2017-2018 PGA Tour

bigup2dahorns

Didn't realize he was in the field this week - still a little while to make your guess.
80wditch  - over or under his trademark name for Thur/Fri (o/u line is +/- 79.5)
I'm taking under today, and over tomorrow

Hey he went under today!

Withdraw after going 8 over through 10

The Golf Club of Houston has announced they will no longer host the Houston Open. No sponsor, no venue. Tourney might be in trouble. What would be be the best venue? I know there was some Memorial Park talk a while back but I don’t see how that would work. Course isn’t good enough and there is no clubhouse. 

Edited by TonyTexas

4 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

The Golf Club of Houston has announced they will no longer host the Houston Open. No sponsor, no venue. Tourney might be in trouble. What would be be the best venue? I know there was some Memorial Park talk a while back but I don’t see how that would work. Course isn’t good enough and there is no clubhouse. 

Come on down P66 or CPC. How about Tillman. It can be be the Rocket Open. 

16 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

The Mayor volunteered Memorial Park, which would be awesome, but is no where close to ready to host a tour event without massive investment and changes. 

Looks like the Valero is now taking Houston's spot next year before the Masters officially and Houston is likely off the schedule at least for next year. Poor leadership by HGA. 

Absolutely poor leadership by the HGA. Rumor has it they turned down several smaller deals (i.e. less than 10 years) in pursuit of the golden goose (i.e 10 year deal), which no one was willing to give. For Estancia (the owner of GCoH) to announce that they are not willing to host the tournament, even though the Tournament Course was built to host the event and HGA's offices are down the street, speaks to that. Either HGA already told them that the tourney wasn't coming back to the club no matter what and this was a move to save face by the club or the club saw the writing on the wall and didn't want to be on the hook for a sponsorless tournament which would probably be an expensive proposition for the club. I know a fair number of club members.....will see what I can dig up on this.

Memorial Park would be a horrible place to host the tournament. The course isn't even close to being PGA playable not to mention there is no infrastructure either on course or around it (parking, etc.). It would take 2 to 3 years to build a course suitable (based on how long it took to re-purpose El Dorado CC into the Tournament Course at GCoH). In fact, Houston has surprisingly very few courses that could hold a tournament like this and I am not sure if there are any inside the city limits that could to that (despite what Sylvester Turner wants). 

My guess is that there will be no Houston Open in 2019 and for that Steve Timms and his cronies at the HGA should be removed in due course as a result. If the tournament resurrects at some point, keep an eye on Bluejack, Tiger's course out in Magnolia. Probably the only other course (other than GCoH) that would be suited for the PGA and that pros might want to play. Having lost the pre-Masters spot was already going to be a challenging draw, but unless you have an interesting course (and I don't think they can make Memorial Park into that), you aren't going to get the big names. Sure, Texans like Spieth would probably play out of loyalty to the state, but not sure you get the DJ's, the Rickie Fowlers, etc. 

4 hours ago, PencilPusher said:

Absolutely poor leadership by the HGA. Rumor has it they turned down several smaller deals (i.e. less than 10 years) in pursuit of the golden goose (i.e 10 year deal), which no one was willing to give. For Estancia (the owner of GCoH) to announce that they are not willing to host the tournament, even though the Tournament Course was built to host the event and HGA's offices are down the street, speaks to that. Either HGA already told them that the tourney wasn't coming back to the club no matter what and this was a move to save face by the club or the club saw the writing on the wall and didn't want to be on the hook for a sponsorless tournament which would probably be an expensive proposition for the club. I know a fair number of club members.....will see what I can dig up on this.

Memorial Park would be a horrible place to host the tournament. The course isn't even close to being PGA playable not to mention there is no infrastructure either on course or around it (parking, etc.). It would take 2 to 3 years to build a course suitable (based on how long it took to re-purpose El Dorado CC into the Tournament Course at GCoH). In fact, Houston has surprisingly very few courses that could hold a tournament like this and I am not sure if there are any inside the city limits that could to that (despite what Sylvester Turner wants). 

My guess is that there will be no Houston Open in 2019 and for that Steve Timms and his cronies at the HGA should be removed in due course as a result. If the tournament resurrects at some point, keep an eye on Bluejack, Tiger's course out in Magnolia. Probably the only other course (other than GCoH) that would be suited for the PGA and that pros might want to play. Having lost the pre-Masters spot was already going to be a challenging draw, but unless you have an interesting course (and I don't think they can make Memorial Park into that), you aren't going to get the big names. Sure, Texans like Spieth would probably play out of loyalty to the state, but not sure you get the DJ's, the Rickie Fowlers, etc. 

Love Bluejack, see no way it hosts a tour event though. 

Perhaps but there aren't many other options that would be appealing to tournament players. If they do end up at Memorial, the Houston Open probably becomes a lesser tournament. PGA was looking to cut events anyway and shorten the season...possible that the Houston Open is no longer a FedEx Cup points event. 

Hard to believe, but I think the best golf tournament in the entire state is now the WGC Dell Match Play event......that wasn't the case 5 years ago. 

23 hours ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

I wonder how the Byron Nelson will fair at the new Trinity Forest venue in South Dallas. I have been on the course and it is a complete departure from the old venue. No trees, no shade. Links style course.

Fare.

I predict the pros will EAT IT UP.  May is not the time for that course.  Greens will be softer and slower than desired, and the pros will be taking target practice out there.  Birdie fest.  The only hope is if they get 20-30 mph steady winds with higher gusts.  Needs to be played in September if they want to make par relevant. 

