Championship game prices down 90 percent from last year

Hornius Emeritus

26 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Now tell me how many drugs you had to ingest to suspend reality enough to get aggy to the CFP.

Well they've got a plan, they just haven't been able to entice Saban to ride in a convertible through Dealey Plaza.

Edited by clapclapclap
I can't spell squat.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

The Pac 12 MBB tournament is in Vegas this year.

The Pac 12 will do what it takes to make $$$$.  They're hard-up for it.  LV is pretty untapped in terms of big college sports events.  If the Pac 12 tournament does well, I wouldn't be surprised to see it become a site for more events (Pac 12 FB championship, NCAA tournament, a major bowl game).

Plus the locals in Vegas like sports and turn out for events. Look how quickly and rabidly they got into hockey when the Golden Knights showed up.

Why is the article comparing the peak price from last year to the lowest price this year? Give us the lowest price both years.

obviously it is still going to be much lower this year because the game isn't being played in Atlanta, but at least give us something we can actually compare.

they should eliminate the ooc games early in the season.  those games are straight fluff and meaningless anyway.  have the conferences distill their top teams to participate in a playoff starting a month earlier.  the bowl money-suckers would present the last games leading to the champ chump.

2 minutes ago, yaqdum said:

they should eliminate the ooc games early in the season.  those games are straight fluff and meaningless anyway.  have the conferences distill their top teams to participate in a playoff starting a month earlier.  the bowl money-suckers would present the last games leading to the champ chump.

lol wut. I hope you just mean the lame neutral-site ones.

This year's non-semi NY6 were the highest rated since the start of the CFP. The national championship will still have very strong TV ratings. College football has its issues but the title game ticket prices aren't symptoms of that. Northern California is far from South Carolina and Alabama and is one of the most expensive destinations in the country. It's pretty simple.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

This year's non-semi NY6 were the highest rated since the start of the CFP. The national championship will still have very strong TV ratings. College football has its issues but the title game ticket prices aren't symptoms of that. Northern California is far from South Carolina and Alabama and is one of the most expensive destinations in the country. It's pretty simple.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Link?

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

They don't have to do that.  New Years Day should be college football all day anyway.  Move the semifinals back a week.  Move the Fiesta to New Year's Eve.  Move the Sugar and Rose to 12 and 3 pm Eastern on New Year's Day, and finish the entire college football season with the CFP championship game on the same night.

Also cancel all the shit bowls.  30 teams max should go bowling/playoffs.

The Sugar won't move from 7PM central and the Rose sure as hell isn't (and won't) be played at noon PT.  

5 hours ago, Jimbaround said:

https://blog.ticketiq.com/blog/2019-college-football-playoff-tickets-prices-schedule

Interesting graphs here.  This game is the farthest average distance for both teams in the last nine years (2,428 miles) compared to last year with the shortest (136 miles).  Consequently, last year's game had the most expensive "cheapest tickets" in the last nine years.

My wife (Clemson) and I went to the first Clemson-Bama game in Glendale and planned on going to Tampa for the rematch the next year. She bought plane tickets and we had free places to stay since she lived in Clearwater Beach for 3.5 years after graduating. Ticket prices were astounding for that game based on the proximity to both schools and the fact that a bunch of Clemson fans didn't spend money on semifinal tickets that season. I think the "get-in-the-door" price was $1500-$2000 when we decided to bail on the trip.

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

This. I've never seen Bama play Clemson. Seriously. Saw end of Bama / UGa last year.

I care, but I don't... 

You missed a couple of absolutely great games in the first two; last year's was a dud. It's also why Kelly Bryant lost his starting job earlier this season.

6 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

BINGO - All year Saturday is college football, and the best games are played prime time Saturday night. This game should kick at 8:05 pm January 5, 2019.

Is CFB too afraid of the NFL first round playoffs, because I'm thinking that the NFL could live with a noon kick and a 4pm kick and free up the evening (sorry 'boys fans).

It also doesn't help that the game is being played not in a college football hotbed; pick a city that embraces college ball - Dallas (Cotton bowl, Jerry's world), LA (Rose Bowl, etc), Phoenix, Miami, New Orleans. Sure it's a nice stadium, but that doesn't make it a college football destiny.

Cowboys have a playoff game Saturday night the 5th. That would be suicide for college football. They are not going to compete with the NFL. Ever. They won't win. And that would be dumb as fuck, too. To have your biggest game of the year go head to head with NFL playoffs.

Nothing wrong with Monday night. Hell our game with Bama in 2009 was a Thursday night. USC was a Wednesday night, right? A fucking Wednesday. I'll take Monday over either of those days.

8 minutes ago, C-Man said:

You missed a couple of absolutely great games in the first two; last year's was a dud. It's also why Kelly Bryant lost his starting job earlier this season.

Uh yeah those first 2 were classics.  2016 game featured 7 scores (5 TD) in the 4th quarter alone.  And 2017, enough said.

