Kingsbury interviewing for NFL Jobs

Hornius Emeritus

Just now, Hornius Emeritus said:

Poor USC can't seem to catch a break. Kingsbury interviewing with Jets, Cardinals etc....

www.yahoo.com/sports/sources-kliff-kingsbury-get-head-coaching-interviews-jets-cardinals-232458625.html

Not even slightly surprising.  The NFL is way behind the college game in adapting to the spread.  That didn't matter as long as there was a tacit agreement by all the teams to ignore offensive innovation.  Now that young QBs (esp out of the Air Raid) are lighting up the league that's no longer possible and everyone is scrambling to catch up.  Ready or not, the QBs are in the league.  Now they need the coaching to take advantage.

2 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

This is mostly due to Andy Reid. One of the most respected coaches of the last 20 years loves the guy and has gone to him for help. His stamp of approval means everything to NFL types. 

I agree it has to do with Reid and mahomes.  this guy was a failure at Tech and he got the gig because Manziel would run around until he could throw it up to Evans.   basically, everyone is saying "yeah we know, Tech, no one can win there, you are still head coach material".

yet Mike Leach who actually was pretty damn successful at Tech probably couldn't even sniff an NFL interview.

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I agree it has to do with Reid and mahomes.  this guy was a failure at Tech and he got the gig because Manziel would run around until he could throw it up to Evans.   basically, everyone is saying "yeah we know, Tech, no one can win there, you are still head coach material".

yet Mike Leach who actually was pretty damn successful at Tech probably couldn't even sniff an NFL interview.

The concerns about Leach have nothing to do with football.

3 hours ago, Boogaloo said:

What has this guy done to justify the attention? I really don't get it, he was fired at Tech ffs

The dude has the midas touch when it comes to quarterbacks with Mahomes being his latest QB to enter the NFL. Not to mention he can run an offense better than most people. With the NFL becoming more offensive friendly he seems like a good candidate to be a head coach.

Plus he has Hollywood good looks.

The NFL has some hiring limitations, you can't go buy a currently successful NFL coach because he's under contract and that owner is not going to agree to an interview, a trade maybe. So you have retreads, current OCs because it would be a promotion and unemployed college coaches. The  pool of successful college coaches are either being paid excessively, don't want an NFL job, or not a good fit. So people like Kingsbury get interviews and in fact might be a successful NFL coach because the game is a lot different than coaching 18-22 year olds. Plus, as michaelpshayes says above, "the NFL has a lot of retards for owners and GMs".

Edited by Extra Anejo

32 minutes ago, F250 said:

The dude has the midas touch when it comes to quarterbacks with Mahomes being his latest QB to enter the NFL. Not to mention he can run an offense better than most people. With the NFL becoming more offensive friendly he seems like a good candidate to be a head coach.

So he's basically Andy Reid, Hollywood looks and all 

andy-reid-kool-aid-2.gif

(cartoon looks qualify?)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Also he might have more success under a parity-salary cap situation than trying to recruit talent to play in Lubbock.

• Like 1

NFL teams are desperate to find the next McVay, Reich or Pederson to pair up with their young Quarterbacks. NFL teams make some puzzling hires as well, Adam Gase was a firm flop in Miami and already teams are calling him about their coaching vacancies, Hue Jackson has the 2nd worst winning % in NFL history and he landed an interview (Could just be to satisfy the Rooney rule, but It's the Bengals we're talking about here cheap is good to Mike Brown and no other team would ever consider Hue after he flamed out at two stops).

Edited by Chad

4 hours ago, GRHorn said:

This is mostly due to Andy Reid. One of the most respected coaches of the last 20 years loves the guy and has gone to him for help. His stamp of approval means everything to NFL types. 

Andy’s guy had a pretty good year, no?

Mahomes is the only player in history to throw for 5000 yards in a single season as a pro and in college.  Yes he had some very, very dynamic players around him, but so did Alex Smith last season.

