2019 New Music Thread

C-Man

I'm mesmerized by the new Wilco album.

It's astonishingly good. It's what you would expect based on their recent work and also Tweedy's solo stuff, but there's something new about it.  I need to listen to it more, but the first thing that really stands out is that Glenn's drums take center stage and create a propulsive energy that carries through the album, even thought most of the songs are pretty low key.

I cannot wait to hear "Quiet Amplifier" live.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

It's astonishingly good. It's what you would expect based on their recent work and also Tweedy's solo stuff, but there's something new about it.  I need to listen to it more, but the first thing that really stands out is that Glenn's drums take center stage and create a propulsive energy that carries through the album, even thought most of the songs are pretty low key.

I like the second half a lot.  The last 3-4 Wilco albums haven't really stuck with me; just too much of that plodding, lack-of-melody, tossed off low key thing.

But man, "Love is Everywhere (Beware)" and "Hold Me Anyway" just bubble.  Hell, Nels even gets a little shredding in there.

4 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

political or not it's bad.  and i'm a fan of a lot of their stuff.

could give two shits if its political.  its whiny pussfolk.  moreso than usual. granted, i have only made it through about 20 seconds of two different songs.

I generally find that overly political music sucks, and I say that as someone whose political views are pretty close (at least on the same side of the aisle) to most musicians.  There tends to be less focus on interesting arrangements and melody, or really well written songs that move you.

Yeah, I agree with you, but fuck I don't care.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

4 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I like the second half a lot.  The last 3-4 Wilco albums haven't really stuck with me; just too much of that plodding, lack-of-melody, tossed off low key thing.

But man, "Love is Everywhere (Beware)" and "Hold Me Anyway" just bubble.  Hell, Nels even gets a little shredding in there.

I got to "Everyone Hides" on the new album on my drive into work today. Looking forward to the second half. I'm with both of you that Star Wars and Schmilco are OK, just not super memorable. I haven't listened to either in a long time but I'm sure I'd like a few more songs if I went back to it again. Not much of Wilco's stuff ever grabs me at the outset. It takes time. Hell, I saw them live at least 2 or 3 times before I was even a middling fan and tried on numerous occasions before "getting" them. Now they're among my favorite 2-3 bands ever.

45 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I generally find that overly political music sucks, and I say that as someone whose political views are pretty close (at least on the same side of the aisle) to most musicians.  There tends to be less focus on interesting arrangements and melody, or really well written songs that move you.

Yeah, I agree with you, but fuck I don't care.

"Overly political" music had it's time but that was back in the 60's/70's ending with what, the Sex Pistols? Most of the angst seems manufactured now and musicians usually aren't clever enough to make their political points in a subtle manner.

Wilco really first grabbed me when a buddy pointed me towards some of the more accessible tracks.  Being There was the first album of theirs that I loved.  It was probably Monday into Outtasite (Outta Mind)  that really sucked me in.

I love the first 5 albums, different as they might be.  I like all the rest, but I don't like anything after AGIB better than any of the first 5.

31 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Wilco really first grabbed me when a buddy pointed me towards some of the more accessible tracks.  Being There was the first album of theirs that I loved.  It was probably Monday into Outtasite (Outta Mind)  that really sucked me in.

I love the first 5 albums, different as they might be.  I like all the rest, but I don't like anything after AGIB better than any of the first 5.

Yeah it will be impossible for them to ever top the Summerteeth-YHF-AGIB run.  That's basically their Rubber Soul-Revolver-Sgt. Peppers run.

I like A.M. for sentimental reasons, but they have multiple better albums, IMO... In terms of their "stability period" albums, I think both Sky Blue Sky and The Whole Love are better/more interesting than A.M. And I really liked Star Wars for what it was... them just fucking around in the Loft and then throwing some loose, jangly songs onto an album and giving it away for free.

As for the Avett Brothers... I love them... still one of my two or three favorite bands to see live, but the new album.... yeesh.  Not really a fan on the first listen.  I don't care about the political stuff either... the songs are just... not great.  Maybe I'll give a few more listens, but at first pass I'm pretty disappointed.

