2019 Board Improvement Thread

immamac

That's like adding some filet medallions to a big steaming pile of baby diarrhea and calling it edible. I pray that the CR isn't representative of political thought by the majority of the country. There is no middle ground in the CR.  Conservative trolls, a complete circle jerk from the left, pot stirrers and angry women from other states.
You must be new to political talk. CR is absolutely the representation of how bipartisan politics are discussed on this country. 2 sides entrenched in their stance and it's more about whose side is "right"than discussing the issues like rational humans. Then they forget about politics and just start attacking each other personally.

Actually the political section on City Data is much worse than CR.

9 hours ago, Newdoc said:

That's like adding some filet medallions to a big steaming pile of baby diarrhea and calling it edible. I pray that the CR isn't representative of political thought by the majority of the country. There is no middle ground in the CR.  Conservative trolls, a complete circle jerk from the left, pot stirrers and angry women from other states.

Yeah, but have you seen the Texags political forum? 

We need the ability to leave comments with our rep. I had to pos rep someone today that I cant stand pos repping. I like to let them know that their post was good enough to overcome my dislike for them without dragging it into the thread.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2019 at 8:22 AM, immamac said:

It's sadly representative of the rest of the country when it comes to the conversation. Extremists on either side sucking all the air out of the room for the "normies" to have a conversation about policy. 

If you banned party talk CR would die and then would bleed out into the main board, it's just going to remain what it is unfortunately.

Please, please don't let it die and bleed out onto the main board,  worlds colliding, something, something. 

Can't you just lock them in somehow?

We need the ability to leave comments with our rep. I had to pos rep someone today that I cant stand pos repping. I like to let them know that their post was good enough to overcome my dislike for them without dragging it into the thread.

Thanks?

Before the update, I could either select condensed or expanded view on any page OR I could select it on "New Posts" search and it was "sticky" for all pages.  I don't remember how it worked exactly, but everything was expanded view.

Now, I have the option for my "New Posts" search only, and it is effective only for that page(s).  The "forums" view or any individual forum are all condensed.

On 3/15/2019 at 3:39 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Before the update, I could either select condensed or expanded view on any page OR I could select it on "New Posts" search and it was "sticky" for all pages.  I don't remember how it worked exactly, but everything was expanded view.

Now, I have the option for my "New Posts" search only, and it is effective only for that page(s).  The "forums" view or any individual forum are all condensed.

Belay this.  Before, I was using "Default" theme, where the condensed view of all fora or an individual forum is more expanded looking than in "Main."  So it doesn't appear to have changed.

On that note right now we have distributed app nodes handling all this and they all have their own filesystem which gets desynced. Currently we are syncing it every 10 minutes, but obviously it's not perfect from the feedback we are getting. We are putting together a SAN to use in the rack, but what else do we wanna use all this disk space for? Currently all avatars and data (excluding database) for surly is ~20GB - we are about to have 20TB available. What ideas do you guys/gals have to maybe have more value added stuff on surly?

If we do go down the path of image hosting it will have to be strictly images you own the copyright for because it opens up a whole different can of worms.

7 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Can we get a "boner" rep emoji please? Sometimes a post on the pron board gives me a boner, and id like to let that poster know I'm thankful. I'm getting older and the boners less frequent, so I appreciate each and every occurrence. 

This would come in handy for the recruiting forum as well.

• Like 1

I don't see an upside to hosting. Seems like it would be a pita.

Like the idea of expanding subscriber privileges and such.

Can you look into making Yarn videos embedable? The gifs work, but not the vids.

Edited by RPM

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:12 AM, Cheeseweasel said:

Any chance we can change to Edit system to allow for "quick fixes"? I hate posting something, only to see a typo and have to edit it 5 seconds later. 

Fuck aggy

I would like this.  Seems like the old site that shall not be named allowed for some grace period of a couple minutes or so to edit for typos or additional thoughts without the "Edit" label appearing.

Beats me, I've never seen an ad on this site. Do we even have them here? Are you sure you're even on the right Surly? I mean, they did create that spoof site so that all the dumb folks would congregate there and leave all of us cool people alone. The one the guys in VIP call "NSVIP". 

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Probably been mentioned, but why on some threads can you jump right to the last page, and on others you have to click on the thread first, which takes you to page one, and THEN jump to the last page?  This must not stand.

It jumps you to the most recent unread post if you aren't caught up on the thread. Otherwise, page 1.

If you want to jump to the most recent post, click the timestamp on the far right.

On 4/3/2019 at 1:44 PM, immamac said:

I'm thinking every subscriber/treefiddy member gets 1gb of image hosting to start - we'll go from there.

I like this idea.

On 4/3/2019 at 9:14 PM, markstanco said:

Sounds like a nightmare keeping up with what we subscribers keep on your hard drive. I would steer clear of that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Sounds like something a non-subscriber would say.