Low Carbs Meals

Lobwedgephil

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:
3 hours ago, Landomatic said:
Meat lovers pizza with extra cheese.  Scrape topiings off and consume.  Probably just about any toppings you want from most pizza joints are fine.

We just make a casserole with zucchini, spinach, tomato sauce, olives, peppers, onions, Italian sausage, pepperoni, garlic, whatever other toppings are handy and then bake it for 30-45 mins, then add a shitload of italian cheese and bake for an extra 5 minutes. Red pepper flakes and it's what we call "pizza fix" because that's what Jones it fixes.

Yeah I did stuff like that too but it was more a pasta fix than a pizza fix.  When we were really into it and needing the variety, we got to where we made just about anything you can think of, just without the carbs.  Pretty much everything Mexican...hold the tortillas and rice and beans.  Pretty much everything Italian...hold the pasta and bread.  It was just a mindset thing that if something was great with carbs, it’s often almost as good without.  Sushi...lots of great riceless rolls. And of course, burgers and sammiches with no bread.

8 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

For the sake of dicussion, I looked up the nutrition for that CFA Spicy Southwest salad:

Calories 450

Total Fat 19 g  
Saturated fat 4 g  
Trans fat 0 g  
Cholesterol 75 mg  
Sodium 1,070 mg  
Total Carbohydrate 37 g  
Dietary fiber 10 g  
Sugar 8 g  
Protein 34 g  

37 is high...especially for just 1 meal.  Hold the beans and corn and that number is probably close to zero.

I had an all day webex today so I had Waitr bring me salad, steamed veggies, and a big blackened flounder filet from the Schooner in Nederland today. I think I'm gonna start maximizing my lunchtime productivity with Waitr from now on, saves me time.

Anybody got waitr go to keto meals I might be overlooking?

Low-carb "spaghetti" that I made for dinner last night:

Spiralized Zucchini Noodles (1 regular-sized zucchini is about 35 calories/4 net carbs)

Chicken Meatballs from Costco (Each meatball is about 40 calories/0 net carbs)

https://www.colemannatural.com/food/coleman-organic-basil-roasted-garlic-chicken-meatballs-club-pack-32-oz/69501/

Classico Vodka Sauce (90 calories/6 net carbs per 1/2 cup)

Throw all together in a pot and simmer for about 20 minutes. Usually serve with a side Caesar salad (no croutons).

36 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Low-carb "spaghetti" that I made for dinner last night:

Spiralized Zucchini Noodles (1 regular-sized zucchini is about 35 calories/4 net carbs)

Chicken Meatballs from Costco (Each meatball is about 40 calories/0 net carbs)

https://www.colemannatural.com/food/coleman-organic-basil-roasted-garlic-chicken-meatballs-club-pack-32-oz/69501/

Classico Vodka Sauce (90 calories/6 net carbs per 1/2 cup)

Throw all together in a pot and simmer for about 20 minutes. Usually serve with a side Caesar salad (no croutons).

My family will do the zoodles, but leave them raw and put the hot pasta sauce over it. Also, we like the Rao's Marinara Sauce mixed with venison. 

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

I've tried the zoodles and spaghetti squash and just can't get into it.  I just try to curtail my pasta consumption as much as possible, hard to do sometimes, limit myself to maybe once a month. 

Try doing the yellow squash. It is a softer texture and comes out round in the spiralizer like pasta. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

I've tried the zoodles and spaghetti squash and just can't get into it.  I just try to curtail my pasta consumption as much as possible, hard to do sometimes, limit myself to maybe once a month. 

It's all the water that gets me. I don't mind the texture or taste because I'm prepared to concede those things.... But the water. Ruins it for me.  (BT, I will try yellow squash in the future... Good call)

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:10 PM, futureman said:

do a brisket cleanse.  seriously. 

eat 1 lb of moist brisket at one sitting every other day.  basically fast for 47 hours, eat 1 hour, repeat.  

do it for 28 days.  you’ll never feel better and you’ll probably lose 20 lbs. 

you will also need a colon transplant.  

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

giphy.gif

It's funny because I'm pretty sure he's drinking a Heineken in the scene before this. 

You can also do "protein style" which is wrapped in lettuce. Hold the cheese and/or sauce and it's pretty fucking healthy. Ate a good amount of those in college when I was going low-carb. 
Edited by ztejas

ole low carb tortillas are actually very tasty (5 net carbs per).

best pizza we make at home is the chicken crust pizza.  can of shredded chicken, add some parm, an egg or two, S&P, mix well and put on a cookie sheet flattened out.  bake about 20 minutes at 400 then put on your toppings and cook another 10 minutes or so.  beats the shit out of the cauliflower crust pizza.  