Hotels in San Jose (and that entire area) are a bitch to get any kind of availability no matter what time of year.  I recently had to stay in a 1950/60s era motel for $450 a night in San Jose.  The place had all outdoor entry into the rooms and a pool in the parking lot.  The Holiday Inn Express near the airport was going for over $500 per night 

Edited by EuroHorn

9 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Cowboys have a playoff game Saturday night the 5th. That would be suicide for college football. They are not going to compete with the NFL. Ever. They won't win. And that would be dumb as fuck, too. To have your biggest game of the year go head to head with NFL playoffs.

Nothing wrong with Monday night. Hell our game with Bama in 2009 was a Thursday night. USC was a Wednesday night, right? A fucking Wednesday. I'll take Monday over either of those days.

Reading is fundamental - I said push the NFL games to  1 & 4, not go head-to-head; but then I don't really gives a fuck about the Cowboys (I'd watch a MAC team play instead of the 'boys).
The rabid NFL fans will watch that game whenever they play it, including 6am west coast for a game in London.

Also, those dates were from the 2 team "playoff" when the BCS championship game was played as part of the bowl season, not a week removed from it.....ah nevermind, you'll never get it.

23 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Hopefully this one turns out better than the last time they played a playoff game against the Seahawks on Saturday night

1 hour ago, PencilPusher said:

Link?

(All numbers given as Rating/Viewers, all times listed are Central)

2014 Season:

Peach Bowl - 12/31/14 11:30AM - Mississippi vs. TCU - 3.4/5.01M
Fiesta Bowl - 12/31/14 3:00PM - Boise State vs. Arizona - 4.6/7.41M
Orange Bowl - 12/31/14 7:00PM - Mississippi State vs. Georgia Tech - 5.0/8.94M
Cotton Bowl - 1/1/15 11:30AM - Michigan State vs. Baylor - 5.2/9.09M

2015 Season:

Peach Bowl - 12/31/15 11:00AM - Houston vs. Florida State - 3.7/5.60M
Fiesta Bowl - 1/1/16 12:00PM - Ohio State vs. Notre Dame - 5.6/9.76M
Rose Bowl - 1/1/16 4:00PM - Stanford vs. Iowa - 7.4/13.55M
Sugar Bowl - 1/1/16 7:30PM - Mississippi vs. Oklahoma State - 5.1/8.94M

2016 Season:

Orange Bowl - 12/30/16 7:00PM - Florida State vs. Michigan - 6.2/11.46M
Cotton Bowl - 1/2/17 12:00PM - Wisconsin vs. Western Michigan - 3.1/5.44M
Rose Bowl - 1/2/17 4:00PM - Southern Cal vs. Penn State - 8.6/15.74M
Sugar Bowl - 1/2/17 8:30PM - Oklahoma vs. Auburn - 5.6/9.52M

2017 Season:

Cotton Bowl - 12/29/17 7:00PM - Ohio State vs. Southern Cal - 5.3/9.47M
Fiesta Bowl - 12/30/17 3:00PM - Penn State vs. Washington - 5.7/10.17M
Orange Bowl - 12/30/17 7:00PM - Wisconsin vs. Miami - 6.3/11.73M
Peach Bowl - 1/1/18 11:30AM - Central Florida vs. Auburn - 4.6/8.38M

2018 Season:

Peach Bowl - 12/29/18 11:00AM - Florida vs. Michigan - 5.0/8.37M
Fiesta Bowl - 1/1/19 12:00PM - LSU vs. Central Florida - 5.0/8.47M
Rose Bowl - 1/1/19 4:00PM - Ohio State vs. Washington - 9.7/16.78M
Sugar Bowl - 1/1/19 7:30PM - Texas vs. Georgia - 7.8/13.30M

Ratings in bold italics are overnights, finals not available

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Reading is fundamental - I said push the NFL games to  1 & 4, not go head-to-head; but then I don't really gives a fuck about the Cowboys (I'd watch a MAC team play instead of the 'boys).
The rabid NFL fans will watch that game whenever they play it, including 6am west coast for a game in London.

Also, those dates were from the 2 team "playoff" when the BCS championship game was played as part of the bowl season, not a week removed from it.....ah nevermind, you'll never get it.

Aside from the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961, rarely will CFB ever dictate the NFL broadcasting schedule.

31 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Aside from the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961, rarely will CFB ever dictate the NFL broadcasting schedule.

College seems to be afraid of conflicts with the NFL, or more likely ESPN has informed  the NCAA that they won't play bowls against the NFL schedule.    January 1st, 2017 fell on a Sunday.  Week 17 of the NFL season.   College pushed their New Years Day bowls to January 2nd.

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

Riiiight. The NFL is going to move around games for a fucking college football game. Keep dreaming.

