Low Carbs Meals

Lobwedgephil

Since it is the new year and people usually try new diets to start the year, I figured a thread on low carb meals would be appropriate. 

I will post a bunch of take-out, fast food options for when you are at work and on the go. Hoping to get more home cooked options for dinner from anyone that has any to share. 

One of my go to's when hungry is Jersey Mikes Sub in a tub. 695 calories, 11g net carbs, 55g fat, and 35g protein.

Low-Carb-Jersey-Mikes-Sub-in-a-Tub-No-17

When in a hurry, the Cold Cut Combo Salad from Subway isn't a bad option.  Macros: 615 calories, 5g net carbs, and 20g protein

Jimmy Johns Italian Club as an unhitch. Macros: 589 calories, 4g net carbs, and 29g protein

Edited by Lobwedgephil
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Low Carb Gumbo:

Make your roux with xanthan gum instead of flour and greatly reduce the amount of onion you would normally use. Below is an off the top of my head recipe, but really any gumbo recipe will work with this roux.

4 T Xanthan Gum

1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil

1/2 Onion - Diced

1 Green Bell Pepper - Diced

4 Stalks Celery - Diced

4 cloves garlic - minced

1 Lb Andouille Sausage - Sliced 1/2" thick

4-6 Chicken Thighs

2 Qts Chicken Broth

Worcestershire Sauce

Tabasco Sauce

Salt

Pepper

Cayenne

Other Spices you like in your Gumbo.

1. Make Roux with Xanthan Gum and Oil in a small pot

2. In a large dutch oven, Brown Sausage

3. Add chicken thighs cook til done, add a little oil if necessary

4. Remove and dice chicken

5. Add veggies and chicken

6. When veggies are softening, add roux, broth, Worcestershire, Tabasco, and spices.

7. Bring to a boil, simmer for a few minutes

8. Serve without rice

*change out the regular rice for Cauliflower Rice to keep low carb
Instant Pot Venison Tips in Mushroom Gravy (Gluten Free)

Author: Lorie at Mississippi Kitchen
Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil, plus more for coating pot
  • 2½ pounds venison, cut into about 1 to 1½ inch cubes/pieces
  • 1 medium onion, chopped,
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely minced or chopped
  • 16 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
  • 2¼ cups beef broth or stock
  • ¼ cup red wine (substitute with more broth if desired)
  • 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • Kosher salt and coarse black pepper to taste
  • Cooked brown or white rice

Instructions
  1. Hit the Sauté function on the Instant Pot and add 2 tablespoons of oil. Cook the venison in batches until brown and seared on outside (will not be done on inside). Transfer to a plate and add more oil, if necessary for remaining batches. (You will get a better sear if you don’t overcrowd the pot.)
  2. When venison is done, add about ½ cup of the beef broth and deglaze the bottom of the pot by using a flat whisk to scrape up all of the brown bits. Add the venison into the pot along with the onion, garlic, mushrooms, wine, and Worcestershire sauce. Add remaining broth.
  3. Place cover on securely, making sure vent is turned to “Seal”, then press the manual function and set time to 35 minutes. Use natural release.
  4. When the venison is done and after the pressure is released, remove the lid and press the sauté function again to bring to a boil. Stir together the corn starch and about 4 tablespoons of water until smooth in a measuring cup, then whisk this into the pot, stirring until mixed and thickened. Turn off sauté function. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Serve the venison over rice.

Low Carb Gumbo:
Make your roux with xanthan gum instead of flour and greatly reduce the amount of onion you would normally use. Below is an off the top of my head recipe, but really any gumbo recipe will work with this roux.
4 T Xanthan Gum

Man that’s a lot of xanthan. I find that I can thicken a reduction well with half a teaspoon in some cases. When I have used more like a tablespoon, the texture became thick and viscous which was not the most appetizing. Does the oil change the consistency to something less snotty?

2 hours ago, Austinvines said:

Man that’s a lot of xanthan. I find that I can thicken a reduction well with half a teaspoon in some cases. When I have used more like a tablespoon, the texture became thick and viscous which was not the most appetizing. Does the oil change the consistency to something less snotty?

I don't use it for thickening in this case, mostly for color and it gives the same nutty flavor when darkened.  As to the consistency, like flour, it loses a lot of it's thickening power when your brown it to chocolate color. It also loses the snottiness for sure.  I hate that snotty consistency.

Been making this for BBQ sauce

½ cup reduced sugar ketchup
1 tablespoon  Louisiana Hot Sauce
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon cumin

• Like 4

Not a meal per se, but so far these are the only low-carb tortillas I've tried that don't have the texture and flavor of cardboard:

51HGUzwD2kL_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=153863907

I've found they are best if you warm them in a cast-iron skillet.

Opens up a lot of meal options you might have previously written off. With the right ingredients you can still eat fajitas, fish/shrimp tacos, and breakfast tacos without running afoul of a low-carb diet.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RMac5 said:

For a great snack I eat guacamole with pork rinds. 