Andy is respected as an innovator on offense.  Kliff is respected as a developer of QBs.  Why wouldn’t they compare notes?

You’re right though.  Andy’s stamp of approval has value...but what if Bellichick throws it out there that Kliff sucks?( Kliff worked under him)

5 hours ago, Boogaloo said:

What has this guy done to justify the attention? I really don't get it, he was fired at Tech ffs

We live in a world where a fired Texas Tech coach is interviewing for a head coaching job in the NFL and the coach of Iowa St. is turning down an opportunity to interview for an NFL head coaching job.

i'm wondering why people are equating his coaching career at tech with an NFL gig...it just doesn't seem like there's much correlation between college and the pros. i have no idea if he would be a successful NFL coach, but projecting his NFL coaching career based on a failed stint at Tech doesn't hold much water IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

O'Brien was 15-9 in 2 years at Penn State before he got hired by the Texans. He wasn't an overly successful college head coach before getting a NFL gig. I understand he had a lot of limitations, which I find similar to coaching at Tech.

Nick Saban was 48–16 at LSU and 15-17 in the NFL.

Pete Carroll was 27-21 his first time in the NFL, 97-19 in college, and 121-85 his second time in the NFL.

It's a crapshoot.  So much will depend on who he surrounds himself with + his QB.

12 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i'm wondering why people are equating his coaching career at tech with an NFL gig...it just doesn't seem like there's much correlation between college and the pros. i have no idea if he would be a successful NFL coach, but projecting his NFL coaching career based on a failed stint at Tech doesn't hold much water IMO.

I agree. I know they are both called football, but the difference between college and NFL is HUGE. It's strange how people that are fans of both forms don't see the difference. It's the same thing with players - just because someone is good at college ball doesn't equate to good at NFL, and vice versa.

21 minutes ago, slorch said:

Andy’s guy had a pretty good year, no?

Mahomes is the only player in history to throw for 5000 yards in a single season as a pro and in college.  Yes he had some very, very dynamic players around him, but so did Alex Smith last season.

Andy is respected as an innovator on offense.  Kliff is respected as a developer of QBs.  Why wouldn’t they compare notes?

You’re right though.  Andy’s stamp of approval has value...but what if Bellichick throws it out there that Kliff sucks?( Kliff worked under him)

I’m not questioning him getting an interview actually. If you can impress one of the top coaches to the level that Kliff evidently has, that will be noticed. 

If he had a good idea of who to pick for DC and then focused only on offense, he could be good. The talent level of his team will be more even with best teams than it was at Tech. Who knows?

My post re Kliff and the NFL in the "Kingsbury is out" thread below........

My take on that is the head coaching skills that are both so incredibly important in the college game and his Achilles heel, aren't present to any great degree in the NFL.  

Those being primarily interpersonal types of skills that are so critical in college in order to recruit, schmooz boosters, woo the local media,  kiss up to donors, be a just regular local community guy around town, etc. aren't that vital to success in the NFL. The guy was an extreme introvert, so much more so than most realize.

He's clearly a great offensive mind and easily owns the technical skills needed to be a successful head coach in the NFL IMO.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

There’s a new era coming in the NFL...offense wins championships.  As a purist, I don’t like it, but it’s coming.  

The NFL is notorious for being a copycat league too.  Who’s hot?  KC/LA.  Mostly the offense responsible for those team’s success.  

Aaron Donald is OK...  I mean, it's not like he's a leading defensive MVP candidate or anything.

and your Bears' resurgence occurred all because of the offense right? 

Edited by slorch

12 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

My post re Kliff and the NFL in the "Kingsbury is out" thread below........

My take on that is the head coaching skills that are both so incredibly important in the college game and his Achilles heel, aren't present to any great degree in the NFL.  

Those being primarily interpersonal types of skills that are so critical in college in order to recruit, schmooz boosters, woo the local media,  kiss up to donors, be a just regular local community guy around town, etc. aren't that vital to success in the NFL. The guy was an extreme introvert, so much more so than most realize.

