Low Carbs Meals

Lobwedgephil

Carnitas Stir-Fry. made this up on the fly and my family destroyed it. No pics. 

• 1 lbs pack of HEB pre-cooked carnitas
  • 1 sweet potato, finely diced
  • 2 calabaza squash, diced
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 1 bell pepper, diced
  • 2 serranos, diced
  • 1 cup of grape tomatoes
  • 2 cloves of garlic minced
  • cilantro

In a skillet, add a bit of oil and the carnitas. Add whatever seasoning you like since they don't have much flavor out of the package.  I just use fajita seasoning. Get them nice and crispy.  Throw in everything else except the garlic and cilantro. Saute until you get the vegetables to your liking.  Adjust seasoning to taste.   Add garlic and continue sauteing for a minute. Done.  Sprinkle with fresh cilantro.  A hot tomatillo salsa goes well with it. You could also melt some cheese on top.  

Made this last night, wife and I both scarfed it down:

Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole

~1/2 the meat from a rotisserie chicken.

1 10 oz bag of cauliflower florets, 1 10 oz bag of broccoli florets.

4 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled.

1/2 cup ranch dressing.

2 cups Mexican blend cheese.

Steam florets in a pot until softened, maybe 5-10 minutes. Pour into large mixing bowl, along with all other ingredients. Season with garlic powder, onion powder, pepper and paprika to taste. Mix together well and then pour into a greased casserole dish. Add another top layer of cheese if desired. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Picked out a big ass ribeye in the butcher case and had them thin slice it for me. Shitake shrooms, onion, bell pepper, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, provolone. Served the cheesesteak on a communist lettuce wrap. Toasted up some baguette for the kids. Slammed and went hard. Crunch of the romaine was actually pleasant. Wife said she didn't even miss having it in a bun. I told her that was total fucking bullshit. 

646-F5308-A9-CC-4-BCF-91-A7-EC2-AC6137-C

E15-DD9-A2-4-CDA-40-D8-A858-3783-A3-B3-F

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 6

My dudes. I've been keto for just over a month now, and while I hate it, I also love it. I've read stories of people who have completely lost their cravings for carbs. I guess I'm not one of them. Every time I eat a burger without a bun, I crave that crunch and taste of a crispy french fry alongside it. But I haven't given in. The restrictions keto has make cheating not an option. It's the only diet I've ever stuck with this long.

But I've lost 15 pounds so far (based on my brief plateau, about 10 real weight and 5 water weight), and I feel great. More energy, fewer stomach issues, and just an overall increase in well-being.

It's especially hard with all the travel I do, but it's also meant that I'm eating less, and substituting carbs for healthier options like steamed veggies or a salad. All good, healthy tradeoffs regardless of how one feels specifically about keto as a diet. 

Kudos to all of y'all trying to get healthier! Keep it up.

• Like 2

Homemade Starbucks “sous vide” egg bites.  Eggs, bacon, cheese. Just need an oven, and no fancy sous vide tools.

ive been on keto for a couple weeks now, and crazy how you can exist on such few carbs. I’ve tried low carb in the past but no where to this extreme.  However I never added this much fat to my diet as that seemed unhealthy. I also see keto as naturally flowing into intermittent fasting as I’m not very hungry at times.

great thread. Since I’m trying to be strict, I find myself avoiding restaurants since I have no idea of the actual ingredients. I have to cook or prepare more meals now.  

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Homemade Starbucks “sous vide” egg bites.  Eggs, bacon, cheese. Just need an oven, and no fancy sous vide tools.

ive been on keto for a couple weeks now, and crazy how you can exist on such few carbs. I’ve tried low carb in the past but no where to this extreme.  However I never added this much fat to my diet as that seemed unhealthy. I also see keto as naturally flowing into intermittent fasting as I’m not very hungry at times.

great thread. Since I’m trying to be strict, I find myself avoiding restaurants since I have no idea of the actual ingredients. I have to cook or prepare more meals now.  

