All-Encompassing Thread of New York City Dominance

Lazarus Bocanegra

• 3 weeks later...

So I am taking my daughter to NYC for her 16th birthday to see "Dear Evan Hansen" at the Music Box Theater on 45th Street in June.  I have been to Europe many times, but weirdly enough, have never been to NYC.  Any suggestions for hotels?  We are probably going for two nights so will have about a day and a half of sightseeing, so I don't know if that would affect the location suggestions.  Not looking to break the bank, but obviously want to stay someplace decent in a decent location.  Pretty open to suggestions.

So I am taking my daughter to NYC for her 16th birthday to see "Dear Evan Hansen" at the Music Box Theater on 45th Street in June.  I have been to Europe many times, but weirdly enough, have never been to NYC.  Any suggestions for hotels?  We are probably going for two nights so will have about a day and a half of sightseeing, so I don't know if that would affect the location suggestions.  Not looking to break the bank, but obviously want to stay someplace decent in a decent location.  Pretty open to suggestions.

I really like the Sheraton on 57th, because you’re north of the crowd if you want to head to Central Park, natural history museum, etc., but still close to theater dist/Times Square.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks.  Do you mean 53rd?

4 minutes ago, ou97cpa said:

I really like the Sheraton on 57th, because you’re north of the crowd if you want to head to Central Park, natural history museum, etc., but still close to theater dist/Times Square.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by chitwood

We've stayed at the Park Central Hotel twice and liked it. Across the street from Carnegie Hall. 56th and 7th. A few blocks from the D and E lines to the South. One block from the N Q R W lines. Easy walk to Central Park. Maybe 10 minutes to Times Square. They're always sending me emails about discounts. 

With the kids, we stayed at the Radisson Martinique at 34th and Harold Square. Walked out the door and around the corner got us most of the subway lines. That was great for hitting places both downtown (SOL, Brooklyn Bridge) and uptown. 

Edited by mdmost

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

We've stayed at the Park Central Hotel twice and liked it. Across the street from Carnegie Hall. 56th and 7th. A few blocks from the D and E lines to the South. One block from the N Q R W lines. Easy walk to Central Park. Maybe 10 minutes to Times Square. 

Thanks, that looks pretty cool as well. Both of these suggestions are actually a little cheaper than I thought (although the freaking hotel tax and "destination fees" are ludicrous).  Would you walk from either of these places to a theater on 45th near Times Square?

Walking from those hotels to your theater will be faster than the subway.  You should take the subway when going substantial distances.  Walk everywhere you can (comfortably of course).  If you need to stop and check your map, step to one side or another.

15 minutes ago, SuperSurly said:

This

So it is unanimous.  Walking through Times Square at night is a beating.  Ended up getting a good rate at the Warwick.  Flights, hotels and theater tickets taken care of, with the flights the cheapest of the three.

Edited by chitwood

31 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'll disagree. I love Times Square at night. I always stop off there, sit on the red steps, and take it all in. Just don't get trapped by the freak show. Walk with a purpose.

Glad to hear it.  Unanimity freaks me out.

On 4/17/2018 at 1:45 PM, HenryJames said:

Walking through Times Square is a beating, especially at night.

Agreed.  Pretty difficult to walk through at any time and not be frustrated by the time you get through it.  Unfortunately you've got to see it, and it's pretty much impossible to avoid completely if you're going to a show.

Going through recruiting many moons ago, Ernst & Young touted their Times Square location as a selling point.  I thought the same as a naive Texan on my first visit.  I did not go with them, and thank my lucky stars.  I can't begin to fathom having to deal with those crowds on daily basis, especially during long ass busy season days/nights.

TMSQR sucks. period. One visit is enough. I thought that in '93 when I first visited NYC and living here the last 19 years I can assure it, it's a fucking pit. Lovely for tourists but annoying as shot for those that live here and need to access places in it or adjacent to it. 

this really stems from my overall anger at people that are: spatially unaware, loitering in places of ingress or egress, aimlessly drifting about amongst those who are walking or moving with a purpose,  taking what will be really shitty pictures, and looking up at generic architecture. 

My kid is in the air now on his way.  He is really excited to see the place, although the weather looks like the suck today.

I am heading up tomorrow and having dinner at Patsy's then I have the rest of the evening with him.  Any cool things to do 7-10:00 pm around 54th/7th?  Figured we would just walk around and check out some stuff.  Also, he has time sat and sun mornings for breakfast, where should we go in that area for breakfast??

On 4/17/2018 at 4:12 PM, chitwood said:

So it is unanimous.  Walking through Times Square at night is a beating.  Ended up getting a good rate at the Warwick.  Flights, hotels and theater tickets taken care of, with the flights the cheapest of the three.