38 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

College seems to be afraid of conflicts with the NFL, or more likely ESPN has informed  the NCAA that they won't play bowls against the NFL schedule.    January 1st, 2017 fell on a Sunday.  Week 17 of the NFL season.   College pushed their New Years Day bowls to January 2nd.

Because they know the NFL will crush their ratings. Won't even be close. They know their place. Doesn't matter if it is a national championship game. It is not competing. 

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Because they know the NFL will crush their ratings. Won't even be close. They know their place. Doesn't matter if it is a national championship game. It is not competing. 

If the NFL doesn't let college dictate their schedule as well, then why does the NFL only have Saturday games when college isn't being played?  do you think the NFL is leaving money on the table because they want to be nice?    that would be naive.

Personally I think there is some level of unwritten if not written agreement between the two.  The NFL stays away from Saturday unless college is off and college won't play on Sundays when the NFL is on.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If the NFL doesn't let college dictate their schedule as well, then why does the NFL only have Saturday games when college isn't being played?  do you think the NFL is leaving money on the table because they want to be nice?    that would be naive.

Personally I think there is some level of unwritten if not written agreement between the two.  The NFL stays away from Saturday unless college is off and college won't play on Sundays when the NFL is on.

The NFL is not going to play games on Saturday all year long. You would then be diluting the product too much. NFL now plays Thursday nights ever single week besides the last week or two. And college football always has games on those days. There's no gentlemen's agreement there. College has aired games on Thursdays for a long time now. NFL had no issue getting in on that. 

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Suspend reality for me a moment here and imagine the attendance for a Texas-Texum Aggy CFP semifinal or final at Jerryworld.

In a world where Texas and Aggy met for the first time since the divorce in a game with massive national title implications, it’d be such a bummer to have it played at Jerryworld. People would be amped up, but it’d be hard not to think about how the atmosphere would be 10x better if it was played at DKR or Kyle.

6 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Yeah, the combination of Santa Clara, which absolutely sucks and is far enough from SF that you're not really taking a trip to SF, coupled with these teams having repeated numerous playoff appearances, plus Monday night after the holidays and kids back in school= this is what you get.

San Jose sucks too. I mean it's ok, it's just cheesy Google business park world.

The only thing good in Silicon Valley is Palo Alto.

And yes you are nowhere close to SF in any respect -- in people, culture, location ... Anything.

Like the difference between Austin and San Antonio. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ADHD said:

San Jose sucks too. I mean it's ok, it's just cheesy Google business park world.

The only thing good in Silicon Valley is Palo Alto.

And yes you are nowhere close to SF in any respect -- in people, culture, location ... Anything.

Like the difference between Austin and San Antonio. 

And in shit on the sidewalks 

5a5fbadcf325800124d51a3e

Edited by EuroHorn
  • Like 1

Also people from Alabama and Clemson do not belong in California. They have no money and would not get it. They're not even good tourists. And they're terrible internationalists. The idea of people in Alabama tailgate garb in Chinatown or Napa Valley is hilarious. 

In the Castro district or on Folsom St is lol.

I never hear southern accents in California. Never. It's mostly euro fags, asians, Indians, hispanics, rich liberals, snobs, hipsters, techies and artisans in Northern California. Along with the homeless, the leather men and the protest maniacs.

Harvey Milk and Bear Bryant, haha. Bear means something else in SF ... So maybe he'd be beloved.

Trevor Lawrence would def fit in.

As far as the NGC game time goes - I've always wondered why it's not played on a Saturday at like 2:30 EST, and then 1 NFL playoff game Saturday night, and 3 on Sunday.

Thinking being I'd assume CFB would get more ratings on Saturday afternoon than a week night, while the NFL would more ratings on a Sunday night than a Saturday afternoon.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Did you not read my response to you above? The Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961.

Ohhhhhhhhh the Sports Broadcasting  Act of 1961, yes of course, why didn't I think of that, the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961 makes perfect sense.

What's the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961 ??

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ADHD said:

Also people from Alabama and Clemson do not belong in California. They have no money and would not get it. They're not even good tourists. And they're terrible internationalists. The idea of people in Alabama tailgate garb in Chinatown or Napa Valley is hilarious. 

In the Castro district or on Folsom St is lol.

I never hear southern accents in California. Never. It's mostly euro fags, asians, Indians, hispanics, rich liberals, snobs, hipsters, techies and artisans in Northern California. Along with the homeless, the leather men and the protest maniacs.

Harvey Milk and Bear Bryant, haha. Bear means something else in SF ... So maybe he'd be beloved.

Trevor Lawrence would def fit in.

South Carolina fits in to California "culture" much, much better than Alabama does. Also lots and lots of rich Texas kids going to Clemson these days.

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Ohhhhhhhhh the Sports Broadcasting  Act of 1961, yes of course, why didn't I think of that, the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961 makes perfect sense.

What's the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961 ??

It prohibited streaming ncaa football games to handheld devices 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

forget it boyo.  It would be more likely that angels would fly out of your arse than the NFL rescheduling games around college games.