Malcolm Roach

Rip76

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I don't think Roach was that great. I agree Orlando sucked but Roach to me always was a "workout warrior" but ultimately a JAG on the field.

If used properly he could have been very disruptive. Having him drop into coverage was retarded. 

• Like 6

Roach was put in the game at LB. He consequently was wildly ineffective and got hurt. Nothing more need be said.

Orlando called defenses, and placed players in positions, like he was playing NCAAFB on Rookie level.

I fully expect Roach to have a very good NFL career, at the least a situational DT pass rusher.

Edited by pacman

2 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

Roach has been criminally misused throughout his career after his freshman season. He calls a spade a spade and says what we're all thinking. I don't find that to be a complaint.

In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. You state a basic and valid opinion, people go into vapors.

• Like 4

Orlando is a moron.  His scheme worked when we had fast and talented LBs like Malik and GJ.  Then he decided he wanted to fucking put Roach, a twitchy disruptive DE at MLB at 275 lbs.  I remember Matt Canada abusing us on jet sweeps.... probably bc a 275 DE isn’t going to play well in space.  

Roach, much like Omenihu, was severely misused here at Texas.  Like someone mentioned above, Texas was quite talented along the DL the last two years.  Instead of playing to our strengths, Orlando chose to stick to a stupid scheme and make our strength completely useless.  

Roach is a 100% right.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Orlando is a moron.  His scheme worked when we had fast and talented LBs like Malik and GJ.  Then he decided he wanted to fucking put Roach, a twitchy disruptive DE at MLB at 275 lbs.  I remember Matt Canada abusing us on jet sweeps.... probably bc a 275 DE isn’t going to play well in space.  

Roach, much like Omenihu, was severely misused here at Texas.  Like someone mentioned above, Texas was quite talented along the DL the last two years.  Instead of playing to our strengths, Orlando chose to stick to a stupid scheme and make our strength completely useless.  

Roach is a 100% right.

That's what Yurcich used against us with Taylor fucking Cornelius running zone read two years ago. Orlando never adjusted and they ran for over 200 yards while we're just standing there with our thumbs up our asses. Also didn't help that Corndog had the best game of his career thru the air against that fucking blockhead either. 

Fuck Todd Orlando I hope he burns USC to the ground. 

The problem for Roach is that he was misused the entire time he was here. Now he has to depend on NFL scouts who don’t make shit and aren’t good enough to coach, to make a case for a team to draft or sign him. As fucked up as Todd Orlando was with the defense, the NFL is just as fucked up when it comes to evaluating talent. 

Edited by texaslong

1 hour ago, texaslong said:

The problem for Roach is that he was misused the entire time he was here. Now he has to depend on NFL scouts who don’t make shit and aren’t good enough to coach, to make a case for a team to draft or sign him. As fucked up as Todd Orlando was with the defense, the NFL is just as fucked up when it comes to evaluating talent. 

So you're saying that he'll go to Seattle?

• Like 5

4 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

That's what Yurcich used against us with Taylor fucking Cornelius running zone read two years ago. Orlando never adjusted and they ran for over 200 yards while we're just standing there with our thumbs up our asses. Also didn't help that Corndog had the best game of his career thru the air against that fucking blockhead either. 

Fuck Todd Orlando I hope he burns USC to the ground. 

If Orlando by some miracle learns from his bullshit mistakes, it won't surprise me to see USC's defense be better this season...  USC's LB's have to be better than the crap Texas played at LB last season...

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

If Orlando by some miracle learns from his bullshit mistakes, it won't surprise me to see USC's defense be better this season...  USC's LB's have to be better than the crap Texas played at LB last season...

The miracle should have occurred last year. When it became obvious that LB was going to be a weakness we should have shifted the scheme to let the DL handle outside contain, rush the passer, etc. Orlando is too dumb to adjust to anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/14/2020 at 9:55 AM, Rhinotx said:

If used properly he could have been very disruptive. Having him drop into coverage was retarded. 

This. Todd Orlando should be forced to compensate Roach for all of the money he likely cost him in the draft. Not first or second round, but definitely something. As it is, I hope he's able to show what he can do as a UFA. 

Orlando was and is on the Davisian level of having a complete inability to determine his unit’s strengths and weaknesses during the spring and in fall practice. His opponents usually made it quite clear to him by mid to late season after abusing his terrible assumptions about our personnel and their abilities. 

He’s also a strict adherent to having his best 11 on the field  which, in his blockheaded logic, means that Malcom Roach will play MLB and cover WR’s up the boundary because Roach was one of his best  players in a vaguely LB shaped body. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

On 2/14/2020 at 4:59 PM, texaslong said:

So if they don’t go on game tape, what are NFL scouts supposed to go on?  Rivals HS rankings? Shuttle times?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2020 at 9:49 AM, BrazilHorn said:

I don't think Roach was that great. I agree Orlando sucked but Roach to me always was a "workout warrior" but ultimately a JAG on the field.

Disagree. He was productive and will be a productive pro. 

On 2/14/2020 at 8:36 PM, Auto Driller said:

The miracle should have occurred last year. When it became obvious that LB was going to be a weakness we should have shifted the scheme to let the DL handle outside contain, rush the passer, etc. Orlando is too dumb to adjust to anything.

yes and a pass rush against a freshman QB from TCU might have helped to keep from exposing our shitty DB's*due to injury) as well.

you can't be married to a scheme and you HAVE to be able to adjust when personnel dictates it.

I can't believe we had to go through 3 years of that fucking moronic shit.

To be fair, the ends on a three down lineman alignment will never be on the highlight reel. They are lane cloggers. The NT is more glamorous because they occasionally overpower the center or shoot the gap and get a TFL or a sack.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

To be fair, the ends on a three down lineman alignment will never be on the highlight reel. They are lane cloggers. The NT is more glamorous because they occasionally overpower the center or shoot the gap and get a TFL or a sack.

DEs in a 3 down will almost always have less sacks, but a 3 down didn’t require that our DEs align in the 4i on obvious passing downs. That shit was all on Orlando and he did guys like Roach, Bimage, Omenihu, etc. a disservice by doing so. That kind of stuff was entirely on Orlando, same as failing to use a 4th rusher, which most DCs who use a 3 down actually do, and we saw what happens when you do those things in the Tech and Utah games (while still using 3 down linemen), where we had 9 total sacks, with 6 of those coming from the 3 down linemen.

In the other 11 games, we averaged 1.5 sacks per game, so yeah that shit is way more on Orlando than simply using a 3 down alignment. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Malcolm Roach, Texas

Best team fits: Carolina Panthers, Detroit Lions, Arizona Cardinals.

Roach moves incredibly well for his size at 6-foot-2 and nearly 300 pounds. He was quick through the bags and change-of-direction drills and powerful in the pass-rushing drills, and his swift 4.84 40 should raise some eyebrows. Roach's 20 bench press reps fall right in line with his size, and he could do well working as a 3-technique with the capability to power past blockers. His standing with the third-best athleticism score among edge defenders (per Next Gen Stats) only reinforces what we saw on the field in Indianapolis.

• Like 2