9 hours ago, futureman said:

pork rinds and queso is better. 

este. sometime I'll take a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, run it through a food processor and mix it with a block of cream cheese that's softened up. Dip the pork rinds or the chicharrones from HEB. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 4

My wife and I have been making this quite a bit lately. Super easy and very tasty. I wasn't able to find furikake at a store in town. But Amazon has several options. Just make sure you don't get one with added sugar.

tumblr_inline_mjw6hn95Ib1qz4rgp.jpg

You just melt some butter in a cast iron, toss the asparagus in it, take it off the heat, crack a couple of eggs, and then place it under the broiler until the eggs are cooked to your liking. Finish the dish by sprinkling the furikake over everything. 

• Like 2

My go-to late last year were just quick casseroles I could throw together without measuring too much.

I'd get the Tyson pulled chicken from the frozen section. It's about a 20oz bag.  Mix up cream cheese (1 or 2 packages depending on dish size), a bunch of shredded sharp cheddar, mayo, salt, pepper, and sometimes garlic powder.  Mix in the chicken (I usually defrosted it first).  I would typically add a 2nd meat (ham, sliced smoked sausage, bacon, etc).

Bake that sucker up.  Serve with some hot sauce.  Good protein. Lots of fat. Almost no carbs. Filling.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Longhorn Al said:

My go-to late last year were just quick casseroles I could throw together without measuring too much.

I'd get the Tyson pulled chicken from the frozen section. It's about a 20oz bag.  Mix up cream cheese (1 or 2 packages depending on dish size), a bunch of shredded sharp cheddar, mayo, salt, pepper, and sometimes garlic powder.  Mix in the chicken (I usually defrosted it first).  I would typically add a 2nd meat (ham, sliced smoked sausage, bacon, etc).

Bake that sucker up.  Serve with some hot sauce.  Good protein. Lots of fat. Almost no carbs. Filling.

This came from a chicken cordon bleu casserole that I didn't really like too much. Swiss is just not sharp enough for my tastes.

1/4 cup mayo

1/4 cup heavy cream

8 oz cream cheese

1/4 cup parmesan cheese

1/2 tsp garlic powder

Dash of black pepper

8 oz swiss cheese

16 oz ham

20 oz chicken

1/2 cup chicken bone broth

1/2 cup crushed pork rinds (this was the casserole topper)

Another one my roommate and I both loved was a pork sausage, egg & cheese casserole.

24 oz pork sausage

4 cups sharp cheddar

12 lg eggs

1 cup heavy cream

salt

pepper

paprika

jalapenos

Fry up pork with butter. Whisk eggs, cream, spices and cheese together.  Add pork and japs to eggs.  Bake 45-55 minutes @ 350*.

I served it with sour cream and hot sauce.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Not a meal per se, but so far these are the only low-carb tortillas I've tried that don't have the texture and flavor of cardboard:

51HGUzwD2kL_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=153863907

I've found they are best if you warm them in a cast-iron skillet.

Opens up a lot of meal options you might have previously written off. With the right ingredients you can still eat fajitas, fish/shrimp tacos, and breakfast tacos without running afoul of a low-carb diet.

I actually like the HEB low carb tortillas best of the ones I've tried.

The other night I made a grilled ham and cheese with low carb torts grilled in a little butter. Beautiful crispy golden brown, came out great.

I need to get some of the low carb tortillas to make quesadillas with. I read somewhere that a typical or average flour tortilla is the equivalent of four slices of bread. No wonder they are so bad for you. Hell I used to eat a dozen tortillas with a big bowl of queso.

If you’re really trying to do low carb as a weight loss than I’d recommend you stay away from substitutes that are like carbs e.g. low carb breads, deserts with artificial sweeteners, diet sodas, etc. The occasional almond flour biscuit is one thing but you should be focusing on changing your eating habits not just substituting fake carbs for real carbs. 

Hard boiled eggs and plain Greek yogurt are a good breakfast for those that like to eat on the go or at work. Cooking meat and green veggies dinners and using leftovers for lunch are the way to go imo. Pan sauces from butter or cream can living up anything. Cobb salads are a good lunch option as well. Or burgers or sandwiches wrapped in lettuce.

Almonds and cheese are good snacks. The right beef jersey is good too, but be careful most these days are not low carb.

Here are two recipes I like to make. The soup in perticulor is a go to, i leave the carrots out most times. Wife doesn’t like them and it’s unnecessary carbs at that point.

https://myfoodstory.com/creamy-cauliflower-chowder-gluten-free-recipe/

https://therecipecritic.com/creamy-tuscan-garlic-chicken/

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Covri said:

Hard boiled eggs and plain Greek yogurt are a good breakfast for those that like to eat on the go or at work. 

Used to bring hard boiled eggs for lunch quite often. One day, had some guacamole and wondered "guacamole on eggs?"

Game changer for me. Slice eggs in half lengthwise, slap a dollop of the green stuff on top. Salt, pepper if needed. Delicious.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

My go to ff low carb is chik Fila southwest salad. All good greens ( no iceberg lettuce) grilled corn, black beans and pepitas. Lime avacoda dressing. Very good for fast food. 