• Like 1

Any of you low carb dudes tried the jicama tortillas they sell at HEB? I bought them for a vegan friend that came over for dinner one time and he really liked them, but he's a vegan so I don't believe a lick of what comes out of his mouth. But they might not be a totally terrible a good low-carb substitute? 

8 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Any of you low carb dudes tried the jicama tortillas they sell at HEB? I bought them for a vegan friend that came over for dinner one time and he really liked them, but he's a vegan so I don't believe a lick of what comes out of his mouth. But they might not be a totally terrible a good low-carb substitute? 

I've tried them.  I enjoyed them, but didn't expect a real tortilla experience.  They have a nice crunch.  I fill them with shredded chicken and cheese in more of an enchilada fashion.  

9 hours ago, chesthair said:

ole low carb tortillas are actually very tasty (5 net carbs per).

best pizza we make at home is the chicken crust pizza.  can of shredded chicken, add some parm, an egg or two, S&P, mix well and put on a cookie sheet flattened out.  bake about 20 minutes at 400 then put on your toppings and cook another 10 minutes or so.  beats the shit out of the cauliflower crust pizza.  

This is good.  I also like these crusts and use them for several things other than pizza.  They make good chips and the jalapeno version is legit.

https://www.califlourfoods.com/

Edited by tigol
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, tigol said:

This is good.  I also like these crusts and use them for several things other than pizza.  They make good chips and the jalapeno version is legit.

https://www.califlourfoods.com/

These are great. Also huge fan of choc zero bars for the sweet tooth, and Rebel Creamery Ice cream is great, just have to let it sit out a bit to soften. 

On 1/9/2019 at 3:13 PM, irishtexan said:

They are pretty decent stuffed with meat (fajitas, taco, carnitas, etc.), but I didn't care for them for breakfast tacos.  I have found the key is to warm them on a skillet on both side before serving - takes some of the moisture out and makes them more pliable.

49 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

They are pretty decent stuffed with meat (fajitas, taco, carnitas, etc.), but I didn't care for them for breakfast tacos.  I have found the key is to warm them on a skillet on both side before serving - takes some of the moisture out and makes them more pliable.

Do you even comal bro?  

One thing I've discovered with any diet is that hitting multiple taste sensations results in a satisfying meal in lieu of calories.

For example, I recently discovered, that an egg, half a small avocado, and a roma tomato for breakfast holds me over until noon with no hunger. It's barely 250 calories. At least for me, hitting the savory (egg), sweet (tomato) , and bit of carbs (avocado) cravings, is enough to hold me over. 

Joined up a LC group on FB recently, has anyone tried out this “mug bread” that some have posted about in the group?  They’re big on Keto and Fasting, which scares me since I’m T2 diabetic and can’t imagine starvig myself for that many hours.  Shit, had a stomach bug recently and was famished after only eating dry toast and crackers. 

I'll have to check this out when it opens soon. New Mexican taco place in the Heights will be serving"costras" which is where the tortilla is actually just crusted cheese that has been placed straight on the griddle.

I suppose that's one way to eat tacos without ingesting a bunch of carbs.

https://www.houstoniamag.com/articles/2019/1/17/la-vibra-heights-houston-costras-tacos

40 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

I'll have to check this out when it opens soon. New Mexican taco place in the Heights will be serving"costras" which is where the tortilla is actually just crusted cheese that has been placed straight on the griddle.

I suppose that's one way to eat tacos without ingesting a bunch of carbs.

https://www.houstoniamag.com/articles/2019/1/17/la-vibra-heights-houston-costras-tacos

Interesting. Will have to check it out as well. You can go to Velvet Taco and get lettuce wrapped tacos, haven't tried them yet though. 

Joined up a LC group on FB recently, has anyone tried out this “mug bread” that some have posted about in the group?  They’re big on Keto and Fasting, which scares me since I’m T2 diabetic and can’t imagine starvig myself for that many hours.  Shit, had a stomach bug recently and was famished after only eating dry toast and crackers. 
Keto diet is perfect for T2 diabetics. In fact many insulin dependent people have lost that requirement after going hardcore keto. Google Ted talks about the diabetic diet.

If you're not using g blood sugar in any form, then you don't get a glycemic load and thus no insulin response.

Of its mug bread with almond flour and baking powder, it's amazing. My wife makes it and puts a huge hunk of grass fed butter on top. Sometimes she mixes a little cinnamon and stevia in.

3 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Keto diet is perfect for T2 diabetics. In fact many insulin dependent people have lost that requirement after going hardcore keto. Google Ted talks about the diabetic diet.

If you're not using g blood sugar in any form, then you don't get a glycemic load and thus no insulin response.