He's clearly a great offensive mind and easily owns the technical skills needed to be a successful head coach in the NFL IMO.

I think you still have to be a good leader to be a successful coach in the NFL.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Aaron Donald is OK...  I mean, it's not like he's a leading defensive MVP candidate or anything.

and your Bears' resurgence occurred all because of the offense right? 

Not saying there’s not good D in the nfl.  I just see offense ruling the day.  We will see in the playoffs the next few years. 

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Not saying there’s not good D in the nfl.  I just see offense ruling the day.  We will see in the playoffs the next few years. 

The big changes at the margin are certainly occurring on the offensive side of the ball.  That makes spread passing coaches the flavor of the month as long as this trend lasts.

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

It's simply because offenses have evolved much quicker than defenses.

One thing seems pretty clear though (statistically speaking), you can have the best offense in the country by miles and won't win it all without a good defense the majority of the time. 

I could see hiring kliff as an OC in the NFL but head coach? He has failed as a head coach in college. That qualifies you as head coaching material in the NFL?

You would think you would need to prove yourself first at some level in the NFL before taking over the damn franchise.

3 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

It's simply because offenses have evolved much quicker than defenses.

One thing seems pretty clear though (statistically speaking), you can have the best offense in the country by miles and won't win it all without a good defense the majority of the time. 

So maybe Riley to NFL instead?

1 minute ago, Mileslong said:

I could see hiring kliff as an OC in the NFL but head coach? He has failed as a head coach in college. That qualifies you as head coaching material in the NFL?

You would think you would need to prove yourself first at some level in the NFL before taking over the damn franchise.

Discussed above.

Different animals.

You don't have to give donors handjobs, meet and greet fans as often, sit in a recruit's living room or at their HS game on a Friday night, etc. as an NFL head coach.  You spend all your time coaching/watching film/making gameplans basically.  Kliff wouldn't have to give up hours every week being on the road recruiting, or doing a coach's show, or appearing at bullshit events to blow a rich oilman to fund his new practice field.

Discussed above.
Different animals.
You don't have to give donors handjobs, meet and greet fans as often, sit in a recruit's living room or at their HS game on a Friday night, etc. as an NFL head coach.  You spend all your time coaching/watching film/making gameplans basically.  Kliff wouldn't have to give up hours every week being on the road recruiting, or doing a coach's show, or appearing at bullshit events to blow a rich oilman to fund his new practice field.

You make it sound like it’s an easier job in the NFL, it’s harder, it has a different set of problems.

You have to spend just as many hours coaching an NFL team as you do in college. No recruiting but you still have to do plenty of PR crap and pressers. You spend tons of time with player personnel people preparing for the draft.

You also have to play with the guys your GM gives you. Which may or may not fit your system well. You have to deal with having little depth due to salary cap. You deal with pro players attitudes many which make more in salary than you do.
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Discussed above.

Different animals.

Jerry Jones/Jason Garrett.

16 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

They are different animals as evidenced by all the coaches that have done both, but it's still a head scratcher.  Kliff is still green as far as experience at the college level and has zero NFL experience.

Not exactly accurate to suggest KK has "zero" NFL experience.  Though his playing career was less than awe inspiring, he had a five year pro career with 3 in the NFL, one in NFL Europe, and a year in the CFL.

As a Tech fan, I've been saying here for over a year, that his next stop upon being canned would be in the NFL.  It was just generally considered common knowledge.  He has extensive pro contacts and summer pick his brain sessions with with a variety of NFL coaches who sought them  out were very common.  Tight with Belichick, Brady and the Pats front office as they're the ones who drafted him but numerous others as well.

The numbers of  QBs and WRs alone, that he's put in the NFL is a testament to his understanding about what it takes in that aspect of the game on the pro level.

Edited by pigmeat markham