kitchen with their throats slit,” the voicemail to McKnight said. The caller punctuated with the message: “F--- you.”

The other half of that conversation : d63ee7848a09bd4a68fa4721a5b9a9af.jpg

Good Yancy story (lengthy, exerpts only).    CDC aligned the stars.

McKnight was 33 at the time coach Todd Graham hired him as the Rice strength coach. That 2006 season was rather special based on current standards. The Owls had gone 1-10 the previous year. Going 7-6 and reaching the New Orleans Bowl was a raving success.

Graham bolted for Tulsa after that season, and McKnight went along for the ride. Back in Houston, then-Rice athletic director Chris Del Conte made the rare decision to let athletes give input on the search committee. The overwhelming message? Get McKnight Del Conte, never one to let finances stand in the way, offered McKnight a salary he couldn’t refuse. New Owls coach David Baliff re-hired the Rice strength coach along with a slew of other new assistants — including Herman, his 31-year-old offensive coordinator from Texas State.

“He’s a guy that you just respect the hell out of,” former Rice quarterback Chase Clement told the American-Statesman in 2017. “I just feel like there’s nobody in our program that had more respect than Yancy. He was very fair. He just knows how to push you.”

Herman spent two years at Rice and left for Iowa State in 2009. McKnight followed him to Ames and had a three-hour interview with coach Paul Rhoades.

The Cyclones’ offensive coordinator and strength coach were both pivotal to Iowa State’s monumental 28-21 upset win in Austin in 2010. Like anyone rising in their profession, McKnight had been around long enough to see who were rising stars and who weren’t. McKnight knew Herman was going places.

“When he left to go to Ohio State (in 2012), I told him, ‘Whenever you get that shot, let me know,’” McKnight said. “To be honest with you, it was kind of like wherever.”

McKnight truly didn’t care where they ended up. Herman interviewed for the Connecticut job prior to the 2013 season. “He asked me and I was like, ‘Yeah, I’m in,’” McKnight said. “That’s the way I felt about it, to be honest with you.”

Herman wouldn’t get his first head coaching shot until Houston in 2015. McKnight packed up his cold-weather gear in Ames and couldn’t move fast enough.

“A lot of people say why would you leave a Big 12 job to go to Houston or wherever,” McKnight said. “You just know what you know and what your belief is. Seeing the success at Rice, Iowa State and then at Ohio State, with their offensive success there, just had a pretty good hunch that he was going to be a good head guy.”

https://www.hookem.com/columns/eyes-texas-tom-herman-yancy-mcknights-pairing-rice-started-long-road-ut/

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...