Of its mug bread with almond flour and baking powder, it's amazing. My wife makes it and puts a huge hunk of grass fed butter on top. Sometimes she mixes a little cinnamon and stevia in.

This is very true, there are tons of documented cases of T2 diabetics no longer needing any meds or anything on Keto diet. 

Lunch today was a low-carb Poke bowl that I make maybe twice a month. Quite simple. This recipes makes about enough for 2 people. 

1 sushi-grade tuna steak cut into small cubes. (Should be a dark crimson color, not pink. Fresh, never frozen.)

Half a bag of cauliflower hash. I buy the pre-made mix at Kroger: https://www.jaycfoods.com/p/kroger-cauliflower-hash/0001111018242

1/2 a medium cucumber cut into thin slices.

1/2 of a large avocado cut into slices.

Couple spoonfuls of spicy Asian spread (mayonnaise, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sriracha mixed together)

Throw everything into a mixing bowl and stir together. Top with sesame seeds and furikake.

Edited by Storm the Field

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a21630747/meatball-zucchini-boats-recipe/Meatball Zucchini Boats, these are damn good and different. 

We use the no sugar added Ragu Simply Pasta Sauce, theres still carbs from the tomatoes  but used sparingly its ok.

From the recipe/directions we changed from adding the Ragu in with the meatballs to putting it inside the boat along with filling up the boat with mozzarella, that allowed better carb control. Then we placed the meatballs on top the sauce/mozzarella and baked. 

Edited by Okie Lite in Zapata

Google fat head pizza dough. It’s made from cheese and actually tastes pretty good and is super low carb. You can find some low carb pizza sauces or make your own or go non traditional with sauce. You bake the crust then you add sauce and whatever toppings and it tastes like pizza. That was something that helped when my wife was pregnant and wanting to order pizza every other night. That and the real good pizzas in the frozen section, crust is made from chicken and it’s solid as well. I like the supreme to help mask the chicken flavor a little more.

Had chicken cacciatore at a tiny Italian restaurant last night in Scottsdale. I'm on the Slow Carb Diet (look it up, I think it's great, and both myself and a friend have had a great experience with it, lasting well over a year now because we find it so maintainable.)

Went there with a college swimmer needing to eat pasta or similar, so was generally not expecting to find a lot of good choices. However, ingredient list for CC looked fine (chicken, red wine, tomato, mushrooms, etc.), so I gave it a try. Have never had it.

I'd say it's the best SCD-compliant meal I've had in a restaurant. Could be I just had a good one and others may not be as nice, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Google shows LOTS of low-carb chicken cacciatore recipes, so I'm going to give one a try in the near future.

• 1 month later...

Here's my latest experiment in unfry chicken, which I have just successfully devoured.

unfrychicken2.jpg

Two split breasteses cut in half to facilitate quicker even cooking, coated with with a mayo based concoction that includes a dab of spicy mustard, little dash of cumin, paprika I forget what else if anything. I seasoned the chicken with some pepper and garlic sea salt then slathered with the mayo mixture, enough for full contact but not too goopy. I then placed on a foiled baking sheet and sprinkled a liberal amount of grated Parmesan cheese, and baked it at 375 for 35-40 minutes.

It was pretty dang tasty, if I do say so myself.

Serving suggestion, take a chunk of butternut squash and microwave as a baked potato. It is somewhat similar to sweet potato, not as sweet but has a nice light flavor. Butter, pepper, a bit more Parmesan sprinkled in and it's quite nice and practically carb free.

unfrychicken.jpg

I also threw in some cut up jalapeno and onion in a small pan while it was baking. Toss a couple of low carb tortillas in the oven at the last minute to warm, and cut up some of the chicken to consume in fajita/taco style.

• Like 3

We do eggplant pizzas instead of crust pizzas. Skin the eggplant, cut into thin slices, and put on a cookie sheet. Add a couple tbs of olive oil in a bowl and mix in a tsp of salt and pepper. Coat the sliced eggplants with the olive oil mixture on both sides. Cook each side for 10 minutes at 450 degrees. Add low cal pizza sauce, skim mozzarella cheese, and turkey pepperonis. Back an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted to your liking. 

A substitute for spaghetti noodles we use is spaghetti squash. Get a medium sized one, cut it down the middle, place it face down on a Corningware dish with 1/4 cup of water. Put some plastic wrap over the top and cook for 10-12 minutes or until you can pierce the outside of the squash with a fork and make the fork go fully inside. Take it out, pull out the guts and seeds and then use the fork to scrape spaghetti strings out from the interior. Pretty tasty but add some pepper to combat the sweetness.  

Edited by mdmost