Malcolm Roach

Rip76

On 3/4/2020 at 10:26 AM, Burt Macklin said:

DEs in a 3 down will almost always have less sacks, but a 3 down didn’t require that our DEs align in the 4i on obvious passing downs. That shit was all on Orlando and he did guys like Roach, Bimage, Omenihu, etc. a disservice by doing so. That kind of stuff was entirely on Orlando, same as failing to use a 4th rusher, which most DCs who use a 3 down actually do, and we saw what happens when you do those things in the Tech and Utah games (while still using 3 down linemen), where we had 9 total sacks, with 6 of those coming from the 3 down linemen.

In the other 11 games, we averaged 1.5 sacks per game, so yeah that shit is way more on Orlando than simply using a 3 down alignment. 

Agree. I was referring to Orlando’s particular brand of three man front. The Baylor three down alignment showed sacks were possible. 

On 3/3/2020 at 1:50 PM, futureman said:

how much did he weigh last season?

I am curious about this also. Was he really playing near 300 like he weighed in at combine? I figured he was in the 275 range but idk 

Also wtf is all combine defense team?

i would have guessed he was playing in 280-290 range, closer to 290.  current roster shows 290.

i think he was pushing 275 the previous year when we were playing him as a DE/LB hybrid.

Edited by Hmmm

22 hours ago, cam4mav said:

Malcolm Roach, Texas

Best team fits: Carolina Panthers, Detroit Lions, Arizona Cardinals.

Roach moves incredibly well for his size at 6-foot-2 and nearly 300 pounds. He was quick through the bags and change-of-direction drills and powerful in the pass-rushing drills, and his swift 4.84 40 should raise some eyebrows. Roach's 20 bench press reps fall right in line with his size, and he could do well working as a 3-technique with the capability to power past blockers. His standing with the third-best athleticism score among edge defenders (per Next Gen Stats) only reinforces what we saw on the field in Indianapolis.

Of those 3 teams, Carolina is probably the best option for Malcolm...

45 minutes ago, Hmmm said:

i would have guessed he was playing in 280-290 range, closer to 290.  current roster shows 290.

i think he was pushing 275 the previous year when we were playing him as a DE/LB hybrid.

it was hilarious watching us flex him outside and have him cover TE and RB at that size. Like, just cause he could kind of do it..... doesn't mean that he SHOULD.... 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Orlando is a fucking asshole and is going to cost Roach money.  He totally wasted his athleticism. 

Actually I blame Herman a lot more.  he hired Orlando, knew what D he was going to run, knew that he was married to it come hell or high water, and failed to recruit well enough for it.

when our DB's became a MASH unit there was no way to hide it.

He also could have demoted him after the Kansas and TCU debacles and promoted Naivar.  might have changed the ISU outcome.  likely not Baylor but who knows after the Utah game showing.

it was hilarious watching us flex him outside and have him cover TE and RB at that size. Like, just cause he could kind of do it..... doesn't mean that he SHOULD.... 

You know, he crushed some back his freshman year dropping into coverage and I was excited as hell to watch him.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Nope said:

Damn, I came in here thinking it would be bad news. 

#TRACCCYYYYY

I thought the same after seeing the PJ, Malik, and LJH news.  Then I realized he had one of the best combines at the draft and his work ethic is 2nd to none.  I really hope he stays at 290ish and plays inside.  His get off and speed at his size is insane.  It makes up for his lack of height and length.   He used him in all the wrong ways due to our  stupid schemes.  

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I thought the same after seeing the PJ, Malik, and LJH news.  Then I realized he had one of the best combines at the draft and his work ethic is 2nd to none.  I really hope he stays at 290ish and plays inside.  His get off and speed at his size is insane.  It makes up for his lack of height and length.   He used him in all the wrong ways due to our  stupid schemes.  

He also most likely knew the playbook better than any other incoming rookie based on his track record 

Hook'em Malcolm! Looks like he is going to join the club of Deshon Elliot, Trey Hopkins, Marcus Johnson, Malcolm Brown, Kris Boyd, Holton Hill, Adrian Phillips, Quandre Diggs, and Poona Ford as Texas players who were picked late or undrafted in the last 6 years that have established a career in the NFL.

On 9/6/2020 at 10:30 AM, victory88 said:

Historians in the future will wonder how this NFL beast could have been so improperly utilized.  Holy cow what a steal for the Saints.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Getting snaps at DT as a rookie in the NFL?  But just think how good he would be at MLB against a team whose offense is based on jet sweeps!  

Todd Orlando is the worst coach we ever had.   Charlie Strong, Shawn Watson and Greg David did a lot of simple minded things and lacked creativity.   Todd Orlando just did batshit crazy things.

Really crazy how poorly Malcolm was used at TEXAS.  Awesome that Saints are already playing him today!!!  (#97 at Defensive Tackle)

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Getting snaps at DT as a rookie in the NFL?  But just think how good he would be at MLB against a team whose offense is based on jet sweeps!  

Todd Orlando is the worst coach we ever had.   Charlie Strong, Shawn Watson and Greg Davis did a lot of simple minded things and lacked creativity.   Todd Orlando just did batshit crazy things.

Manny Diaz

On 9/13/2020 at 3:46 PM, LTtxfan said:

Really crazy how poorly Malcolm was used at TEXAS.  Awesome that Saints are already playing him today!!!  (#97 at Defensive Tackle)

Roach’s problem wasn’t that he was ‘misused’ - his problem was that he was so talented and versatile that Texas used him wherever he was most needed at the time. 

His positional versatility likely helped him to make an NFL roster. 

On 9/13/2020 at 2:41 PM, longhornmatt said:

Todd Orlando is the worst coach we ever had.   Charlie Strong, Shawn Watson and Greg Davis did a lot of simple minded things and lacked creativity.   Todd Orlando just did batshit crazy things.

Bobby jack wright was still worse