2019 Board Improvement Thread

immamac

@immamac score-stream looks like it's listing games out of order. not sure if it's worth a fix or out of your control or not but it has basketball games in Feb listed before games in Jan.

Nvm just realized it's listing baseball over basketball. Given the point in the season - it would make sense for basketball to be at the top though, right? Baseball doesn't start until Feb. 

Edited by ztejas

On 1/19/2019 at 8:49 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

You should consider deleting the Politics board. There are sports fan communities that don't have forums for any kind of political talk. It actually works a lot better. 

That idea has popped up every year since the beginning of HornFans-the problem with getting rid of it is that political discussion will leak over to every other board.  It’s a place of quarantine, not for reasonable debate.  

• Like 2

You should consider deleting the Politics board. There are sports fan communities that don't have forums for any kind of political talk. It actually works a lot better. 

Why you trying to censor me, bro? I'm saying important things in there.  Important.  Things.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LCHorn said:

That idea has popped up every year since the beginning of HornFans-the problem with getting rid of it is that political discussion will leak over to every other board.  It’s a place of quarantine, not for reasonable debate.  

That's the theory, and I have certainly seen that play out in practice, but I have also (to my everlasting surprise) seen the opposite play out as well, where politics is just not allowed at all and the community gets along fine (better, in my opinion, because instead of those disagreements leaking out to other boards, you don't even know who thinks what politically). 

I don't go in CR and don't really care, but thought I would point out that it's not a foregone conclusion that you "have" to have a politics board.

19 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

That's the theory, and I have certainly seen that play out in practice, but I have also (to my everlasting surprise) seen the opposite play out as well, where politics is just not allowed at all and the community gets along fine (better, in my opinion, because instead of those disagreements leaking out to other boards, you don't even know who thinks what politically). 

I don't go in CR and don't really care, but thought I would point out that it's not a foregone conclusion that you "have" to have a politics board.

One of the things I like about posting here is the lack of arbitrary censorship. Aside from being a troll or espousing extremely hateful views it seems like you can discuss just about anything you damn please here. 

I've never posted in the CR but I lurk there sometimes when I see a thread that piques my interest. Yeah there's a lot of horseshit in there - there's also a lot of pretty level-headed, informed discourse. 

Like others have said, the fact that the CR exists works wonders to filter out politics from the rest, because you can point the discussion to a separate forum. 

"Not allowing it at all" gets messy. So "politics isn't allowed" what does that mean? Can I make a tongue in cheek joke with political overtones? Can we talk about the government shutdown in passing on a different forum? Can we still make fun of aggy? Slippery slope. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 12:42 PM, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I'll second coming up with funnier names for the different areas.  Its a lot more fun to go to RC Didn't Offer than it is to go to Recruiting. I'm unfortunately not bright enough to come up with better names, but surely someone here is.

"I'm in hydraulics"

31 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Like others have said, the fact that the CR exists works wonders to filter out politics from the rest, because you can point the discussion to a separate forum. 

"Not allowing it at all" gets messy. So "politics isn't allowed" what does that mean? Can I make a tongue in cheek joke with political overtones? Can we talk about the government shutdown in passing on a different forum? Can we still make fun of aggy? Slippery slope. 

I have heard all this before. It is not necessarily the case. It is an assumption people make about message boards but there is (anecdotal) evidence to the contrary. 

By the standard of your second paragraph, does Surly need a Racism forum? Isn't it a slippery slope to say "racism isn't allowed"...?

13 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I have heard all this before. It is not necessarily the case. It is an assumption people make about message boards but there is (anecdotal) evidence to the contrary. 

By the standard of your second paragraph, does Surly need a Racism forum? Isn't it a slippery slope to say "racism isn't allowed"...?

You can PM me if you want to discuss further. I laid out my thoughts pretty plainly and I'm not changing my stance. 

13 hours ago, sidis said:

advertisers don't give a fuck if it's poo-flinging.

Thus, the response I got. I get it, I mean I'm only a little stupid. I wasn't giving business advice. Although, thinking about it, pretty sure the no-politics sports sites I'm thinking of are a lot bigger than this one.

Again, I'm not particularly interested in changing hearts or minds. I just thought it was an interesting contradiction of "well everyone knows" conventional wisdom that you don't actually have to have a Special Ed classroom on your sportsball website. 

