Constructing a barn/shop

Errestaurants

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2019 at 1:47 PM, seven said:

Pretty cool thread. 

My dad bought 100 acres in the Kansas flint hills about 15 years ago. He built a toy barn first, then a cabin overlooking a valley. The two of us did about 95% of the work (we are both in the construction industry). He is almost done with his "hotel" (guest cabin) now, but he wanted to do it 100% himself so I haven't done anything on that one. Next project is to extend the barn another 30' or 40' feet because he's accumulated too many toys and has to move them all out to use his wood shop. 

I moved about 2 hours away and don't get out there much any more, but you can't pick a better spot to watch a sunset or a storm roll in than the porch of his cabin. 

Where is your dad's place?  I went to school at both K-State and KU, spent a decent amount of time in the Flint Hills.  The burning season was always my favorite thing to do at my college job.  I think the Cottonwood Falls area takes the cake for best scenery in Kansas.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Where is your dad's place?  I went to school at both K-State and KU, spent a decent amount of time in the Flint Hills.  The burning season was always my favorite thing to do at my college job.  I think the Cottonwood Falls area takes the cake for best scenery in Kansas.

Between Topeka and Manhattan, about 15 miles south of I-70. I actually went out there a few weeks ago to see him and it happened to be burn day. First time I've participated in that. It's pretty wild to see the entire countryside on fire. 

txVKrjD_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

WwgIiwO_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

16 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

What have I been doing with my life?

Seriously cool stuff. We're in the process of buying land to put in a tiny house (converted shipping containers) and a combination barn/storage unit. I had some plans in mind that now seem totally inadequate. Back to the drawing board.

We are in the process of splitting up some family land co-owned by my cousins and my dad.  Dad and I currently have a couple of 20' containers near the tractor barn that will eventually go to one of the cousins.  Dad has 50 acres he separately owns that adjoins one part of the property and we are going to move the containers there.  I've been playing with arrangements to put a shed over the containers to store a tractor and dozer.   I was thinking I would just use the 20s but  have decided to go ahead and buy a 40' high bay container and put the  two 20s end to end and the 40'  spaced 30' foot away to create a  1200ft^2 barn.    It will look something like this but with different dimensions.  Thinking about 12' clearance under the joists to allow for  indoor storage of a travel trailer.

Container-Barn-Sketcup-2.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, davidg said:

We are in the process of splitting up some family land co-owned by my cousins and my dad.  Dad and I currently have a couple of 20' containers near the tractor barn that will eventually go to one of the cousins.  Dad has 50 acres he separately owns that adjoins one part of the property and we are going to move the containers there.  I've been playing with arrangements to put a shed over the containers to store a tractor and dozer.   I was thinking I would just use the 20s but  have decided to go ahead and buy a 40' high bay container and put the  two 20s end to end and the 40'  spaced 30' foot away to create a  1200ft^2 barn.    It will look something like this but with different dimensions.  Thinking about 12' clearance under the joists to allow for  indoor storage of a travel trailer.

Container-Barn-Sketcup-2.jpg

That is absolutely awesome!  One of the things we talked about before we found a company that does really good container conversions was a log cabin with a dog run; we've always liked that style, like the house at Barrington Farms (Washington on the Brazos). But this looks so cool, we may re-evaluate. We could have the dog run after all...

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like damn near every squeeze chute/head gate you see is Priefert. I never realized that the company in small town east Texas was so big. My dad used to get so pissed st me when I would miss catching them in the head gate and we had to bring them back around. Good times.

• Like 1

Basically. You might put them in the head chute to worm them or put an ear tag in. You could also put one in if you have a cow having issues having a calf. Damn near anything that you need to do and keep them still. They will swing their heads and knock the shit out of you if your not paying attention, so a headgate is a perfect answer for that.

• Like 1

Did a job at a restaurant a few years back and snagged this 8x8 walk-in cooler.  Still runs, but a little rough around the edges.  My old man and I put it together a few weeks ago.  Fun project.  Went together fairly smoothly, but still had to make a few modifications.  Hoping to get the refrigeration unit up and running this summer so we can hang deer this fall.  In the meantime, we have a nice place to store corn and protein.

IMG-1219.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Did a job at a restaurant a few years back and snagged this 8x8 walk-in cooler.  Still runs, but a little rough around the edges.  My old man and I put it together a few weeks ago.  Fun project.  Went together fairly smoothly, but still had to make a few modifications.  Hoping to get the refrigeration unit up and running this summer so we can hang deer this fall.  In the meantime, we have a nice place to store corn and protein.

IMG-1219.jpg

I got my ice machine from closing a restaurant. Makes and holds 600 pounds. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got around to picking up a few toys for the ranch over the past few weeks.  Been slammed at work and haven't been out there as much as I would like this summer.  Also, it's hot as balls out there.  

Ended up going smaller than I wanted on the tractor with a JD 300E.  I'm 50/50 with my old man on everything and he was adamant that he didn't want anything bigger.  I wanted to splurge and get the Kubota LA1065 and he wanted a smaller Mahindra.  The JD300E was a good compromise.  Also picking up a Polaris this week.  We had my dad's jeep up there, but it was tough for kids and older folks to climb in and out.  The Polaris should be a nice addition.  We put up a little shade structure to park everything under.  Polaris will stay in the shop.  Headed up there this week and will post pics of some of the recent work.

18 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

We are over off 479. Luckily on top of a ridge at camp so it is usually windy but fuck it is hot. You north of Junction? @Spaulding Smails

Oh nice.  You're much closer than us.  I sometimes cut across 479 to Segovia.  That's a beautiful stretch.  We're northwest of Junction near Roosevelt.  Off 1674 headed towards Ft McKavett.  We put our camp at the high point on the ranch as well.  Nice to get that breeze, but doesn't do much good when it's 105.