Constructing a barn/shop

Errestaurants

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

I like the idea of outlets every five feet. You can't have enough. If I ever get to build my own garage it will also have some 220 volt electric heaters and lots of insulation. Spent two much time working on cars in cold garages.

I have 220 for welding. Outlet next to work bench

Looks amazing.  That level foundation will gather water.  We did the same thing with a hunting cabin/barn thing.  Extended a patio area very similar to what's on the left side of your fourth picture.  Rain blows underneath the awning area and will occasionally gather in a corner.  A 5" rise or step to go inside would've solved, but we did the entire foundation level like you did.  It's even slightly (very slightly) crowned in the middle but it still happens if we get anywhere from 4 to 6 inches.

The woodwork inside is straight up amazing.  Very impressive.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Looks amazing.  That level foundation will gather water.  We did the same thing with a hunting cabin/barn thing.  Extended a patio area very similar to what's on the left side of your fourth picture.  Rain blows underneath the awning area and will occasionally gather in a corner.  A 5" rise or step to go inside would've solved, but we did the entire foundation level like you did.  It's even slightly (very slightly) crowned in the middle but it still happens if we get anywhere from 4 to 6 inches.

The woodwork inside is straight up amazing.  Very impressive.  

Water gathers only on the front and slightly. Its actually crowned, the pictures dont show it. The back drops off. We were able to put in a conventional septic partly for that reason--good drainage. 

6 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

I like the idea of outlets every five feet. You can't have enough. If I ever get to build my own garage it will also have some 220 volt electric heaters and lots of insulation. Spent two much time working on cars in cold garages.

have you considered the benefits of 221 volts ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, llanoflash said:

i am a little jealous. i have to piss out the door of my weak ass man cave. no shitter.

thinking about drilling a hole in the wall and sticking a funnel thru it.

Don't invite aggys to your man cave then

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've long wanted to build a barndo somewhere at the coast. Maybe 1200 sq ft of living space and room for 2 boats on the garage side. Totally builder grade. Formica counters, basic appliances, eat in kitchen, small living space. Probably 2 bedrooms with room for multiple sets of bunks in one, and a single bathroom with a stand up shower and toilet. 

• Like 2

We are looking at possibly doing a barndominium type build if we can sell our house and find the right property. Obviously it will have to have a bit nicer finish since it will be the wife's primary residence. But if done right we should be able to afford more acreage and get a floorplan closer to what we want than if we went with an old ranch style home on acreage.

• Like 2

Awesome. I’ve been looking at a lot of these recently.

Did you buy a kit? If so, who did you go through?

I’ve been looking at a lot online. Anywhere from specific manufacturers direct to eBay. All of the kits bolt together (no welding) and have the premade insulation to put in (was also thinking about the spray).

My thought was get the slab poured ready for electric lines underground, septic and well. Later look at solar with battery storage, try to go completely off grid.

I was going to finish out the inside myself pieces at a time.

Are there any resources that a dipshit like me should look at in particular. I could do it all myself with my brothers. It seems pretty simple but we’re there any unexpected or unplanned occurrences that you didn’t foresee?

• Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 7:30 PM, Errestaurants said:

Yes sir. Messed up. Going to put a 32 inch offset shitter in.

In a spec house by a volume home builder in Cedar Park I saw a toilet drainpipe  that was misplaced by about 4’ into a bedroom after the slab was poured, the house shell framed & dried in. Of course the builder had to jackhammer the slab to dig a channel into the adjoining bathroom, replumb the pipe, and situate the pot properly.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

Awesome. I’ve been looking at a lot of these recently.

Did you buy a kit? If so, who did you go through?

I’ve been looking at a lot online. Anywhere from specific manufacturers direct to eBay. All of the kits bolt together (no welding) and have the premade insulation to put in (was also thinking about the spray).

My thought was get the slab poured ready for electric lines underground, septic and well. Later look at solar with battery storage, try to go completely off grid.

I was going to finish out the inside myself pieces at a time.

Are there any resources that a dipshit like me should look at in particular. I could do it all myself with my brothers. It seems pretty simple but we’re there any unexpected or unplanned occurrences that you didn’t foresee?

It’s a weld up mueller building. You can either do a weld up or a precut bolt with mueller. You can have a pole barn built that’s what the the Amish typically build. This is  40x60 and if I remember 16 feet to the eaves so it’s pretty tall. Building ran me around $36k. Simple rectangle building is pretty straight forward but tieing in the wrap around porch is difficult. 

I did spray foam both open and closed cell. Pretty happy. I also have mini split A/C system inside the apartment. So far it’s been pretty perfect for heat and AC. 

• Like 2

My parents are doing something similar.  They're getting close to finished.  Picking out flooring, lights, fans, etc right now.

1st floor living space is about 1200 sq ft (living room, kitchen, master bedroom, master bath, 1/2 bath.

2nd floor is another 600 sq ft (2nd bedroom and bathroom).