I’m not sure about the ingredient list, but costco has some egg “cup” options. One is egg and veggies, one is egg and meat but the meat one might have potatoes in it. But worth a closer look if you’ve got a costco membership. 

14 hours ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

It's especially hard with all the travel I do, but it's also meant that I'm eating less, and substituting carbs for healthier options like steamed veggies or a salad. All good, healthy tradeoffs regardless of how one feels specifically about keto as a diet. 

you should start dipping if you don’t already.  a lip full of snuff keeps you from eating when you don’t need to. 

This keto business is no joke.  I'm doing it to lower my overall body fat and noticing a difference in less than a month.  One thing bothering me was lack of sweets. I'd have massive urges for something sweet and eventually found this dessert.  It's decadent as hell, just need a couple bites now and then to ease the urge.  First batch lasted me over a week.  Instructions seem like a pain in the ass but it was pretty easy.  Ignore the dumb fucking name.

Sugar Free Sex In A Pan
Prep Time
50 mins
Cook Time
30 mins
Chill Time
4 hrs
Total Time
1 hr 20 mins

Sex in a pan - yes that really is the name of this luscious and creamy dessert recipe! And this version is keto and sugar-free, so it's a delicious way to indulge. Layers of cheesecake and creamy chocolate pudding, with a chocolate cookie crust.

Course: Dessert 
Cuisine: American 
Keyword: chocolate lasagna, sex in a pan 
Servings: 16 servings
Calories: 303 kcal
Ingredients
Chocolate Crust:
Cheesecake Layer:
Chocolate Pudding Layer:
Whipped Cream Topping:
Instructions
Crust:
  1. Preheat the oven to 325F and grease a 9x9 inch baking pan. 

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, cocoa powder, sweetener and salt. Add the melted butter and water and stir until the mixture begins to clump together.

3. Press the mixture firmly and evenly into the bottom of the pan and bake about 15 minutes, or until just firm to the touch. Remove and let cool. 

Cream Cheese Layer:
  1. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and sweetener together until smooth. Beat in the vanilla.. 

2. Add the cream and beat until smooth, then spread over the cooled crust and refrigerate while preparing the chocolate layer. 

Chocolate Pudding Layer:
  1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine almond milk, whipping cream and sweetener. Bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sweetener.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks until smooth. Slowly whisk about 1/2 cup of the hot cream mixture into the yolks to temper. Then slowly whisk tempered yolks back into saucepan.

3. Reduce heat to medium low and sprinkle surface with the xanthan gum, whisking vigorously to combine. Whisk in the cocoa powder and cook until thickened, about 3 or 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add the butter pieces and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.

4. Let cool 15 minutes and then spread over cheesecake layer. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Whipped Cream Topping:
  1. Beat the cream with sweetener and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form. Spread over the chocolate pudding layer. Dust with cocoa powder (this works best through a fine sieve). Use a vegetable peeler or cheese slicer to shave chocolate over top.

2. Chill another hour to help set completely.

Nutrition Facts
Sugar Free Sex In A Pan

Amount Per Serving (1 serving = 1/16th of the recipe)
Calories 303Calories from Fat 255

% Daily Value*
Fat 28.3g44%
Carbohydrates 6.3g2%
Fiber 2.6g10%
Protein 5g10%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

On 1/17/2020 at 7:56 PM, Anastasis said:

Picked out a big ass ribeye in the butcher case and had them thin slice it for me. Shitake shrooms, onion, bell pepper, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, provolone. Served the cheesesteak on a communist lettuce wrap. Toasted up some baguette for the kids. Slammed and went hard. Crunch of the romaine was actually pleasant. Wife said she didn't even miss having it in a bun. I told her that was total fucking bullshit. 

646-F5308-A9-CC-4-BCF-91-A7-EC2-AC6137-C

E15-DD9-A2-4-CDA-40-D8-A858-3783-A3-B3-F

Made this last night with some thin-sliced brisket I bought from the Asian market. Super easy and turned out great. Didn't even bother with the lettuce. Just ate off the plate with a side of cauliflower tots. Definitely going into the weeknight rotation. 

