2019 New Music Thread

C-Man

On 2/13/2019 at 6:49 PM, Buzzrock said:

Give it a little time. And skip the radio edit, the full track has that Foals build up. I’m ready for moar tracks now!

this finally clicked for me and i'm digging it. wearing out the new national song as well, although i can't figure out if i genuinely like or just intrigued by it. 

and i was really excited to hear the new local natives song, and it just . . kind of . . sounds like the rest of their stuff that i've marginally enjoyed since gorilla manor.

• Like 1

I have a terrible, terrible memory eaten up by two decades of booze, but has anyone on this thread brought up Helado Negro? Digging the SHIT out of his new album 'This is how you smile'. Coincidentally, his vibe is like a Latinx Local Natives with maybe some Kings of Convenience thrown in there.

Anyway, he'll be all over TX in mid May

14 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

I have a terrible, terrible memory eaten up by two decades of booze, but has anyone on this thread brought up Helado Negro? Digging the SHIT out of his new album 'This is how you smile'. Coincidentally, his vibe is like a Latinx Local Natives with maybe some Kings of Convenience thrown in there.

interesting. thanks

3 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

Came here to post about the new Local Natives. Look, they're not an evolving band and pretty formulaic, but their new single "when am I gonna lose you" is goddam great.

oooh, this is much better than cafe amarillo. 

and i need some more time with foals, but liking it. 'sunday' is a jam.

i listened to their first record a year or two ago once or twice but really, really liking the new caracara single.

Does anybody else think that today's rap and hip hop all sounds the same? All of these new artists have the same dumb ass flow. It's hard to describe without linking to videos. Here's the worst of them, it's this "BUH da! BUH da! BUH da!" cadence at 0:35

And for the longest time everyone was doing this "buhbuhda buhbuhda buhbuha buh" cadence at 0:38

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Good lord, is it just me or is Vampire Weekend’s new single “Sunflower” an absolute mess or what?

I wouldn't call it a complete mess, but it's weird.  There were moments were I thought I was getting it, and then they start doing the vocals from the breakdown in Tenacious D's "Tribute" and it lost me.

"Big Blue" is cool, but too short.

12 hours ago, Nuge said:

Liking the Foals album.  Excited to see them tuesday.  They always put on a great show.

didn't realize they were on tour over here, then started looking at dates, then saw they're opening for interpol in a 3,000 seat venue in kansas city on may 2nd and . . . i am intrigued. 

1 hour ago, bizzle said:

didn't realize they were on tour over here, then started looking at dates, then saw they're opening for interpol in a 3,000 seat venue in kansas city on may 2nd and . . . i am intrigued. 

do it

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 9:24 AM, Bottlecap said:

See that Dallas show is supposed to be at Curtain Club. Didn't I hear that place closed this week?

They’re doing a late night show at a small venue here during Shaky Knees Fest. I’m going to have to take a nap in order to make it but I am excite.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NOMAAA said:

you and i are usually pretty in tune, but i really like the songs i have heard off this new one.  weird! 

I dig what's going on instrumentally, but usually 2-3xs per album, Farrar pulls out some melody that blows my doors off.  Not getting it yet.

while the reason is a really good song, celebrity winner is garbage.  what else came out today. 

dont care for the new modest mouse single on first spin.

courtney marie andrews is good.

shovels and rope new single is great.  that album is going to be fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

new anderson paak is great. not quite as strong as malibu but miles better than oxnard. 

slightly more off the radar (and a terrible band name) but intellexual is the two guys that have made a bunch of beats / sounds for chance the rapper, frank ocean, kanye, etc. and i don't even know how to classify this album (the go team does shoegaze?) but it's random and a good spring soundtrack.

• 2 weeks later...

no idea if it's life circumstances allowing me to listen to more music, or just randomly connecting with more albums, but I've enjoyed so much more in 2019 than the past few years combined - vampire weekend, bibio, big thief, local natives, nick murphy, anderson.paak, glen hansard, lucy rose, american football, foals, helado negro - i'm enjoying a big part of all of those albums and a bunch more. 

nomaaa is probably going to have to take multiple weeks off for his top 10 list.