Shop is 1200 sq ft and pretty tall.  There's a 15' breezeway between the shop and living space.  Each end will eventually have glass-panel garage doors.  Above the breezeway is a 600 sq ft bonus room for storage and man cave. 

If you include the breezeway, porch and carport area in front of the shop, there's about 3000 sq ft of covered outdoor area.  Lots of 42 will be played.

IMG-20180325-192701.jpg

IMG-20180415-195440.jpg

IMG-20180415-195804.jpg

IMG-20180429-192216.jpg

IMG-20180508-135407.jpg

IMG-20180512-134758.jpg

• Like 7

Washer & dryer will go in the shop under the stairs along with a sink.  The wall opposite the stairs in the shop will have pegboard from about the 4' to 8' level.  From 4' down to the floor will be something else - maybe corrugated steel or more of that tan siding you see under the stairs.

IMG-20181005-145659.jpg

IMG-20181005-145729.jpg

IMG-20181018-172601.jpg

IMG-20181018-172616.jpg

IMG-20181207-164148.jpg

IMG-20181207-165015.jpg

• Like 3

Nice work,  @Longhorn Al

I like the spray foam insulation (have it at my joint in the brush) and the raw pine ship lap (have that, too.)  Great looking place!!

My only question for  you is did you install the foam closure where all over your roof, wall and soffit panels intersect with each other.  If it was left open the bats will soon find the holes and take up residence.

• Like 2

The entire metal inclosure is sprayed with closed cell and between the walls of the apartment is open cell. Its about as sealed as you can get. This place is in Kemp in Kaufman county about an hour east of Dallas. Never seen any bats. I think the Meth keeps em away.

Nevermind. Just saw that was for Al.

Edited by Errestaurants

38 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

The entire metal inclosure is sprayed with closed cell and between the walls of the apartment is open cell. Its about as sealed as you can get. This place is in Kemp in Kaufman county about an hour east of Dallas. Never seen any bats. I think the Meth keeps em away.

Nevermind. Just saw that was for Al.

Never seen  a bat.....yet.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 12:50 PM, Errestaurants said:

Lots menonites in our area. They done the woodwork

The Mennonites are a hard working bunch.  We have a few around Uvalde. One, in particular, does septic work, caliche / rock hauling, grading, site prep and running water lines.  He is a great guy that always negotiates against himself and lowers his prices without any reason to do so.  He always says "it was easier than I thought it would be."  When is  the last time you heard that?  NEVER!  I keep telling him that I'll pay his already inexpensive price (and I do) because he's the only guy that shows up on time, does the work and does the work stone sober.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Nice work,  @Longhorn Al

I like the spray foam insulation (have it at my joint in the brush) and the raw pine ship lap (have that, too.)  Great looking place!!

My only question for  you is did you install the foam closure where all over your roof, wall and soffit panels intersect with each other.  If it was left open the bats will soon find the holes and take up residence.

Interesting. I believe all the little nooks have a spray foam in them. I'll have to check.

My dad is 72. We've had a couple of family/friends that build a house and then kick off when they finish. My dad has already told the builder that he'll just never finish. Keep going. Add a barn. Add a pavilion with outdoor kitchen. Add an above ground pool. Expand the tank. 

Funny guy, but I like the way he thinks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

The Mennonites are a hard working bunch.  We have a few around Uvalde. One, in particular, does septic work, caliche / rock hauling, grading, site prep and running water lines.  He is a great guy that always negotiates against himself and lowers his prices without any reason to do so.  He always says "it was easier than I thought it would be."  When is  the last time you heard that?  NEVER!  I keep telling him that I'll pay his already inexpensive price (and I do) because he's the only guy that shows up on time, does the work and does the work stone sober.

In my area there is a cabinet maker, furniture guy, fence/general welding/weed spray/custom baling, electrician, septic/dirt guy and a general kinda handyman. They all have their own specialty. They've all been on my place and have a key.

So... Just spitballing here.... But assume a guy had a piece of property that he wants to build a house and a shop on at some point. Feasibility of building the barn/shop with living quarters first, living in it, and then building the house at some point?  

7 minutes ago, pops said:

So... Just spitballing here.... But assume a guy had a piece of property that he wants to build a house and a shop on at some point. Feasibility of building the barn/shop with living quarters first, living in it, and then building the house at some point?  

That's what my parents wanted to do.  Turned into just doing what you see above.  A lot of expense went into making the property livable: cut a road, bridge the creek, install electric poles, dig a well, septic, gas, etc.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, pops said:

Uh...um yea...do it. Thats what most people do

1 hour ago, pops said:

Zoning could be an issue.

3 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Where we live a pole barn requires a lot less permits to build than a house although really is a house with a large garage. 

It's the whole kitchen thing that usually gets people, sometimes it a full bath that does it. Once a 220 outlet is seen it screams stove, which screams residence.