Edited by Storm the Field

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Made this last night with some thin-sliced brisket I bought from the Asian market. Super easy and turned out great. Didn't even bother with the lettuce. Just ate off the plate with a side of cauliflower tots. Definitely going into the weeknight rotation. 

Can confirm this is good. I like to use jalapeno instead of bell peppers and put it on a low-carb tortilla; I use tumaro's which have 3 net carbs per.

Will also make it with ground beef if I don't have any shaved steak on hand.

Back in the day, quesadillas were regularly used as a vehicle for leftovers (chicken, pork, brisket, shrimp, etc.).  Now I fried cauliflower rice is my go to.  A couple bags of cauliflower rice with vegs from the frozen foods section, garlic, ginger, egg, fake soy sauce and some random leftover protein.  Last night - beef ribs.

Campechana is my go to during the week.

ingredients- Pick up salsa from one of the salsa places you love, tomato puree, clamato juice, lump crab, shrimp, avocado, chicharonnes.

Combine pint of salsa, 12-16 oz of tomato puree, 1/4 to 1/2 cup clamato. stir.

stir in lump crab and cold shrimps(cut into 3rds).

Chill for 30 mins.

Add/stir in half chopped avocado per bowl.

scoop up with chichronnes.

put the rest in the fridge and makes for great snacking. this makes it through about 2.5/3days.

Cheers.

Perfect for this time of year:

Creamy Shrimp "Tortilla Soup"

Dice up 1 medium onion, 1 large bell pepper, and 2 celery ribs. Throw in soup pot with 2 tbsp of olive oil and saute until softened. Season with ample amounts of fajita seasoning. 

Once veggies are softened, add in a can of Fire Roasted Rotel and 1 whole jalapeno pepper, stir together and let simmer for 5-10 minutes. Then add in a 48 oz carton of Chicken Broth, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes.

Once soup is done cooking, turn off burner, remove the jalapeno, and throw in 1 lb of peeled shrimp and let sit for ~5 minutes until shrimp are cooked through. Add in a 1/2 cup or so of half and half to give it some richness.

Pour in a bowl with some thin sliced avocado, mexican cheese, sour cream as desired. Top with some fresh cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.

Makes enough for 4 adults.

Edited by Storm the Field

• 4 weeks later...

It's finally time for me to try this keto diet. I'm tired of taking meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. I'm under no assumptions that dropping weight is going to entirely get me off the meds -- high BP runs in my family and I've got two teenage kids -- but it's high time to shed some pounds.

I get the general idea of ketogenic. But if I'm going to do this, I want to make sure I'm not fucking up anywhere. I did the South Beach Diet nearly 10 years ago and stuck to it religiously and had great results. I found a few books on Amazon that deal with keto but there's almost too many to choose from -- is there a "best" resource. Is keto as restrictive at the very beginning -- IIRC on South Beach, the first two weeks was brutally strict and then it eased a little bit for the next few weeks and then you got into maintaining with the occasional "cheat" days.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1623158087?pf_rd_r=99DTJRP20A78VKS4XR6W&pf_rd_p=ab873d20-a0ca-439b-ac45-cd78f07a84d8

It's finally time for me to try this keto diet. I'm tired of taking meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. I'm under no assumptions that dropping weight is going to entirely get me off the meds -- high BP runs in my family and I've got two teenage kids -- but it's high time to shed some pounds.
I get the general idea of ketogenic. But if I'm going to do this, I want to make sure I'm not fucking up anywhere. I did the South Beach Diet nearly 10 years ago and stuck to it religiously and had great results. I found a few books on Amazon that deal with keto but there's almost too many to choose from -- is there a "best" resource. Is keto as restrictive at the very beginning -- IIRC on South Beach, the first two weeks was brutally strict and then it eased a little bit for the next few weeks and then you got into maintaining with the occasional "cheat" days.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1623158087?pf_rd_r=99DTJRP20A78VKS4XR6W&pf_rd_p=ab873d20-a0ca-439b-ac45-cd78f07a84d8

Honestly, the reddit keto threads have helped me the most. That and ruled.me for recipes.
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 10:13 AM, riloh05 said:

Campechana is my go to during the week.

ingredients- Pick up salsa from one of the salsa places you love, tomato puree, clamato juice, lump crab, shrimp, avocado, chicharonnes.

