College Tuition for the Independent

Dbeasy

My kids have a friend whose parents won’t pay any more for her college. She apparently didn’t do well and struggled. She wants to continue but has no money and no credit. Even though she’s trying to pay herself, the FAFSA process apparently ignores the fact that she’s getting no help from her parents, who have the means to pay. She only qualified for about half of her tuition and got turned down for other loans. Is there anything else she can do?

Has she thought about going to Community College?

I have 2 going full-time to stay & play schools (tution, dorm, food plan, etc) and 1 doing Community college 9. The CC tuition is comparatively inexpensive, and he works full-time as well so he isn't living at home. We help them all to different extents, circumstances. but he requires very little help. Usually just when he has to get books, which have been 1/2 of his tuition some semesters.

5 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

My kids have a friend whose parents won’t pay any more for her college. She apparently didn’t do well and struggled. She wants to continue but has no money and no credit. Even though she’s trying to pay herself, the FAFSA process apparently ignores the fact that she’s getting no help from her parents, who have the means to pay. She only qualified for about half of her tuition and got turned down for other loans. Is there anything else she can do?

This is weird, is it just cultural at this point to go to college? what university caliber are we talking about here if she "struggled" in high school I doubt it's even worth paying the tuition for the social experience.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, immamac said:

This is weird, is it just cultural at this point to go to college? what university caliber are we talking about here if she "struggled" in high school I doubt it's even worth paying the tuition for the social experience.

High schools nowadays push kids to get ready for college. I mean, they really try to brainwash the kids that if they don’t go to college, their only possible outcome is to live under a bridge. At least my kids’ high school does that (in Austin ISD). It’s been a struggle for me to try to de-program my kids from that bullshit.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, immamac said:

I think OP is saying the girl has struggled in college and her parents won't pay the bill anymore, not that she struggled in high school. I scored in the 93rd percentile of the reading portion of the SAT (actually true), so I'm definitely right here.