And this is coming from someone who really liked True Sadness. (Of course, that album really spoke to me, as it came out the year I was going through divorce, so you could say all of the sad-sack Seth songs about separation and divorce really resonated with me, lol)

As for political albums, they can still be done and done well... see DBT's American Band for exhibit A.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Like 4

My GF and I are two of the biggest Avett Brothers fans out there. Seeing them at Red Rock was one of the greatest concert experiences of my life - borderline spiritual.

We played that Bang Bang song a few weeks ago when it came out and couldn’t even finish it. Cringy. Not because Of this politics or the message - just a horrible song. I’m scared to listen to the rest of the album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

17 hours ago, wutang75 said:

My GF and I are two of the biggest Avett Brothers fans out there. Seeing them at Red Rock was one of the greatest concert experiences of my life - borderline spiritual.

We played that Bang Bang song a few weeks ago when it came out and couldn’t even finish it. Cringy. Not because Of this politics or the message - just a horrible song. I’m scared to listen to the rest of the album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah I’m in the same boat. 

I was thinking about it last night... I think the the problem is that the Avett boys are just way too earnest for the political stuff to resonate. That earnestness works well when they are singing about personal emotion because it comes off as sincere... but when they turn it outward and start making political speeches in the middle of songs, it just comes off as.... cheesy/cringey AF.

I’ll give the guys credit for trying, but they just tried a little too hard, lol.

I still love them but this will be their first album that I don’t buy...

That’s a big part of it. Even if I agree with you I don’t want to be preached to in the middle of the song. Who wants to listen to that over and over?

Two have my favorite bands of all time(DBT and PJ) have had close to 30 year careers speaking their minds on almost every subject but they’re good enough to put it into hooks and guitar riffs that fucking rock. 

I’m hoping this is their Celebration, FL album (for the Felice fans).

On 10/5/2019 at 12:11 PM, 4th&Five said:

That’s a big part of it. Even if I agree with you I don’t want to be preached to in the middle of the song. Who wants to listen to that over and over?

Two have my favorite bands of all time(DBT and PJ) have had close to 30 year careers speaking their minds on almost every subject but they’re good enough to put it into hooks and guitar riffs that fucking rock. 

I’m hoping this is their Celebration, FL album (for the Felice fans).

I hate that pile of shit so much.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, MoJames said:

No clue on most of the albums coming out, but this crazy fuckstick has an album due. I'm not into him, but some of you might be.

Kanye West – Jesus Is Born

Saying this as someone who used to really look forward to every Kanye album, I think we can safely assume this will be complete garbage, just like Jesus is King. 

has anyone talked about the new coldplay album? i think they pretty much lost the plot with everything after viva la vida (besides a few random singles here and there), but i really have enjoyed everyday life. some filler, but church, orphans, eko, old friends, everyday life are all great. am getting old as hell, but have unexpectedly enjoyed this.

1 hour ago, bizzle said:

has anyone talked about the new coldplay album? i think they pretty much lost the plot with everything after viva la vida (besides a few random singles here and there), but i really have enjoyed everyday life. some filler, but church, orphans, eko, old friends, everyday life are all great. am getting old as hell, but have unexpectedly enjoyed this.

I ran it through once and was confused with all the explicit stuff. Maybe I'll try again.

On 10/4/2019 at 3:02 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

Necro Wilco bump.  Just listening to the new album and really like it.   
Discussions about the relative merits of their albums are great because there are so many good ones. I mostly listen to the first 6 and Sky Blue Sky is my favorite.  Disc 1 side 1 is one of the best sides of vinyl out there.  

To keep this topical, Norah Jones has a song called Wintertime on her new album written and recorded with Jeff Tweedy at the loft.  Great song and there is a really good discussion about it on the Broken Record podcast.

3 hours ago, Druggist said:

I’m not sure I can name more than 2 or 3 songs they’ve released besides Wilco (the song) since that album came out.

There's usually a couple I really like on each album.  Snoozy Tweedy has its moments, it just gets to be a beating after the 5th straight album.