Combine pint of salsa, 12-16 oz of tomato puree, 1/4 to 1/2 cup clamato. stir.

stir in lump crab and cold shrimps(cut into 3rds).

Chill for 30 mins.

Add/stir in half chopped avocado per bowl.

scoop up with chichronnes.

put the rest in the fridge and makes for great snacking. this makes it through about 2.5/3days.

Cheers.

Making tonight but not using Clamato as it has carbs...  Will use a clam juice (1T) instead...

On 2/28/2020 at 2:18 PM, C-Man said:

If you stay under 20 net carbs daily, you're doing keto.

Net carbs = Total Carbs - Fiber - Sugar Alcohol

I find it easiest by sticking with real foods (Meats with Veggies) rather than trying to make keto versions (Cheese and psyllium husk pizza crusts) of high carb food. Also, when you start, don't worry about calories, just track your net carbs. Once you get in the swing, couple of weeks to a month, then start dialing down the amount of food you eat. A lot of times your hunger will have subsided and done this for you already.

Agree that the reddit sub r/keto is a good source for starters. I think they get overly dogmatic, but not in a counter productive way.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Masshole Horn said:

If you stay under 20 net carbs daily, you're doing keto.

Net carbs = Total Carbs - Fiber - Sugar Alcohol

I find it easiest by sticking with real foods (Meats with Veggies) rather than trying to make keto versions (Cheese and psyllium husk pizza crusts) of high carb food. Also, when you start, don't worry about calories, just track your net carbs. Once you get in the swing, couple of weeks to a month, then start dialing down the amount of food you eat. A lot of times your hunger will have subsided and done this for you already.

Agree that the reddit sub r/keto is a good source for starters. I think they get overly dogmatic, but not in a counter productive way.

Gotcha. Yeah, I don't think I need to go in for keto-versions of high-carb foods like you say. I'll just dump it altogether. I would hope I could that for a month or two to get a good base and see some early returns on the dietary change. Want to get more of a feel for what foods are "keto-healthy" and where I could trip up thinking I was eating approved foods.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Gotcha. Yeah, I don't think I need to go in for keto-versions of high-carb foods like you say. I'll just dump it altogether. I would hope I could that for a month or two to get a good base and see some early returns on the dietary change. Want to get more of a feel for what foods are "keto-healthy" and where I could trip up thinking I was eating approved foods.

Good plan.  Make sure to drink plenty of water and keep some broth on hand.  I didn't think "keto flu" was real and I paid for it.  Drink a cup of chicken broth if you start feeling a bit woozy.  It makes a great snack, too.

Been doing keto for quite a while and had good early success, but  have been on a plateau for a while. I'm very faithful to my carb count, but have been lax on my calorie count. I feel great with less sugars in my body but would still like to drop more pounds. A week ago I added 16:8 intermittent fasting. I only eat between 11 and 7, and still doing keto. I've always been a breakfast eater,  and usually as soon as I wake up, so the mornings were hell. But, I lost 3.5 pounds this week. I know that's not going to happen every week, but hopefully it will kick start more shedding of pounds. 

43 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Still haven't taken the plunge just yet. One thing I really enjoy is a latte in the morning with 2% milk. I sweeten with Stevia. What will be the best substitute there?

Flat white with heavy cream.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

Still haven't taken the plunge just yet. One thing I really enjoy is a latte in the morning with 2% milk. I sweeten with Stevia. What will be the best substitute there?