Player Championship guess'em

1. Balls in the water on 17, on Thursday & Friday (total for both days)
2. Balls in the water on Saturday & Sunday (after the cut)
3. Best finish by a player who has been No. 1 in the OWGR (Tiger, DJ, Day, Spieth, Rory, Scott, Kaymer)
4. a)Pick the winner 
b) winning score

Best finish by a player with no majors (looking at you Rickie, Hideki and and some euros like IJP)

Bonus pick - Tiger Woods - make the cut or misses the cut

Welcome LSG. how’s the dome? Playing LCC MG Friday with DDD. Might wear a helmet in honor of you.

Funny Playing LCC today and I’m sure the talk of wearing a helmet will come up!! My partner didn’t get into the MG this weekend....sounds like we will miss out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's had one good stint at TPC Sawgrass but otherwise, Spieth gets demolished on this course. Not getting the Spieth optimism.

He's my pick for pretty much any major and he claims he's finally coming around to treating The Players as a major - miss in the right spots, take your medicine, avoid the big numbers. But until I see those changes actually happen, I have a hard time picking him to make the cut after the last few years he's had here, let alone post a good number.

Edited by dieucla98

Funny Playing LCC today and I’m sure the talk of wearing a helmet will come up!! My partner didn’t get into the MG this weekend....sounds like we will miss out.

Ha

Tell us how they’re rolling for Friday!

Played brook hollow today with DDD DAD and babysdaddy. Fun day. We had a nice little pillow fight out there. Dad found his new favorite caddie.

5 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

He's had one good stint at TPC Sawgrass but otherwise, Spieth gets demolished on this course. Not getting the Spieth optimism.

He's my pick for pretty much any major and he claims he's finally coming around to treating The Players as a major - miss in the right spots, take your medicine, avoid the big numbers. But until I see those changes actually happen, I have a hard time picking him to make the cut after the last few years he's had here, let alone post a good number.

Demolished? I'm fairly certain he's been 1 or 2 back of the cut the last couple years.  Despite not playing Sawgrass at an expected Spieth-level, his worst round is 75.  Jason Day has an 81 non-weekend round out there within the last 2 years.  

Looking closer at his last 6 rounds during the stretch of back-to-back-to-back missed cuts, he's gone 75-72-72-71-73-75. So, he's got 2 bad rounds and 4 decent rounds.  How many elite level guys on tour right now haven't had a Th/Fri round like that on this course over the last 3 years?  

DJ's length off the tee aside, Jordan is the best tee-to-green player on tour.  He hasn't played his best golf at Sawgrass, but let's not pretend that he's completely lost out there.  If his putter is dialed in, we are talking about the best golfer on the planet.  That is why there is optimism.

1 hour ago, Horn21 said:

Demolished? I'm fairly certain he's been 1 or 2 back of the cut the last couple years.  Despite not playing Sawgrass at an expected Spieth-level, his worst round is 75.  Jason Day has an 81 non-weekend round out there within the last 2 years.  

Looking closer at his last 6 rounds during the stretch of back-to-back-to-back missed cuts, he's gone 75-72-72-71-73-75. So, he's got 2 bad rounds and 4 decent rounds.  How many elite level guys on tour right now haven't had a Th/Fri round like that on this course over the last 3 years?  

DJ's length off the tee aside, Jordan is the best tee-to-green player on tour.  He hasn't played his best golf at Sawgrass, but let's not pretend that he's completely lost out there.  If his putter is dialed in, we are talking about the best golfer on the planet.  That is why there is optimism.

If he doesn't have to use driver or 3 wood off the tee, I concur. This is the problem for awhile now. I think he should use his 3 wood as much as he can this week and not tee it up. Can pick it great when its off the ground.

Just a simpleton golfers opinion.

TPC Sawgrass is just 5 miles down the street, so I’ve been looking forward to this for a while! I’m going to bike down early Friday morning and spend the day w Tiger in the morning and Jordan in the afternoon. Will probably take the kids (they get in free!) Sunday. Weather here has been stupid gorgeous for the last several weeks and it looks like it’s going to continue through the weekend.

• Like 1

Ha

Tell us how they’re rolling for Friday!

Played brook hollow today with DDD DAD and babysdaddy. Fun day. We had a nice little pillow fight out there. Dad found his new favorite caddie.

Greens are slower than normal and a little sandy still from being punched not to long ago. Pic of caddy?

22 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

17 hours ago, Horn21 said:

He hasn't played his best golf at Sawgrass, but let's not pretend that he's completely lost out there.

I'd like to amend my position.  He's completely lost out there.

Just wanted to stop by and say “fuck Hefty” Runs his mouth about a winner take all with Tiger and proceeds to shoot 79. Biggest choker and underachieving shit bag in history. 

43 PGA wins (9th all time)

10 European tour wins

5 majors

Won 3 of 4 majors and 2nd place a record 6 times at the us open

Already inducted in the golf of hall of fame

Won Haskins Award for best college golfer three times, and won ncaa individual championship a record three times along with Crenshaw.

Was only the second collegiate golfer to win first team all American honors four years and of course win a PGA Tour event as an amateur.

Yeah, big choker and underachiever...now you can leave again

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mileslong said:

43 PGA wins (9th all time)

10 European tour wins

5 majors

Won 3 of 4 majors and 2nd place a record 6 times at the us open

Already inducted in the golf of hall of fame

Yeah, big choker and underachiever...now you can leave again

I see people post European wins (typically for Tiger), and I'm not sure if you realize it but most of those are included in the PGA Tour wins that you listed above.
Majors and WGC's are recognized by both tours - so of those 10 European wins 5 are majors and 3 are WGC's.
Not that Phil hasn't had a great career, just pointing that out