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Thus, the response I got. I get it, I mean I'm only a little stupid. I wasn't giving business advice. Although, thinking about it, pretty sure the no-politics sports sites I'm thinking of are a lot bigger than this one.

Again, I'm not particularly interested in changing hearts or minds. I just thought it was an interesting contradiction of "well everyone knows" conventional wisdom that you don't actually have to have a Special Ed classroom on your sportsball website. 

If this was a brand new website and community that'd be one thing, but surly is just the latest in a decade plus long lineage of Texas themed shitposting. Most of the memes and in jokes are from the old site, and the structure is very similar in terms of board organization and moderation

3 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

.. I just thought it was an interesting contradiction of "well everyone knows" conventional wisdom that you don't actually have to have a Special Ed classroom on your sportsball website. 

Most sports talk websites ARE special ed classrooms. 

• Haha 1

Why? Let them have at it in there. It doesn't harm the forum at all. As long as it's contained in there.

On 1/3/2019 at 2:31 AM, immamac said:

Hey guys, with the new year I wanted to spend more time on the site improving it from a usability perspective.

Main things I'm thinking now are better twitter integrations and possibly a new way to interact with the game thread that feels more like "chat" but keeps the same layout/format

• Direct WebM embedding, please, similar to the previous board... [webm]Kevin_Morgan_drinks_out_of_toilet.webm[/webm]. Gfycat embedding isn't the most elegant provisional solution and giant GIFs slow down the site considerably on slower connections.
  • Automatic size limit, especially for vertical video behemoths.

Imma:

Thanks for all the hard work man... It's such a great place for the surly to hang out.

I've been having a Tapa issue lately on multiple Android devices. Whenever I try to go to Timeline or Unread in Tapa, I get a memory allocation error. I also get the same error when I try to search the board for posts on this...searched "memory error" and got a memory error. Brilliant troll!

I'll reply to this with a screen grab...device hopping.

a5b69bfe1f5b046075644bff6e0bf3e9.jpg
Yeah I've been getting the same problem for a while too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2019 at 10:17 AM, ztejas said:

One of the things I like about posting here is the lack of arbitrary censorship. Aside from being a troll or espousing extremely hateful views it seems like you can discuss just about anything you damn please here. 

I've never posted in the CR but I lurk there sometimes when I see a thread that piques my interest. Yeah there's a lot of horseshit in there - there's also a lot of pretty level-headed, informed discourse. 

Just like to echo this take. 

What makes this place unique is almost no topic is off limits.  That’s an asset and not a liability in today’s world of safe spaces.  

I was on another forum that has a political talk forum but one day just arbitrarily decided to ban discussions on religion.  The forum has since been more and more restrictive on topics of discussion and the board is now dogshit outside of the sports team they’re dedicated to.  

Going down the censorship road seems antithetical to the spirit of how this community of posters got started. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

Random thought for the Help forum: how about stickies at the top for contractor recommendations for the major metro areas like the food forums?

Could even put in sponsored lists for each area for long time friends, e.g. ROFL

Edited by Grippe

42 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Can we get baseball games added to the scorestream on the home page? Thought I'd seen em there before, but it's only showing tonight's basketball game right now @immamac

I just check and for some reason they just aren't showing up till April in Scorestream. I let them know.

On 1/21/2019 at 10:17 AM, ztejas said:

That's like adding some filet medallions to a big steaming pile of baby diarrhea and calling it edible. I pray that the CR isn't representative of political thought by the majority of the country. There is no middle ground in the CR.  Conservative trolls, a complete circle jerk from the left, pot stirrers and angry women from other states.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

That's like adding some filet medallions to a big steaming pile of baby diarrhea and calling it edible. I pray that the CR isn't representative of political thought by the majority of the country. There is no middle ground in the CR.  Conservative trolls, a complete circle jerk from the left, pot stirrers and angry women from other states.

It's sadly representative of the rest of the country when it comes to the conversation. Extremists on either side sucking all the air out of the room for the "normies" to have a conversation about policy. 

If you banned party talk CR would die and then would bleed out into the main board, it's just going to remain what it is unfortunately.

• Like 1