Sounds tasty but I’m not sure that is considered low carb but I could be wrong. It probably has 40 to 50 grams of carbs nevertheless it’s definitely low cal and probably satisfying for lunch. 

6 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Sounds tasty but I’m not sure that is considered low carb but I could be wrong. It probably has 40 to 50 grams of carbs nevertheless it’s definitely low cal and probably satisfying for lunch. 

Most of the carbs are “complex” vs “simple”. Simple is what spikes blood sugar which is the biggest issue in eating carbs. 

15 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

Most of the carbs are “complex” vs “simple”. Simple is what spikes blood sugar which is the biggest issue in eating carbs. 

Sure, i dont disagree that there are good and bad carbs but most of the dishes that are going to be posted in this thread have very little net carbs. Most people who are following a low carb diet are cutting out carbs whether its a baked sweet potato or taco bell bean burrito. Any single dish that has 40 or 50 carbs would not be considered "low" carb even though it may be quite nutritious but I could be wrong on the salad's nutrionals. It may only have 10 net carbs or so. 

29 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:
2 hours ago, Shaddie said:
My go to ff low carb is chik Fila southwest salad. All good greens ( no iceberg lettuce) grilled corn, black beans and pepitas. Lime avacoda dressing. Very good for fast food. 

FF?

Fast food

My wife and I have been making this quite a bit lately. Super easy and very tasty. I wasn't able to find furikake at a store in town. But Amazon has several options. Just make sure you don't get one with added sugar.

tumblr_inline_mjw6hn95Ib1qz4rgp.jpg

You just melt some butter in a cast iron, toss the asparagus in it, take it off the heat, crack a couple of eggs, and then place it under the broiler until the eggs are cooked to your liking. Finish the dish by sprinkling the furikake over everything. 

I do this all the time. It’s delicious.

Any Asian grocery will have multiple varieties of Furikake, but I like the Eden Shake Furikake they have on amazon because there’s no MSG.

On 1/3/2019 at 12:50 PM, Lobwedgephil said:

Since it is the new year and people usually try new diets to start the year, I figured a thread on low carb meals would be appropriate. 

I will post a bunch of take-out, fast food options for when you are at work and on the go. Hoping to get more home cooked options for dinner from anyone that has any to share. 

One of my go to's when hungry is Jersey Mikes Sub in a tub. 695 calories, 11g net carbs, 55g fat, and 35g protein.

Low-Carb-Jersey-Mikes-Sub-in-a-Tub-No-17

When in a hurry, the Cold Cut Combo Salad from Subway isn't a bad option.  Macros: 615 calories, 5g net carbs, and 20g protein

Jimmy Johns Italian Club as an unhitch. Macros: 589 calories, 4g net carbs, and 29g protein

I did not know you could do that. Thanks

Arby's will do that with a cheese-steak as well.

Mine is a double quarter pounder with cheese, no bun, no ketchup, no onions, add mayonaise, gimme a knife and fork.  Or Whataburger, or Wendy's.

I also love the Jimmy Johns unwich.

As an aside, ordering keto customized food at fast food restaurants often short circuits teenage employees brains.

My main breakfast is the following:
• 1 cup drained spinach or broccoli.
• 1/2 avocado
• 2 slices ham
• 1 Cup mixed blueberries and strawberries
• 3 eggs

In a skillet I get the greens and avocados warmed up in one half, ham in the other.
After that 3 over medium eggs.

Ham on bottom, eggs in the middle, green/avocado mix next and top with green Tabasco.

10 hours ago, Shaddie said:

meh, not bad, but personally when I want low-carb fast food my go-to is taco bell mexican pizza and two baja gorditas.  it’s fucking delicious. 

Meat lovers pizza with extra cheese.  Scrape topiings off and consume.  Probably just about any toppings you want from most pizza joints are fine.
We just make a casserole with zucchini, spinach, tomato sauce, olives, peppers, onions, Italian sausage, pepperoni, garlic, whatever other toppings are handy and then bake it for 30-45 mins, then add a shitload of italian cheese and bake for an extra 5 minutes. Red pepper flakes and it's what we call "pizza fix" because that's what Jones it fixes.
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

the chik fila nor the taco bell are low carb meals. he is probably being sarcastic. the taco bell meal probably has 100 grams of carbs. you can make the power bowl at taco bell very low carb friendly though.

of course I’m being sarcastic.  I found it funny someone was pimping corn and black beans as a low-carb option.  

miss the old drinking man's diet thread

This. Favorite low carb meal is. Bellville Meat Market Venison jerky, a few slices of sharp cheddar, and a couple couple fingers of scotch.

When I did keto it was breakfast for dinner over and over again. 2 or 3 eggs. Cheese. Hot sauce. Pan sausage. Sub Bacon for bread. If your counting carbs add some caramelized onion and bell pepper as allowable.