2019 Board Improvement Thread

immamac

Hey guys, with the new year I wanted to spend more time on the site improving it from a usability perspective.

Main things I'm thinking now are better twitter integrations and possibly a new way to interact with the game thread that feels more like "chat" but keeps the same layout/format

No solution, but to add to page load time issue above, the most frustrating thing about the board is when you jump to a new post in the middle of a thread full of tweets/images and the page jumps around on you multiple times while you’re trying to read.  Especially frustrating when it’s a single piece of content thats simply being quoted by multiple people and loading over and over again.

• Like 9

Can you find a fix for the double post glitch? Seems to happen when you post a reply from a page that isn't the last page in the thread. The page does nothing so you can't tell you already posted and like a dumbass keep hitting submit.

I like the new touches with the forum names. Might I suggest a Sugar Bowl Bevo background? 

Edited by RPM

20 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

No solution, but to add to page load time issue above, the most frustrating thing about the board is when you jump to a new post in the middle of a thread full of tweets/images and the page jumps around on you multiple times while you’re trying to read.  Especially frustrating when it’s a single piece of content thats simply being quoted by multiple people and loading over and over again.

I don't experience this often, but I have in the past. If you just let the page load it actually scrolls back to the intended spot automatically. 

I'll look into something that will improve this behavior though. 

3 hours ago, immamac said:

I don't experience this often, but I have in the past. If you just let the page load it actually scrolls back to the intended spot automatically. 

I'll look into something that will improve this behavior though. 

You’re correct, if I wait it’ll fully load and put me at the right spot.  The problem is that I’m an impatient asshole and even though I understand what happening when the page is loading in the browser I still try to read the posts before it’s fully loaded.

The only thing I’ve thought that could help with this is the same unpopular suggestion listed above my first post, or if you had the functionality to auto collapse quote windows like spoilers.

This is not that big of a deal, but if you were asking for improvement suggestions that is the biggest one in my opinion.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2019 at 12:53 AM, spystud13 said:

And ban kopp0e. Jesus fuck, he’s a beating with the tweets. 

the NBA season thread has been overrun with these tweets, and despite everyone not named vic asking him to stop over and over and over, it only continues. we've even made a dedicated thread for nba social media and memes, but he and vic think it's just hilarious to piss everyone off, so the nba thread remains cluttered with social media shit that nobody wants to see. 

Edited by Goo Punch

On 1/4/2019 at 7:55 AM, SquishMitten said:

I liked in the past that it didn’t notate that the post was edited if you fixed something in the first couple minutes.

Also, this. The first minute or so to fix a simple typo doesn’t need the notation. It’s pretty irrelevant. 

He’s not technically spamming, he just never posts an original thought. Every single tweet he sees that could potentially be relevant to any thread gets posted. He’s the main reason most of us have the page-jumping problem on football & basketball threads. 

Here’s just one very small sample. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 2:01 PM, Goo Punch said:

the NBA season thread has been overrun with these tweets, and despite everyone not named vic asking him to stop over and over and over, it only continues. we've even made a dedicated thread for nba social media and memes, but he and vic think it's just hilarious to piss everyone off, so the nba thread remains cluttered with social media shit that nobody wants to see. 

On 1/7/2019 at 2:15 PM, immamac said:

report the tweet spammers and I'll get them taken care of. 

I'll open a ticket with invision to see if there is a way to keep the board from jumping around while it's in the loading phase.

The ignore function would fix this for those annoyed by it, would it not?

• Like 1

Imma:

Thanks for all the hard work man... It's such a great place for the surly to hang out.

I've been having a Tapa issue lately on multiple Android devices. Whenever I try to go to Timeline or Unread in Tapa, I get a memory allocation error. I also get the same error when I try to search the board for posts on this...searched "memory error" and got a memory error. Brilliant troll!

I'll reply to this with a screen grab...device hopping.

On 1/7/2019 at 1:09 PM, spystud13 said:

Also, this. The first minute or so to fix a simple typo doesn’t need the notation. It’s pretty irrelevant. 

i doubt that's something that's changeable. 

for tapa issues, if you haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling tapa, do that first.

On 1/6/2019 at 4:59 PM, George said:

Curious if there’s a way to increase the font size. It’s hard to read the Surl while driving with my fading eye sight and random pedestrians on the sidewalk jumping out in front of me. 

on firefox and chrome use ctrl and + to make things bigger.  works on a per site basis and remembers.  i've got this place set at 120%. 

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

i doubt that's something that's changeable. 

for tapa issues, if you haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling tapa, do that first.

on firefox and chrome use ctrl and + to make things bigger.  works on a per site basis and remembers.  i've got this place set at 120%. 

I’m referring to safari on iPhone. I rarely, if ever, pull up the Surl on my computer. 

On 1/8/2019 at 5:41 PM, Digdogger said:

Not directly a board issue, but maybe do some sort of contest that the winner gets a penis enlargement.  I mean I wouldn’t enter, but I have a friend who posts that could use it

The first poster to promise to violently rape Digdogger after getting the penis enlargement wins?  

• Like 1