That is where my wife and I stayed when we went last fall. Nothing fancy but great location. Short walk to Central Park, theater district, a ton of great restaurants, and subway stops. A bit of a jaunt to lower Manhattan but other than that the location was perfect. Highly recommend dinner at Marea (a 5-10 minute walk) food was fucking unreal especially the braised octopus/bone marrow pasta (Can't remember who recommend that on the old thread)

20 minutes ago, next2naus said:

TMSQR sucks. period. One visit is enough. I thought that in '93 when I first visited NYC and living here the last 19 years I can assure it, it's a fucking pit. Lovely for tourists but annoying as shot for those that live here and need to access places in it or adjacent to it. 

this really stems from my overall anger at people that are: spatially unaware, loitering in places of ingress or egress, aimlessly drifting about amongst those who are walking or moving with a purpose,  taking what will be really shitty pictures, and looking up at generic architecture. 

This. I love people watching but the collection of idiots and morons in which that place attracts is hard to put into words. Sure it was cool to see but been there done that. I will never step foot within a 5 block radius of that hell hole again. 

• 3 weeks later...

Last time I booked a room in NYC was at the Affinia Dumont on 33rd.  That was a decade ago and it's closed now.  Crashed with friends ever since.

Where does everyone stay when visiting this city?  Woman's first time so we probably want to be somewhere on Manhattan Island.  Specific neighborhood not sought.

51 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Last time I booked a room in NYC was at the Affinia Dumont on 33rd.  That was a decade ago and it's closed now.  Crashed with friends ever since.

Where does everyone stay when visiting this city?  Woman's first time so we probably want to be somewhere on Manhattan Island.  Specific neighborhood not sought.

How ugly is the woman? I'm asking because I can only imagine what a troll she must be to also be fucking an inept person like you. You said "a decade ago" so I'm presuming that you are at least 30 and have been here and other places before, so man the fuck up and find a hotel. It's not a far flung foreign country, it's NYC. 

Stay in Manhattan? Yes you should since the ogre you are bedding has never been here and you probably want o show her more of the town and less of the uber/taxi/subways. I'm guessing you are cheap so there is this: https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2016/jun/20/10-best-affordable-new-hotels-new-york-city-brooklyn ([Pick the Archer in K-town)

but this is best: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=a+nice+NYC+hotel

9 minutes ago, next2naus said:

How ugly is the woman? I'm asking because I can only imagine what a troll she must be to also be fucking an inept person like you. You said "a decade ago" so I'm presuming that you are at least 30 and have been here and other places before, so man the fuck up and find a hotel. It's not a far flung foreign country, it's NYC. 

Stay in Manhattan? Yes you should since the ogre you are bedding has never been here and you probably want o show her more of the town and less of the uber/taxi/subways. I'm guessing you are cheap so there is this: https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2016/jun/20/10-best-affordable-new-hotels-new-york-city-brooklyn ([Pick the Archer in K-town)

but this is best: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=a+nice+NYC+hotel

she has a great personality, and her mom says she's pretty.  

• 2 weeks later...

What is the best place to find info on concerts in the area?  I checked out the big venues (MSG/Radio City) and the Bowery represented places (Music Hall/Brooklyn Steel/etc), but I obviously don't know shit on venues.  If there was a place like CBGB or the Fillmore that is still open, that I should go to just to go - that would also suffice.  Phoenix is playing, but I have seen them 5 times and haven't liked much they have put out in the last 5 years or so.

25 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

What is the best place to find info on concerts in the area?  I checked out the big venues (MSG/Radio City) and the Bowery represented places (Music Hall/Brooklyn Steel/etc), but I obviously don't know shit on venues.  If there was a place like CBGB or the Fillmore that is still open, that I should go to just to go - that would also suffice.  Phoenix is playing, but I have seen them 5 times and haven't liked much they have put out in the last 5 years or so.

bandsintown app.

1 hour ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

best option to find out about shows as they are announced is the brooklyn vegan twitter feed (or actual website). unfortunately it is really a pain in the ass to get tickets to popular indie/rock bands because of high demand, so bandintown isn't great. spotify presale codes are your friend, which can generally be found by searching reddit. most of the big indie-ish bands play at brooklyn steel, which is a fine larger venue. I think music hall of williamsburg is a fun venue, which you noted in your op. 

another good venue is baby's all right in brooklyn. if you want the DIY experience, trans pecos is great, but way out on the edge of bushwick and ridgewood.

for manhattan, in addition to the litany of places around the bowery (the ballroom, mercury lounge, rockwood, etc.), a new place in alphabet city just opened, called coney island baby. I haven't had a chance to go yet, but have heard good things.  

happy to answer other questions on this topic if you have them. 

• 2 weeks later...