Constructing a barn/shop

Errestaurants

We're six months in and already adding on to our cabin / shop in Kimble Co.  Added this slab and covered area last week.  I scored an 8'x8' walk-in cooler, so that'll be on the far end.  Ran a drain line stub under concrete.  So, we'll poke power out and add 220V for the cooler, lights and a few outlets for the cleaning area.  Also extend the PEX for the sink.  We should still have enough room for the tractor when we pull the trigger there.

IMG-0979.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty cool thread. 

My dad bought 100 acres in the Kansas flint hills about 15 years ago. He built a toy barn first, then a cabin overlooking a valley. The two of us did about 95% of the work (we are both in the construction industry). He is almost done with his "hotel" (guest cabin) now, but he wanted to do it 100% himself so I haven't done anything on that one. Next project is to extend the barn another 30' or 40' feet because he's accumulated too many toys and has to move them all out to use his wood shop. 

I moved about 2 hours away and don't get out there much any more, but you can't pick a better spot to watch a sunset or a storm roll in than the porch of his cabin. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, seven said:

Pretty cool thread. 

My dad bought 100 acres in the Kansas flint hills about 15 years ago. He built a toy barn first, then a cabin overlooking a valley. The two of us did about 95% of the work (we are both in the construction industry). He is almost done with his "hotel" (guest cabin) now, but he wanted to do it 100% himself so I haven't done anything on that one. Next project is to extend the barn another 30' or 40' feet because he's accumulated too many toys and has to move them all out to use his wood shop. 

I moved about 2 hours away and don't get out there much any more, but you can't pick a better spot to watch a sunset or a storm roll in than the porch of his cabin. 

Pretty cool.  Have a few dad memories that will last forever like this.  Priceless.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

That looks fantastic! What area are you in? That is my retirement plan right there. I want to have a barndo in Mills County and a place in Colorado to hang out at in the summer.

Kaufman county. Kemp, about an hour southeast of dallas. Mills county has some nice deer

10 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Kaufman county. Kemp, about an hour southeast of dallas. Mills county has some nice deer

Keep up the good work. My wife’s family has been in Mills County for almost a 100 years, I hunt there every Fall, we are covered up with deer for sure.

• Like 1

re: OPs barndominium - any thought to putting up plywood on the externals walls before the metal panels? I also did steel to steel for my casita, and I wonder how much of a pain it will be if I ever have to replace the walls. Not sure what the life span for those walls would be... 20, 30, 40+? I hope I don't regret not having an under layer. 

2 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

re: OPs barndominium - any thought to putting up plywood on the externals walls before the metal panels? I also did steel to steel for my casita, and I wonder how much of a pain it will be if I ever have to replace the walls. Not sure what the life span for those walls would be... 20, 30, 40+? I hope I don't regret not having an under layer. 

are your metal walls screwed in to the purlin?

Which Gator Trax is that?  I have the 1850 with a MB 35 on the back. 
Pretty sure it's a 1648. Bought it used and rigged it for redfishing.

This thread has me seriously interested in building something similar down by the coast for boat storage and a weekend / party / man cave getaway. Fraction of the cost of coastal real estate. Survive a storm surge. Minutes away from the boat ramp...
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Pretty sure it's a 1648. Bought it used and rigged it for redfishing.

This thread has me seriously interested in building something similar down by the coast for boat storage and a weekend / party / man cave getaway. Fraction of the cost of coastal real estate. Survive a storm surge. Minutes away from the boat ramp...

Exactly what I want to do. 

A few updates.

Floor is in. It's a water-resistant vinyl. Lots of cushion, dog-proof and tough. Texture feels like wood.

Black granite counters are in. Haven't been cut for fixtures. Those were just selected today. My mom wanted more of a matte finish, but these are mirror-like. Oh well.

Kitchen sink and bathroom sinks are in. 

Stairs were finished. Waiting on wrought iron hand rail.

P.S. That white lower cabinet door will be green. Some sort of mistake was made. Who knows.

FB-IMG-1555139987803.jpg

FB-IMG-1555139991657.jpg

FB-IMG-1555139996899.jpg

FB-IMG-1555140000192.jpg

FB-IMG-1555140003616.jpg

FB-IMG-1555140006757.jpg

FB-IMG-1555140009996.jpg

FB-IMG-1555140013003.jpg

FB-IMG-1555140016894.jpg

FB-IMG-1555140019467.jpg

• Like 3