I have been using  a nespresso machine to make cappuccinos in the morning and use half and half (only has 1-2 carbs).  heavy whipping cream does not work that well in the milk frother and gets too buttery imo.  I do use heavy cream in regular coffee, though.  2% and even whole milk have a ton of carbs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

I have been using  a nespresso machine to make cappuccinos in the morning and use half and half (only has 1-2 carbs).  heavy whipping cream does not work that well in the milk frother and gets too buttery imo.  I do use heavy cream in regular coffee, though.  2% and even whole milk have a ton of carbs.

Perfect. The Nespresso with the Aerocino milk frother is the same setup we have. Half and half at the house, flat whites at the coffee shops. Boom!

I realize many people form on Soy, but has anyone been eating these badboys from Costco?

Kibun-Foods-Healthy-Noodle-Costco-2-640x

Ingredient list is hardly the worst I've ever seen, only 2 net carbs per package (5g, 4 fiber per serving), and only 50 calories per package too. It's way, way better than Shirataki noodles or any other sub I've tried, although it's consistency is much more pad thai noodle versus Spaghetti. Seems too good to be true from a caloric or carb perspective, depending where you are on the diet spectrum. Feels like I'm missing something obvious here, is it just the soy?

I've been making this pan seared salmon with a creamy spinach sauce that rocks.  I don't have the nutritional breakdown, but the ingredients would make it relatively low carb.
Garlic-Butter-Creamed-Spinach-Salmon-5-700x1050.jpg

Made this tonight and I can confirm it both slams and goes hard. I used heavy cream in lieu of coconut milk. (Mine isn’t quite as pretty as the blog post but tasted terrific.)

da74d5a040b0ef0d9d0eb96aa64aff5f.jpg
  • Like 3

Made this tonight and I can confirm it both slams and goes hard. I used heavy cream in lieu of coconut milk. (Mine isn’t quite as pretty as the blog post but tasted terrific.)

I made it yesterday. Heavy cream as well. Coconut milk is for hippies, vegans, and people stranded on an island.
  • Like 1

I passed this recipe on as soon as I saw it and ended up having that last night, too. Also confirm it both slams and goes hard. Super rich dish.

3128256293a203403bcba77d46e8a07d.jpg38d51c02aabccfbfb84c8a01baec2511.jpgef3d9d4ee7e3ea6630501f2e03bf29e8.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bigcigar said:

I passed this recipe on as soon as I saw it and ended up having that last night, too. Also confirm it both slams and goes hard. Super rich dish.

3128256293a203403bcba77d46e8a07d.jpg38d51c02aabccfbfb84c8a01baec2511.jpgef3d9d4ee7e3ea6630501f2e03bf29e8.jpg

I went heavy with the red pepper flakes so it had some pop and the lemon juice really helps balance the richness IMO. Looks like you used the coconut milk. (It also looks like you have the exact same marble countertops that I do!)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bborange said:

Bought some of these at Costco last night.   Tasted great as I made 2 wraps earlier today.  

https://www.crepini.com/products-4

spacer.png

I've done those, but like the Sandwich cauliflower thins from Outer Isle. You can find them Whole Foods or on their website https://www.outeraislegourmet.com/products/cauliflower-sandwich-thins?gclid=Cj0KCQiAwP3yBRCkARIsAABGiPoRwu7cDxu_eAxnRbvDc85YUVxT3Mbn5owYDdKvhluI1qofi36FWi0aAnhFEALw_wcB or Amazon delivers. They make a great substitute for flour tortillas. 

On 2/28/2020 at 1:18 PM, C-Man said:

This video really kickstarted my keto experience. I started in November and have lost 30 lbs. so far. Intermittent fasting seems like it will be hard, but once you are in Ketosis it becomes much easier. Get the urine strips so you will know when you are in ketosis. Knowing I was in ketosis helped motivate me to stay with the diet.